Sketchbook: niia's supermagical sketchbook of durp-durp-yness~~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

niia's supermagical sketchbook of durp-durp-yness~~

id be lying if i said i wasnt kind of terrified to post my stuff here... everything is so amazing, so i feel like some spacey kid drooling on herself in the corner while she scribbles on the wall in crayola comparatively. durp. i'm kind of shy about this whole deal.

i stopped drawing entirely for a really long time, which was kind of sad of me. but i started again..and hopefully i can learn to not suck with enough practice. :3

i have a horrible habit of beginning something, throwing myself into it, then losing focus halfway through, never to touch it again. my life is a neverending pile of half finished nonsense. i kindasorta need to work on not doing that.

but yeeea, i like comments, critiques, etc.. anything helps. :3 i am not cool enough for a scanner yet and using my tablet at the moment produces results that may lead one to think i was partially blind, so please forgive the icky quality.

i write alot of angry notes to myself while im drawing.. so uh, sorry about those too.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by niia; June 27th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    separately the head and torso look very nice. But be careful about fitting the 2 together. Right now the head/face comes through a little too big.

But I like it, looks confident and the lines are nice. Time to draw more!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doublepost

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more stuffz.

various.. things i have done. unsurprisingly, i never finish anything.

mouths are also the bane of my existance.. as you can see, particularly in the last one. all sorts of wrong.

Last edited by niia; June 20th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakka View Post
    separately the head and torso look very nice. But be careful about fitting the 2 together. Right now the head/face comes through a little too big.

But I like it, looks confident and the lines are nice. Time to draw more!!
    thanks :3 and yes, i have a serious tendency to give everyone i draw bighead syndrome.. need to work on that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that you posted some more;

I really do like these. You get shapes down with values, which again adds to the 3d effect. The first lady in your last post does not seem to suffer of this syndrome you talk of

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    charcoal.. i always had a truly horrible aversion to them.. theyre messy, they're smudgy, i look at it the wrong way and theres a huge black blob on my page. but im trying.

her mouth really made me want to stab things. its definately still not right, but there is WAYYY too much charcoal down to fix it, and attempts to refine it seem to only make things worse. oh well.

she looks rather like a floating head.. in an ideal world i will finish her shoulders and draw in her neck/arms properly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have a problem with mouths, draw a lot of mouths. practice makes perfect! These all look pretty good, i don't think you need to be so shy about your drawings.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    was playing with the sphere exercise over in the peer project thread. i am really clueless when it comes to my tablet.. feels like im drawing with my left hand or something.

i havent the slightest idea where the shadow would be cast, so hes kinda.. floating on a badly drawn shadow that makes no logical sense. :l

Last edited by niia; June 20th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a purple hand and some eyes from a few months ago... will probably do something similar with mouths soon.. cuz i really, really need the practice. i find my tablet.. frustrating to say the least. left side of the hand looks completely unfinished compared to the rest... i dont quite know what i was thinking with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - awesome start to a sketchbook! For someone who sounds so unconfident about their drawing ability and their finishing of pieces you are seriously good!

No idea about how much art tuition you've had but Id definitely recommend anything by hogarth or Loomis for portraiture. As well as having big heads they often seem to have big eyes (which is characteristic of "sexy" females but too big and they can end up looking like a bush baby!). Keep up the good work and hopefully comments like this will help you to keep on drawing!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I really like what you did with that ball - should push the values a bit more, and try using a hard edge brush.

Keep up the good work - sacks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pixelflux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vertical: thank you, and yes i definately do. ive been doing alot of mouth studies lately and i think im improving, maybe a little, hah.

thomasm
    : thank you, that means alot! ive learned about them, but it was at a time in my life when i was more concerned with "get the assignment done and go take a nap" vs actually absorbing anything if it didnt automatically pique my interest. bad me. i need to revisit it. the big eyes are partially on purpose - i tend to exaggerate them because i think theyre the most interesting feature.. sometimes i can go a little overboard though, lol.

pixelflux: my ball says thank you. and thank you for showing me all those brushes. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive been drawing alot of mouths lately, so i took my favorite and practiced some painting with my tablet. need to draw MORE. i have class tonight, so hopefully ill return with something worth posting. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more tablet fuckery..this is in the process of being painted and probably ruined, hah. her arm/hand/shoulder area is off in one way or another, and some nipple wonk, but thats being fixed with the painting. i am REALLY scribbly. will probably add different shoes/jewelry/wierd accessories/hair goodness at a later point..she bores me right now. trying to not focus on her face and get sucked in and just focus on painting skin that doesnt look bizarre and/or diseased. i guess it will be.. the first full thing i have painted? if/when i ever finish, urgh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i drew this tonight in class.. life drawing from a model and all that stuff..

her ear is a mess.. i realized i avoid drawing ears pretty intensely. her hair isnt even close to done, same goes for chest/neck. i was mostly focused on getting her face and the shadows down while she was still in front of me. camera makes this look like total crap.. i wish i had a scanner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a great start. Just remember that no piece of art is perfect, it can always be improved. It's just a matter of dedication and time. The hardest part is always getting started, and especially when it comes to posting stuff up, that kind of thing is always tough for an artist, but know that it is one of the best ways to learn because you can use the information from the critiques given to figure out ways to improve.

Also I've found that saying you suck to yourself doesn't really help motivate you to draw. Rarely is even the most professional artist satisfied with his work, but don't let that lack of satisfaction lead you to think your work is terrible!

There are some basic guidelines as to how one becomes a better artist, but remember that everyone has their own way of getting there in the end, practice and draw whatever you think you should draw at that given moment.

Read up, listen to others, draw, critique, get involved. It's a lot to do, sure. But if your heart is in it, then it'll all come together somehow. Thats all the advice that I can give. I hope what I've said will help you out a bit, and I can't wait to see you grow more!

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an apple for bumskee's photoshop painting tutorial. i could have been more adventurous with my values - i feel it looks a bit flat. i really should have chosen better lighting - i started this in mid afternoon and came back to it at night, and by the time i did that the light was entirely different. wee. it isnt as well blended as i would have liked either.. stupid me chose a gala apple that was super speckled and multicolored rather than one smooth, glossy color. (note to self: try red delicious next time)

niia's supermagical sketchbook of durp-durp-yness~~

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color me impressed. Nice linework.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.