Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Feng Zhu School of Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What mike88 mentioned made me think...and I deeply believe that no one should ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    I think some people are kinda misled by FZD's marketing & hype. Some ppl might be disappointed to learn the truth after entering that school because the experience is not as expected & the money might be more well-spent elsewhere.
    The fees are astronomical especially for international students. One might be betta off with better & cheaper options in the US or other parts of the world. It's best to do more research on all the similar courses offered by the different schools & academies.
    Do they really teach as much & as well as described?
    Do they teach in an understandable manner that works for all the students rather than a 'free-style' approach? Teaching what they like as & when, leaving out certain key points/topics as a result of the inconsistencies
    Do they really help the students? (Or are they even interested to do so in the first place since it's a waste of their precious time?)
    Pls find out if a school is really doing some guinea-pig testing style. What good is a school if it benefits mostly the tyrants' pockets & not the individual student?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,

since some of you are interested in the progress of an fzd student, i thought i'd go out on a limb and embarrass myself by sharing my not-so-fantastic website/blog. i dabbled in graphic design and vector art before enrolling. i knew very little of concept art.

this was my first attempt about a year ago:

i decided to upload almost every single assignment i did in hopes of tracking my own progress as well as provide some information to others who are curious about the process involved.

i hope they help to answer your questions in any way. the site won't be up for long, as i'm about to prepare my portfolio soon, so take a look while it's up

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freakyfir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is weird I could swear there was another post by flourite after the one that I did

freakyfir: Thank you so much..seriously this is so exciting!

It's amazing how this thread has grown with such content thanks to everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I have already got accepted for the one year program due in october...just waiting for the visa application and other stuff to be filled out..I have a question for the international students..

1) When do they mostly deploy the documents for the visa application?
    Because I havent recieved any of the documents and im 2 months away from the commencement date.

2) How long does the visa process take?
    As I would need to book my flight tickets at the earliest so it wouldnt cause inconvenience later on.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ShehZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi SheZ

I can only tell by experience. From what I remember I was informed that I got accepted maybe 2 or 3 weeks before school started and the Student Visa was processed when I arrived in Singapore and submitted my requirements.

Maybe you should be in Singapore 2 or 3 weeks before school officially starts, a bit expensive if you still don't have a place to stay though. Check on how long your passport gets you to stay legally in Singapore, mine was 30 days as a tourist and I overlapped it to when school will commence.

But 2 or 3 weeks is more than enough to settle the paperwork. Just make sure your documents are in order and complete. I remember bringing birth certificates, transcripts, diplomas, etc..

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fzd

for the fzd graduates. i was wondering if they give you a short break during the one year program? if so how long is it? thank you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got accepted for the February intake!
    Very happy with this. I chose to go in February to win myself some more time to figure and sort everything out properly.

Was having a question though, Is it possible to get housing there before you even are there? So I know I'm going around 1st of February, since the 20th's is the commencement date.

Is it possible for me to get me a place in Singapore in the late end of January?
    Then that would solve any stay-over problems immediately.

And I'd also like to know some Do's and Dont's in Singapore haha. I've already done some research about Singapore being a fine city. Even getting a fine for chewing bublegum andwhatnot.

Click here for my Daily Sketch Blog!
    -Every art takes practice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats and good luck to u! Maybe you can share with us your WONDERFUL experience at FZD after a few weeks in.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't help sharing a little joke, no pun intended, read at your own discretion!

Small Boy: Daddy Daddy, i want to get in big big studio, go REFERENCE other people's work, make big big portfolio, kiss ass the RIGHT people all the time, can get good good job there is it?

Dad: Yes son! You must learn from the best of the BEST, just like Mr. A!!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nobody is sharing their experience or knowledge about FZD anymore?

Scared of FZ? ROFL!

Oh yeah, since they recently made their students sign some non-disclosure form to prevent them from exposing more about the school's never ending WONDERFUL on-goings in the forums and the likes.

Not surprising at all. This is totally in line with their high censorship. Any comments made on their Facebook, YouTube channel... that's not pleasing to their ears will be deleted straight away. They are ever defensive when others say it like it is. What happened to freedom of speech? IMHO, what's wrong with people speaking the truth? People have the choice to make their own judgement.

Students will realize for themselves after spending some time there. A school that keeps on preaching about Professionalism when they are in fact quite unprofessional at times. Charging a super high premium when they are not able to deliver that projected quality. Over promise and under deliver?

Anyone beg to differ?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now u know how that WONDERFUL place works, heh heh heh. I will share the truth & NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!

That place is run like a small Asian family business where the stingy, money hungry boss thinks he's the greatest. The same goes for his wife who helps run his business.

They call the shots for everything, what they say is always absolutely right. It's Feng, Feng, Feng + wife and nobody else. The other 2 'Art Directors' are kinda like their lackeys who listen to Feng obediently. In fact, though they are instructors there, they are Feng's interns since i guess non-hollywood instructors are not up to Feng's standard.

Feng is very smart to set up shop in Singapore where the government is providing huge funds for the growing art/media/design sector. He saw this opportunity (or loophole?) and made full use of it. And Feng knows how to sell himself very well. He and wife are super glib and sweet talkers to the people that will bring them more money.

Since there's no other Entertainment Design/Concept Art School competitors in Asia, bingo!!!! He can charge a SUPER SUPER high premium. Feng's little business wouldn't survive at all in the North American region with all that competition and greater talents/instructors than himself. And also coz he's stingy, he doesn't wanna pay top dollar for the Hollywood kinda instructors. He's paying minimal wages, charging students super high premiums and pocketing the rest himself.

Isn't it ridiculous that FZD's 6 weeks short course is SGD 2-3k+ when any other short courses in U.S is on average only USD600 and they are 8 weeks or longer? And taught by just as good or better instructors?

The 1 year diploma is a joke. Feng always boasts FZD teaches the same as Art Center and the students only pay a fraction. Yeah right, they pay a fraction and get much less than a fraction. LMFAO! Luck plays a big part on when you decide to enrol. They teach according to their mood and they are always 'fine-tuning' their syllabus, you might get more stuff or lesser, depending on which batch you're in. I think it's safe to say they offer more to the batches with a significant no. of international students. Coz Feng loves the money from the internationals since they pay higher fees. That's Feng's main interest by the way, he has successfully attracted more internationals and once he has more and more of them, he doesn't need the local's fees that much and he won't need to bow down slightly to the Singaporean government agency that's providing all that dough and subsidies to his school.

Last edited by Dumb Dumb; September 26th, 2011 at 11:34 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's pretty messed up that they're deleting that kind of material on their sites/YT. Seems more like a scammy sort of situation than anything else to me -- in the line of the Art Institutes. Good to see some people taking notice of it.

Also Dumby, you could spam a little less -- you should probably just edit your previous posts instead of making 2-3 at a time. Just a thought. Did you actually go to FZD though? Just curious.

And yes, the school should be 1/5 of the cost it is now but that just hearkens back to my thoughts on higher education in general. Way too overpriced across the board.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumb Dumb View Post
    Oh yeah, since they recently made their students sign some non-disclosure form to prevent them from exposing more about the school's never ending WONDERFUL on-goings in the forums and the likes.
    Sounds like there's a dictatorship going on there : /

25. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumb Dumb View Post
    Isn't it ridiculous that FZD's 6 weeks short course is SGD 2-3k+ when any other short courses in U.S is on average only USD600 and they are 8 weeks or longer? And taught by just as good or better instructors?

Yeah I believe you DUMB DUMB. In fact I have a similar experience. I signed up for 2 classes at the art department and to be honest i didnt learned anything. It was a waste of my money AND precious time. When i post my experience with them i get nothing but insults by their blind students or my comments get removed. Dumb Dumb were you a student or what exactly happened? I want to go study there because you know i get to study under Feng and I also want to get out of the country for a while. But I was thinking that going to California and spend a couple of years to study in Red Engine Studios and Concept Design Academy is a better option. plus i would be helping our own economy if i stay. Anyway, if Feng wants to keep people's mouth shut he should have opened his school in China or North Korea. Im still surprised...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really interesting, i always wanted to go to this school, i used to see it as the ultimate entertainment design school, seems like things are not what they look like... am interested to know what other dark secrets and calamities does this school holds... please do tell and share...

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Deadlyhazard, thanks for the reminder. I've edited.

To andres333, the dictatorship is suffocating to some, the brainwashed are in denial.

To saprissa9, FZD's blinded students are like what you have mentioned about your experience exactly. It's better to find out more about that school first if you're not sure if you can take what's going on. If you have lots of money to burn, able to treat it like a 1 year masterclass to refresh and sharpen already good skill sets and not bothered by teaching quality, go to FZD by all means! LOL! On the serious side, price and instructors wise and considering your great location, Red Engine and CAD wins hand down IMHO.

The main reason why Feng set up shop in Singapore is because of the generous funding and subsidies given to him and his school by the Singapore government. S'pore is a fairly conservative Asian country. For instance, the newspaper is self-censored by the journalists and the citizens do not dare to bad mouth the S'pore government openly on the streets because they can be hauled to jail or sued for slander anytime. So i guess S'pore's a little like China and North Korea though it's not that obvious to the rest of the world aside from her neighboring countries.

To rem92, it USED to be the ultimate entertainment design school for all! Or most thought so. Everyone used to be so excited when school started, being big fans of Feng and hoping to learn lotsa cool stuff. 1/4 through, the street smart knew something was wrong. 1/2 through, the naive smelt a rat and woke up. 3/4 through, some of the ex-blinded and worshipers finally woke up. And they all wanna Fuck off from that damn place ASAP! Last day of school, Yay and 1000 x YAY! Finally, after a long wait!!! No need to put up with that irritating bullshit anymore and no more smelly godly fingers pin-pointing here and there!! Needless to say, the remainder are the blinded, the ass-kissers and the top students.

The top students knows all the bullshit but they have to stay neutral (some of them are blinded and big-time ass kissers though) since the staff are all very nice to them. Oh yeah, it's a sure bet that you will have a more fruitful life at FZD if you make sure you are the top 2-3 students or know how to kiss ass very well. They are only nice, attentive and helpful to the top students and at times, to the ass-kissers. The rest are kinda abandoned. Even if their favored students have stuff that obviously looks derivative, they will continue to praise them. Yeah, maybe like what others have said, cannot expect the Art Directors to know every piece of art out there. But it's really obvious at times, so obvious that you can tell from a mile.

Let me quote real life examples about their bias. Some non-favored students got pointed out and accused of copying when it was coincidental and not done for the true intention of copying. What does that say?

Another example, their end of term feedback forms require you to write your names. And Feng got pissed and petty with those who bravely rated him low. He dissed that student quite often. Feng also said he will only acknowledge the good students' feedback, the 'bad' students only know how to complain and the school won't bother with their feedback at all. So why ask ALL the students to feedback in the first place if they only wanna see high ratings and pleasing comments? Get only the students that matters to them to feedback then.

The public are very wowed by the top students' works but they do not know certain things. Before FZD, all of the top students have been to some other art/design college for a few years, some of them have at least a few years work experience as graphic/product/concept designers, architects etc. The way Feng and his school says it in the blogs and Facebook, it's as if those people are total beginners and they can produce such great work after just 3 weeks? 8 weeks? at FZD. Goodness...

And not to mention, they show the 'Before' and 'After' folder to wow people. They used the top student's doodle or rough sketch, labeled it as 'Before' and then used his polished FZD work to show as 'After'. Many kids were taken in by that, i kid you not. And they cried foul later on. LMAO!(U kiddies know who you are!)

Last edited by Dumb Dumb; September 26th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is soooooooooooo wrong if they actually require you to write your names on the feedback forms.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, long thread. sigh.

This thread has been around for more than a year and I think all the good and bad criticism about FZD really helps people. Don't just be wowed by the cool videos and marketing. That's irresponsible. It is an expensive decision. Right now top one among my ridiculously expensive things to throw money at.

Think twice when you read something in the forums. What's being said is hard to grasp in written text. Some information might be due to an emotional reaction to a harsh criticism from instructors , when a something like : "I'm not learning anything after 3 months or a year, don't go to this school, here's a sample of my work before and after". might be enough to inform people. Even if the school censors you from posting work at forums still post it to help others decide. If its a bad school show that they can't teach Not their less than favorable business model.

Then double check from people who go there and assess again. There's like less than 10 of us in this thread I think. PM us (not the school). Most of us have our portfolios out in the open to view.

Let's not make schools the new "must see tutorial" or "brush sets" that we have to quest for because even entering one is a risk. If I could set back the clock for 5 years I would have self studied.

--- read on if you want -- my post seem redundant, if so please inform me.

I personally think any school that offers a course that's only one year has a high chance of disappointing people/students. Its the magic word. One Year and being taught by a guy who designed a movie I watched or a game I played. Because in reality most of us take more than a year to be good at something. Knowing that I still took the risk. Because all I had before was like most students, just the school marketing and being wowed. Think first.

Honestly, I blame the school for accepting mostly anyone. With such a vague assessment of why you got in its high probability that anyone who's not really good will suffer (really suffer) and not improveduring the entire year. Just for the sake of getting a student in. It could have been me, it could have been any of my classmates.

But if the Portfolio review was really tough, Who's to say I'd get the chance to study there and learn what I have?

It is sometimes luck.

@ Dumb Dumb - Do we know each other? PM me if you do.
    I don't know if I'm one of those with disillusionment or ass kissers that was referred since I usually pop up on this thread. I just do my homework while I was there and submit them, I don't know if that's ass kissing. I don't think I pissed anybody, my class was luckily, peaceful. Does having similar artists I like with Instructors count as ass kissing?

Maybe its just me but I don't mind the policies/politics much or what the government does for them financially (which is true).

My portfolio still pales in comparison (it might be shit to some) to my art heroes I just take comfort in the fact that I can learn on my own after school.

regarding this thing about the top student (or ass kissers to some) being favored/rewarded, well true, what look like hard work isn't? which school/instructor wouldn't? Wouldn't you want to be?

I wasn't the best, but I was treated fair, I think even if I think I did better work than a top student or if it looks derived from someones work. Would it help if I complained?

It just leaves us to describe what I think are the worst students doing.

1) Not submitting home works
    2) Being Late.
    3) Not following instructions.
    4) Being absent all the time.
    5) Sleeping during lecture
    6) Not putting effort.

any instructor wouldn't waste time focusing on a student if said student did all 6 I've listed consistently. We're only human, they might mean well but its just bad luck they couldn't hack it in school.

I could recall people who weren't really good at first (not even spectacular by the end) but put the effort in and improved, the instructors treated them fair and unexpectedly they were few of the first to get work in less than a month.

That being said, I don't recommend the school if they have better options (which I didn't).

Case in point, I had my own issues about the school and have talked with people/studios I really admire about theirs but despite all of them I still think I learned something and I draw/paint better now than before I went to FZD.

Which, is the point of me going there.

Keep drawing, keep on improving, guys, peace.
    Wilson

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic post, Wilson. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wilson thank you so much for offering your help and for encouraging other students to share their insights even if they've been prohibited to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsondf View Post
    Let's not make schools the new "must see tutorial" or "brush sets" that we have to quest for because even entering one is a risk. If I could set back the clock for 5 years I would have self studied.
    This part strikes me in a very personal way, since I am no longer able to attend any art school at all...could you please expand a little bit on this? I know this thread is about FZD but still I believe general insights could be vital, or PM me if you think is more appropriate. Thanks in advance

37. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi fluorite!

Huh? Since when are we not allowed to give feedbacks? I believe we were only told not to share what we learn from the directors. I mean, it isn't strange to prevent students from disclosing all the lessons taught, right?

Maybe you can check with your other schoolmates to see if you heard right. I heard from others there were one whole bunch of additional terms and conditions added. They announced it before making people acknowledge and sign the form.

Things like --- No disclosing and no sharing of lessons taught in FZD, no disclosing of matters related to Art Directors, no disclosing of matters related to other Junior Designers, no disclosing of school matters on the forums, no dating and no relationships, no posting and discussing of works online and a whole bunch of non disclosure stuff. I can't remember them all.

They said anyone found disclosing or breaking any of the added terms and conditions can be expelled or sued.

Maybe you can grap a copy of that form and clarify it here. If you look again at my previous post, i said ''the school's never ending WONDERFUL on-goings in the forums and the likes.'' Maybe the way i said it is a little ambiguous but i definitely didn't say its FEEDBACK. Heh heh. I apologize if i caused you any agony or misunderstanding. Please do share those added non disclosure terms with us if you can.

Oh yeah, of course it's understood that it isn't good to share lessons taught. No boss would like that, right?

Btw, i remember now!!!. I think the others were referring to you right? I remember you posted some stuff that might not sound that PLEASING to FZD. You removed your own posts and requested others who have quoted you to removed their posts too right? Were you scared or something? If you were not scared, why did you remove your 'risky' posts? Just curious. Please share!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Wilson,
    Another long thread. Sigh too. I replied in the same order to your previous post. Hope you and anyone else reading can bear with me and feel free to disagree anytime.
    I'll post the same warning for all as you did
    --- read on if you want -- my post seem redundant, if so please inform me.

Agree it's hard to grasp what's being said in written context. As long as people have the conscience to be honest and reflect the truth instead of masking reality. No one is dumb enough to totally believe what one or two forummers (like me and you?) posted at face value. Everything said in the forums are mostly opinions and information sharing. Unless one can bring the person to the scene or show concrete proof and evidence, like taking pics or making voice/videos recording of what went on in reality, it's hard to prove what is being said is really factual. (Pics and recordings are strictly forbidden in FZD btw)

It's definitely good to look at work samples. One way is to look at all the different students work in the blogs and request them to post 'Before' works that were done in the relative same amount of time. Some people are scared and might find it risky or are embarrassed to link their personal blog and works here. Another way is to try making friends with all the grads and current students through other channels. However, work samples are very subjective. You can't really tell the school's teachings from the works at times. The student can choose to spend many hours on it and it will definitely look good and vice versa, one can choose to leave a 5 hours work as it is. It's not fair to say the school teaches well or unwell because of the way a student presents his works imo.
    Same goes for the students showing very amazing stuff. The audience do not know the hours, experience and sometimes (tricks) behind it.

Their business model is in fact a very smart way to make money. good to learn from the shrewd business-minded people. When i mentioned teaching quality, it meant half or more of the class didn't understand what was going or got it wrong at times. They learnt more from their peers instead. Sometimes, the teaching isn't in-depth, structured and clear enough especially for those who don't really get the design thinking. They do teach of course and Feng do share some interesting info at times. All will definitely improve even by a little bit due to the homework and by reading up on own. Someone mentioned before it's all about 'independent learning' and you also said 'school is what you make out of it'. A better way to put it is maybe the teaching there is not suitable, lacking in certain areas or not up to expectations for some. The unpro antics are another story.

Hope more brave souls can share their opinions. Aside from FZD's flawed marketing, I believe Wilson, you also know just as well or better than me about the accused students' copying, the compulsory names on the feedback form and the top students already having some background pre-FZD. I agree these real life examples are subjective too; some people are perfectly fine with writing their names whereas some are not. Some felt it's unfair that the real serial copiers always get praised instead, got away Scot-free and never got pointed out/embarrassed at all. Everyone has their own opinions.

Agree that one year is not enough. Ideally, the school should strictly accept only Master Class student material and conduct proficiency tests. I am sure there will be way more satisfied students and less bad, worst, disgruntled, dissatisfied students this way. However, this will mean much less money earned by FZD.

Wilson, i respect you for just doing homework and submitting them. Casual chatting is perfectly fine too. What i meant by ass-kissers are:
    1) those who pretended to be so nice in front of the Art Directors but say another thing when they're not around.
    2) those who are like little spies who rat on others
    3) those who act like they are all saints and pin-point at others loudly when they are do very questionable things themselves
    4) those who tries to become buddies with the Art Directors for rewards
    5) the most ridiculous kind of all, the rather lazy and half-assed work ass-kissers who managed to bluff their way through acting

Somehow, i noticed those people got more benefits without regards to whether they are hardworking or lazy. I'm not sure if you have noticed all these at all. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Worst Students
    I agree not submitting home work (unless it's due to a genuine reason), being late and absent all the time are things everyone should avoid at all times.

3) Not following instructions. Has it occurred to you that it might be due to the ambiguity of what the Art Directors said at times? People simply didn't get what they said or taught at times.

5) Sleeping during lecture. Feng said those who did great and fantastic homework can sleep and do anything they want in class. Those who did half-assed homework don't deserve to fall asleep at all. What does this say? The message i get is the good can do anything they want, sleep, date openly, and do their own stuff while Feng is showing his demo. I'm sure you experienced it yourself, sometimes you stay up the whole night but the work just doesn't look that great. The not so good students spent the same amount of time or more as the top students slogging through the previous night but they fell asleep during lecture coz they are humans after all. It can't be helped if others didn’t appreciate the effort. I guess the not so good students should have been more mindful and went the extra mile to stay awake even though they were so exhausted.

6) Not putting effort. This is very subjective at times. For example, the top student spent only 5 hrs and it looks fantastic, like 15 hours. The cheating student spent 3 hrs and it looks quite good. The not good students spent 8 hrs but it looks like 1 hour's work because it doesn't look good or fantastic, it's deemed no effort straight away. Sometimes, people simply couldn't grasp what was taught. Maybe also because they didn't, chose not to or don't know how to use smart tactics like some other students. Sometimes, a so so, quite derivative or unreadable designed piece of work gets praised when it's obviously rushed or not designed well with effort and thought. The Art Directors' critique helps when they are really being honest, constructive and fair to all with their feedback. However, that isn't always the case.

It's really a some can do and some cannot do in the world of FZD. I won't elaborate further. The truly hardworking, non-cheating and non ass-kissing students definitely deserve to be treated well and fairly by all. Aside from the usual dissatisfied bad students. Hardworking, non-ass kissing good students also feel pissed and cheated. Simply put, not all are blinded and oblivious. One wouldn't expect to get monkeys when they didn't pay peanuts.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. Those few you were talking about who got jobs first were not concept design related jobs. More like graphic design and going back to their previous company. Frankly speaking, if one is not fussy at all, there are lots of small companies around and it's easier to land a graphic design or small co. gig quite fast. The wait is definitely longer for those who wanna pursue a concept design position or a medium sized company. It will take some time unless you are the top few students or are very lucky.

Everyone can definitely draw and paint better after constant practice for 1 year. Everything needs practice and anyone will definitely get better and faster at something after doing it repetitively, cooking or sports. I agree schools are better environments for pushing oneself.

With all that said, FZD like any other school, is a very good place if your priorities are the physical environment and discipline. A place to use and having the discipline to do homework every day, having some competition and motivation by having peers around you. Of course, one has to shut out everything else and not bother at all even if you feel down, cheated and disappointed by the policies/politics/unsuitable teaching/unprofessional antics there. Don't ever think about or feel the pinch of not getting your money's worth even with all that money paid. It will be easier for those who didn't sell their kidneys to study there. ROFL! Bad joke! My bad!

Three cheers to all who have taken the risk to trust FZD in the first place. The risk, hard work and pinch won't be felt if the fees were 1/5 of the current fees. Good life lesson learnt for all.

Thanks Wilson, for being brave enough to share. Hope all out there can help others who are deciding by sharing their experience. For those who are scared/embarrassed to share their before and after works here, please do share your truthful insights be it positive or negative. No school is 100% good or 100% bad. I think most would appreciate real and unblinded feedback, described as it really is. I think there will be past and present FZD students looking at this thread from time to time, there's really no point and incentive for anyone to fabricate something or anything just to discredit the school for their own personal vengeance, others would know it's a lie anyway. Someone told me it's good to give honest feedback even if it's too late or doesn't benefit me at all, it's good karma to help others be more aware. I sincerely apologize if i offended anyone.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumb Dumb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Dumb Dumb - we're good, I see all your points. What you said makes sense and not quite as rude sounding as the first few ones.

I"m still feeling the pinch of the tuition btw. But the price and time was bearable than going to Art Center.

Your not wrong, one of the few that got jobs got into non concept art work. The other I think manage to switch fields (which I think means sucess) after school.

I forgot to add that its true, If you submit good work and look like hell they will let you sleep. I feel sorry everytime I see students who kill themselves on homework, then it looks crap and they get some lashing. On an extreme case that's might be what real world bosses see things.

It's really a some can do and some cannot do in the world of FZD - TRUE AND PROVEN Whenever I see students that really tries hard and gets nowhere. I'm wishing a Time Machine exists and they'd take up a longer illustration/design course in a university with a pace they can keep up.

You might not know how you'll fare unless your there. This part no amount of answering in the forums will solve I regret because its unpredictable.

unpredictable and you have to do your best once your there. (I already paid).

regarding that sometimes the lessons are not grasped good enough or understood as well as the instructions for lessons not clear enough.

Here's something I shared with my friends there I think, after about around 2 months or so in the program:

"I didn't think this school requires too much smarts/brains to be bearable alongside having the skills." meaning real world work mentality. Not people who give a blank stare after the boss has just given orders.

Come to think of it, I think most of us who did fairly well already have a few years of job experience on our belts (most of the older ones and Internationals.) Where we experienced this "self learning" thing and "figuring things on our own." part that is required mostly at FZD. Real working experience from our bosses.

I've had nightmare/difficult bosses so any harsh critic/comments I get from FZD was nothing compared to the daily tortures I had at my previous work. What I heard from the instructors came off more as "Corrections" than the quality insults I got at work.

Those younger or inexperience might find difficulty grasping this method of teaching. And the young and inexperienced are usually the easily attracted to schools. Like I've stated, their only human, and they might fall unintentionally on those "worst students" list that I've enumerated. That's ok, what I sometimes have a problem is when these students keep focusing the entire year on how hard a time their having than practicing.

The best situation is group these classes by skill level/experience not like Train car that's once full voila you have an Uneven batch. Works both ways too, mixing those good with the learning might be beneficial too.

Again, Un-predictable.

For the best results, I'm almost partial on saying that the school might be better suited for professionals/semi-professionals and those who are willing to sacrifice the 1 year time.
    Meaning not prioritizing your relationships, hobbies, etc. You. Might. Find. It. Hard. To. Have. Fun. And once that's gone its easy to fall apart. It better if your work is your fun. And they give tons.

But I wouldn't want to close the doors on the dreams of those non-professionals. Who knows if going to FZD might just level them up within a year?

Man, this might confuse those inquiring if the school is bad or not. Too some students it might be bad, to some it be good. That's my answer.

Now to drink beer later.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just got back from my final day in fzd the other day. i was really looking forward to the much needed rest, before i stumbled upon the latest posts of this thread and decided that perhaps i should speak up a little.

people with varied opinions can go back and forth all day regarding something like this and spectators would be treated to a tennis match of words that are served and phrased concisely to land their point.

however, what completely baffles me is the time and effort someone would take to theorize, speculate, research, compile and compose such a report. from the inner workings of the company/school, family ties, working relationships, location strategy, government policies, market competition, course pricing comparison, course length, marketing strategy, individual students' mindsets sorted by ranking, their strategies and even their educational background, the definition of ass-kissing and all 5 of its different subclasses, the school's business model, gauging the effort put in by different groups of students and the manhours spent on their pieces, their job placements after school and even the intricacies and characteristics of feng himself..

..when all you should be doing as a student, is to draw, especially more so if you're struggling.

in any case, wherever you are, whatever you do, these things happen. you can question why that plate of spaghetti carbonara costs so much or why your country's leader imposes insane taxes, but at the end of the day you continue to either enjoy that plate, or make the best of everything.

it has and will always be your choice.

p.s: dumb dumb, i somehow have this feeling that i know you personally. if so, perhaps i shall say hi when we meet.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to freakyfir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello everybody,
    i'm a student here in FZD, just finished term 1 and now (finally) on term break.. so i have some time to write something.
    this thread is super huge so i cannot comment on everything, but i'm gonna say and share stuff/opinions that i think can be useful for who's following it.

ppl ask for before/after FZD works (i'm gonna introduce 'during').
    regarding my background (coz many ppl ask about it), i self-taught for drawing since i was 10 (now i'm 23).
    then i went to a product design school for 3 years, but too bad they never teach us drawing stuff such as perspective, painting, drawthrough ecc...they only focus on 3d modeling (i hated it)... but i must say the technical stuff is very useful for what i'm doing now (blueprints, how to make stuff work, conceptualizing ecc..) then i worked in that industry for a while, but i didn't like it because the market and technologies kill your imagination and ideas...
    so less than 2 years ago i've heard about this concept design thing.. so i decided it was worth a shot. my friends bought me a bamboo so i started watching tutorials on youtube to learn something about it.

on this blog u can see my stuff before/after coming FZD (there is a post named 'FZD' so all that comes after that was done during school)
    http://andreasusini.blogspot.com/ (i asked Feng if we can post our stuff online, he said it was ok)
    important to say is that most of the paintings before fzd took 2-3 days, the new ones 2-8 hours... speed is one thing we're learning and seems to be very important for this industry.

---

i must say this school is really helping me, work is freaking hard but definitively worth it!!!
    whatever are your skills you will end school with 10 times better skill, or even more (of course, only if u sacrifice your life for 1 year)

this teaching method works really well imo, it's similar to art center's program, and i can feel the importance of each assignment, and figured out just recently why they asked us to do such things.
    as u know, it's a super-concentrated training, so u need to be really strong mentally and especially physically. prepare yourselves not to sleep, it's scary but true. one of us already give up..only term 1
    this is normal.
    the job is not just 'drawing'.. it's 'thinking, drawing A LOT, and getting your stuff rejected..so also redo-ing' so definitively not for anybody.

i also dislike the fact they focus more on those doing well. BUT (i can tell) they really LOVE who's super-hard working, even if their final results aren't still so good. So anyone can try, remember that your ideas are much more important than your drawing skills..everyone can learn how to draw..

---

regarding some of the things i read on this thread, i may agree.. but nobody asked those ppl to come here, FZD gives u the chance to try, but don't blame the school if u fail. just try your best, like i'm doing!!!

for example, the marketing thing.. i've never seen a school that shows crappy works (if u find one, show me). it's obvious they will only show best works, and even obvious that these works will be done by the same ppl (every batch got 2-5 of these guys)

i hope what i said may be helpful, i wanna say much more but so far i think i've wrote enough..
    sorry for my english that's not so good. hope everything is clear. i will be following this thread for this week, then i'll take 1 week break to thailand, then starting term 2 i'm not sure i'll got the time

cheers everybody!!!
    Andrea

Last edited by 5u51n1; May 20th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to 5u51n1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, @ Dumb Dumb.. you're so good at talking, throwing shit on FZD, and the LOL thing is that u dare talking about bravery. Do you have ENOUGH BALLS to say who the hell u are? sorry for this, but i can't accept it. i'm italian, and we generally shoot people in the face, not from behind..
    (if u want u can just pm me, but would be better if u show your face in public)
    Drop the internet tough guy attitude, threatening someone really isn't cool.

Anyway one thing that worries me is how much people talk about losing sleep over assignments like it's a good thing, I would expect in an art school to be doing that for assignments every now and then but this sounds like it's a daily thing, not healthy and if the school is pretty much forcing/encouraging you to do that I think it's a bit dodgy.

And signing a contract for a bunch of stuff including school work and what you learn in class, seriously? Artists are meant to share their work and knowledge, not keep it all a secret so you're the only one who succeeds.

Also I was going to blow off everything Dumb Dumb had said until freakyfir and 5u51n1 both came in with their very whiteknight-like posts. I still don't believe all of it because some seems a bit like tinfoil hat theories but yeah.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon_Dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Gunnersquad

i wouldn't define it really threatening, i just hate it when someone starts criticizing others but makes sure he doesn't risk anything (in this case, it's about identity).. because from all he knows about fzd, really seems this person is very close to the school.
    anyway, i didn't mean to be that rude, i apologize for this

regarding the sleeping thing, i'm not sure anyone can be proud of it.. the fact is that ppl sacrifice sleep in order to catch up the best students (we have some kind of friendly competition in class).
    and some assignments are quite hard, but it's up to each student how good he wants to do it, and most of the time it needs a lot of time to do very well... but for example a guy in my class is one of the best and sleeps 8 hours every day. so other solution is to become very fast and never distract while working..

regarding the sharing thing, i agree with you, that's why i'm sharing my work here. i remember i signed that thing, but also i asked Feng if i could put my stuff online, so i think i'm not violating any rule.
    for the techniques and stuff we learn, i think they don't want us to share the fundamentals, so otherwise why going to school? everybody could learn from internet..
    a part from fundamentals (perspective, drawthrough, painting basics) i think it's fair to share things like the thinking process, inspirations (manmade or nature) or whatever someone may ask.. let's say all those personal things that a school cannot teach you..

51. The Following User Says Thank You to 5u51n1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

I am a graduate from FZD School (Wilson’s Batch) and I am here to share a little on the experience I had while in school. Hopefully it will help anyone that’s deciding on enrolling into FZD.

As for my background, I was majoring in science in a local polytechnic before entering FZD which also means I had no proper art education. However, since I wanted to be a concept designer, I started learning on human anatomy and basic perspective before enrolling into the school hopefully gaining a head start (I found out after first week of school I am probably one of the few without any form of art education. Haha).

School was really tough! I hardly get to sleep because of the amount of work I was assigned everyday and on top of that I got a lot to catch up! The school has structured the assignments so that we can progressively improve as individual but not really as a class. So somewhere in the middle of the course, there was this huge gap of good students getting better and the rest are just struggling to catch up. It can be very demoralizing and I admit I was quite burnt by the end of term 2.

So the start of term 3 I thought this is gonna be my last leg and I have to finish strong. With the help of all the art directors and encouragement from my wonderful classmates (Sloan, Daniel, Jan, Wilson, Sunno, Celeste) I was able to see myself improving a lot more than term 2. I guess its the mileage meter Feng talks about a lot. You gotta draw and paint a lot and a lot and then a lot more to improve. So in the end I graduated and till now I believe all is worth it.

I got myself a concept design job on the day of my graduation show. Though my portfolio is not as fantastic as a lot of my classmates but I am pretty damn proud of what I have achieved within this short one year. And I have the school to thank for that.

http://geometrickoncept.com/ <-- my portfolio website.

So for those who are deciding if FZD is your choice, I would say if you have the money and time, I say go for it. But please be mentally prepared. Its gonna be tough both physically and mentally. Its gonna worn you out for that one year but if you put in all the hard work, go in with a open mind to learn, and always have the never give up attitude I am sure you will gain something out of it.

Ricky

53. The Following User Says Thank You to 3eyedmonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ricky - you did damn well for yourself after that 1 year

Let's drink sometime. I miss the class.

And with that, anyway, I think its ok to pass this thread on to the next batch but feel free to PM me for any questions, comments.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What the heck ricky that's a good portfolio if you ask me. for someone with not a lot of art background that is pretty good. That is one of the things I was interested in FZD. The process in which they take you through. I was deciding to go to concept design academy or FZD. FZD takes students through a process. Which is good for me im a beginner. Concept Design Academy does not. CDA pretty much expects you to know some stuff before you take their classes. Like I said that was the only thing I was interested in FZD. The process they make you go through.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 305