C.O.,W. #181_Wrinkled Wanderer with Colorful Companion_Voting!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite wanderer with companion!

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vic Gonzales

1 1.61%
  • Arbinn

3 4.84%
  • jrbarker

0 0%
  • Wixxi

1 1.61%
  • Lodin

8 12.90%
  • dannE-B

11 17.74%
  • Zarquino

0 0%
  • P

5 8.06%
  • porcupine

0 0%
  • Jatari

5 8.06%
  • runriot

4 6.45%
  • basti0n

0 0%
  • ssandulak

5 8.06%
  • (lark

8 12.90%
  • YUZworks

0 0%
  • J-Sun

0 0%
  • chinadrgn

1 1.61%
  • Kreator

10 16.13%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #181 Wrinkled Wanderer with Colorful Companion - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #181 VOTING

Topic: Wrinkled Wanderer with Colorful Comapnion

Deadline for the voting: Monday July 5th, 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; June 27th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: VIC GONZALEZ

Concept: WALBINS
    Hi.Iīm Vic Gonzalez, a spanish illustrator.. Iīm very happy of participate in this forum. (Sorry for my english....jejeje).This is a old creature with a young helper..... I try to accoplish all conditions in a fast fast illustration. I hope you like this concept art. I am pleased to meet you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Arbinn

Concept: Plain Walker & Rainbow Phoenix

Plain walkers can be seen wandering alone in the deserts patrolling their huge territories and seeking oases to drink from. Their uncommon companions are often mistaken for a mirage due to their extreme colors. The companions presumably seek refuge from the plain walkers since predators avoid attacking them.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: jrbarker

Concept: Gurn with Shrik

The slow and lumbering Gurn lives for hundreds of years. It has formed a symbiotic relationship with the Shrik, a small winged creature. The Shrik can easily fly across the countryside and find food for the Gurn. In return, the Shrik gains protection. The Gurn has a thick skin that is unapealing to any of the planet's apex predators. By hanging out around the Gurn, the Shrik has safe shelter in a brutal world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Wixxi

Concept: Rain Forrest Elk & Mango Bird
    The rain forrest elks are creatures that grow very old. They wander rainy forrested areas in exotic regions of the world. Although they are very shy animals they have a loyal companion who stands guard for potential danger. The mango bird is a very alert creature, it has incredible sight reflexes and can spot threats miles away. They often fly off from their companion elk for several minutes searching the skies and fields below. Because of this extraordinairy teamwork the two creature have a very high life expectancy. In times of danger, when to many predators are around the elk can withdraw to dry lands, he then lives of the reserves he has stocked in the form of fat all over his body.

Last edited by Wixxi; June 25th, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
    One's humble Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wixxi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist : lodin

Concept : The Gigantic Moronus and Little Spotted Dumbas were the first observation of a phenomenon still unknown, the symbiotic behavior.
    The first is equipped with two front legs giving it a strong stamina for long journeys.The smallest has a very important visual acuity. The problem is he also atrophy of the brain that makes decisions, so that the two spend most of their time sitting in the shade of a tree, hungry.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lodin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: dannE-B

Concept: Fat old Bird and little monkey
    Its a mutual relationship between these two, one gatheres fruits from the surrounding trees while the other helps with the passing of rivers. As their surrounding is made up of rivers and tree land areas, it works rather well .

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannE-B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Zarquino

Concept: Lazy bangaloo and Damned Infernal Kitten

Loneliness is a bad mate, and when Flawr found a little cat down a tree thought it would be good not to be alone. Didn't it thing about the origin of the cat. Cathulu was expelled from hell cause of being too cute... but the cuttest hell-cat brings the hell to your before-quiet life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: P

Concept: Big and tired with annoying little one

Somewhere in unknown desserts, here travels a wanderer, old and tired. He made a friend there. He wish his new friend was someone more intellectual, but hes still happy with this luxury to have a companion in this never ending dessert...

Name:  COW181byP.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  223.8 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Korobird and June Squirrel

When young, these large flightless Korobirds display massive colorful plumage to attract a mate and defend their territory. When they grow older they gradually loose their feathers and when they no longer can defend their territory they are driven away wandering to find unclaimed ground. Since Korobirds tend to claim huge territories the search is most likely in vain and the old specimen ends up wandering until they perish. To make matters worse this specimen has fallen victim to a June Squirrel. While not a true parasite these small animals usually cling to larger animals, using them as transportation and stealing whatever food the host finds. June Squirrels are noisy, irratating, agile and elusive creatures and very hard to get rid of for their hosts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FINAL

Artist: Jatari

Concept: The Warpul and the ninjrat in the slums of Vespine City

The Warpul travels from city to city in search of company and food. Prior to colonization many Warpuls lived along the banks and rivers, that have since been transformed into slums and sewers. The Warpuls are generally gentle creatures that use scent to communicate with the other animals in the city. Humans justified hunting them because of their fowl smelling odor, devastating the social lives of the Warpul. Lone Warpuls have been found to have suicidal tendencies. Today their lifespans are considerably longer than their city companions, so as each companion dies the Warpul moves on to the next city in search of new companions.

"Life is a painting; full of happy little mistakes"
    El Sketchbook!(Updated 1/9/2011)
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: runriot

Concept: Ortha

Old and huge "ortha" walking on magma.
    It's very old; from the times the earth is still hot, and there is no land to live for humans. so they live on orthas, till the earth become colder. Flying little one is something like ortha's babe but independent species.

Personal Portfolio: www.utkanbasar.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to runriot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Basti0n

Concept: Yggaraseed and Constant Gardener
    Yggaraseed is as the name implies, a mythic creature born from the mother tree. Unfurled from the roots of the Yggrasill this large amphibian/plant symbiosis travels to remote areas of the world bearing a living sapling of the mother tree. Nutrients are sucked from the seed bearer as it travels, wasting and withering the creature so it appears very old. While the yggaraseed dies to plant the tree and nourish the tree its job is fullfilled.

The constant gardener is an embodiement of the young sapling and travels with and leads the yggaraseed. It can defend the bearer with its claws and whiplike tendrils and grows stronger as the tree grows. The gardener also takes care of the tree physically by performing trimmings and keeping parasites from taking root. When finally the yggaraseed dies and the tree begins to root in the soil of its new home the constant gardener melds with the plant to proliferate the rooting of the tree and rejoin its energies for the future growth of the tree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ssandulak

Concept: Escalador and Spidaremon monkey
    The Escalador wanders aimlessly until it's eventual demise. Accompanied by all sorts of companions but most frequently seen with the colorful Spidaremon monkeys. The Escalador has been known to walk off cliffs because of their bad eyesight.

"As far as you and your work are concerned, life is line, tone, color, and design-plus your feelings about it." Andrew Loomis
    "A Lannister always pays his debts." -Tyrion Lannister

My Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...58#post2781858
    My DA - http://ssandulak.deviantart.com/
    My Tumblr - ssandulak.tumblr.com

Looking for work, send me a PM or email at ssandulak@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: lumonis the wise, and twiglish the dim

Name:  wrinkled wanderer final.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  432.1 KB

lumonis is a member of one of the most intelligent species in the universe but very slow and cant really take care of himself along his journey for enlightenment. twiglish on the other hand comes from a very stupid species of bumbling foolish furry little guys that miraculously not died out from natural selection. he worships lumonis and listens to his advice, without him he would die in silly ways like jumping off cliffs and running into the mouths of predators. he is fast and nimble though so he helps lumonis by following his orders to go get food for both of them, and just as a basic helper.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done. (whoops im 2 hours over the deadline... please have mercy!)
    I'm quite fond w/ the result, tough I doubt it'd stand up to the level of skill some of CA's artists have.
    I have learned a lot while making this work... shading and rendering wise mostly.

And it was good to do something fun (as in: not for school)

Artist: YUZworks

Concept: Siskyphos and Phobetor
    I'd like to leave as much to the imagination as possible, but i will tell you this:
    Though he has no clue why he's pushing stones around all the time, but since the voices tell him to push... he'll push.

He never was much of a thinker...

Last edited by YUZworks; June 26th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice job (lark. Love how you picked the names

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Snargen and Duskhopper
    Wrinkled Wanderer & Colorful Companion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vulgus unda viator and vulgus unda viator socius

chinadrgn

Concept:VULGUS UNDA VIATOR

Creature concept-C.O.W. #181

Last edited by chinadrgn; June 26th, 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in the intro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: kreator

Concept: slovark and chihuanki

- the slow moving slovark is a herbivore prone to various parasite and fungus infections. His overactive buddy, the chihuanki, thrives on food like this.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YAY I made it to the voting =D

So, here are some semi-random comments on some works:

DannE-B I gave my vote to your work.
    I Love the humor you gave to your work, and I especially love how you excecuted the assignment. I believe you really are one of the few who really managed to sitck to the assignment. Combining, these 2 feats made your work stand out for me.

Arbinn 2nd best.
    Also I'd like to complement you on how you managed to stickto the assignment. nice job. Your work (COWs at least) never fails to amaze me, as you always nail the assignment, and never fail to come up with something nice to look at. Keep up the good work.

Kreator Bronze.
    The face says more than a 1.000 words. You really made a lovely peace of work here. The compagnion however, could have been a little more colourfull.

Vic Gonzales
    It looks nice as an illustration, but it also seems (as you already said) you didn't spend mucht time on this work. Next time try to put some more work/details in the work and challenge yourself. That's what the COW's are all about.

JRbarker
    Nice job. I love the colours you've used. The wrinkles on the beast don't look as wrinkly as they could've, but I might have another idea of how they should look... I guess i'm trying to find some point of criticism where there is nothing to find.

Wixxi
    Are those... wrinkled scales? I'm not that fond of your wanderer, but that might just be a matter of taste. The bird for one looks lovely, and the execution of both is a really nice job.

Lodin
    Made me lol 4 sure. I really think this is an awsome submission, yet i think the wrinkles are lacking a bit. You already added some more, wich is a good thing, but they still don't quite catch my eye. Besides that i really love the style and adore the little compagnion. If you can get me one of those i'll change votes

Zarquino
    I like the image as a whole, but nos as C.O.W. 181.
    It might me just me, but i hardly spot any wrinkles on the wanderer, and though cathulu (lol!) looks good, it really could use some colours. Maby some of these details where in your initial design but got lost along the way... try to be carefull not to let that happen

Basti0n
    Lovely concept. You stuck nicely to the assignment, and deliverd a nice work. It doesn't really catch my eye tough. I'm not sure why.
    It's a tad blurry tough.(look who's speaking...)

P

It looks wounderfull, but could use a little more rendering to my opinion. Especially the wrinkles got a bit lost in translation.
    Love the story and dynamic mouse.

Porcupine
    Very dynamic. And you stuck nicely to the assignment. Good job... that's all i have to say.

Jatari

I can't find any criticism. It is nicely excecuted, and seems really tought trough.

Runriot
    I don't think it's that wrinkly, but that could just be me...
    Anyway, I like the concept.

ssandulak
    Nice job... not as much as a photofinish as you proclaimd eh
    Though the image looks nicely finished, I don't have the feeling you tried to challenge yourself. I might be mistaking, but remember this contest is an excercise for the artist more than anything.

(Lark
    As I said, nice names I like how you worked out the wrinkles, tough the compagnion could be a little more colourfull. I'm also quite amazed by the floor they are standing on. Especially since all the small cliffs go in the same direction. Did you do that on purpose?

J-sun

Nice concept but seems (a bit of) a rush job. A bit more detail and some terrain would do wonders.

chinadrgn
    Nice concept. Seems really tought trough to me...
    I don't think the female looks very wrinkly though... could be me tough.

I know i've given some of you guys comments on things i didn't do that well either. Remember i'm not commenting to put you guys down or make myself look better (no bulk of text could cover that ^^"). I'm just trying to give you some things to work on/learn from, since that's what these milk-producing-creature are for.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YUZworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really cool entries all around. Comments:

Vic - Those are some crazy inventive creatures you have there, almost bordering on the abstract. Cool stuff.
    Arbinn - My favorite entry and the one I voted for. Gorgeous colors and a nice image overall.
    jrbarker - Hehe I really liked the little Shrik bird companion.
    Wixxi - Wow, very nearly got my vote. Your WIP didn't wow me but the finished product looks crazy good. Though I'm not a huge fan of the grass in the foreground. I really like the bird companion and the textured, feathery feel it has. Kudos.
    Lodi - I liked the cartoony feel of your pic a lot. And your creatures have a crazy amount of personality.
    dannE-b - Just slightly edged out by Arbinn for my vote. Awesome rendering overall and heaps of personality from both.
    Zarquino - Cool idea on the main creature, very creepy. Just a few minor things kept drawing my eye. Namely the differently proportioned legs on said bangaloo and the tree in the upper right corner (though not sure why my eye is drawn there, possibly the horns pointing at it I dunno).
    P - Whoa, the main creature looks cool though I'm not seeing the wrinkles. As it's rendered they seem a bit more like really defined muscles. The mouse hanging from his horn is a cool idea too but the way the tail is on there it seems very awkward.
    porcupine - Hey, grats on finishing. Both the creatures look better in your final though the tail continues to be the main problem area in my opinion.
    Jatari - Haha, really like the little companion proudly presenting it's find. And the creature designs themselves are very cool. Also the background is very well done. The only thing I could suggest is maybe lower the contrast a bit on the garbage to the right of your creatures as it keeps drawing my eye towards it.
    Runriot - Unique concept, though I'm not sure it fits the description well enough. Lord I'd hate to be walking on those stairs as it moved
    Basti0n - I like the creatures though it seems a bit rough in places. The dark splotchy area behind them (part of their shadow?) is the main offender. I would also take out the hand written part at the bottom. If you cut that out the image automatically gets better. I like the wrinkles rendered on the Yggaraseed.
    (lark - Love the main creature and he's rendered very well.
    YUZworks - Cool idea for the creatures but the picture itself seems very blurry. The brushes you used, especially on the ground, just overpower everything else. Also the same thing I say about Basti0n's piece is also wrong here. The hand written part just seems sloppy whenever I've seen it (so far) especially when you see the very clean/nicely labeled entries.
    J-Sun - I really like the designs themselves but the whole picture seems very blurry, except certain places where it's extremely sharp. Also the stark white background hurts my small beady eyes, a simple background would have helped a bunch. The companion is freakin adorable though, I would adopt and care for one of those if it was within my power to do so.
    chinadrgn - Awesome underwater creature. The whole background and various details really drag you into the deep with your creatures. That said, the image is huge and even at the fairly high resolution I view things at it doesn't fit on one screen. Shrink that puppy down.
    Kreator - Lol, the face on the main creature is really nice. You get a great sense of it's personality. I'd suggest even a simple background though to add to your already excellent creatures.

Okay wow, that took way longer than I figured it would. I'll have to cut down on the comment length next time and just cut to the chase

"As far as you and your work are concerned, life is line, tone, color, and design-plus your feelings about it." Andrew Loomis
    "A Lannister always pays his debts." -Tyrion Lannister

My Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...58#post2781858
    My DA - http://ssandulak.deviantart.com/
    My Tumblr - ssandulak.tumblr.com

Looking for work, send me a PM or email at ssandulak@hotmail.com

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ssandulak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks ssandulak, really helpfull.

I already found out the handwritten text made it sloppy and well... nasty, but by then I was way over the deadline, and had no rights to change it.
    I might use some other brushes, bet even with a plain round one my work tends to end up blurry. Have you got any good advice or links on that? (i'll prolly google some more as soon as i've got time to do that, but that might take a week or so)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be back tomorrow evening with crits for everyone. For now I'll just say that I voted for (lark who I thought gave his creatures a lot of feeling in both a tactile and personal sense.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow it was really, really hard to choose this week, there was just so many wonderful pictures to choose between. In the end my vote goes to ssandulak, I think he has captured the sense of wandering, the wrinkles and the colorfulness in the companion and really stuck to concept, something thats lacking in many other entries tho they still are great pictures theres something of the concept missing in many.

(I'm still feverish and ill, excuse my horrible grammar and spelling)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    High level!!. All works are very good. Are imaginatives, very fun. For me, the best are (lark or ssandulak or dannE-B. (The rest are goods too.). And my vote goes to........ ssandulak. Its technicament very good and has a touch of cartoons. Very goood.Congratulations for this work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked especially
    (lark - the wanderer could be strraight out of the dark crystal or hensons puppet box, thatīs great. like the concept, style and execution. combining the wrinkles with a pattern sold me. u got my vote.
    Kreator - is this name connected to the german thrash metal gods kreator from essen btw? great rendering. the companion is a bit stronger in my opinion, he has some nice expression on it.
    ssandulak - when i saw ur first sketch i thought this would be a strong competitor for the final vote. but itīs very hard to see details at this size and your wanderer looks more like being from stone than having wrinkles in his skin. i like the humour and comp though.
    runriot - cool creature (especially the giant) but didnīt hit the requirements as well as many others.
    jatari - u chose a different approach, i liked that. i wished i could see a bit more of the lil fella. hard to spot all the details.
    P - your sketch sold me. i wished u wouldīve rendered this more. it still looks like sketch or rough color blocking - it looks so messy that itīs hard to focus the eye on details. shapes are a bit hard to differentiate. i for example (perhaps i am just stupid) realized that the wanderer got hanging eyes at the 3rd or 4th look i had at your piece. would be my winner if u rendered more.
    dannE-B - now thatīs a cool concept. both style and humour fit. but compared to the others they remain two pretty generic creatures: bird and ape, although they got more human-like faces and expressions.
    Lodin - nice to see you doing a diferent style. looks good as well. BUT: GIVE ME MORE WRINKLES!
    ARBINN - wow, thatīs a cool one.probably the best wrinkled wanderer in my opinion. wrinkles en masse, a colorful piece, well readable, many details. (lark only robbed my vote by having these wrinkle-patterns. you evolve from round to round. thatīs great to see.

sorry for not commenting the others. u all had nice concepts but i am in a hurry.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Kreator, i think the rendering of both creatures is very nice and i love how cute the little one is :3

I also liked lots of others and those i liked a bit less are still impressive enough to write a few things about, so i will try and comment everyone's work this evening, now i have a swimming pool to visit XD

One's humble Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough one. But I went with Jatari's piece on this one. Theres a definate sense of the relationship that these two creatures have and there is a believable story that they exist in. Both of the creatures are interacting with eachother, it is not a one-sided encounter in any way. Nice job.

Also liked Runriot's concept. It was both original and epic. But it seems that the form of the creature gets lost pretty quickly once your eye travels away from the head area.

(lark with some really stellar rendering too! I'd take it back a notch on using that texture brush on your ground/scenery. It makes the painting feel a bit too "synthesized" for lack of a better term. Try and make your backgrounds complement the creature rather than simply exist as a backdrop for them.

Props to everyone else! The next round looks awesome, I'll be sure to see you there!

Follow me on Tumblr -> Visual Intrigue
    Available for Commissions! Email me at mhowley@c.ringling.edu

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IVIATT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Alright back for the crits like I try to do every week:
    Vic Gonzalez - They're funny looking guys, there and there's a sense of personality to them. I can easily see a bumbling way of moving. That said it is very clear the speed with which the piece was put out and I would advise taking more time to really refine your pieces.
    Arbinn - You've managed to pull off very well a good quality of line here, but it makes me miss the great sense of form you have when you render using only form without line. I know it's a stylistic change for the subject and it works well but I think the style I'm used to seeing you use is stronger overall.
    jrbarker - The bottom creature has a pretty great sense of mass to it, but you're using white and black for shadows and highlights which will always flatten a piece. You're companion seems not to have gotten the attention the wanderer did and it shows in it's mass and form versus the wanderer. The only other crit I have is to do some animal studies with legs, the legs don't look like they'd move fluidly and it's important to create a sense of the creature's ability to exist, eat, breathe and move. You have the first few parts down very well, that last one needs a bit of work.
    Wixxi - You've managed quite well to create a unified piece. I feel that those creature belong in that environment and that they exist in that world you've given us a glimpse of. I don't really see the elk as being wrinkled so much as carapaced, though. I would also take a look at some references of deer/elk on that front leg being lifted since that looks a little stiff.
    Lodin - This is a totally different style that I'm used to seeing from you. It's very clean and crisp and it's full of personality. It has a charm that I can immediately see and am drawn to. Your description really adds to the sense of endearment I get with them. I feel certain aspects of the way you've shaded it and the background versus the creatures could be refined but I'd love to see you pursue this style further in the future.
    DannE-B - This piece was very close to getting my vote. It had a lot of style and personality. There's a genuine excitement about the monkey-like creature and the bird has the greatest self-indulgent and lazy expression. That personality paired with a rendering style that fits the subject to a tee makes it just a very strong piece overall. If I have any complaint it's with the forms in the background. At a glance they look fine but held up to inspection they seem a bit like the spacing on your brush might have been set too high. Your style here demands smooth and organic strokes from the background and they seem a bit rough here.
    Zarquino - Your drawing reminds me very much of a cover to the book Oryx and Crake. I would recommend a harder brush on your highlights and softer brushes on your shadows. I'd just like to see the wanderer a little wrinklier, too. My biggest problem is really just that I don't feel that much of a relationship between the two creatures.
    P - There's a wonderful painterly aspect to your rendering style, but with that comes some ambiguity in form. The eye stalks are easily lost in the rest of the body, and parts of the larger creatures midriff lack the form of other parts. I like the idea of the dangling mouse-like creature but somehow I doubt that it's tail would hold it dangling if it wasn't wrapped round the horn at all.
    porcupine - There's a great sense to the annoyance of the wanderer with it's companion and the desperation of the companion to stay with it's wanderer. The wrinkles you have on the bird are wonderful and I'd love to see that same quality of line more present throughout the piece. If there's one aspect you should look at it's contrast, not just in a tonal sense but in a color sense. It's mostly light-midtones throughout the piece and the most colours are highly desaturated. I would recommend putting your piece in black and white periodically to check contrast. If the colour doesn't change a whole lot, add some saturation, if the tone doesn't change a lot, add some variation in lights and darks.
    Jatari - You've captured very well a sense of the raccoon of the future. A dumpster diving pair of creatures. There's a great relationship between the two, and for the most part your sense of form is excellent. I would like to see a little more tonal variation and a little more texture to the big guy.
    runriot - There's a really sense of epic scale and that's great. There's a reliance on line that really makes the architectural elements feel more tacked on than they should and I almost feel the architecture should take up more space than it does. I'd like to see a little more relationship between the creatures, and a little more definition to the little guy, but I think you've got a great and original concept, it just needs to be refined.
    Bastion - Very smooth and crisp rendering on the creatures. I think you did a better job of integrating the tree onto a creatures back than I did back in the Forest Harvester round. The background feels rushed with the level of definition for the creatures. The composition is a bit too centered as well, especially with that red right there drawing all the attention, off centering those focal points would create a stronger overall piece.
    ssandulak - There's a very nice graphic sense to your piece. It's clean and there's something almost comical about the one point perspective and the jagged mesa with the bus stop and bench. The only thing I can really think of to benefit the piece at the moment is to desaturate the background objects like the mountains and mesas a bit to give a better sense of space and distance.
    (lark - Like I said, because of the feeling of the piece coupled with strong rendering, I voted for it. I would heed IVIATT's advice and watch out with the textures you used for the ground, a little more moderation on those would not hurt. Keep it up, though, you're really getting great at digital painting.
    YUZworks - I like the implication that this octopus-like creature on it's back is feeding voices into it's head to push the rock. It's the only sense of true sense of symbiosis that I really saw this round. On the other hand you need to use much harder brushes, everything looks out of focus and a bit unrefined which is not helped by the lettering below.
    J-Sun - I can see a very clear relationship between these two creatures. Even if I get the sense that one is a young version of the other I see a companionship clearly. I usually say to avoid the black but I'd say on this one to avoid the white, it looks overexposed and coupled with a pure white background it becomes difficult to look at and process fully.
    chinadrgn - Okay, you may want to dial down the image size purely for viewing purposes. I like the concept and I like the fact that it's a male and female of the same species. The problem relies solely in rendering. You have great textures but you rely heavily on line to define form, using areas of light and dark will create a form in ways that line just can't and creating texture with that looks much more organic. You have the right idea with the fish, it just needs to be applied to your creatures a bit more.
    Kreator - It's an overall very strong piece with a great sense of companionship. The creatures feel believable and there's some great texture going on. Watch out with the base outlines which are coming through in certain parts, but they hardly take anything away from the piece. Keep it up.

Cheers all!

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1