Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, you're back!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow wow loper I really like the direction your lines are moving in with those nude figure drawings.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

Its been a couple months since I have posted here. I feel terrible about not living up to my personal promise to not stop my momentum. I went on vacation and then school started. It was one massive distraction. I have some drawings to share in my absence. I plan to post every other day and draw everyday from this point on.

The portraits were from life observation. The character drawings of the 1950 women is mostly from observation and the other characters are from my mind. The rest had a picture referenced.

Constructive Criticism is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start for your glorious return, my friend.

It'll be great to get back to the bridgman and other anatomy studies and some basic work with shape, value, etc.

Just focus on doing at least a little bit each day. Just don't stop! If you keep hacking away at it little by little, you'll get much farther than doing a few larger updates every few weeks or months.

Just do what you can, it's all good! Glad to have you back.

G'luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update with some poses, imagination work, and longer work. The woman drawing is from a photograph and is not finished yet. I'm working on mixing long work with short work.

Everything is from a picture or life except the guy kicking and the other one sitting on the stump.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the strong light source for the woman. They're fun aren't they?
    I think you have to try bringing in what you learned from studies and breakdowns of the body (like the first 2 studies) into your other drawings.

Sketchbook

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how in the drawing form 11/19 (the guy in the crowd), the guy really pops out and the rest of the crowd is kinda out of focus and less detailed. That really works well for the composition! Mixing it up like you are is going to help you get better faster at this stage I think. What I mean is drawing from life and imagination while also doing studies gives you a lot of practice in different areas that also overlap in some ways. Keep this up and I'm sure you'll improve!

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, loper, draw more attention to the basic shape of the form, shadow, etc, maybe familiarizing some object you know could help to catch the form better. If you keep everything simple at first, in the same moment more structural, the image would be more clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justas: Good advice. I completely agree. I will try to keep everything a ton more simple for next update.
    Purplegoat: Thank you!
    Krysjez: I completely agree. I'm trying to do that with the imagination work, but I just need to be patient.

The gestures and woman are from observation and everything else is from imagination. The faces were my attempt at drawing facial expressions.

The 1950's style man is a design for my final project in my Theater Appreciation class. I'm quite pleased with it although I don't really like the woman and boy drawing, which could be much better.

Constructive Criticism is welcome! I'm working on a portrait drawing that will be up next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Nice sketches.
    Do you know the book "Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands"?
    It is free to download.
    It will help you much i think.

Keep your work up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Loper42
    I like the woman you have posted on november 26, the lines are much smooth than in the other drawings and you have done a good work with the light, maybe you work better with that type of media?
    Thank you for your comment! Yes, I'm trying to go for a more stylized kind of look but I surely need practice as you said.the design of the wallpaper is an actual victorian textile pattern. I found it doing some research in library.
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so, I am not the end all be all with this stuff, obviously. But, I've been drawing for a super long time and maybe seeing somebody else approaching some of the same problems will help you out a little bit.
    Keep it up.
    Your women are WAY too tall according to their head size.
    Almost without exception, undersized heads on women decrease appeal significantly.

Don't draw profiles when it isn't a profile. This is important. Here also is an example of the understructure I use when I'm doing boy characters. I find it super easy to use, especially since it makes doing dynamic poses more simple. If the shoulder line and the hip line on the tops and bottom of the boxes are opposed, the pose is dynamic.
    it's that simple.

anyways when somebody is looking away from the camera, you will see the cheekbones in front of the facial features.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to batcustard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Batscard: Wow. Thank you so much for the informative help. I'm definitely going back to simpler shapes. In my head drawings I tried to take your advice. I just need to think simple when drawing form imagination. Thanks.
    Rena: Your right on. I love using charcoal. I'm trying to force myself to learn regular pencil because its cheaper, but I think I will do more charcoal work. good tip!
    Silwyner: I completely agree with you. I took at look at one of his head drawing books. I will be sure to check out the head and hands one too. I feel like the studies have already helped allot.

The drawing heads are using the book: Fun with pencil by Andrew Loomis. Some are imagination and some are from the book. The head is from observation of a picture and the guy lying down was from life. He moved around quite. It was challenging, but fun.

For the next 2 and a half weeks, I will be having my finals for college. I will be drawing everyday, but I may not be able to post as frequently as I'd like. Bare with me as I get through the next few weeks. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you could try a softer pencil, wich one are you currently using?
    I think in the last one you did a pretty good job, I can see your improvement.
    But be carefull when you draw hands because in this case you haven't draw what you saw but what you think an hand can look in that position.
    Also the arm on the head seems wrong.
    Try to think in terms of line and positive or negative space.
    I reccomend you this book
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Drawing-Ri...dp_ob_title_bk
    You can find a torrent version if you want.
    Good luck for your exam!!!!
    Thank you for visiting my sb!

Last edited by *Rena*; December 2nd, 2010 at 06:17 AM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's fun to drop into a SB and find someone who wants to work hard and improves with it. I like the guy lying down and most of your drawings from life - you get a lot of character into them.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot: Thank you. I know I'm good at the life drawings. Its harder for me to do stuff from my imagination, which I really need to work on.

Rena: No problem. Your working hard. I've actually read that particular book a couple times. Its a great book I agree. Maybe I'll check it out again. Its easy to forget what you learn.

None of the drawings are from imagination except the head on the page with the guy sitting in the chair and girl with the hat.

I tried something new today. Since Rena thought I'm better at charcoal, I tried doing a portrait from a photograph strictly using tones with a charcoal pencil. I like how the two drawings turned out. It really changed my perspective on tones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Batscard really nailed some good points. Just keep up the consistency and nail the books hard! Try focusing on specific body parts keeping your aim smaller. It can help to do some bridgman studies (free pdf) of things like noses, hands, legs. If you do a few pages of just legs, you'll start to instinctively draw them more accurately when drawing the full figure.

Just keep it up, you're doing great!

[edit - you posted right as I did! You've got some nose studies in there, so you're on the right track. Keep focusing on structure, shapes and negative and positive space. Good luck!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment! Great work here, you've improved a lot. I did something a little w hile ago you might find helpful. It was an assignment where I drew a really detailed skull from a photo, then drew skulls with their shapes simplified. Then I tried to analyze the simplified skulls to come up with a simple format that I could memorize and draw accurately without a whole lot of trouble. Once you memorize your template, you can just draw that and grab a photo of a real skull to correct it and add detail to it. If you memorize the forms of the skull, that will help you analyze the heads you see.I took a week to do that project. Keep it up, you're doing great!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good lookin studies you got here! The person laying down in #73 looks very nice! Keep up the good work.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    Matthew 7:3-5

Sketchbook

Email>>MRRhoades@rocketmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice SB! I can already see progress in this page compared to the first. Just keep going!

I only have one word of advice: Next time you are drawing something from life or ref, try to let the definition of the object go. For example: If you are drawing a tree, forget that it's a tree and just draw the shapes and light/dark you see. And the tree will appear on your paper by itself. When you are drawing by the definition of the tree, you are most likely going to end up with a symbol of a tree, with no realistic value in it.

I hope this helps, keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite: Good idea. I think that's been my problem all along. Not really thinking about specific areas. I'm going to get right to it.
    Vertical: That is a great method. I think I'll give it a try.
    Rhoades: Thank you!
    Luckers: Hey great advice. I really tried hard to observe with the backpack. I feel like it really helped. So, thank you.

I spent 3 hours on the backpack and I really feel like it turned out great. It was challenging, fun, and it looks like a backpack! The pen work is from life at school; the hair study is a mixture of reference and imagination; and the eye study was using Loomis, my own eye, and imagination.

Last, I decided to finish the man I started in the last post. I couldn't find the reference so I used my mind to finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The heads of many points of view is a Hogarth study of heads and the other is all imagination work.

Almost done school, one week and a few days left. Then, I will tons of work done.

Constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work loper! The backpack is really great. I think you're doing exactly what you need to do, just keep hitting the studies and observations hard!

You got this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite: Thank you. I'm glad you think I'm heading in the right direction. Practice is definitely the key.

Hello all.

After tomorrow, all classes are over and its just all finals week. I'm almost done.

I did a 6 character concepts for my Final in Theater Appreciation class these past few days. I will post them when I get them back from the teacher. In the meantime, here's a self-portrait, gestures, some concepts for the final design, and head perspective studies.

Constructive Criticism is encouraged!

Last edited by loper42; December 9th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are getting better and better loper!
    Hair is hard to draw. It helps to think of it as chunks of locks as you did in the first drawing but don't go overboard with it, like in that lock falling over her face on our left.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo! I can tell you're working hard

Something I think may help you with portraits: practice drawing just the outer contour of the silhouette of the face (or even the silhouette itself) without the features (eyes, nose, mouth). I think you get caught up in the detail so much that you lose the shapes. This may seem weird, but it really helped me.

Go! Go! Go!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krysjez: Thank you for the tip. I just need to keep practicing and eventually it will make perfect sense.
    kiwigarbage: Thank you. That is a good idea. I think I do get way to caught up in the details especially since I was trying so hard to get the hair just right. I will keep that in mind and try it for my next portrait.

Hey guys, so today through Wednesday is finals and then I'm free finally. I will post the character designs tomorrow since I still don't have them from my teacher.

Here are some drawings I have had time to scan. I have done other drawings, I just haven't had time to scan everything.

I did a few imagination drawings and some hand studies from Bridgman.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hey guys,

Here's an update.

I'm completely finished finals! Finally, I'm free to draw as much as I can.

I have an assortment of drawings from life and 3 of the 6 characters I did for my theater class. I apologize for the poor quality.

I feel like I'm really getting the hang of gesture drawings.

Constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some nice work on the life drawing.

Try to watch your drawings for when they're leaning. Sometimes checking in a mirror, flipping the image or working with the image as perpendicular to your vision as possible can help with that (like looking straight on as with an easel set up).

Keep up the anatomy and life drawing, good stuff! Keep going my friend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite: Great observation. I will definitely pay more attention to my lines. Thank you.

Hey guys,
    So I had field day with Vilppu today and wound up drawings tons of sketches from the book. The perspective drawings is from my imagination and the 2nd to last drawing is from imagination before I did Vilppu sketches.

I really need to do some more perspective to understand it better. I will be back next time with more finished work.

Constructive Criticism is welcome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.