Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Journey of a Novice: Back to the Basics

Thanks

The Journey of a Novice: Back to the Basics

Hi,

Welcome to my sketchbook. I'm an aspiring artist starting at the beginning of the art. I didn't seriously begin drawing until a year and a few months ago. Since then, I have made it a goal to draw everyday and improve as much as possible. I have been shadowing this site for about a year now and believe its time to bring myself into the open. Everyone on here is absolutely amazing and committed, and I'm always inspired by the creativity here.

One of my prominent goals is to learn figure drawing from life to the mind and eventually begin oil painting. But first, I'm going back to the basics.

The first drawing was me learning the effects of perspective. I'm trying to develop a greater understanding of it, because I think I skipped in my beginning learning process.

The Journey of a Novice: Back to the BasicsThe Journey of a Novice: Back to the BasicsThe Journey of a Novice: Back to the Basics

Any constructive criticism is absolutely welcome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

June 22

Hey guys,

Here is an update. The asian house was really fun to draw. I think I'm going to add details and draw another one. The self-portrait turned out a little strange. I was trying to draw in pen without erasing or anything like that.

Sorry about the paper for the banana. I was trying to use it to help guide my strokes. It helped allot in being selective with my lines.

Constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks
    June 25

Trying to learn how to draw the human head and figure. Here are some practice drawings.

I still need practice, but I'm going to practice a bunch more and hopefully get them down. I'm reading through the Loomis books and they are really helping me understand the construction of the figure.

Last edited by loper42; June 26th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Hey loper42, thanks for checkin out my sb.

You're doing great! Just draw draw draw! Don't get discouraged if you don't get a ton of replies, just post a lot and people will see your commitment and start stopping by more.

The biggest thing you can right now is to learn to really see what's there. It's hard to distinguish between what you think you should see and what is really there. Keep doing anatomy studies and drawing from life. Try and see the angles of the edges of shapes, the negative space (spaces between and around the object), and the different relationships between parts of the object.

It'll all come in time, so long as you just keep drawing! Keep it up!!!

Thanks
    eekolite: Good advice. I suppose I can't expect people to notice my sketchbook until after I begin to show real commitment. I will definitely try more life drawings. I've been straying away from that and its good idea to go back to it for awhile.

Here's a bunch of gesture drawings. Gestures are hard, but I'm going to keep doing them until I've mastered them.

I think the self-portrait turned out ok. I was trying to use the information I learned from Loomis books, but I'm going to have do more to really grasp the concepts.

Thanks
    Hi loper42, ok, let me get on to the point. The first sketch, the chair, everything looks good except for the seat itself, it somehow isn't right. The side shading isn't good, goes to up on the right, while it should ended a much earlier. Now, the seat itself, you should've done it a bit more elliptical, goeas up too much, ain't good. Try, I don't know, putting the empty glass in front of the seat on the screen, and observer the glass opening, the shape of it, if you put it right, based on the legs and else, you should see that it more elliptical than your seat. I hope you'll understand me.

Nice anatomy study, and I love that chinese little house or whatever it is, good perspective. Keep it up, practice and practice, all it is. See you around.

Thanks
    Hey! Your heads are already improving. That's got to feel good!

Since a lot of other people are already giving you good advice, I'll just leave two tips.

One is to remember that the inner corner of the eye is always lower than the outer corner of the eye, unless the head is tilted strongly upwards. You should see the difference in your sketches-from-imagination right away!

Second is to block in the shapes of the hair before filling in the strands. That would be the tip under "Layout: putting down the basics" in this tutorial. I'm in the process of learning which shapes to draw for which types of hair, but I can still vouch for how well it works!

HTH!

Thanks
    Nenad: I see what your saying. Its not the correct elliptical shape. I will definitely work on that and try and get more accurately circular chairs.

Furiana: Aw... thank you! I never thought about that for the hair. That makes perfect sense. I tried to use the eye advice while drawing the loomis heads. Thank you so much! I've always had trouble with hair and I think this just might help.

Here's a loud of work from yesterday and the day before that. The pen work was quite fun and I enjoyed trying to be conscious of my strokes. Although, the car could've been a bit better.

I think I'm starting the idea of gesture drawings and hopefully doing them everyday will make even better.

Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks
    Hi loper42.

You're headed in the right direction here, its good to see so many loomis studies, it'll help a lot. It looks like you still don't have a strong understanding of the skull that lies underneath, but if you keep studying that it'll come. I suggest trying to get your hands on a 3-D skull model, if you can. You can pick up cheap plastic ones online.

I'd like to see some more lifestudies too. You're doing good!

Thanks
    Glad to help.

I kindof wish we had a "Keep it up!" button next to the "Thanks" button! "This poster was encouraged 58 times in 10 posts" ;p

The zippered bag looks like the best of the bunch from this go-round, but oddly enough, the car is my favorite. I'm not really sure why!

Thanks
    Furiana: I completely agree, it would be very helpful for commenting. I have yet to try the hair method, I will be sure to do it soon.

Marlee: Yes, it definitely has been helping with the construction and placement for the face. I took your suggestion and looked into the skull. Although, I don't have a 3D model, but it has already helped me quite a bit and I will likely do more studies of the skull.

Sorry about the delay, I actually got some kind virus like sickness and tried desperately to draw while sick, but I was way too tired. On Tuesday and most of Wednesday I didn't do very much drawing. However, I did on Thursday and most of this stuff is from yesterday.

The pen stuff is my attempt and figuring how to draw a circle. I'm finding hard for me to make my lines the way I want them to be. However, I'm sure with more practice I will get better.

Constructive Criticism is welcome!

Thanks
    Hi Loper,
    first nice sk, so continue to draw hard every day.
    if can help, but I don't know if is correct, continue studying Loomis, I've seen that is a good way to learn anathomy fast: copy and then a few try from immagination.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    dleoblack: Thank you! It has definitely added to my learning curve to learn loomis construction methods.

I did quite a few gesture drawings. I feel like I've finally figured out how to properly do them and have reached a new understanding. When I did the portrait, I tried Furiana's approach to hair and I thank you for the tip because it helped.

I will have new portrait done for next time and hopefully some more finished work.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast