Architecture and Watercolor?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Architecture and Watercolor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Architecture and Watercolor?

Anybody know why so many architects and arch. students render in watercolor? just a curiosity

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most architects I know now work digitally with 3D models (because this has the advantage of creating floorplans, sections, and elevations as well as a final rendered, scenic, colored image) or various digital media programs. However when my dad (principle of Hodges & Hodges Architects) was working in real media he favored a combination of marker and airbrush. Most landscape architects I have met still favor markers (copics or prismacolors). My guesses as to why these media are popular for this application?

1) It's translucent. You can work over a plotted elevation, retaining all necessary details and technical aspects of the drawing. Or for studies you can work over the top of a sketch and not loose the line drawing.

2) It's fast. It dries fast, when working on a large volume of work present in the office, something that dries quickly is an absolute necessity.

3) It can cover a large area very quickly. When working on full sized plot, anything that can cover large volumes of wall, sky, or landscape is going to be a boon. Hence the preference of airbrushes as well.

That's my explanation from what I've seen anyway, but no doubt different architects prefer different media.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My guess would be that it's transparent, so they can just lay down washes over a pen drawing and keep the linework. Trying to paint a fully rendered piece of technical architecture without linework? Ouch. You'd be there for months and months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, those are about what I thought. I'm doing an internship at Davis Architects in Birmingham AL, and they mostly use digital media. Personally I think I'd rather use watercolor, even though I'm garbage with it; then again, I've not tried fully rendering a complex architectural work. For anyone who does use watercolor often, how is it that people manage to get such fine lining on the drawings with the rough texture of watercolor paper? Thanks guys much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They might be using hot pressed paper or illustration board, which would give a much smoother surface. Then there's pen nib size and all that stuff. For the initial pencil work, they might do the initial drawing on vellum or something and make a graphite transfer onto the watercolour paper.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Straight edge ruler, Drafting tape and liquid mask. Hold the ruler at an angle so the edge sits in the ring in the brush ferrel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i thought they might be using illus. board, but I went to American Institute of Architecture Students Notre Dame chapter website and they have nothing but cold press
    http://www.nd.edu/~aiasnd/store.html
    I thought they might transfer as well which would make sense
    What do you mean about the ruler Dpaint? Have you done any?
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.