Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    Heya phats, thanks for your input for us

I'll probably be there for your graduation show, as I've already been accepted for the June intake, and am making my preparations to go. I'll be heading down there late May.

Would you happen to have any recommendations as to where I could stay? I'm in Hong Kong currently.

. The only problem I can forsee is that I am a very heavy sleeper - and this is compounded by my medication for schizophrenia which is really sleep inducing. Another problem is waking up - I've had my mom tell me my alarm clock woke her up, and not me, even though she was down the freaking corridor.

No not really get an agent off cl or when you come here.

Don't itch to get out here .. when school starts you have no life .. period.

as for your problem .. yeah you gotta get over it .. i have 3 alarms and when it gets past 6 i just stay up ..
    my sleep pattern is completely fucked .. i take naps to cope .. 10 - 1 .. 3- 6 shit like that .. term 2 is brutal for no sleep.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phats View Post
    No not really get an agent off cl or when you come here.

Don't itch to get out here .. when school starts you have no life .. period.

as for your problem .. yeah you gotta get over it .. i have 3 alarms and when it gets past 6 i just stay up ..
    my sleep pattern is completely fucked .. i take naps to cope .. 10 - 1 .. 3- 6 shit like that .. term 2 is brutal for no sleep.
    Heh, I've got no life outside of my art, computers, and games (Which I definitely WON'T be bringing with me to Singapore, don't want the apple of temptation).

I never considered multiple alarms before - don't know why, but it's so simple! Thanks phats, will definitely get multiple alarms clocks and systems. I just wish there was some kind of wrist watch which would administer electric shocks on you, just enough to get you awake, and not enough to electrocute or burn you, heh.

But in anycase, I'm acclimatizing myself to the school, I sleep no earlier than 2am every day now, and sometimes I stay up altogether.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with us phats I can't wait to go.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for your insights

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Rabbi - Congrats on getting accepted. I guess by our posts you may have an idea on the kind of physical and mental stress toll school puts on a student. So really take care of everything. Have someone to call in case of emergencies (which we internationals really don't have) Its always the best to live near the school and advantageous, so do look up places. International students pay higher tuition, so don't get too sick that you can't do schoolwork (I have seen students who got sick and unable to work and thy just sit in class all the time and never able to do the homeworks.)

Also, up to you to let the school know regarding health issues just to be sure.

will post my work once gradshow nears, still doing new pieces and upgrading older ones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to go to this school but with out aid, I can't do such a large lump sum.
    how intense are the 6 week part time classes? I might do 1 or 2, would also love to see how Singapore is

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cetriya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    The reality is that if someone wants Feng they will just hire him. The art directors at the top do not want the real deal. The only things that are going to set any of the young students apart from the others is their own flavor..their own language of design and media handling and their own vision. I am not seeing that happen in that body of work.
    Very true. But perhaps what the students are going for is to learn his way of doing art first, so they have a base from which they can change to their own styles.

Saying that though, learning his way first will really limit their own style and abilities in the long run, because it'll be hard to change their way of thinking they learned from him.

Moral of the story: Learn from TAD instead.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They need to give some international scholarships . What would be awesome if they also extended it to a two year program, one year seems a bit fast.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    They need to give some international scholarships . What would be awesome if they also extended it to a two year program, one year seems a bit fast.
    that might be one of its main selling point. At least for me it is, cause after this course I would have continue my education with a class or 2 a year while keeping to the work ethic of drawing everyday. Its more a starting point I'd guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cetriya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What they NEED to do is open the professional studies online.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetriya View Post
    I would love to go to this school but with out aid, I can't do such a large lump sum.
    how intense are the 6 week part time classes? I might do 1 or 2, would also love to see how Singapore is
    I attended one of the 6 week part time course. To be honest it was a little too expensive for mostly demos. He has little time to crit on our work individually cos he does that during the class itself. 3 hrs every week is not sufficient ! I believe he has excellent demos ( some are the ones he did in class ) on his youtube site. They're pretty similar to what he teaches in the class.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerferinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    What they NEED to do is open the professional studies online.

definitely not going to happen. school environment provides discipline.

if i ask you to do the home work over a email and send it back to me by a day your probably not going to do it ..
    then i crit your work over email and send it back .. come on man .. that just sounds brutal

realistically what you guys say is expensive is affordable . you just probably didn't do the math yet.. for me to study in my own country at a very respected art university was more money then 1 year here.
    i'm not saying you need to attend this school .. but studying under pros will cost you. any where you go TAD.FZD,Art center.. whatevs..keep it in mind that its more expensive to be uneducated . i even took night time and part time classes in canada just to be sure of my decision to study abroad ..

ps Wilson the password is Ricky's mom!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    Hey Phatz

I have taken online classes and they do critique my work live. They use something similar to gotomeeting.com But yeah you are absolutely right! Going to a school in person is so much better. I just want them to open the 6 week courses online so we can at least have a taste of what the 1 year is like. And if they did I would still go to their country to take the one year course. But yeah there is nothing like going to school in person. Thanks again Phatz
    6 week is not like the 1 year.. it is what it is .. just 6 weeks ..

a lot of the peeps taking those classes are already working in the field in Singapore..

so i would assume your already expected to know your fundamentals.

the 1 year grinds that into most students

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lucky you guys have the time to watch the youtube design cinimas ..

i know some people are actually copying the stuff piece for piece .. puting there signature on it huge as fuck and posting it on there web site as there own concept art .. fucking horrible to see

25. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeez, hope they don't continue to do that cause that'll just have him stop posting.

better start saving the vids before he puts them down

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cetriya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand master copies, but not crediting the guy and then saying its your OWN art? Fuck them.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely not going to happen. school environment provides discipline.
    i'm not saying you need to attend this school .. but studying under pros will cost you. any where you go TAD.FZD,Art center.. whatevs..keep it in mind that its more expensive to be uneducated . i even took night time and part time classes in canada just to be sure of my decision to study abroad ..
    Truth word by word phats, thank you so much for your insight. This is specially remarkable "its more expensive to be uneducated"

i know some people are actually copying the stuff piece for piece .. puting there signature on it huge as fuck and posting it on there web site as there own concept art .. fucking horrible to see
    I can't believe that there's people doing that. Feng being plagiarized, outrageous....he gives us a hand with the "design cinema", he tells us what's behind the cool characters, creatures, environments, spaceships, and what not, and still there's people that dare to do such thing....outrageous. They haven't "walked" enough to value what he's doing, that's all I can think of....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know .. its sad .. there are a few.. and i have the links to there sites.. not sure if i should twitter these guys or just straight up tell em .. do your own designs

sad but true ..

32. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mr.Phats and wilson, Moe here. Cant wait to see the sick stuff you guys got up on the grad show in june. Will be looking forward, dont dissapoint yeah. haha.

For those wondering bout students that went in without formal training, I was one of them. Now by no means was I the best student, but considering I went in not knowing a single thing, I didnt know perspective, I didnt know how to draw or paint, and neither did I know know bout design. And being from malaysia we never had any kind of art training in sec school.

I learnt and grew a lot at FZD in the span of just 1 year. And It wasnt easy, at the same time I was living accross the border, I had to travel bout 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get home. Sleeping bout 2 - 3 hours a day, I lost bout 6-7 hours a day. But I used every single waking moment training and trying. And trust me, Feng wasnt kind.

He will tell you like it is. Be prepared to get critiqued into the ground. And from what I hear it's way harder and harsher now. But the returns you get, if you work hard enough, will be worth it. Ask any of those guys there. I honestly wish I could have stayed another year.

To you guys that got in congrats, you'll be in for a treat. Work hard, and the returns from FZD will be epic.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by moezy View Post
    Hey Mr.Phats and wilson, Moe here. Cant wait to see the sick stuff you guys got up on the grad show in june. Will be looking forward, dont dissapoint yeah. haha.

For those wondering bout students that went in without formal training, I was one of them. Now by no means was I the best student, but considering I went in not knowing a single thing, I didnt know perspective, I didnt know how to draw or paint, and neither did I know know bout design. And being from malaysia we never had any kind of art training in sec school.

I learnt and grew a lot at FZD in the span of just 1 year. And It wasnt easy, at the same time I was living accross the border, I had to travel bout 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get home. Sleeping bout 2 - 3 hours a day, I lost bout 6-7 hours a day. But I used every single waking moment training and trying. And trust me, Feng wasnt kind.

He will tell you like it is. Be prepared to get critiqued into the ground. And from what I hear it's way harder and harsher now. But the returns you get, if you work hard enough, will be worth it. Ask any of those guys there. I honestly wish I could have stayed another year.

To you guys that got in congrats, you'll be in for a treat. Work hard, and the returns from FZD will be epic.
    Haha Feng isn't kind huh? I heard he was humble at least. Sounds good to me, with the crits and all.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    Haha Feng isn't kind huh? I heard he was humble at least. Sounds good to me, with the crits and all.
    Haha, he is kind. Mainly in the first term he is very nice cause were still learning, But by the time you get to term 2 and 3 he's a lot more strict. But just dont take it personally, outside of class he is a nice guy. EVen in class he does crack his jokes. Haha.

But if the work is bad he's not gonna sugar coat it. Just have to learn to deal with the comments and move on. At the end of the day it's for our own good. Haha.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to moezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you guys buy the photoshop extended (Photoshop CS5 extended) or regular photoshop (Photoshop CS5) for your school?

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input about your experience at FZD moezy, makes me all the more excited!

In fact, I'll leave for Singapore within the next 1 to 1 1/2 weeks - have to be there by the 6th of June to sign some documents. Although the school has been a bit slow in regards to visas and notifying us when to pay the fees. But Elvira, Mihwa, and Sing Yee have assured me and my mom that there are no problems with my application status currently.

It's absolutely crazy with your travel arrangements moezy, but I guess people have traveled farther within their own countries, for longer periods, to get between home and work, work and home. But wow...can't wrap my head around traveling to another country every day, and back, just to attend the school. Granted, there's only a channel of water that separates Singapore and Malaysia...but...woah.

Anyway, I also asked the school which version of painter they will be using for my intake (June), and they said it would be the latest one, version 12.

I's great to know that Feng and the other teachers won't sugar coat the critiques. I don't see that as a negative at all, although the animu artists at dA would probably think so.

Speaking of which, it's 3:50am when I'm writing this post. I've been acclimatizing myself to the school's hectic sleep schedule. Staying up for me isn't the problem - waking up is. But phats has suggested I get multiple alarm clocks, which I probably will.

Also, would you guys happen to have any recommendations as to places to rent a room for a year, that is close to the school? Elvira suggested Sophia Lodge, which I looked at on Google Earth, and it was quite close to the school. I'll be looking through the SG M.O.E. list of hostels, and see which ones are close to FZD. But I'd like to know where you guys are staying.

Good luck at the grad show, and hope you guys get lots of contacts!

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL moezy! see you at the grad.
    then the after party is at the MILE!

is it Draw true? or draw through?

yep its true.. all of em not just feng give hard crits.. and its nothing personal ..
    just do more all the time ..
    Its always fun to see the term 2 burnt out kids

44. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "jamie .. Who said you could eat my cookies!"

46. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL moezy! see you at the grad.
    then the after party is at the MILE!

is it Draw true? or draw through?

yep its true.. all of em not just feng give hard crits.. and its nothing personal ..
    just do more all the time ..
    Its always fun to see the term 2 burnt out kids
    Haha, awesome. The MILE eh? Am I invited?

48. The Following User Says Thank You to moezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rabbi were you there in the gradshow? Would've been cool to talk with you

anyway.. posted my portfolio at the critiques section, that was some tough school, I still need a lot of improvement but I just want to share. As this thread has been going on for a year, I think.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=222623

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah, wasn't at the grad show unfortunately, due to student visa application complications from the beginning of June. I've got the visa approved now (Just yesterday in fact), so I'm coming to Singapore within 2 days to get the health checkup, and formalities done.

Would've loved to have been at the grad show, but couldn't make it

Congrats on everyone who graduated! I heard from Sing Yee that it was a blast.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wilsondf: Woah!! Congrats for your improvement!!...and Thank you so much for sharing...that was exactly the purpose of this thread YAY!

Rabbi: Time for you to improve exponentially!!! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks andres, my work is still far off on what I'd want it to be but the school gave me something to build on.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Excuse me

Can you guys shed a little light on what the course materials are? The course materials fee on the site seems to be quite high.

Last edited by teddybear123; June 20th, 2011 at 07:38 AM.

57. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teddybear123 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 296