PastTimes Cover
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: PastTimes Cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PastTimes Cover

I'm having trouble with this one it seems flat and lacking depth done in photoshop trying to get a warm fuzzy feeling family in early evening - I think it's the lighting direction. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Lee

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lee Field
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you can make composition more dense by trimming edges and reordering objects.
    The shadows are too greyish, also there is too much orthogonal lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Past Times Cover

Thanks - there is extra space around for cropping purposes it will be tighter in finished printing. The shadows are too gray I didn't notice. Thanks again Lee

Lee Field

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the colors, I think they match the atmosphere you are shooting for. I think the shadows need some more work to add depth. Specifically the areas where the chair touches the ground (right now it looks like it's hovering) and also the old man's feet. The little girl looks like she is levitating. Also I'm not sure about the blotches of gray that are on the mirror/wall/ceiling. They make the image look flat since they bleed in a planar fashion instead of following the contours of the objects it is on. I hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see, but i think you should hide bleed area for better preview of the image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks flat because right now you're not even trying to render the lighting realistically. If that floor lamp is the main light source, most of the scene is going to be backlit. If the floor lamp isn't the main light source, you should decide what is and set up clearly defined areas of light and shade based on that. JPEG attached below.

Hope that is of some help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PastTimes Cover

Thanks for all help seems to be getting better see what you think. Thanks Lee

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lee Field

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last version does look better (and I'm glad you changed that magenta colored rug), but Giacomo's point still stands in terms of portraying harmonious lighting. I mean, it doesn't make sense that the lamp would be the only light on in the house, so I would really figure out in 3D what and whence the light sources are that are lighting up this picture.
    Places where the lighting looks off include the held newspaper (if that is backlighting that we are seeing, we would see both sides of the paper overlapped), newspaper on the floor, gramps' feet, the grandmother (presuming there is a light on in the other room that would shine on her). Also under the fireplace sill where the horizontal shadow is, you shouldn't see that diagonal shade line from the lamp.

Overall, I think for a nice pleasant, warm feeling, you really have to get subtle with all of the shadows and all so that it's not so contrasty (no black shadows). So make the lighting nice and warm and not too bright so the rest of the image reflects that.

One last thing, the pot falling over looks a little silly to me, but if you do keep it like that, I would at least remove the liquid coming out, since that is not realistic.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.