Traditonal Art Rock, Cliff, Boulder texture question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

I live in the north shore area of Massachusetts US
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Traditonal Art Rock, Cliff, Boulder texture question

Hi,

I've recently decided to get back into oil painting for the first time in about 5years. I've been primarily a sketch and digital painting artist for a while now. I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question for me. I have a lot of respect for this forum and how helpful it can be to young artists, both in age and experience. This is my first time asking for advice here, so I'll get on with it.

There is a certain type of rock texture I'm trying to create in my painting I'm working on, but am finding myself scrathing my head in my attempts.

How does one create the style texture seen in the rock framing out the piece below in oils?

John Febonio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Layering and patience? I'd do the brown with a big brush, then the black with a medium brush, then the gray and orange with a medium or small brush, then the yellow with a small brush. When in doubt use a photo reference. And keep in mind your example was done one a huge canvas, you won't be able to get that level of detail on a smaller canvas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like an impasto effect to me. Laid down some thick paint (likely the lighter color), then after it dried went back in with some thinned paint that filled in the gaps. Probably wiped off some paint on the peaks to make it pop.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Plastic Wrap.

In all seriousness though, I have seen it used as a mask before in other media.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My advice is to look at these paintings you like in person, get up close and examine the details, and then experiment with your brushes to see if you can get similar textures.

I live in the north shore area of Massachusetts US
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish with all my heart that I could look close up at Frank Frazetta's work one of these days.

I actually got a pretty high profile answer to my question. After I put this up on here I went to Joe Jusko's facebook page and asked him too. I got a response which is too awesome.

" Hi Mr Jusko,

I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I had an art question that I thought I might ask you. You're the most exact fantasy / pulp artist I've ever looked at so I thought you might know

Do you know how to create this style rock texture?"

Joe Jusko
    "Sure! Frank textured the canvas with modeling paste to create the texture where needed and then painted over it."

John Febonio

Members who have read this thread: 1