Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi people, thanks everybody for sharing their experience.
    Did somebody take any one of the short certificate courses?? They seem interesting and since I cannot attend the full one year diploma they could be an intertesting boost to my self-taught formation. I don't understand if they are worth the expense though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit; didn't read up

Last edited by finnianm; March 20th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by finnianm View Post
    Man, I really want to go here after Art Center, seems like such an awesome place. Even if they work you hard @_@
    What? After Art Center?! Are we talking about THE Art Center College of Design in California? I think if you finish Art Center, youre well prepared for any job in the industry, you wont need the education of the Feng Zhu School!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by finnianm View Post
    Man, I really want to go here after Art Center, seems like such an awesome place. Even if they work you hard @_@
    You do know Feng Zhu graduated from the art center right? going to his school afterwards would be a mindless waste of money.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I read up on it more earlier today- Was just going off of some of the work I've seen posted from the school, though now I've looked at the idea behind it more. Stupid me :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow , I was considering (not too much though ) saving some money and study at FZD. But after I read about the discrimination issues at FZD I am not considering it anymore. However, keep in mind that I do not know many things about art schools and how they work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I've just registered for CA and was reading through this thread. I'm looking to apply to FZD as an international student for the October intake and was wondering if anyone wanted to split an apartment.

I read everyone's comments about the dichotomization of the successful students and the struggling students and whatnot. Helpful info to know. If anything, it just makes me more pumped to succeed and work my ass off to be in the cool crowd :3 Kind of a back-handed motivator, if you will.

I, for one, believe that rooming with someone might actually be a good way to work together, encourage and motivate each other, keep one another awake, etc. I think it might also be cool to have a roommate because it helps also to create an environment where you're around other people who are drawing and that makes you more motivated to draw yourself. Not nearly as potently as the classroom environment would, but hey, it's better than trying to go it alone.

I'm kind of a vampire. Very night-active, don't really know the meaning of sleep, etc.

If any international students or Singapore residents are down for splitting a place for FZD in October, please do let me know. Send me a PM or whatever and we'll figure stuff out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. I made a post here but it doesn't seem to be showing up :/

Anyhoo, I'm going to be applying for the October intake. Will there be any other international students applying for it?

I for one am not scared about any discrimination issues. Now that I've read up on what other people have to say, it's just going to motivate me to work harder than ever these next few months before going over to Singapore to make sure I'm ahead of the game sufficiently enough that I don't have to worry about falling behind. Preparedness and whatnot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, anyone know what's going on with Sophia Campus Ville? They don't have any up-to-date rent prices (it says the prices are valid through December 31st, 2009) and the e-mail address on the site is bouncing back for some weird reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    delete

Last edited by pipboy; March 30th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by katmachiavelli View Post

I for one am not scared about any discrimination issues. Now that I've read up on what other people have to say, it's just going to motivate me to work harder than ever these next few months before going over to Singapore to make sure I'm ahead of the game sufficiently enough that I don't have to worry about falling behind. Preparedness and whatnot
    I understand what you mean but if the discrimination issues that people here are talking about are true, I would not want to attend there even if I am the best student there. Assuming you prepared enough to make you one of the best students there, wont you feel bad about the injustice other students are suffering from while you are being positively discriminated ?

I can understand that studying under Feng would be amazing. He is one of my heroes when it comes to concept design. I must have watched all his Gnomon DVDs a lot of times with the same excitement every time. I also heard that he is a good guy. However, I am critisizing their approach to students. I am aware that good students also advertise the school. But they can at least create different classes for different skill levels. No one should suffer from discrimination neither negative nor positive (for good students) when they are paying amazing amounts of money to be able to study there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pipboy View Post
    I understand what you mean but if the discrimination issues that people here are talking about are true, I would not want to attend there even if I am the best student there. Assuming you prepared enough to make you one of the best students there, wont you feel bad about the injustice other students are suffering from while you are being positively discriminated ?

I can understand that studying under Feng would be amazing. He is one of my heroes when it comes to concept design. I must have watched all his Gnomon DVDs a lot of times with the same excitement every time. I also heard that he is a good guy. However, I am critisizing their approach to students. I am aware that good students also advertise the school. But they can at least create different classes for different skill levels. No one should suffer from discrimination neither negative nor positive (for good students) when they are paying amazing amounts of money to be able to study there.
    I understand that it's true and know what you mean, though they aren't teachers, they're art directors. They treat you like Junior Designers, not students. You need to pull your own weight, and if you don't, they will give up on you. It's kind of like college; you will be able to see the signs if you are struggling and failing, but the professors expect YOU to be the one to pull yourself out of it.

Therefore, armed with that knowledge, you should work your ass off to make sure that you don't fall into that category so that you can benefit most.
    Many pro artists (such as Dave Rapoza) were self-taught or had shitty art school experiences and had to motivate themselves. If you are choosing not to go there because the teachers won't hold your hand if you're struggling and you don't want to work harder and work on your own learning to get out of that kind of treatment, then to be perfectly honest, that's your problem, not the school's.

Use it as a motivator. It's a competitive industry. You might feel bad because your classmates are getting harsh treatments for falling behind but honestly, you're all fighting for the same jobs. AND, from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like you have enough time for a social life, so how other people are faring if they're worse off than you should be really inconsequential.

If it were to happen to me, I'd take it not as a blow to my ego but a kick in the pants for me to work harder. Therefore, I am not worried.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katmachiavelli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pipboy View Post

I understand that it's true and know what you mean, though they aren't teachers, they're art directors. They treat you like Junior Designers, not students. You need to pull your own weight, and if you don't, they will give up on you. It's kind of like college; you will be able to see the signs if you are struggling and failing, but the professors expect YOU to be the one to pull yourself out of it.

Therefore, armed with that knowledge, you should work your ass off to make sure that you don't fall into that category so that you can benefit most.
    Many pro artists (such as Dave Rapoza) were self-taught or had shitty art school experiences and had to motivate themselves. If you are choosing not to go there because the teachers won't hold your hand if you're struggling and you don't want to work harder and work on your own learning to get out of that kind of treatment, then to be perfectly honest, that's your problem, not the school's.

Use it as a motivator. It's a competitive industry. You might feel bad because your classmates are getting harsh treatments for falling behind but honestly, you're all fighting for the same jobs. AND, from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like you have enough time for a social life, so how other people are faring if they're worse off than you should be really inconsequential.

If it were to happen to me, I'd take it not as a blow to my ego but a kick in the pants for me to work harder. Therefore, I am not worried.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be trying to go on the October intake for this year as well! Wondering where I'm going to end up living if i get accepted. But, hopefully I'll see you all there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, sorry for the double-post before. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ct2ulao View Post
    I will be trying to go on the October intake for this year as well! Wondering where I'm going to end up living if i get accepted. But, hopefully I'll see you all there
    I tried e-mailing Sophia Campus Ville but for some reason the e-mail is bouncing back. It seems like a good place to stay....... if only I could get in touch with the people there, that'd be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is definately where i would go but 54k from international students and 9k here in New Zealand is actually too expensive so i have no idea how i could afford this. But yes If I had a chance i would love Feng zu to teach me, on youtube he makes everything scientifically make sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, sorry for the double-post before. My bad.

I tried e-mailing Sophia Campus Ville but for some reason the e-mail is bouncing back. It seems like a good place to stay....... if only I could get in touch with the people there, that'd be awesome.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna be visiting the school 1 month before classes start just to find a place to live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna be visiting the school 1 month before classes start just to find a place to live.
    I'm trying to respond to your PM but I get this error that says I need 10 posts to respond to your message :/

Where in the US are you from, if I may ask?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like an interesting school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TOTALLY is! The way he teches Concept art or conceptual design is really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be attending their Diploma Class this June and my my interview will be on Monday. @_@ I'm planning on staying at Pearl Hill Hostel which is a lot closer to the new building.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok well I'm a IB student in high school. Is it smart that I get a loan (or just save up money) to go to this school right after I finish high school? Or should I go to a college here in America first (such as SCAD, Ringling, or Full Sail) then go to FZD school?

Seeing this school and the projects are really inspiring me to become a concept art and to get better with my art work. And also to attend the school itself. I'm only a freshman so I know it's really early to plan this out lol

Also, is it possible to be an student and have I part-time job? I've read many posts about the workload, but there would be no other way for me to have personal money unless I get it from my parents. I asked them and they said if I pay for the tuition, they would do that for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to join my dad this summer when he goes to Singapore for a business trip, I would love to see the school itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chances are if you do your homework and a chunk of extra concepting during SCAD or Ringling years, you will not need more schooling to become a concept artist as you will be one already.
    unless you're so hyped to become a Feng clone.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to respond to your PM but I get this error that says I need 10 posts to respond to your message :/

Where in the US are you from, if I may ask?
    I'm from Orange County, California

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerodith View Post
    Ok well I'm a IB student in high school. Is it smart that I get a loan (or just save up money) to go to this school right after I finish high school? Or should I go to a college here in America first (such as SCAD, Ringling, or Full Sail) then go to FZD school?

Seeing this school and the projects are really inspiring me to become a concept art and to get better with my art work. And also to attend the school itself. I'm only a freshman so I know it's really early to plan this out lol

Also, is it possible to be an student and have I part-time job? I've read many posts about the workload, but there would be no other way for me to have personal money unless I get it from my parents. I asked them and they said if I pay for the tuition, they would do that for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to join my dad this summer when he goes to Singapore for a business trip, I would love to see the school itself.
    Have you checked out Art Center? Their program for Entertainment Design is perfect for aspiring concept artists/designers. And it's in Pasadena California.

The reason I'm planning on going to FZD (even though I'm from California), is the fact that it is only a 1 year course with similar training to Art Center. Plus, its about 3 to 4 times cheaper than Art Center. AND Feng Zhu teaches there... So it has many pluses.

But as a student coming out of high school, I'd suggest you go and try for Art Center. I hear the program is quite good there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you checked out Art Center? Their program for Entertainment Design is perfect for aspiring concept artists/designers. And it's in Pasadena California.

The reason I'm planning on going to FZD (even though I'm from California), is the fact that it is only a 1 year course with similar training to Art Center. Plus, its about 3 to 4 times cheaper than Art Center. AND Feng Zhu teaches there... So it has many pluses.

But as a student coming out of high school, I'd suggest you go and try for Art Center. I hear the program is quite good there
    I checked the art center Melbourne's programs , these are really awesome all type of classes and facility available
    You can check this link too:
    www.studyart.com.au/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks I looked through the Art Center website and read through Entertainment Design curriculum and I liked what I saw. The only thing that I disliked is how it's only available during Spring and Fall Terms. I don't know what I'll be doing for the other half of the year until the program starts back again...but I am still putting this school up for consideration.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, how did some of you international students pay for your tuition? Did you get a loan and you're paying it off after you graduate?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my personal research, i can honestly say that i've never seen ANY school turn out student work as polished and professional in the area of concept design, as what i have seen from FZD. Just seeing what students with very childish looking portfolios on the way in, can achieve in just ONE year is amazing! This is pretty staggering, considering FZD lets almost anyone into their program. As opposed to alot of other schools that only let in semi pros, in order to deceive prospective students (Customers) into thinking the school's program is THAT good, and worth the overpriced tag.
    Also, it is worthy of notice, that one year of constant 9:00 A.M through 6:30 P.M, monday through friday contact, and one on one, face to face interaction with your instructors, at about $34,000 for the WHOLE diploma program, sounds ALOT better than spending about 3 years taking online courses for about only 7 hours a week, for a price tag of almost $100,000!!!
    Just my two cents, cause i know most of us here are not mega rich, or willing to acquire a massive debt, to obtain a degree that supposedly we don't need anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydivered7 View Post
    From my personal research, i can honestly say that i've never seen ANY school turn out student work as polished and professional in the area of concept design, as what i have seen from FZD. Just seeing what students with very childish looking portfolios on the way in, can achieve in just ONE year is amazing! This is pretty staggering, considering FZD lets almost anyone into their program. As opposed to alot of other schools that only let in semi pros, in order to deceive prospective students (Customers) into thinking the school's program is THAT good, and worth the overpriced tag.
    Also, it is worthy of notice, that one year of constant 9:00 A.M through 6:30 P.M, monday through friday contact, and one on one, face to face interaction with your instructors, at about $34,000 for the WHOLE diploma program, sounds ALOT better than spending about 3 years taking online courses for about only 7 hours a week, for a price tag of almost $100,000!!!
    Just my two cents, cause i know most of us here are not mega rich, or willing to acquire a massive debt, to obtain a degree that supposedly we don't need anyway.
    I agree with you completely. Even for international students, this school is cheaper than majority of the art schools in the US, unless you have scholarships. I've decided to make FZD my plan B if I graduate high school without any scholarships. With the support from my parents, it would be easier to pay off loans from FZD than going to somewhere like SCAD.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 302