Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey guys, love what you're doing here. I started this very Bumskee-lit piece a while ago, but wasn't so much in the mood for painting at the time and abandoned it. Admittedly I didn't spend enough time on it as I should have to get some results, for instance the legs didn't even get past being scribbled lines. I'd be very happy to get some critics
    Hannes' and Jana's paintover thread :D

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Jana,

what a great image, and ya! that's the one that I'm trying to achieve, it's so nice that you can help me on this piece, and I'm just wondering if you have any advice or suggestion on how to practice to make a better drawing and painting? because nowadays I keep struggling and struggling to make it come true, but sometimes I really don't know where I need to go, and what should I practice..

Thank you Jana =)

Thanks
    Hi guys, really great thread you have going here.

Ive been working on this piece a bit today but am hesitant to begin coloring or even shading because I don't feel comfortable with the poses, they don't feel dynamic enough. particularly the man above. I'm also not sure about the horizon line.

No paint over necessary but a few guiding lines would be greatly appreciated.

-Jonathan

Thanks
    Jonathan, post this in the WIP area. I would like to see you try fixing the drawing. Right now all of your lines are very straight, and the pose is sitting very upright and straight. The issue with dynamism is during a sequence of an action there are only 2 really good points which exude nothing but the pure movement of the pose, that is the very beginning and ending of the action. Anything in between can look stiff. Turn the guys hips a bit, move his knee forward more, move his head up and or down, turn it a bit, you'll see such change from tweaking things at new angles. Pull his left arm back more or something. You gotta really force the stretching and preparation. You want people to say "omg he's going to break my face"

Dynamic = angles & rhythm

The bottom guy so far is the strongest on the page.

Thanks
    Jana! I love your work so much! I have this figure I tried inventing and painting half a year ago or so, but I just can't figure out how to properly paint the colors, the lighting and the face is driving me insane. If you feel like painting this over, I could gain a great deal from seeing how you change it!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 96 Posts
    Graive: thank you! but its also Hannes'/Algenpfleger's thread D:>

aLDoDarK: Oh, I'm sorry I totally forget that part. Lets be frank: I would suggest you to stop drawing in anime/manga style for a while.
    If you look at my deviantart gallery for example you will see that I also started with anime/manga related pictures. And I really regret it! Try to learn to paint more realistic. Try to get rid of big eyes and flat manga-coloring. Do some photostudies for example and then try to paint something similar from head. You can always get back to mangastyle anytime but I promise that you'll learn the most if you try to copy the nature.

Donna: youre welcome! *3*

Tetrodotoxin: I just finished my overpaint of your picture. Hey, really great rendering of her face and ball!
    Woah, that was hard for me, I suck when it comes to technical stuff.
    Except for the outlines part ( I dont like outlines ) here are some points:

Storytelling: Lets settle back and look what we have here, what do we see? We see the upperhalf of a kind of cyborg girl with a huge ball instead of legs. there are some injection in that ball. The cyborg itself is painting/browsing(?) with a tablet and is looking on a screen in a basementlike environment. that doesnt make much sense to me to be honest :'D It looks a bit like there is no real concept behind it. All elements in that picture seem to be random (I've to admit I can't remember what the theme of chow 200 was but anyway...). Even if the idea itself is totally weird is has to be plausible in the context of its own world. I hope it makes sense D:
    Thats why I removed the injections, tried to change it that it doesnt look like a basement room anymore and added more screens for a more futuristic feeling. (Thats one way to do it, you could also push the grunge part of it . I'm sure the basement and the injections would fit well then. So please dont think its the only approach )

Shapes: The reason why I changes the shapes: You use very simple, geometric shapes like tons of rectangles, the ball etc. Using too much right angles is also boring. Maybe you can keep that in mind when youre painting your next illustration
    Also important when it comes to technical stuff: try to think how it would works. I dont understand how she uses her arms for example (I think adding a shoulder works well here)

Light: the source of light is always brighter then the lighted objects. In your picture the face is brighter than the monitor D:
    Your picture was a bit muddy, the light sources could be a lot brighter if you ask me. Especially because everything else is already really dark.

I hope I gave you some points to work with

Attachment 1005521

8. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Janaschi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Haha yes my mistake. I really enjoy both of your works. I didn't know you played around in this forum. I only know you 2 from deviant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 96 Posts
    Benjaminba:
    Since you havent done much for the colors I reduced the saturation and focused on the values Maybe it would help you too to do some valuesketches before you start coloring? Also be careful! I colors already tend to be very saturated, there is a dark and atmospheric mood, more earthy colors feel more harmonious in this context (maybe start with a greyish tone as a keytone instead of a bright blue) Hmm what else should I say? Hmm I dont really liked the stairs. They take too much place. Ahh I dont know what else to say, if you have question feel free to ask D:

Attachment 1005895

HULKFish:
    hi~ Textures are insignificant. I saw that you painted every single stubble, thats not necessary (you can also construct stubbles by using a blueish tones around the face for example). I would suggest that you dont use a small brush until the very end. Try to paint instead of using lasso tool and airbrush. Use a hard round brush for example. Do some photostudies and learn how to paint hair for example and how highlights work, how light works. Paint more, airbrush less

Attachment 1005896

Aw its late, I need to go to bed °_°

11. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Janaschi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Wow, this thread is growing! Awesome, thanks for being so nice to us! Sorry for doing so little when compared how Jana rocks this boat D:

Anyways, here's pavel Sokov's!

I think, you got two main problems:
    First, your image is completely overrendered. Watch your value ranges! Everything in your painting goes from lightest lights to darkest darks, there's no overall value pattern. All these textures and highlights and shadow make you lose the readability of the form. Plus the heavy black lines, this contrast everywhere makes the picture so noisy and hard to read. So what I tried to do was lower contrast and saturation, and then make the forms read more through their local color and shape instead of texture and highlights. You should also think more about the lightsources - how can these warm muzzle blasts light the walls with such cool colors? Should be way warmer!

I think the second problem was the general composition, the perspective - how can a camera in a tunnel be that high? And even if it was, there would be more perspective in the verticals, in your picture it looks almost isometric. The main thing however is that there is hardly any overlap in the main shapes, which makes the painting look flat. Try to put stuff behind each other! Look at movies, analyze composition, you'll be amazed at how these guys do it

Soo what I'd advise you to do would be still lifes to see how lighting affects values, you'll be surprised how hard it is to even paint a light and a dark object in the same scene and make them both read! You should also try and play around with composition, make thumbnails before you start texturing to make sure it all reads

Attachment 1005892

Anyways, I'd better go to bed now, tomorrow's an important day D:

13. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, I'm floored... Seriously, I'm still smiling. Thank you so much, that was totally the direction I was going for. I might have to print this as a motivational poster: "This is where I'm at... and that is where I want to be!"

Thank you again so much, and thanks to Hannes as well. I'm sure, when I wake up tomorrow, I will still be smiling.

Thanks
    Thanks Jana for your advice, I'll try to follow it, and keep practising! =)

Thanks
    you guys are so great. I've learnt so much from all the paintovers and comments you've posted so far.

Here's a little something I started. It'd be awesome if you guys could rip it apart for me. I'd love to hear your thoughts
    I tried to throw on some colour with colour/overlay layers but it didnt work out too well so here's the B&W version haha.

Tetrodotoxin :
    I actually quite liked the linework haha. Gives off an Adam Hughes vibe

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mc2mc2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    so this is what yous do on your spare time. fantastically wonderful. ;]

Thanks
    great idea for a thread, even though you took it from someone else, still good .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGamer View Post
    so this is what yous do on your spare time. fantastically wonderful. ;]
    Do you guys know what spare time is?

Thanks for all this work
    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast