Best White Marker?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Best White Marker?

I'm trying to find a white marker to use for outlining in my moleskine. I'm looking for something that won't bleed horribly and is fairly opaque. I can't stand those "shake em up" paint markers that you have to smush the tip on before you get a big blob of paint to come out. Sure they're fantastic if you're into tagging up bathroom stalls but not very precise or tidy for a moleskine. Any suggestions?

sketchbook
    blog

support your local library!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadly the only kind I know that give a solid white pigment are that shake up kind, Sakura is my brand of choice since it dosen't seem to leak (did the outlines on this with my thin one, the thinnest size can be fairly detailed). Personally I don't mind the shake up and press thing here, as it seems to work quite well so long as you get the marker flowing on a spare sheet of paper. But I understand why you'd want to stay away from that.

A google shopping search reveals a sharpie marker that may be up your ally. It's hard to tell if it's an actual marker or the press kind though. It is rare to find white markers that arn't of that kind, and I would be suspect as to how well they work.

Have you tried using white acrylic or gouache paint? Admittedly not as easy to carry around, but effective if you can manage it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm afraid that the only practical course to take will be to use a gouache or something, I was hoping that someone on CA had privy to knowledge about some white marker that I haven't heard of yet.

I'm assuming you did the white outlines on your piece with one of those clever gel pens? Those are cool but not what I'm looking for. I need something with a bit more width.

sketchbook
    blog

support your local library!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No the white lines there are done with the sakura pens that I linked (here http://www.dickblick.com/products/sa...paint-markers/ specifically product number 21326-1005, Fine Tip Marker, White). They are of the variety of shake and push ones that you mentioned. The piece is 8"x10" which might help give some sense of scale for the lines.

I would kill for a magic white acrylic paint in a pen I tell ya. The only thing slightly close I've ever seen was a white out pen that was basically a ballpoint pen with white-out ink in it. The thing made a god awful mess though because you had to squeeze the soft well of the pen to get the stuff out (yeah yeah, sounds vaguely wrong, I know, heh).

Members who have read this thread: 1