Sketchbook: No more summer, 1 procrastinator
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No more summer, 1 procrastinator

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face No more summer, 1 procrastinator

I decided to make a sketchbook here as well because you guys give awesomesauce crits.

I don't have a scanner, so it's semi crappy quality when it comes to traditional art :<

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mary-cherry-me; September 17th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you based in the UK? so college has ended for 100 days if so, just seen te blog i like the idea you have at the bottom. maybe i should do so myself, would that push you? bit of competition? lol

I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's work so far:

- 1 speedie/envio (I don't know what to call this pathetic thing) (PS)
    - 1 digital finished illo from the 31 A-Z Character project (S) (PS)
    - 1 study from Giotto Di Bondoni, a detail from Ognissanti Madonna (pencil on crappy paper - seriously, it's as if I'm drawing on toilet paper, it's so effing shitty)
    - 1 sketchbook page of animal drawings (pencil) (from the book The Art of Animal Drawing)
    - 1 finished watercolour....pathetic thing. (pencil + cheap watercolour)

Name:  cats[.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  257.2 KB
    Name:  DSC01812.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  532.0 KB
    Name:  DSC01816.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  320.9 KB
    Name:  DSC01815h.png
Views: 1760
Size:  966.2 KB

And it's only half the day, yay! I have only 3 sb pages of imagination + 3 from photos and RL/studies, 25 gestures and 1 sb page of one object left for today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope, i live in Romania! I'm not even in college yet - I'm in my third year of high school from September!

DOOOOO EEEET. The best thing for me is competition (okay, that sounded a tad selfish.)
    Want to share the blog? Or do you want to do your own, or do you want to keep it in cA? '
    The possibility of having someone do this with me is making me seriously giddy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i will stick to CA.org for now, but ive written parts of the list down apart from the not so relevant to my life bits like writing and exercise cus i go gym every 3 days anyways, lol. but yeah, its a good idea and your not selfish, i could give you alot of tips in being selfish haha. well im not gonna be easy to beat so we shall begin.

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YAY!
    Give me a link, please, when you start a thread or whatever. Or are you going to keep it in your sketchbook thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i do remember Krato doing something of the sort about his selfportraits(50 a day as i recall)

Also B-man was up to 100 faces challenge in may.
    Good luck with your challenge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will add to my sketchbook by the way, i wont go easy on you

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tom - you'd better not! Can't wait!
    @arri I think I do remember Krato's! I can't find the threads to both of them tho :< Do you happen to have them bookmarked? I'm awfully curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links dude

Okay, some more stuff from today:

Name:  DSC01817-horz.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  290.5 KB

Name:  DSC01824-tilenn.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  329.9 KB

Name:  DSC01825-horznn.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  264.5 KB

Name:  catsm.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  250.2 KB

Todayís batch of gestures! I havenít done them in a while, Iím rusty. I did more than 25, I think around 40 or something, because I got frustrated with them. Look at dem petted and fuzzy lines - Loomis is probably rolling in his grave
    Imagination draws - 2 pages and a half (I permitted myself to only that because I did more gestures...and because I feel a headache coming on)
    A black giraffe Elder, something inspired by the Norse goddess Fryja, another spiral thingie (ignore the almost alien head below - it's an elf mist maker with an elongated skull), a clock girl and a mist maker. Yay for flowy lines.

I still have to do the object drawing, and methinks my fan will be the subject. Tho I'll upload that tomorrow because now I have no natural light and photos look like noise was shat on them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having a bad drawing day today. I'm impatient and I can't stand still and I've ripped a ripe total of 2 pages so far. They lie crumpled in a corner, RIP.

Referenced (some Hogart, some Bamms, some random images found on the net...couldn't resist to turn one of them into my OC Jamie)
    Name:  DSC01829-vert.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  387.5 KB

Gestures (again, very unhappy with these...I'll do some extra more tomorrow)
    Name:  DSC01838-vert.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  240.2 KB

Imagination stuff - Nina in a tower, a pretty shell lady, and some sort of tree being half-shaded
    Name:  DSC01831-horz.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  250.5 KB

No speedie done today because my mouse is being an asshole :<
    Tho I managed to do a line art earlier this morning of a fashion design in my Mushroom series, and colour it in the style I went for in the illos.
    Name:  DSC01799 copy;.png
Views: 1588
Size:  313.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And another Giotto study - tho it's not as good as the other, I didn't have the patience for it. As I said, bad drawing day :<
    Saint Claire and a few nameless profiles

Attachment 1004258

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's update! (tho incomplete due to the utter lack of daylight atm :< My cellphone camera requires that so things can be...you know, intelligible )

Also, GUYS GUYS GUYS I JUST HAD A MAJOR LEVEL UP. I woke up today...and realized that HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I can draw hands (not really well, but few days ago I pretty much couldn't draw them to save myself)!

Mermaids from imagination, + one modified speedie of one of them (30 minutes)
    Name:  DSC01843-tileu.png
Views: 1552
Size:  691.5 KB
    Name:  DSC01843-tileuB.png
Views: 1602
Size:  1.06 MB

Animal sketches - two pages of trying (accentuating trying) to figure out the basics of horses. I think I got the body down a bit, when it comes to general shape, but the head in any position rather than up front still looks fucked up. I'll do more tomorrow! I must say the book "The Art of Animal drawing" is coming really, really in handy atm.

Name:  DSC01845-tile.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  311.2 KB

Watercolour of my OC Nina in the sea....bled all over the place because I went wet on wet like a doofus.

Name:  DSC01841'.png
Views: 1533
Size:  901.9 KB

Obligatory batch of gestures:
    Name:  DSC01847hh.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  90.0 KB
    Name:  DSC01848j.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  119.3 KB

I'll upload tomorrow the third Giotto study, as well as the three pages of ref'd stuff from books + tomorrow's work load!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys
    Today's stuff:

Referenced stuff - some Hogarth (which I'm not sure if I dislike or adore), some Civari and a daVinci study(in charcoal because I just got it and I effing adore it...so much easier to render stuff with it) + awful hands

Attachment 1005729

Imagination - two mermaids done in the middle of the night (oh insomnia, I love thee...not.), two original characters, an unfinished womanly figure I plan on properly shading later, moar unfinished stuff, batch of whimsy, and the very last one is done with a reference from felixdeon@dA.
    Attachment 1005735
    Attachment 1005737

Giotto study, a profile in charcoal and compositional studies
    Attachment 1005740
    I am getting bored of him already, and en fin, it's the last day dedicated to him. Maybe the next master will prove more interesting.

Watercolour + speedie (10 minutes?)
    Attachment 1005742Attachment 1005741

Gestures and digital finished will be uploaded later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy these past few days running errands, meeting people and baby sitting my sis, so I haven't done much. But today I was free of any duties, so I can come back to pace again!

Today's updates
    -2 reference pages (one feet study + some people's portraits from "what everybody looks like" thread)- diphallia as an astronaut, mattgamer's eyes, tja88 and his pretty hair, dave with an octopus on his head, and nrx1 as some sort of sleep entity or something (moons and clouds and all that jazz )
    - 25 gestures
    - two watercolours
    -some imagination
    - two finished thingies

Name:  DSC01873-vert.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  444.0 KB

Name:  DSC01880-horz copy.png
Views: 1438
Size:  525.6 KB

Name:  DSC01870-horz copy.png
Views: 1435
Size:  778.1 KB

Name:  cerebelum-horz.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  171.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello

If only I've started drawing at your age and been as good as you. But I'm about 1000 years old.

Keep working, you can be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Gordebak
    Thank you so much! I will keep it up and become awesome!
    No age is ever too old, so you should keep it up too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, your blog links in the signature seem to be dead. Just informing.

See you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fixed it now!
    Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mary,

I think that it's great you're exploring a variety of different styles, mediums, and concepts but I think you need to slow down and really dig in on some of the fundamentals.

1. I know I will probably sound like a broken record to some, but I think you need to think more 3 Dimensionally. Even if at the end of the day you use heavy countours in your work as a stylistic element, you'll never be able to unlock the infinite variety of curves and combinations unless you fully understand and can command the forms that CREATE those contours. Use mass conceptions, no matter what your subject. Actually work out the with boxes spheroids, and cylinders where each form is going in space. From there, don't cheat and throw in more contours but work out each level of detail in full 3-D. Everything you will ever draw is to at least some degree coming towards you or moving away from you. You have to force yourself to think that way!

2. I like that you're doing many gesture studies. I would like it even more to see hundreds of them, page after page. There is hardly any way you wouldn't improve dramatically and all the more so if you are making the figures up out of imagination. One exercise I like to do is to draw a page full of tiny drawings then circle the best ones. From there I draw improved versions of those drawings correcting proportions and pushing the action further. The final step in this exercise is to try to carefully draw each of these figures larger, working out the forms and anatomy in full 3D.

3. Use a lighter touch. Perhaps its the scans but it seems to me that your drawings are too dark. It's almost always better to build up a drawing in layers. You can always go back in and ink it afterwards.

4. Invest in a scanner. This will make it a lot easier for others to critique your work.

Keep it up. I like that you're challenging yourself and I will watch this thread more carefully and will do my best to be helpful!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jacobo, thank you so much!

1. Will do! Thanks for the advice, I will from now on work like this! I think that I'll use for those a different colour, because I'm a really messy sketcher and an obsessive eraser, so by them being a colour, they'll stay, and then I'll build the form on them in regular pencil.

2. I will do more of them! The problem is that I can't focus on one thing for long, and I get really easily distracted, so after the tenth gesture I have the instinct to move to something else But I will do more of them, even if I have to glue myself to the seat!

3. Nah, it's not the photos, I have a stupidly heavy hand, and I don't know how to get rid of it. I can;t remember how many times I pressed so hard on a paper I actually fissured it. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of a heavy hand?

4. I've been begging my mom for one for some time XD I'll see if she gets me one for St Mary's day, she promised either that or a tablet (since I haven't asked for something like this in a long, long time she is willing to get me it)

Thank you again! Don't be afraid to rip me apart, I've grown thick skin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work so far i just got back from shell island and need to update with all the crap ive got, however i just canoot be arsssseeeed! lol i think what jacobo said is very helpful. Just to go with that advice i would like you to consider studying - Forshortening - which is part of life drawing and anatomy.

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going right now to go find myself a book about foreshortening!

Since yesterday I had to run some errands for mom (again) I didn't have much time for anything :< I will upload now yesterday's stuff, and later today's.

- some gestures - I managed to do 75 yesterday, as well as take Jacobo's advice and make some finished stuff from the ones I liked the most (with no ref except for the gesture, to fill my imagination quota)! Gestures from Posemaniacs, and PixelTools, and some from imagination.

Name:  DSC01922-tile.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  319.8 KB
    Name:  DSC01923k.JPG
Views: 1254
Size:  268.3 KB

- reference stuff - from Bridgman and another guy whose name escapes me atm.

Name:  DSC01918-vert.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  338.0 KB

- finished digital stuff - a fashion design, and something else. I left them flat because I liked them better this way.
    Name:  DSC01916 copyhhh-horz.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  272.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's studies from Bridgman. I'm coming to love his method more and more. And I finally learned a method to draw heads from above/below POV.

I'll upload the gestures and imagination stuff tomorrow, since it's getting late, I'm in no mood for sleep and I can't leave the computer on. I'll probably spend a few good hours drawing to sleep, or something.

Name:  DSC01930-crop-tile.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  308.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a great summer youre having
    the stuff made with mixed mediums is great... graphite/watercolor/digital, i quite like them. hope the thing with the scanner will go well (although i'd prefer the tablet since it helps developing your skills instead of just documenting them (and perhaps making it easier to recolor stuff in photoshop))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    equilerex - yeah, I thought that the tablet was better too. Well, I have plenty of time to beg and plea until the 15th of August (St Mary's) !
    I get bored easily, so I switch mediums often XD

Today I'm taking a small break from everything to work on this week's CHOW: Rosie, top necromancy student

Here's the wip - I quite like how it's going so far, I think I never realized how much I missed doing full-fledged digital paintings, and not only illustrations.

Name:  rosie copyhhh-tile.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  140.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have intriguing concepts- I've no doubt your art skills will catch up to that. That's not to say that you're bad at them- I think they're good, but they can be better.

I really like the last pic you've posted. Can't wait to see how the girl turns out.

(I also wish I could wake up one day and realise I could draw things. XD)

it's not the end that matters but the journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Awesome sketchbook you have going here, Love to see the dedication to studies motivates me to stop procrastinating and get back to bridgeman...

Just wanted to recommend this guy named Glen Vilppu is case you haven't come across his stuff yet, he's helped me so much in seeing 3d form on the page before putting down marks, also made bridgeman soo much clearer! He has a drawing manual out there that is pure gold and will start with gesture then basic forms like spheres and cubes and ellipses. Then he'll show you how to combine them and twist and stretch them, then turn them into figures from the imagination.

Anyhow, its helping me so much.

I'm really digging that last piece your working on, the dark theme is sweet.
    Oh and I really like your colors in the finished digital pieces, really want to see more of that!

Keep up the good work, will be watching.

Last edited by SixPrism; July 1st, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
    "Well....if it's bothering you so much, just cover it up with art."

My Sketchbook

Check out some of my drawing and animation at

www.TrySilence.net

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2