Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 15

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Thanks
    Hi, this is also my first time posting on this website.

i'll keep my thoughts short and brief:

Having read through a good chunk of the posts over here ,my curiosity regarding the general atmosphere of the school is satiated. I also happen to have a senior who has gone through this school [batch 2011 if i'm not wrong ] and had the privilege to ask him personally what his school life was like.

All this helped me make my decision that i should enroll here after finishing my polytechnic education.

The latest set of questions that need answering would be the post above [EMoraga's] regarding the rumours. I will try my best to inquire with my senior on that issue, as transparent business practices are what this world really needs.

if you have any further questions that you'd like to ask an FZD alumni [my senior] do hit me up via private messaging or simply reply to my post - I am way too active on the internet nowadays lol. We are all here to help each other out =D

thanks all

cheers

Kira

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kirawan10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for replying kira , after 5 days of no reply I thought my post was going to go unseen lol, good to know that you can ask your senior about the school, if you don't mind, could you ask him how satisfied is he about the education he recieved at the school? How hard was it? What teachers were in the school while he was atending it and how good were they at teaching? How does Feng treats his tudents? How many classes does Feng impart and how much time does he spends in the school? What are his thoughts regarding the rummors? Does he knows why Ben, Eduardo, Thomas and Long left? Is the school worth the investemnt? aaaaand...could he share some of his work? xD sorry if I'm bashing you with questions here but I really need to be sure on what I'm getting myself into, so I have to get all the information I can, the school is freaking expensive and Singapore is no cheap place to live either so any information that you could get from him would really help me make my mind. Thanks

By the way cute profile picture, gotta love kill la kill!!!

Thanks
    There seems to be some issues with the my private messaging system. I sent messages to Kirawan10 and EMoraga but couldn't see the sent items in the folder. I have similar questions as EMoraga.

Thanks
    Hi guys!
    Been thinking about this school for years, ( I'm 19 ) and really have been considering attending later on maybe in my 20's. My question would be, is there any international girls that have attended the school? Is it relatively safe in the area?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weeneeds View Post
    Hi Kabukicat,
    Thanks for sharing those info, that was awesome!
    Do you know if they have many students like in middle 30's there? I saw the graduation show and only notice very young people there, and they can be just mean to elderly one, lol!

Thanks again!
    Yes i have a couple of classmates in their 30s, i even have a senior in his 40s i think. Age range here is averaging on 22-35, so don't worry about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kabukicat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EMoraga View Post
    Thanks for replying kira , after 5 days of no reply I thought my post was going to go unseen lol, good to know that you can ask your senior about the school, if you don't mind, could you ask him how satisfied is he about the education he recieved at the school? How hard was it? What teachers were in the school while he was atending it and how good were they at teaching? How does Feng treats his tudents? How many classes does Feng impart and how much time does he spends in the school? What are his thoughts regarding the rummors? Does he knows why Ben, Eduardo, Thomas and Long left? Is the school worth the investemnt? aaaaand...could he share some of his work? xD sorry if I'm bashing you with questions here but I really need to be sure on what I'm getting myself into, so I have to get all the information I can, the school is freaking expensive and Singapore is no cheap place to live either so any information that you could get from him would really help me make my mind. Thanks

Do not worry about the rumors. It's not important, feng is full time on his school. If you come here you will find that no one gives a bother about it, the important part is that you learn a lot. Out of the 4 teachers you've mentioned? Only two were Able to come here And really teAch. Whatever the rumor it does not affect the quality of the school i assure you. I hope this helps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kabukicat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Jabb, I don't think you would have any problem at all, as far as I know Singapore is a very safe and clean place to live, so don't worry abour that.

Emmanuel, I actually did got your message, I read it and I was going to reply to it later, but it got deleted of my recieved messages folder I don't know why :/. I got the information about the rummros in several different sites so I don't remeber where I got what, and the site where I found the letter is down I think, still here it is: https://warosu.org/ic/?task=page&page=1

What made me suspicious about the autenticity of the letter is the fact that the 4 instructors mentioned on the letter left the school almost at the same time and about 2 or 3 months ago Feng wrote a post on his facebook page to let everyone know that someone was sending that letter telling awful things about him and that it was all lies and that he could be trusted etc...I took the time to read both the responses feng wrote on his FB and the letter and they actually match pretty well, what the letter says Feng did, Feng says he didn't in his FB post...

Thanks
    Thanks Kabukicat, yeah I read on some other forum yesterday that tha fact that the instructors left didn't really affected the quality of the school and that Feng teachings are really good and that he is always in the school, so yeah maybe its not such a big deal after all and what do you mean about the instructors? I didn't understood that part...so of the 4 instructors Feng mentioned on his blog only 2 actually teached at the school? or that 2 of the 4 left first and then the other 2 left?

thanks for sharing !

Thanks
    Thanks Kabukicat, yeah I read on some other forum yesterday that tha fact that the instructors left didn't really affected the quality of the school and that Feng teachings are really good and that he is always in the school, so yeah maybe its not such a big deal after all and what do you mean about the instructors? I didn't understood that part...so of the 4 instructors Feng mentioned on his blog only 2 actually teached at the school? or that 2 of the 4 left first and then the other 2 left?

thanks for sharing !
    As far as i know only ben And eduardo was able to fully teach here. One reason we pay it no mind is because what transpired is quite unprofessional. If there is any disagreements, it could have been settled between them in private. These problems might have been settled with talk. But that is their business, its quite ungainly if students get caught in between, and that is something feng has already settled with us. With or without them, the curriculum is still solid. If you guys want to have an idea what stuff you will encounter here, try watching scott robertson on youtube.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kabukicat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I went to Ben Mauro's DA and found this

http://boards.4chan.org/ic/thread/17...l-discontinued

Thanks

Senior's FZD experience

Hey all, sorry for the late reply, this website is rather buggy when tracking its posts and accounts in general.

I think to answer your queries it's more convenient and legit to just extract chat logs of the casual conversation that i had with him on FZD life [ yes indeed, how convenient that all your queries were answered in that single conversation ;p

Name:  fzd school testimonal.png
Views: 532
Size:  67.9 KB

HIS SITE:

http://geometrickoncept.com/

I think i'll also let the works and biography speak for itself

and as for the rumours...

he didn't really concern himself with such things. Like others said, politics are quite irrelevant when the school has already set a course and with you having a goal in mind. Being professionals [ big-shots at that], I think they should have resolved the matter soundly among themselves - hardly the students' business. Also, it's 2014 anyway -- no point in dwelling in such antiquated matters.

hope to see this thread flourishing with more info and posts ;]

cheers

Kira

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kirawan10 View Post
    Hey all, sorry for the late reply, this website is rather buggy when tracking its posts and accounts in general.

I think to answer your queries it's more convenient and legit to just extract chat logs of the casual conversation that i had with him on FZD life [ yes indeed, how convenient that all your queries were answered in that single conversation ;p

Name:  fzd school testimonal.png
Views: 532
Size:  67.9 KB

HIS SITE:

http://geometrickoncept.com/

I think i'll also let the works and biography speak for itself

and as for the rumours...

he didn't really concern himself with such things. Like others said, politics are quite irrelevant when the school has already set a course and with you having a goal in mind. Being professionals [ big-shots at that], I think they should have resolved the matter soundly among themselves - hardly the students' business. Also, it's 2014 anyway -- no point in dwelling in such antiquated matters.

hope to see this thread flourishing with more info and posts ;]

cheers

Kira
    That's well said Kira, but I do want to say a few last things to future students. Regarding your chat with an alumni, a few things has slightly changed. It is true that you will get behind As the week progress if you do not put effort in learning, and it is true that you sleep for an hour or two a day. I would say because most likely, if you had extra time, use it to better your homework. The load is very doable.

Second, do not see people as competition. Friendly competition do arise sure but my class strive hard to help each other. We came in 30, we strive to graduate 30. Share what you know and do not hoard. Let it be an inspiring environment, homework is stressful enough to burn you out. If people see everyone is working hard, its kind of contagious.

Third is drop the ego. Our class has varying levels of mastery sure, but mastery of different topics, genres And skills. You simply cannot compare. Even if you are the best painter or line artist, set aside what you know and ask questions and relearn.

Lastly, the later batches like mine, my seniors the current 2nd term students, and incoming june students, I've been told that they started to screen us. Dramatically, the drop rate has declined. My current class has none so far. The school i would say has adjusted its curriculum on a sweet spot right now. Its pretty balanced, and the students are mostly on the right mind set. So don't worry and just start prepping mentally, physicAlly and financially. Start watching documentaries of any sort and explore the world as much as you can. This is as far as i can share. You guys will have your own experiences when you come here.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabukicat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kabukikat would you say that people are able to get more sleep now? Was the reason why they couldn't get any sleep because of the homework or was it because they were not able to complete it and the homework gets compounded?

I can't imagine how people can function when they don't get any sleep.

You mentioned that the load is very do-able. Can you give us some examples of what kind of assignments you have? I mean it doesn't have to be very detailed but maybe you could tell us about the number of A3 panels you have to do etc.? Maybe an example of certain weeks?

Thank you,
    Emmanuel

Thanks
    hi guys, thanks for the answer to that last question. i have one more, whats the homework assignment schedule like? does anyone know?
    are you assigned small assignments each day? big project each week? just curious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelC View Post
    Kabukikat would you say that people are able to get more sleep now? Was the reason why they couldn't get any sleep because of the homework or was it because they were not able to complete it and the homework gets compounded?

I can't imagine how people can function when they don't get any sleep.

You mentioned that the load is very do-able. Can you give us some examples of what kind of assignments you have? I mean it doesn't have to be very detailed but maybe you could tell us about the number of A3 panels you have to do etc.? Maybe an example of certain weeks?

Thank you,
    Emmanuel
    Homework is all about making decisions. They will ask you to draw specific things, its up to you what references you will get. That's one example. It's also upto you if you will do your best or pass for the sake of passing. Its also about time mAnagement. Homeworks are done for a week. You got 4 subjects. There will be times you enjoy stuff too much you spend most of your time on it Nd forget about your other subjects. Also failing to push yourself to do more complicated stuff will cause you problems on following terms.
    Check out scott robertson on youtube to be prepared before coming here. Homework gets more And more complicated as week goes and it gradually gets heavier.

Thanks
    Losing sleep will always be there. There's really nothing we can do about it. Cramming all in a year and losing a bit of sleep, but getting results is worth it for me. You can sleep 6 hours a day and pass good work, its also possible you sleep 1 hour a day and pass bad work. Its all on making decisions and understanding the lesson.

Thanks
    oh sorry, one more question.
    anyone know the cost of living in singapore? like, food, housing, etc?
    i imagine it would be close to the price of the actual tuition. eeef..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jabb View Post
    oh sorry, one more question.
    anyone know the cost of living in singapore? like, food, housing, etc?
    i imagine it would be close to the price of the actual tuition. eeef..
    Hi there jabb, I think I am pretty much qualified to answer your queries based on the 7 years i've spent living in Singapore.

HOUSING

I'm fortunate enough to be living with my grandma, so I can only tell you the rates based on what i've read and heard from speaking to locals.

STUDENT HOSTEL (standard) - ~1k SGD / month
    CONDOMINIUM - ~2.5-3k SGD / month

The closer it is to prime areas and hotspots such as the Central Business District, Orchard Road or the school, expect it to be considerably more expensive.

Best way to cut down on rent, like others have said,is to either find special deals with landlords that have hosted FZD students before or split the cost with another classmate.

Food

Ultra Budget MRT Food stalls - $1.5 SGD ~ $3.5SGD [!] Economical chicken rice, mixed rice and what-not. Favourite stuff of the foreign workers before they go to work. You can cut costs by eating their things everyday but don't expect to come out too healthy ;p
    HDB Hawker Centre - ~3SGD - $4SGD prices vary, but expect a good variety if you find a good one.
    City Food Court - ~$3.5 SGD for a bowl of fishball noodles / equivalent
    Mall Food Court - $4.5 SGD - 6.0 SGD for chicken rice / same meal as above
    Fast Food - $5 SGD - $ 13 SGD . Prices vary wildly as some outlets like KFC have student deals, while you can also fork out 13 SGD for a wallop at Carl's Jr. It's up to you.
    Low-Tier Restaurants -$20 SGD per receipt - More of a luxury than anything really - i don't usually eat these and if luxuries are out of the question then you shouldn't bother too

My suggestion? Learn convenient cooking tips and recipes and just buy groceries from NTUC Fairprice :p

Transport

Single-Trip MRT Ticket $2.50 SGD upwards [ with a refund of $1 upon returning card]
    Single-Trip Bus Ticket $1.50 SGD upwards - Pay inside the bus; prepare coins.
    EZ-LINK Card Base value of $10 SGD, can be repeatedly Topped up and pretty much serves as a multi-trip MRT ticket. Also works for payment for buses.HEAVILY Recommended to get the EZ-LInk if you want to conveniently get around Singapore.

Taxi $ 3.40 Flag off, then $0.20 / Km.
    If you hail a cab inside the city and during peak hours expect roughly %25 more in cab fare.

Supplies

While not terribly expensive, prepare around 60 SGD per month to buy supplies ( soap, toothbrush etc etc) from NTUC to prevent yourself from looking like a hobo.

I think that's all for now.

Feel free to ask me if you've anymore questions regarding costs ;3

Thanks
    Hi kirawan10,

Do you know some popular list of apartments/flat or hostel that FZD student used to stay? Because I'm planning to enrol next year feb intake.

Thanks
    Hello! First time posting so sorry if I do anything wrong ^_^

So only recently (about a month ago)I decided that I wanted to learn to draw and become a concept artist. Radical I know, but despite my first attempts being terrible, I was just having so much fun that I really want to turn this into a career. I am currently only a 15 year old living in the UK and I know that it will take a long time, but I am saving everything that I earn from my job and spending my free time studying and learning to draw in the hope that I will make it as a job.

So I was wondering, as I am saving to come to Feng Zhu's School of Design in a few years, I am not sure as to whether or not this is a good idea. I think that although I can hardly draw now give 3 years I will hopefully be reasonable and I THINK that I will be able to cope. I already only sleep about 5 hours a night as it is so I think I can adjust to the long days.

What do you guys think ? Should I just get back to studying and stop this crazy idea of becoming a concept artist? Or should I effectively devote myself to saving up to go to this place? I want to take the risk but I was wondering what you all think.

Thanks for all the great information posted so far and best of luck to you all still studying at the school and everyone else with their artwork !

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Members who have read this thread: 271