Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @teddybear123 - course materials "might" mean the original licensed Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, Wacom Tablets, Laptop, Antivirus program etc that you get to keep after the course is over.

I tried lowering the fee by asking if I could use a personal laptop, but they want everyone to have the same equipment. There is no escaping this. The Wacom tablet could be subtracted if you have a model the school will approve.

I hope that helps, email the school for more info.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Wilson!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teddybear123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portfolio Wilson, what a massive upgrade from last year's work you had posted on your profile. It's good to see the school is doing well for the students .

BLAHBLAHBLAH

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Deadlyhazard - thanks, I'm not at the level I want my work to be, but its enough to get some paid freelance concept work for now.

@Rabbi Glad your surviving, yeah the beginning was really fun for term 1, which is fundamentals. Yeah straight line excercise, brings back memories.

Quite true what you say about the books. The best guys in my class who dominated never had that much books of "Art of" to begin with. We were discussing it after graduation that the more art of books you have the less you know. Get the reference books first but don't pile them like crazy.

I applied for a member at the nearby National Library along Bras Basah road. Their libraries are quite updated even have those Design Studio Press books and a good source of reference.

Term 1, I invested on a scanner (which you will be needing at home as homeworks get crazy)

I don't think there's a problem with you upgrading to Painter 12 or use any software. They don't check that.

I dropped by school on Wednesday and Thursday and looked in your class for a bit. Feng might've been late because he was talking to us, or just waiting for the entire class to be complete.

Focus on learning, some students even after a year cannot paint and cannot see perspective properly or are just so slow. The more time you spend grinding the fundamentals in your brain the faster you can work on the following terms.

Your improvement depends on how much hard work you put in. Lazy students will get lazier when they realize there's no "magic formula" besides hard work to learn and get better.

Stay open to criticism because the instructor gets meaner after awhile to thicken your skins. Don't go to rage mode (like fight with the instructors) and destroy your reputation early.

Good Luck and Stay Healthy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, Im going to attend FZDS as well,

Will be filling out a registration form for it this week, hoping I'll get accepted haha.

Eitherway, I'm a bit nervous for the whole process that is going to be taken place in the last 2 weeks, as I read on FZDS website about obtaining the studentpass, accomodation, opening a new bank account, etc etc. How 'easily' or 'smooth' will this happen if you really enter singapore 2 weeks before time? (Really planning to do this). Because Rabbi Satan's story looks pretty damn stressfull haha. Doesn't matter tho, if that is what it takes, Ill deffo be in for it haha.

Also, does FZDS atleast help you getting accomodation, or do you really need to do everything yourself? Supposing you'd have to go to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority located somewhere in singapore haha?

Was also wondering one last thing, after you've filled in the registration form and sent your portfolio, about what time will you be called? Since there is some time-difference, about 6 hours difference, with my country and singapore. (I live in The Netherlands).
    Wouldn't mind to be called in the middle of the night, but I'd be concerned if I can do a good interview if im just awake for 1 second haha.

EDIT: Forgot to ask one thing haha. How about obtaining the course materials (Laptop, Wacom tablet, etc)? Will you get them at the school, need to pick them up yourself somewhere.. ? how is that being taken care for.

Cheerss!!

Going to fill in the form this week after my passports gets extended ;D

Last edited by Hav0cc; June 27th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Click here for my Daily Sketch Blog!
    -Every art takes practice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, All you guys really helped with my decision to attend this school! Thanks alot for the feedback!

Ive got accepted already...Now have to go ahead with the visa and stuff...I was planning on the june batch but it got kinda delayed...hopefully October.

@havoc : I dont think it should be a problem...2 weeks advance should be more than enough for all the priorities.

FZD does not help you with accommodation...you could search the web for hostels in Singapore or you could hook up with an agent who could help you find an apartment.

Haha..you could stay awake for one night man ...I dont think its a big deal..they called me at 3pm singapore time.

Yeah..all the course materials would be provided in the school itself.

Hope im right with all this..If not maybe the guys who've already attended correct me

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShehZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck Feels really strange to sleep again!

best of luck to the new FZD meat!

on the prowl for work

15. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sehz! Feels good to know haha.

cant fill in the registration form this week! I didn't realize that extending my passport would take a week to do by the government... Sucks alot, so Im hoping to be able to next week.

Also, will they call you for the interview the same day you've filled in and sent the registration form and portfolio?

Edit: Also found an aplication form on the FZD website, which is confusing me a bit, do you need to filll in the registrationm form online, send your portfolio AND fill in the application form and send it? (also, email or regular mail? ) or just the online registration and a portfolio?

Cheers!

Last edited by Hav0cc; June 30th, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have to do it a number of times (I think twice, all the homework made my memory muddy), the paperwork I mean. They sent me some forms I have to fill up once I've been accepted then I have to drop it off to school when I came to Singapore 2 weeks earlier. Since Singapore is just 3 hours away from my country. For the students coming in half a world away I think you'll be sending some official paperwork online or via post mail. Email the school, they reply quite promptly.

Have some money prepared for the Security Bond and Health Insurance.

Got a freelance work after a week but still looking for in house job

while job hunting studying 3D modelling because its becoming a standard that if you want to do 2d designs it helps to know 3d programs too.

Like Phatz said goodluck for the new freshmeat, schools getting harder and harder per batch. Avoid the fucking students who whine about it "schools too hard!" Their tuition are doomed.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks wilson! Ill send the school an Email.

Man, students over there whine about it being too hard? Im actually getting stoked when thinking of how hard work it will be. (with the impression I get from you guys) And I mean that in a good way. So excited for it all! ;D IF I get accepted ofcourse..

Yeah, I also notice in my own work that the knowledge of 3D software helps me in drawing and vice versa (I do 3D next to drawing as well, for fun haha). it started to also make me think with "what is possible and what not" , but not only for terms of believabilty in a design, but also how would it move, would it be possible? etc, for you know, animators and such.

Btw wilson, I followed your blog haha, I have a blog as well haha.

Eitherway, Ill let you guys here if I'm in or not and in which class and stuff haha.

Cheers!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, Filled in a registration form and sent in a portfolio yesterday.

and lets see what happens next ;D So stoked up right now!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feel free to follow regarding your application. I had to keep regularly checking if I got in since I had to plan out how to spend my time while waiting for the results.

took 9 months before I started since they had to apply for a license to accept International Students.

Advance Congratulations, say hi to whoever is interviewing you from us

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks haha, I'll say hi from you guys when the time for an interview has come haha.

Already got the mail from FZDS asking me for some documents (passport stuff, English proficiency test results and whatnot. )

I still have to do the English proficiency test tho.. Sad thing is I cant take it until the 20th of august so I'll have to wait a bit before I can mail it all back. (I'm doing a TOEFL iBT, however all the earliest test dates in The Netherlands are at the 20th of august.)
    I replied asking if there is an alternative for proving my English besides with a proficiency test, that way I could send everything a lot lot sooner.

Cheers!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's weird, I didn't do any English proficiency test. I just gave them a copy of my diploma and college grades.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wellp, it looks like I'll be aiming to join this school in the feb intake. I'm not sure my portfolio will cut it, but I have this much time to prepare

To be honest I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted before I read this thread and the posts from those of you that actually went there. Call me a mazochist, but what made me make up my mind is the apparently excruciating workload. I'll probably eat those words in the future, but right now, I'm really excited!

By the way if anyone has time to check, this is the portfolio I have right now. I'll probably work completely new pieces before submitting them as february draws closer, but if you could give me a general idea of wether something like this is more or less what you saw there as entry portfolios or not, I'd be extremely grateful.

http://www.chaoslevel.com/portfolio/

Woo!

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Wilson

Might be because English isn't my first English, Dutch is. Meaning I'll have to do a TOEFL so they can see how good my English is. Either way, FZDS replied its just a supporting document. The Portfolio and interview counts most, so I hope that will cut it. (Still going to do the TOEFL test, they know it will come later.) Right now Im waiting for my Birth-Certificate to arrive from my local Authority so I can scan in all documents and mail it back to them!

@Vak: Haha I know EXACTLY what you mean by the workload thing. One of the things that got me in making the decision as well haha. Excited to stay up nights and nights and all do the work. and as you said, I'm probably going to my words too. Pretty funny we got the same minds about that matter ;D

Your Portfolio looks pretty good, Better than mine I think.
    http://hav0cc.daportfolio.com/

Cheers!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, a small question just popped into my head.

When applying for FZDS, and geting accepted. you need to have a Student Pass to enter Singapore and whatnot, what about visa?

or is your student pass your visa? not too sure since I cant really find that on the website itself.

Cheers

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been there for the professional certificate course. They have a good way to teach you guys (in case any of you want to take the course). The lecturer will choke you with a mouthful of knowledge and you can still add it by asking question to the lecturer.
    I got a whole lot of information in just 6 times attending there.

The downside is the lecturer wasn't too strict when you're doing the course, they'll just teach and give you info, if you didn't want to listen to them or didn't want to do the homework, they won't punish you. It's take it or leave it.

I'm planning to go there for a full diploma next year. Right now I studies at NAFA (Illustration Major), it's really near FZD School (some of you might know). Am still polishing my techniques, skills, and understanding in industrial design.

Wish me luck!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to draktvin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I finally take the time to add something to this thread as well. I've attended the one-year diploma together with phats and wilson.

It's good to see that there is a lot of interest from overseas for the school (as I am myself from Germany). However I don't really understand people who want to join because of the super hard work you have to put in. You will definitely regret saying that in your second week there.

Just as a note: I saw and see still people who are a bit upset with the school, mainly because they set their expectations wrong. This school is 100% about design, not about learning to draw or paint (that is secondary). But I think phats and wilson already emphasized that. Anyway, good luck for those who wish to attend and/or are already enrolled.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cynocephalus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cynocephalus View Post
    I thought I finally take the time to add

Just as a note: I saw and see still people who are a bit upset with the school, mainly because they set their expectations wrong. This school is 100% about design, not about learning to draw or paint (that is secondary). But I think phats and wilson already emphasized that. Anyway, good luck for those who wish to attend and/or are already enrolled.
    I'm in the enrolment process right now : ]

I expected it a 100% Design indeed, but I also thought you will learn a lot of the drawing and painting there? Was watching one of Feng's design cinema's (can't remember which in it was, so many)
    where he explained to attend to the school you don't need to be able to draw or paint very good, and that he will mostly will try to see if you are a potential designer or or not with the interview and portfolio, because you will learn the drawing and painting stuff over there at FZDS (at least, that's the way I understood it.)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course you will learn some of that as well, but as I said it is secondary to design. If Feng and the Art Directors think that your design is not good enough they will take a few steps back and tell you to focus on design instead of painting. Too many people just want to learn painting in the school and are disappointed if all they learn in the first half is designing "boring" things (i.e. real world products) with pen on paper.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cynocephalus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaah, now I see. Yeah, this is something I've expected, but that also has to do with getting your fundamentals down. right?

Thanks man

I've made the payment to FZDS (for the application fee), however it appeared my Diploma had to be in English, and my local authority didn't give me an international copy of my Birth-certificate even though I've asked for that. This gives some nice delay.... The diploma is getting translated now by a Sworn Translator and can pick it up Monday, and my birth Certificate has been sent back to the local authority, and will only receive the proper one in 5 days! So probably have to wait 'till next week...

Eitherway, I hope I can get an interview next week.

Cheers.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Didn't get the interview this week haha.

But I finally have one at least, I' having it next week on Wednesday!

So excited. I'll say hi from Willson and whatnot :]

Cheers!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Hav0cc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some people are kinda misled by FZD's marketing & hype. You have to talk to many different students to get different viewpoints to know how the school really is & how things work there. Some ppl might be disappointed to learn the truth after entering that school because the experience is not as expected & the money might be more well-spent elsewhere.

The fees are astronomical especially for international students. One might be betta off with better & cheaper options in the US or other parts of the world. It's best to do more research on all the similar courses offered by the different schools & academies. It might be better to take a few short courses at some schools with world class instructors in LA & the prices there are cheaper comparatively. It's how you perceive value. Compare first & make wise choices!

You don't have to listen to peremptory stuff like:
    'U chose to come here yourself, nobody forced you'
    'I only care about the top students who can help to market the school'
    'this school is very judgmental'
    'I won't do demos/draw or paint over student's stuff if it's not gonna benefit me or my portfolio'

You don't have to live up to other ppl's expectations & buy their empty talk due to their lack of dedication in teaching.

Do they really teach as much & as well as described?
    Do they teach in an understandable manner that works for all the students rather than a 'free-style' approach? Teaching what they like as & when, leaving out certain key points/topics as a result of the inconsistencies
    Do they really help the students? (Or are they even interested to do so in the first place since it's a waste of their precious time?)

Pls find out if a school is really doing some guinea-pig testing style. What good is a school if it benefits mostly the tyrants' pockets & not the individual student?

Put the initial excitement aside, calm down & do not hastily sign up thinking it's a magic cure or miracle. Besides willing to lose lotsa sleep & wanting to work very hard, do compare, do lots of research, make friends with past & present students of the school, ask them for honest answers & make sure it will benefit you eventually & not waste your time listening to the school's 'mightier than thou' talk. Make a wise decision!

Last edited by mike88; July 28th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There don't seem to be much originality in some of the student's works. People have noticed that from their first batch of students. Everything looks kind of familiar, you can almost tell where it is 'referenced' from.

Was looking at a 'top' student's website and I immediately recognized some works. I've picked a few of that student's works which are more obvious, can you spot the difference?

The original content are from students of a well-known school doing an alien race project, a sci-fi movie that has a vertical city and an adventure game that has a lot of ancient ruins environments.

Are the students there allowed to 'reference' others' works so closely for their portfolios and call it their own? Do they actually apply for jobs using these heavily 'referenced' works? I am totally baffled and amazed at the same time.

It would be so much faster to build up a massive portfolio using these short-cut methods as opposed to designing everything from scratch and staying true to be original.

It seems like FZD turns a blind eye to such blatant cheap imitations just because they love their top performing students who can market and sell the school for them.

Name:  SpotTheDiff.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  195.7 KB

Last edited by Conradz; July 30th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Conradz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a beginner

Yeah, i am a complete beginner and i wanna go there. yeah i know its not such a good idea for me to go there. they will probably reject me and for a good reason (i started drawing 3 years ago). i know the school is all about design. well duh! not to be mean to anyone but the name of the school is feng zhu school of DESIGN. if people got out of there mad its their own darn fault. i wanna go there so i can learn how to properly design characters and enviros. but first things first. i gotta get that traditional drawing education first.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I were in the US (and had the money) , honestly I'd have more options to look at. But no.

I didn't reference any art of books while I was there for my assignments but I do look at some but not for design (its embarrassing when you copy) influence or inspiration (that's the easy way) its mostly aiming for a finish level.

And yes, the marketing side I'm not that keen into. I would have rather see the school give more information than flashy student work its like: "If you go here, you can do this!!" Younger students tend to bite at this without a thought that "every person is different."

But as far as SUBJECT MATTER, I say yes, they are quite close to what some "Art Of" books has and has a high risk of being compared to but never copied from. Anyone who has scoured and know concept artists might find something to compare to.

IMHO Any work from FZD is the responsibility of the students producing them. If its too referenced from existing material and we end up ruining our credibility, If it looks like we didn't learn anything then its the student's own fault. The range of quality of works is wide, some students must've learned something, right?

But if I see people tracing over existing perspective shots and submitting it as an assignment I have gone mad with rage because I didn't get any sleep while they did it cheating

Like I've read before

"School is what you make of it."

There really is no magic formula, some student's never improved at all throughout one year when they still think "I thought this was going to be easy, they had me fooled". 1 year is not enough for some. I heard stories of some students go ballistic, their usually the ones who are having a hard time and they should get over it before its too late.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @fluorite How do you explain why your fellow schoolmate's stuff looks so similar to existing works done by other people? The creature, spaceship and the building shown above are just a few to name. That person has quite a number of suspicious and familiar looking stuff if you go look at the website.

@Wilsondf So are you saying they are quite close to some "Art Of" books but never copied from? They are all coincidences? I agree it might be a coincidence if it happens once or twice in a while but not when it happens quite often and quite a number of works are that close. Furthermore, those were not done for self-practice, they were put in a portfolio which i assume is for finding a job.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Conradz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Conradz - like I've said its the students own responsibility if other see it as too close on what has been done before. If they got a job or got rejected that's up to the employers ultimately. And I can't do anything about it. Even the art directors cannot memorize every piece of concept art out there.

End of the day, everyone is just better off honing their own skills and improving the work they produce. I have seen other students work that's so close to other stuff from a mile away. That's their decision. I don't want to waste time pointing out to the lecturer's that someone is cheating.

IMHO I'm glad you brought this subject up, now people will have more to think about before signing up and committing. Before I started class, there was no thread about the school at all.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new fzd students

For The new batch of students, could you please post some of your work. I would like to see your improvement. I know you are going to be VERY BUSY. but once in a while come here and tell us about your work.

61. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 303