How should I invoice someone for work I've done for them? Mail, email, method of pay?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How should I invoice someone for work I've done for them? Mail, email, method of pay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How should I invoice someone for work I've done for them? Mail, email, method of pay?

I just did my first illustration for someone outside of my regular job and they loved the work and asked me to send them an invoice.

How should I invoice them? We've corresponded over email besides an initial phone conversation. Should I send it by email or by regular mail? What do you do?

And should I specify my methods of accepted payment? I'd prefer a check but I do have PayPal.
    The invoice would have my name and address on it, but do I have to write accepted payment instructions or do you suppose they'd know enough to send a check to my address?
    That makes me wonder if I should send the invoice by regular mail since I'd be expecting payment sent through regular mail.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nrxx,

Here's an example of an invoice I've sent to a client. I was really new to freelance work and didn't really know how to exactly do it either. I hope someone else will chime in with other examples. I would love to see that.

The invoice is something you can easily recreate in Google Documents or Open Office.

Here are some tips:

Don't start your invoice number with something low like it did. Start at like: No. 510. Then your next invoice will be 511. It sounds stupid but someone getting my invoice will see I've only had four other clients.

Save it as a PDF and email it to them. Open Office can save files to PDF and I think Google Documents can too. If they want a hard copy, let them print it out. Everyone can open PDFs.

It's not in my example but write on it: Amount due in 30 days

Why 30 days? That's how everything works. Your internet bill, water bill, electric bill are all due in 30 days.

I hope that helps!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for your response!
    How did they pay you, did they send you a check or did you use an online method like PayPal?
    You are right about them just being able to print it out if they want a hard copy, I will send it via email in that case, and also will know better that they've received it.
    Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No prob, man. My client paid by cheque sent through the mail. I thought about offering payment through paypal but some companies may not have business credit cards to make the payment (they probably do but you never know). Maybe give them the option to pay with PayPal. Can't hurt, if you don't mind any of the PayPal fees.

Email is pretty reliable so I don't think you have worry if they hadn't received it. Especially if you've been communicating with your client through email already.

Just make the subject clear: Project Name - INVOICE or Your Name/Studio - INVOICE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You could use bank-to-bank transfer, which doesn't incur any fees. Most of my stuff is bank-to-bank.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If your in the USA and it is for more than $600 you need to include your tax payer ID or social because the IRS will want a cut at the end of the year. The company will 1099 you which means the IRS knows you've been paid. If they don't 1099 you you are still required to pay tax on your earnings and the lack of a 1099 is no excuse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I'm happy with how my invoice looks now that it's typed up, however, I don't know her last name!
    I typed up a short email (haven't sent it yet) asking if I could please have her last name and to verify her address, but I'm just going to be sending this through email anyway so is that weird to ask for it?

-edit-
    Ah nevermind, I asked! Is there a better way to get that info rather than at the end so I don't have to stop and ask? Any other words of wisdom?

I just remembered I have that book called the graphic artists guild, and I found it just now thankfully. I've never properly looked through it, I got it a few years ago.
    I'm going to flip through it and I bet I'll find some more answers for stuff, hopefully on what to charge her. I had a number in my head before I even started it based off what she wanted, but just to be sure, hopefully the book will help me with that too.

Last edited by nrxx; June 20th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can sometimes find that stuff through LinkedIn but embarrassment would follow if you make a mistake. You did the right thing and just asked. You could have said: "I'd like your full name for my records".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nrxx View Post
    Ah nevermind, I asked! Is there a better way to get that info rather than at the end so I don't have to stop and ask?
    No, always ask. Why would you not ask, especially when it's rare for clients to give even half the information you need?

Members who have read this thread: 1