Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Feng Zhu School of Design

Thanks
    I think some people are kinda misled by FZD's marketing & hype. You have to talk to many different students to get different viewpoints to know how the school really is & how things work there. Some ppl might be disappointed to learn the truth after entering that school because the experience is not as expected & the money might be more well-spent elsewhere.

The fees are astronomical especially for international students. One might be betta off with better & cheaper options in the US or other parts of the world. It's best to do more research on all the similar courses offered by the different schools & academies. It might be better to take a few short courses at some schools with world class instructors in LA & the prices there are cheaper comparatively. It's how you perceive value. Compare first & make wise choices!

You don't have to listen to peremptory stuff like:
    'U chose to come here yourself, nobody forced you'
    'I only care about the top students who can help to market the school'
    'this school is very judgmental'
    'I won't do demos/draw or paint over student's stuff if it's not gonna benefit me or my portfolio'

You don't have to live up to other ppl's expectations & buy their empty talk due to their lack of dedication in teaching.

Do they really teach as much & as well as described?
    Do they teach in an understandable manner that works for all the students rather than a 'free-style' approach? Teaching what they like as & when, leaving out certain key points/topics as a result of the inconsistencies
    Do they really help the students? (Or are they even interested to do so in the first place since it's a waste of their precious time?)

Pls find out if a school is really doing some guinea-pig testing style. What good is a school if it benefits mostly the tyrants' pockets & not the individual student?

Put the initial excitement aside, calm down & do not hastily sign up thinking it's a magic cure or miracle. Besides willing to lose lotsa sleep & wanting to work very hard, do compare, do lots of research, make friends with past & present students of the school, ask them for honest answers & make sure it will benefit you eventually & not waste your time listening to the school's 'mightier than thou' talk. Make a wise decision!
    Last edited by mike88; July 28th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There don't seem to be much originality in some of the student's works. People have noticed that from their first batch of students. Everything looks kind of familiar, you can almost tell where it is 'referenced' from.

Was looking at a 'top' student's website and I immediately recognized some works. I've picked a few of that student's works which are more obvious, can you spot the difference?

The original content are from students of a well-known school doing an alien race project, a sci-fi movie that has a vertical city and an adventure game that has a lot of ancient ruins environments.

Are the students there allowed to 'reference' others' works so closely for their portfolios and call it their own? Do they actually apply for jobs using these heavily 'referenced' works? I am totally baffled and amazed at the same time.

It would be so much faster to build up a massive portfolio using these short-cut methods as opposed to designing everything from scratch and staying true to be original.

It seems like FZD turns a blind eye to such blatant cheap imitations just because they love their top performing students who can market and sell the school for them.

Attachment 1289451
    Last edited by Conradz; July 30th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Conradz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

a beginner

Yeah, i am a complete beginner and i wanna go there. yeah i know its not such a good idea for me to go there. they will probably reject me and for a good reason (i started drawing 3 years ago). i know the school is all about design. well duh! not to be mean to anyone but the name of the school is feng zhu school of DESIGN. if people got out of there mad its their own darn fault. i wanna go there so i can learn how to properly design characters and enviros. but first things first. i gotta get that traditional drawing education first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I were in the US (and had the money) , honestly I'd have more options to look at. But no.

I didn't reference any art of books while I was there for my assignments but I do look at some but not for design (its embarrassing when you copy) influence or inspiration (that's the easy way) its mostly aiming for a finish level.

And yes, the marketing side I'm not that keen into. I would have rather see the school give more information than flashy student work its like: "If you go here, you can do this!!" Younger students tend to bite at this without a thought that "every person is different."

But as far as SUBJECT MATTER, I say yes, they are quite close to what some "Art Of" books has and has a high risk of being compared to but never copied from. Anyone who has scoured and know concept artists might find something to compare to.

IMHO Any work from FZD is the responsibility of the students producing them. If its too referenced from existing material and we end up ruining our credibility, If it looks like we didn't learn anything then its the student's own fault. The range of quality of works is wide, some students must've learned something, right?

But if I see people tracing over existing perspective shots and submitting it as an assignment I have gone mad with rage because I didn't get any sleep while they did it cheating

Like I've read before

"School is what you make of it."

There really is no magic formula, some student's never improved at all throughout one year when they still think "I thought this was going to be easy, they had me fooled". 1 year is not enough for some. I heard stories of some students go ballistic, their usually the ones who are having a hard time and they should get over it before its too late.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @fluorite How do you explain why your fellow schoolmate's stuff looks so similar to existing works done by other people? The creature, spaceship and the building shown above are just a few to name. That person has quite a number of suspicious and familiar looking stuff if you go look at the website.

@Wilsondf So are you saying they are quite close to some "Art Of" books but never copied from? They are all coincidences? I agree it might be a coincidence if it happens once or twice in a while but not when it happens quite often and quite a number of works are that close. Furthermore, those were not done for self-practice, they were put in a portfolio which i assume is for finding a job.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Conradz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Conradz - like I've said its the students own responsibility if other see it as too close on what has been done before. If they got a job or got rejected that's up to the employers ultimately. And I can't do anything about it. Even the art directors cannot memorize every piece of concept art out there.

End of the day, everyone is just better off honing their own skills and improving the work they produce. I have seen other students work that's so close to other stuff from a mile away. That's their decision. I don't want to waste time pointing out to the lecturer's that someone is cheating.

IMHO I'm glad you brought this subject up, now people will have more to think about before signing up and committing. Before I started class, there was no thread about the school at all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

new fzd students

For The new batch of students, could you please post some of your work. I would like to see your improvement. I know you are going to be VERY BUSY. but once in a while come here and tell us about your work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What mike88 mentioned made me think...and I deeply believe that no one should ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    I think some people are kinda misled by FZD's marketing & hype. Some ppl might be disappointed to learn the truth after entering that school because the experience is not as expected & the money might be more well-spent elsewhere.
    The fees are astronomical especially for international students. One might be betta off with better & cheaper options in the US or other parts of the world. It's best to do more research on all the similar courses offered by the different schools & academies.
    Do they really teach as much & as well as described?
    Do they teach in an understandable manner that works for all the students rather than a 'free-style' approach? Teaching what they like as & when, leaving out certain key points/topics as a result of the inconsistencies
    Do they really help the students? (Or are they even interested to do so in the first place since it's a waste of their precious time?)
    Pls find out if a school is really doing some guinea-pig testing style. What good is a school if it benefits mostly the tyrants' pockets & not the individual student?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey guys,

since some of you are interested in the progress of an fzd student, i thought i'd go out on a limb and embarrass myself by sharing my not-so-fantastic website/blog. i dabbled in graphic design and vector art before enrolling. i knew very little of concept art.

this was my first attempt about a year ago:
    Feng Zhu School of Design

i decided to upload almost every single assignment i did in hopes of tracking my own progress as well as provide some information to others who are curious about the process involved.

i hope they help to answer your questions in any way. the site won't be up for long, as i'm about to prepare my portfolio soon, so take a look while it's up

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freakyfir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is weird I could swear there was another post by flourite after the one that I did

freakyfir: Thank you so much..seriously this is so exciting!

It's amazing how this thread has grown with such content thanks to everyone

Thanks
    Hey,

I have already got accepted for the one year program due in october...just waiting for the visa application and other stuff to be filled out..I have a question for the international students..

1) When do they mostly deploy the documents for the visa application?
    Because I havent recieved any of the documents and im 2 months away from the commencement date.

2) How long does the visa process take?
    As I would need to book my flight tickets at the earliest so it wouldnt cause inconvenience later on.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ShehZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi SheZ

I can only tell by experience. From what I remember I was informed that I got accepted maybe 2 or 3 weeks before school started and the Student Visa was processed when I arrived in Singapore and submitted my requirements.

Maybe you should be in Singapore 2 or 3 weeks before school officially starts, a bit expensive if you still don't have a place to stay though. Check on how long your passport gets you to stay legally in Singapore, mine was 30 days as a tourist and I overlapped it to when school will commence.

But 2 or 3 weeks is more than enough to settle the paperwork. Just make sure your documents are in order and complete. I remember bringing birth certificates, transcripts, diplomas, etc..

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

fzd

for the fzd graduates. i was wondering if they give you a short break during the one year program? if so how long is it? thank you.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast