Thanks

fzd

thank you wilson for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @sparissa9

Start practicing those vehicles and hard edge stuff already! Being illustration/animation trained makes it harder for me in the sense that I tend to stylise things a lot and I don't draw detail very well.

Though I AM working my way around it and am looking forward to being able to draw believable mech stuff soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlingdragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Talking

Yeah .. we don't draw weapons.. you don't draw weapons at FZD .. unless it in a sketch book
    and the school has asked us not to post our work until were done. this is asia and a lot of rips happen.. none the less some students still post works.. why i have no clue...

If your thinking of taking the night class .. yah i think that s a good idea .. you just learn all the JAZZ and not really the technical we learn .. thats kinda up to you .. def lighten up the load.

if your on meds or suffering from what ever .. gotta get over it Fast .. 1st month i was having panic attacks so much .. i thought it was fucking hart burn .. cus i never had them before.. when my work would crash at 8 am and its due at 10 am .. i Still pulled through .. But fuck me .. how do you tell feng your work is corrupted.. you don't .. you back the fuck up all the time ..

If your noob .. i recommend you log off fb .. msn .. all that bull shit and go to the library and draw from book and life non stop .. nothing feels worse then looking over your shoulder and your classmate is drawing some well though out design with flawless perspective and super tight line work.. and your drawing looks like a can of minced assholes .. get your confidence up in your abilities .. Can't stress this enough it's a design school .. your studying hybrid industrial design. getting better at drawing is really on the students own time.. they give you the know how.. up to you to apply it to your current level.. adapt or slide

school will post a video soon answering some international questions .. stay posted for that ..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phats View Post
    Yeah .. we don't draw weapons.. you don't draw weapons at FZD .. unless it in a sketch book
    and the school has asked us not to post our work until were done. this is asia and a lot of rips happen.. none the less some students still post works.. why i have no clue...

If your thinking of taking the night class .. yah i think that s a good idea .. you just learn all the JAZZ and not really the technical we learn .. thats kinda up to you .. def lighten up the load.

if your on meds or suffering from what ever .. gotta get over it Fast .. 1st month i was having panic attacks so much .. i thought it was fucking hart burn .. cus i never had them before.. when my work would crash at 8 am and its due at 10 am .. i Still pulled through .. But fuck me .. how do you tell feng your work is corrupted.. you don't .. you back the fuck up all the time ..

If your noob .. i recommend you log off fb .. msn .. all that bull shit and go to the library and draw from book and life non stop .. nothing feels worse then looking over your shoulder and your classmate is drawing some well though out design with flawless perspective and super tight line work.. and your drawing looks like a can of minced assholes .. get your confidence up in your abilities .. Can't stress this enough it's a design school .. your studying hybrid industrial design. getting better at drawing is really on the students own time.. they give you the know how.. up to you to apply it to your current level.. adapt or slide

school will post a video soon answering some international questions .. stay posted for that ..
    O'rly?

Anyone have links of student portfolios (pre-FZD AND were accepted)? I want to measure up where I need to get my skill level in a year.

And what do you mean you need to draw on your own time? Don't you draw/paint at the school while learning from the teachers?

And uhh....how many hours of sleep do you get a day exactly? Like, considering if you manage your time perfectly? Like Wilson gave an example earlier in the thread, sleeping at 6AM and waking up at 10AM for school....is that just bad time management or is it seriously that intense?

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; November 29th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    O'rly?

Anyone have links of student portfolios (pre-FZD AND were accepted)? I want to measure up where I need to get my skill level in a year.
    Here is my portfolio that I've just submitted. I was originally planning to go in October last year (Of which this was the portfolio I used), but they had issues with certificates/licenses/stuff for bringing in internationals, so I've had to wait.

And what do you mean you need to draw on your own time? Don't you draw/paint at the school while learning from the teachers?
    I'd actually like to know this as well. But from what I've gathered from emails, the internet, etc - The instructors give lectures in the morning, and then students do the work for the rest of the day (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong). The school "closes" at 5pm officially, but they let students stay until 10pm (This is what I've gathered from emails with Ms. Jungying).

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Deadlyhazard and @ Rabi

I don't think student portfolios pre-FZD are available anywhere unless they give it to you themselves. I've posted my Deviantart gallery earlier so I guess that was my level before FZD.

As for working time for schoolwork - it really depends, but mostly on Design Subjects, here's the deal. There's 18 of you in class submitting pages homework each week and getting critiqued, the critiques aren't one on one. Sometimes you have to present (and defend) your work in front of the class. The reason is to get you used to presentations. Sometimes your not allowed to work on your homework while your classmates are presenting (its just rude). To get through those 18 people eats up a chunk of time plus Art Directors lectures (which you might be able to work on your stuff but you might miss out on the lesson) at the most extreme lectures plus presentations end after lunch or 4pm at the most, but that's for Design subjects. That's why we stay beyond the 5PM up to the 10PM limit. The real basis IMHO is - the population of your class. Previous batch's had only 10 or less students mine's the biggest 18!

But I've seen time management solve this a lot (which you should really have). As for me staying up until 6AM and being in school at 10AM its either, I mismanaged my time or I'm trying to submit my work on a higher finish level. The school is meant to be intense for a reason.

Hope that helps

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also.. a lot of us internationals even when we got accepted waited for a year before starting in FZD...

If I could turn back time I would've taken a few drawing classes, anything that forces me to draw regularly than just waiting for school to start.

@Deadlyhazard - I really wouldn't worry about portfolio, you'd be surprised how diverse the student background is, some include not even drawing at all. If your really passionate and know what your getting yourself into I don't think it would be a problem.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    O'rly?

And uhh....how many hours of sleep do you get a day exactly? Like, considering if you manage your time perfectly? Like Wilson gave an example earlier in the thread, sleeping at 6AM and waking up at 10AM for school....is that just bad time management or is it seriously that intense?

link to portfolio submitted.. http://dave.magestick.com/ prior to fzd.. coming from canada

bad time management only fucks you up..
    realistically they give you more home work then you can handle .. Art center does the same thing. cept i herd art center is way more intense then fzd...
    but i imaging FZD will continue to raise the bar in terms of home work for its students.
    so its more less.. for me
    not enough time in the day .. do a little test .. draw me oh lets say a train design .. Don't look at any anime or game stuff.. look at real world reference... draw 5 pages a3 of design ideas based on your reference. 50 thumbnail designs then further you top 5 three times. pick the best 3
    and do a rough presentation pages support your designs with support drawings..ex.. if your door opens up a certin way then you need to show it..
    can't just say my design does this this and this.. with out the back up.. lay out perspective and value renders are also required.
    you find problems with current "designs" and find solutions .. support those solutions with drawings

oh yeah u can use photoshop .. but no shift key .. all lines must be free handed in .. feng don't use shift nore do the lectures .. so were taught the same.

also 5 pages of pro looking sketch book subject like heavy machinery .. nothing graphical .. or stylized .. but rather realistic reference . using perspective , value and proper lay out. drawings must look Pro. take your time.

time your self see how long that takes.. now thats just one class ..
    you have 3 more.

lets say your week in a area like drawing faces.. or hands .. then you need to find time to fit in..
    for my self right now its my penmenship in ps .. prior to fzd i never used a tablet .. every thing was done with mouse.. so i'm getting better but .. still feel its one day at a time.. lectures do offer me advice on exercises to over come my problem..

i think you could realistically wrap your days up at 1 -2 am every day if your super efficient. but ever now and then you get stuck .. or just need a nap or break .. so that plugs up a bit of time...
    It's as intense as you want it to be i guess.. your really want to push it then they encourage it .. but if you don't then it shows in your work.. they will rip into stuff and tell you no lies when they see bad work.. its good .. its why i came here.. i have no life .. fzd.. sleep .. gym on saturday.. fzd.. sleep ..

i think when you get your phone interview they tell you how its gonna be.. pretty much exactly how they told me..

hope that helps..

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    Wilson what kind of work are they making you do??? I would like to know so i can practice. are you working on backgrounds, characters, creatures? thank you. please stay in contact with us and tell us your experience.
    Design school .. start trying to solve problems on paper.. like exsample find a product around your house and see how you can make improvements to the design .. not cosmetics ..
    Start drawing perspective..
    Wouldn't stress about painting they show you ...
    Just start drawing man .. every thing
    Read a lot too ..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsondf View Post
    @ Deadlyhazard and @ Rabi

I don't think student portfolios pre-FZD are available anywhere unless they give it to you themselves. I've posted my Deviantart gallery earlier so I guess that was my level before FZD.

As for working time for schoolwork - it really depends, but mostly on Design Subjects, here's the deal. There's 18 of you in class submitting pages homework each week and getting critiqued, the critiques aren't one on one. Sometimes you have to present (and defend) your work in front of the class. The reason is to get you used to presentations. Sometimes your not allowed to work on your homework while your classmates are presenting (its just rude). To get through those 18 people eats up a chunk of time plus Art Directors lectures (which you might be able to work on your stuff but you might miss out on the lesson) at the most extreme lectures plus presentations end after lunch or 4pm at the most, but that's for Design subjects. That's why we stay beyond the 5PM up to the 10PM limit. The real basis IMHO is - the population of your class. Previous batch's had only 10 or less students mine's the biggest 18!

But I've seen time management solve this a lot (which you should really have). As for me staying up until 6AM and being in school at 10AM its either, I mismanaged my time or I'm trying to submit my work on a higher finish level. The school is meant to be intense for a reason.

Hope that helps
    Wow, 18 students O_O.

The school must be extremely selective of portfolios, haha.

And Phats, really liked your portfolio. Especially the guy with the drill, very well painted.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

fzd work

thanks for that reply phats. im gonna start practice right away. i appreciate it. because i really see myself in singapore studying in that school.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot peeps! That was very informative..
    Even im planning to join in soon...hopefully the feb batch

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ShehZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love FZD but the fees is too expensive not to mention the living expense like food and living, like i said i wuld love to join you guys the total cost it's too much. If you guys are staying in singapore and can give some advice how to manage will be grateful.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JawadAyub For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 351