Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Results 391 to 419 of 419
  1. #391
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thank you for adding this 34nohou.
    I've never really understood this whole '' lack of sleep '' thing, 6 hours is really more than you need. I think that it's more of a mental thing than anything else, I am actually A LOT more energetic when I've slept about 4-6 hours than 8-10 or whatever. I slept about 5 hours a day for a year and I was perfectly fine, now that I am staying at home and don't have a job. I am tired almost every day hehe, because I keep sleeping 9 to 10 hours.

    Id still love to hear from someone about how much they would estimate that they spent on living and how close to the school it was for the entire year? I've seen the estimation on FZDs website but I don't know how close it is for or the quality of the apartment. And I mean including food and all that, it's a pretty massive loan to take. Especially if you don't end up getting a job after school. But in the end of the day it might be worth it.

    SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #392
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Red face

    Hi all

    I applied for the February intake, got my interview last week and I'm really thrilled to learn if i got in!
    I was hoping I would find a roommate here that would also be going in February. This because apartments are so damn expensive in Singapore! We could share the rent and save some money, also since we'd do the same assignments we can help and motivate each other!

    Quick introduction:
    I'm 20 yo, male,from the Netherlands and finished my graphic design study a couple of months ago. Now working as a graphicdesigner/conceptartist/illustrator.
    I'm easy to get around with and have a passion for art.
    Check out my sketchbook if you'd like to check out my art: www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1215490/16

    Contact me at Reach-Designs@hotmail.com if your interested or just want to chat.

    Edit: I got accepted, yay! Still looking for a roomate, contact me!

    Last edited by flowers10; October 24th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #393
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nohou View Post
    To clarify, Im not in the batch in question, per se, but I know and talk to them (or a good 70-80 percent) quite well, and they are great folks with great personality. Its funny that you did not question this single person's behaviors and personality and judged the rest of their class.
    I wrote earlier saying 'Either he and his whole class are dicks or that "cancer" is a dick'
    I have no idea who is or who are the 'dick' or 'dicks' and that was why I wrote 'Either the whole class or the cancer'.
    I'm sorry if you thought I judged the rest of their class but that wasn't my intention. I meant it in such a way that school bullying is detrimental for all, the bully or the victim. It is always good to be more magnanimous and forgiving towards others whenever possible. Since you have made your point, that's good.

    Moving on, I hope this is of help to Mrkolsyrad and others coming to Singapore.

    Housing
    The rent for a 3 or 4 room public housing apartment in the Tanjong Pagar area starts from around $2,500 and up:
    http://www.iproperty.com.sg/property...t=R&mid=3&pt=H
    http://irenehomes.myweb.sg/2715804

    Google "HDB flat Tanjong Pagar". Find a few or as many people to share the flat with. This would be the most cost effective method if you wanna stay very near the school. I think it would be safe to say it will cost around $800 per person each month.

    Food
    Eat at hawker centres and local coffee shops (a neighborhood kind of eating place, no air-con but lively and bustling) or cook at home in your flat. A typical plate of rice or noodles in the Tanjong Pagar area will cost around $3+ to $4+. A drink will cost around $1 to $1.50. There is a FairPrice Supermarket in the area. You can save money by buying your canned or bottled drinks from places like this. Try to avoid the convenience stores as they are more expensive. If you do not eat and snack a lot, you can make do with $12 to $15 per day. If you eat like a horse, $20 perhaps? *Chuckles*

    Transport
    A round trip from Tanjong Pagar to most down town areas will cost you between $2 to $3. Use the EZ-Link card to get the rebates instead of using coins!

    Lifestyle and others
    You need to put aside money to buy things like necessities or books. This will depend on your own particular needs and wants. The amount can range from low to very high!

    Good luck!

    Last edited by pocky; October 19th, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #394
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky View Post
    I wrote earlier saying 'Either he and his whole class are dicks or that "cancer" is a dick'
    I have no idea who is or who are the 'dick' or 'dicks' and that was why I wrote 'Either the whole class or the cancer'.
    I'm sorry if you thought I judged the rest of their class but that wasn't my intention. I meant it in such a way that school bullying is detrimental for all, the bully or the victim. It is always good to be more magnanimous and forgiving towards others whenever possible. Since you have made your point, that's good.

    Moving on, I hope this is of help to Mrkolsyrad and others coming to Singapore.

    Housing
    The rent for a 3 or 4 room public housing apartment in the Tanjong Pagar area starts from around $2,500 and up:
    http://www.iproperty.com.sg/property...t=R&mid=3&pt=H
    http://irenehomes.myweb.sg/2715804

    Google "HDB flat Tanjong Pagar". Find a few or as many people to share the flat with. This would be the most cost effective method if you wanna stay very near the school. I think it would be safe to say it will cost around $800 per person each month.

    Food
    Eat at hawker centres and local coffee shops (a neighborhood kind of eating place, no air-con but lively and bustling) or cook at home in your flat. A typical plate of rice or noodles in the Tanjong Pagar area will cost around $3+ to $4+. A drink will cost around $1 to $1.50. There is a FairPrice Supermarket in the area. You can save money by buying your canned or bottled drinks from places like this. Try to avoid the convenience stores as they are more expensive. If you do not eat and snack a lot, you can make do with $12 to $15 per day. If you eat like a horse, $20 perhaps? *Chuckles*

    Transport
    A round trip from Tanjong Pagar to most down town areas will cost you between $2 to $3. Use the EZ-Link card to get the rebates instead of using coins!

    Lifestyle and others
    You need to put aside money to buy things like necessities or books. This will depend on your own particular needs and wants. The amount can range from low to very high!

    Good luck!

    thanks for the numbers!
    and those ...are very high numbers

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #395
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I've applied for the June 2013 intake. currently getting all my paperwork together. I just want to say that this thread has definitely helped in making up my mind to take the financial and mental risk. Its a big risk to put my job on hold and take a solid year to study, but from what people have posted (the good and the bad) I can't bring myself to pass. The opportunity definitely feels like it outweighs the risks.

    Although, I'm a little curious as to what the average age of the students are. its an expensive program, so i can't help but imagine that most of the students would be in their mid to late 20's, would I be wrong in that assumption? or maybe i'm really poor and it took me way too long to save up money for this program?

    you can see some of my work here

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I've applied for the June 2013 intake. currently getting all my paperwork together. I just want to say that this thread has definitely helped in making up my mind to take the financial and mental risk. Its a big risk to put my job on hold and take a solid year to study, but from what people have posted (the good and the bad) I can't bring myself to pass. The opportunity definitely feels like it outweighs the risks.

    Although, I'm a little curious as to what the average age of the students are. its an expensive program, so i can't help but imagine that most of the students would be in their mid to late 20's, would I be wrong in that assumption? or maybe i'm really poor and it took me way too long to save up money for this program?

    you can see some of my work here

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You mean 2014 ^^?
    I think that Feng mentioned that the Average age was about 25+/- in one of the Q&As on youtube.
    And good luck!

    SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #398
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    oops yeah i mean 2014!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #399
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Italy / UK
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey Guys,

    I am also in Feb intake although I am still waiting for my student visa so finger crossed.
    I hope all goes well and I will be able to meet some of you in 14 weeks!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #400
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I had my interview a little over a week ago, and the schools accepted me. The turn around was amazingly quick, i don't think I've experience such a quick turn around from a school before! Its a very positive sign. My personal experience with schools is that even if the teaching side is fantastic, if the admin side lets you down, its absolutely catastrophic. so the quick turn around and the efficiency seems like a good start.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #401
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,148
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 400 Times in 274 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vostroya View Post
    I had my interview a little over a week ago, and the schools accepted me. The turn around was amazingly quick, i don't think I've experience such a quick turn around from a school before! Its a very positive sign. My personal experience with schools is that even if the teaching side is fantastic, if the admin side lets you down, its absolutely catastrophic. so the quick turn around and the efficiency seems like a good start.
    A quick turnaround can also be a symptom of a small school where the verdict is in the hands of a single person.
    Anyways, congrats, I hope you will have a great time!

    Grinnikend door het leven...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #402
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I have to agree with eezacque. Almost anyone who applied and paid the $500 application fee is accepted.
    Obviously, the elites are preferred. The rest are there to fill up the space for business reasons (Make an educated guess, I don't wanna get sued! )
    Anyways, congrats too!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #403
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi,

    I also got accepted . But I don't mind they accepted everyone who's paying. As long as they are serious about what's ahead. I can only imagine that it wont be an easy ride, that's for sure after reading the thread. But for me 35 y/o , as I see it is my last change to make a career change from IT which I've been working with the last 13 year. And I need an intensive education rather than going to art school and study for 2-3 years which will eventually cost more in time and money. It is definitely worth the shot. Even though I wont get the job I want, for me it will be an experience/knowledge/lesson I will have with me for the rest of my life.

    I submitted the first 6 pics in my Scetchbook for the application wich also are my worse pieces since its was the firsts I made since my early 20's

    See you hopefully in february 2014.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #404
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Italy / UK
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aissa78 View Post
    Hi,

    I also got accepted . But I don't mind they accepted everyone who's paying. As long as they are serious about what's ahead. I can only imagine that it wont be an easy ride, that's for sure after reading the thread. But for me 35 y/o , as I see it is my last change to make a career change from IT which I've been working with the last 13 year. And I need an intensive education rather than going to art school and study for 2-3 years which will eventually cost more in time and money. It is definitely worth the shot. Even though I wont get the job I want, for me it will be an experience/knowledge/lesson I will have with me for the rest of my life.

    I submitted the first 6 pics in my Scetchbook for the application wich also are my worse pieces since its was the firsts I made since my early 20's

    See you hopefully in february 2014.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Plus even if the school only has 3 classes I see it as a strong point.

    I would rather be taught by a teacher with 90 students then 300.

    I had some really awful school experience where the students had absolutely nothing to gain from the lecturers, when you are a young person just out of high school it can be enjoyable but for someone a bit older who feels like they are running out of time to build their career it is a real torture. When I found this school i was sold at one year course with "more work then you can handle".

    Hope I will see you in February!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #405
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi people...

    wow.
    this was a hell of a ride wasn't it?
    I just read almost every post on every page to get a good insight on what this school is all about (or what people think of it), so let me tell you that my eyes are burning a bit. And there were good posts and... other not so good.

    Now, this is going to be a bit of a personal opinion, so I don't want to misled you into thinking I'm an asshole or anything, because I'm just trying to make sense here since I got accepted for the June batch 2014 and I never ever read any opinions from alumni or anything in terms of this school until now. So, to the point.

    What I get from everything that I just read (from page 1 to 14) is that this school has a very "harsh" and "perfectionist" and "victory is for the strongest" approach. Which is cool, I respect that. But, it seems it goes way over the top.

    I mean... when I entered this "career" I did it because I love what it means to create and imagine all together. And I really think that creativity and life goes together hand in hand. And by what I've read here, is that dude! you got zero life here. FORGET IT. And man, I don't want to sound like a hippie or anything. But I don't believe in achieving "victory" by destroying my mind, soul and body. I already come from another Uni where I had that a bit destroyed, and let me tell you that life there was pretty amazing. Awesome recreational activities, parties, cool and nice people that can and are willing to hang out with you, the possibility to find love even. I know this a whole other aspect of education FZD has. But it seems artificial and forced. Way forced. And for me I think I might do awesome in FZD and I think I would definitely fit in, because I'm very competitive and i believe in pushing as hard as I can to improve and become even better that I could ever dream.
    But I also need to live, love, and breath. Take a hike, go take a swim or climb a mountain once in a while. Not because I'm weak or anything. But because I'm human and I want to make my work part of my life and not make work my whole life... because that's no life at all.
    And I've learned through the years (I'm 25 y/o industrial designer) that if you don't give space to your life to grow and develop, then you're loosing the battle man. Because there's no way happiness comes from sacrificing your sleep hours, friends, family, game (gaming not to be taken as playing XBox all day, but as playing basketball with your friends or something like that) for a goal that you might find either way. I think that paying a huge amount of money, and sacrificing all of that above would be for me a desperate measure for an idea of me "growing older".
    I think now that I will become a much better concept artist, a better industrial designer, a better artist. But in time. And I will enjoy every bit of moment of it, which doesn't mean I will be a lazy ass, I will keep studying, every day, every time, with a smile on my face or with a serious determination when times are rough. But I will never put my work in order to "crush" my life. Even if its for a year. Because that's not the way I want to live. So I guess I'm not going. lol. 442 US dollars to the trash.

    As I told you before... this is a personal opinion. And maybe some of you agree or disagree, because you live your lives they way you want to. And it's cool.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

    An I also leave you with these TED video. (maybe some of you know about it)
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinso...th_valley.html

    Cheers.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #406
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fesbra View Post
    Hi people...

    wow.
    this was a hell of a ride wasn't it?
    I just read almost every post on every page to get a good insight on what this school is all about (or what people think of it), so let me tell you that my eyes are burning a bit. And there were good posts and... other not so good.

    Now, this is going to be a bit of a personal opinion, so I don't want to misled you into thinking I'm an asshole or anything, because I'm just trying to make sense here since I got accepted for the June batch 2014 and I never ever read any opinions from alumni or anything in terms of this school until now. So, to the point.

    What I get from everything that I just read (from page 1 to 14) is that this school has a very "harsh" and "perfectionist" and "victory is for the strongest" approach. Which is cool, I respect that. But, it seems it goes way over the top.

    I mean... when I entered this "career" I did it because I love what it means to create and imagine all together. And I really think that creativity and life goes together hand in hand. And by what I've read here, is that dude! you got zero life here. FORGET IT. And man, I don't want to sound like a hippie or anything. But I don't believe in achieving "victory" by destroying my mind, soul and body. I already come from another Uni where I had that a bit destroyed, and let me tell you that life there was pretty amazing. Awesome recreational activities, parties, cool and nice people that can and are willing to hang out with you, the possibility to find love even. I know this a whole other aspect of education FZD has. But it seems artificial and forced. Way forced. And for me I think I might do awesome in FZD and I think I would definitely fit in, because I'm very competitive and i believe in pushing as hard as I can to improve and become even better that I could ever dream.
    But I also need to live, love, and breath. Take a hike, go take a swim or climb a mountain once in a while. Not because I'm weak or anything. But because I'm human and I want to make my work part of my life and not make work my whole life... because that's no life at all.
    And I've learned through the years (I'm 25 y/o industrial designer) that if you don't give space to your life to grow and develop, then you're loosing the battle man. Because there's no way happiness comes from sacrificing your sleep hours, friends, family, game (gaming not to be taken as playing XBox all day, but as playing basketball with your friends or something like that) for a goal that you might find either way. I think that paying a huge amount of money, and sacrificing all of that above would be for me a desperate measure for an idea of me "growing older".
    I think now that I will become a much better concept artist, a better industrial designer, a better artist. But in time. And I will enjoy every bit of moment of it, which doesn't mean I will be a lazy ass, I will keep studying, every day, every time, with a smile on my face or with a serious determination when times are rough. But I will never put my work in order to "crush" my life. Even if its for a year. Because that's not the way I want to live. So I guess I'm not going. lol. 442 US dollars to the trash.

    As I told you before... this is a personal opinion. And maybe some of you agree or disagree, because you live your lives they way you want to. And it's cool.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

    An I also leave you with these TED video. (maybe some of you know about it)
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinso...th_valley.html

    Cheers.
    I don't plan on going to FZD since it will always be out of my budget but considering it's a one year program, wouldn't it be worth it to set aside your life for 1 year and work your ass off and be basically set up for life after that? Just dedicated that one year learn as much as possible and output good quality work. After you land a couple of jobs and settle in I feel like it would be worth it..

    I wouldn't know much about it but just seems like that from my opinion

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #407
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,148
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 400 Times in 274 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mohq View Post
    I don't plan on going to FZD since it will always be out of my budget but considering it's a one year program, wouldn't it be worth it to set aside your life for 1 year and work your ass off and be basically set up for life after that?
    It is definitely not going to work for everyone: you cannot cram a complete concept art program in one year.

    For some reason, art schools keep advertising the idea that can learn whatever you need in 1-4 years, if you try hard enough. In the end, some people with prerequisite skills and the occasional megatalent can become employable after one year, and there is nothing wrong with continuing education after graduation, but it is simply misleading if a school claims their students go from zero to hero in one year.

    Grinnikend door het leven...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #408
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    My understanding of FZD was that it was a finishing school, designed for people who already have a background in the creative fields (ie industrial, graphics etc) and have already have some work experience. So that year long intensive made sense, at least to me when viewed from that perspective. I can imagine that if you've been working or you dont have the luxury of time, then a year intensive is extremely attractive.

    I've applied for the mid year 2014 intake. My perspective is that its just a year, I'm willing to take the financial and emotional risk. Yeah its a big risk, but whats the worst that could happen? I lose money and time. Money i can earn again, be hard and i'd be living hard for a while, but you can earn money back. Time, well theres not much we can do about that. That's really the worst that would happen, you lose money and some time. As far as other education programs or career paths its risk is pretty low. As for the emotional and physical toll, well like any job (i believe that when you're at school, thats your job) you can always stop, take a breath and leave. No ones standing there with a gun to your head.

    I'd also argue though that a normal university program of 3 to 4 year is plenty of time to build up the skills needed - unfortunately (at least with my experience) going into uni at 18, i had no understanding about how to manage my time and so i wasted a lot of it doing work that i didnt need to do, or wasting time doing other things which weren't work. You literally have 6 months a year outside of uni where you could work on your own material or practice on parts you were falling behind. But again, i had no real life skills or experience so i just wasted time. Looking back on it now, i have no problems with schools saying that you can go from zero to hero over the course of a program (maybe not a year, but at least in a 3 or 4 year program). But the cards are definitely against you the younger you are. Im a lecturer now, and from my experience, the older guys tend to perform stronger than the younger guys. They might not have the raw energy but they're consistent and they're more able to hit their milestones. But theres always exceptions, and i think those guys though, will always perform well whether its a 4 year program or a 1 year program.

    What is misleading though, is not telling students that to get from zero to hero, they'll need help - role models, mentors, etc. And that is definitely a resource that a lot of schools simply don't have. I worked out that when i teach first years, I can only allocate to them 4 minutes and 25 seconds each per class, and for my senior students they get lucky with 6 minutes and 15 seconds per student, per class. With 24 teaching weeks a year, and say an average of 5 minutes of teacher to student time per class, its easy to see how a lot of schools set their students up to fail if they're not armed with sufficient time management skills.


    annnnnnd im sorry for ranting

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #409
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wow I would love to work with someone with your mindset. I also believe in living life outside of school/work but it seems there is almost no room to breathe with this school. This is a risk I'm going to have to take. I'm sorry to see you throw away 400 Usd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fesbra View Post
    Hi people...

    wow.
    this was a hell of a ride wasn't it?
    I just read almost every post on every page to get a good insight on what this school is all about (or what people think of it), so let me tell you that my eyes are burning a bit. And there were good posts and... other not so good.

    Now, this is going to be a bit of a personal opinion, so I don't want to misled you into thinking I'm an asshole or anything, because I'm just trying to make sense here since I got accepted for the June batch 2014 and I never ever read any opinions from alumni or anything in terms of this school until now. So, to the point.

    What I get from everything that I just read (from page 1 to 14) is that this school has a very "harsh" and "perfectionist" and "victory is for the strongest" approach. Which is cool, I respect that. But, it seems it goes way over the top.

    I mean... when I entered this "career" I did it because I love what it means to create and imagine all together. And I really think that creativity and life goes together hand in hand. And by what I've read here, is that dude! you got zero life here. FORGET IT. And man, I don't want to sound like a hippie or anything. But I don't believe in achieving "victory" by destroying my mind, soul and body. I already come from another Uni where I had that a bit destroyed, and let me tell you that life there was pretty amazing. Awesome recreational activities, parties, cool and nice people that can and are willing to hang out with you, the possibility to find love even. I know this a whole other aspect of education FZD has. But it seems artificial and forced. Way forced. And for me I think I might do awesome in FZD and I think I would definitely fit in, because I'm very competitive and i believe in pushing as hard as I can to improve and become even better that I could ever dream.
    But I also need to live, love, and breath. Take a hike, go take a swim or climb a mountain once in a while. Not because I'm weak or anything. But because I'm human and I want to make my work part of my life and not make work my whole life... because that's no life at all.
    And I've learned through the years (I'm 25 y/o industrial designer) that if you don't give space to your life to grow and develop, then you're loosing the battle man. Because there's no way happiness comes from sacrificing your sleep hours, friends, family, game (gaming not to be taken as playing XBox all day, but as playing basketball with your friends or something like that) for a goal that you might find either way. I think that paying a huge amount of money, and sacrificing all of that above would be for me a desperate measure for an idea of me "growing older".
    I think now that I will become a much better concept artist, a better industrial designer, a better artist. But in time. And I will enjoy every bit of moment of it, which doesn't mean I will be a lazy ass, I will keep studying, every day, every time, with a smile on my face or with a serious determination when times are rough. But I will never put my work in order to "crush" my life. Even if its for a year. Because that's not the way I want to live. So I guess I'm not going. lol. 442 US dollars to the trash.

    As I told you before... this is a personal opinion. And maybe some of you agree or disagree, because you live your lives they way you want to. And it's cool.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

    An I also leave you with these TED video. (maybe some of you know about it)
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinso...th_valley.html

    Cheers.


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #410
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hello

    in a few days, I will receive the letter for June-Intake from the FZD. I'm so happy!
    Now, I have to look for an accomodation. If all going well, I plan to arrive Singapore in May 2014 to have one Month to settle down and to accustom myself to the singaporean climate.
    I'm searching now for people to share a place Singapore is an expensive place and it would be cool, if some of us become friends, sharing a flat or house with the possibility for every one to have his/her own room
    Perhaps we could open a facebook-group or something like that?
    You can send me a PM here, or mail me: lepilemure@web.de

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #411
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey students of June 2014, we have started a small group. Pm me for details

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #412
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I got my acceptance to fzd today, so its time to get off my arse and get warmed up! I do want to thank all the people who posted on this thread, it definitely helped a lot in making my decision.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #413
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thanks for everyone replying to this thread it both made me even more serious about my studies prior to attenting FZD and a little worried on the side, then again I seem to be always needlessly worried about things so nothing changed much.

    Also attenting FZD in June 2014.
    Rynja & rupuni, I tossed a PM for you.

    Last edited by Zhyren; February 13th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #414
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    My opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    It is definitely not going to work for everyone: you cannot cram a complete concept art program in one year.

    For some reason, art schools keep advertising the idea that can learn whatever you need in 1-4 years, if you try hard enough. In the end, some people with prerequisite skills and the occasional megatalent can become employable after one year, and there is nothing wrong with continuing education after graduation, but it is simply misleading if a school claims their students go from zero to hero in one year.
    Hello, I'm a student who is in Feb. 2014 intake and has just went through my 1st week in FZD. Only thing I can tell you is that FZD is no art school, and yes they can cram the whole curriculum in a year. An art/ architectural background, industrial design, etc .. related fields , is just a plus and its no prerequisite for a student to know how to draw. I am amazed that it is possible because stuff here is thought scientifically and technically.. Nothing like art schools. Not everyone with megatalent is employable. Here in the industry, attitude is no.1, skill and creativity is only 2nd. It is very evident if you visit the school, because my classmates and my seniors are very professional with handling themselves.

    I just also wanna share some reasons that a students might drop:
    1. Lacks professionalism which results to being immature/ not solid enough to help each other
    2. Student mistakes creative/illustrator mindset for designer mindset and cannot adjust to the new workflow
    3. Student is egoistic hence can't accept criticism and stops self growth
    4. student love being called a designer more than actually doing designs
    5. Lazy, or simply being late, this is already training or boot camp so everyone strives to be on time
    6. Loss of passion

    What really kills a student is when they lose passion. At 1st week, i could already tell that the school feels more like an actual studio, and students act like professionals.

    The curriculum is very doable, it is actually up to you to really make the most out of the lessons. All subjects and terms are connected, so if u slack at the easier terms, it tends to domino effect. Not being solid or going the extra mile to work as a team (as a class) is a huge one too.

    This school is hard, it is bootcamp. But its intentional and you'll know why if you are here. There's a reason for it.

    I've read that some people also think Feng is ripping students off. Actually, there is a long tedious process that the school undergoes for each student to get a visa. Because once u get accepted, the gov't protects your funds against the school. Everything here is totally transparent.

    To future students, all I can say is, do not take to heart whatever is written here. If you have that passion for design, this school is a must. And do not mistake illustration and designer mindset. It might shock you for the turn around and the training. But all this hardship is really for your improvement. I hope this helps.

    Also, Hello to my classmates!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kabukicat For This Useful Post:


  26. #415
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,148
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 400 Times in 274 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabukicat View Post
    Hello, I'm a student who is in Feb. 2014 intake and has just went through my 1st week in FZD. Only thing I can tell you is that FZD is no art school, and yes they can cram the whole curriculum in a year.
    I suggest you come back and show me after your complete that single year.

    Grinnikend door het leven...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #416
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hello eezacque,

    You can check out Alex Jessup's work here: http://alexjjessup.deviantart.com

    That guy started school at FZD equipped with stick figures.

    Also, yup I'll see you back in a year.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #417
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,148
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 400 Times in 274 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabukicat View Post
    You can check out Alex Jessup's work here: http://alexjjessup.deviantart.com

    That guy started school at FZD equipped with stick figures.
    I really love it when people do so well in school!

    However, it says next to nothing about the program. A program is only good if it consistently guides people from A to B. That is, it checks whether people start at A, it guides them from A to B, and checks whether they have arrived at B. There are too many schools that accept everyone who is willing to pay the tuition, leave them dangling for years, and finally send them out with or without a chance to start a career, only to present some exceptional talents as 'Wow! Look at our students!'

    I am looking forward to reading about your success one year from now, but I believe three weeks is not enough to evaluate the program. I wish you all the luck in the world: go for it!

    Grinnikend door het leven...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #418
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Kabukicat,
    Thanks for sharing those info, that was awesome!
    Do you know if they have many students like in middle 30's there? I saw the graduation show and only notice very young people there, and they can be just mean to elderly one, lol!

    Thanks again!

    ::: WEENEEDS.COM
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #419
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi, I haven't read the entire thread as there's like 400 posts now so if this question has been answered earlier just tell me

    So I'm an english art student looking at going to FZD and I was wondering if there is really a massive difference in skills learned between going to FZD or going to a university and studying a related course there. I feel like FZD is the best place for me to go but it is a lot more expensive and a much larger risk than studying at an english university so if I could study a course to a similar degree of quality closer to home that would be preferable.

    Also what other schools similar to FZD exist? I know of FZD, TAD and Art Centre. Are there any others?

    Thanks

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Members who have read this thread: 305

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •