Feng Zhu School of Design - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Feng Zhu School of Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but i love hot chicks with guns lol
    my folio is www.rhysgriffiths.net too, thats the one i applied with.
    i'm starting feb next year, heaps excited!
    my only worry is not getting enough sleep.. i function so badly with under 10 hrs sleep :| i suppose i'll get used to it, or try and manage my time super well!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone loves chicks with guns, but there's nothing new about that :p

Yeah, with your skills I don't think you will need to do all-nighters. Of course, you always learn more if you work more, but if you are that good I imagine it doesn't take you 100 hours to get one painting done, so you probably finish 3 paintings in the time it takes me to do one. The reason most of us never really sleep is because we suck so bad, we need to kill ourselves to catch up to guys that start off in class at your level :p

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol we didnt get the workshop tickets ;( they were all sold out pretty fast lol... wishper ur portfolio is pretty neat ... i gues i wil hav to join FZD a little later or i would end up blowing my brains out tryin to catch up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some wonderful submission portfolios. Id love to study at FZD some day but I mean surly its going to be years before it would even be useful for me with my current level?

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    There are some wonderful submission portfolios. Id love to study at FZD some day but I mean surly its going to be years before it would even be useful for me with my current level?
    Not true. Your drawing skills are good enough, FZD teaches the core fundamentals to be a strong designer, starting from the very basics. Just try and expand your visual library more, do more studies of things with plenty of details... I mean, it's great to study things in its simplest form as a beginner (like you've been doing), but it seems to me your visual library is lacking.

I think now is the perfect time for you to submit a design portfolio to fzd if you are truly interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anything, joining a class with strong students in it will help you more than joining a class where you are the best. If you're coming here with the mentality of catching up to people, good luck, you'll need it. Remember while you work hard, they work hard too, so the gap pretty much remains. That said, there are some people who learn faster than others so it might be possible, but really for me the goal is to improve my own skills, not to catch up to anyone- And to that end, having classmates that are much stronger than me enables me to ask them questions when the art directors are not available :p

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man. It's always a good time to start.
    As ct2 said just before, you would learn all the fundamental at FZD anyway so it would really give you a kickstart to your learning curve, you know?
    I had to learn all the fundamentals myself, but with some good mentors you could probably learn those exact same things in a fraction of the time.

And if anything, you'll learn a lot more from having good class mates. This year of university was the first year that I've met some people highly skilled at digital art/3D art, and as a result I learnt more this year than the last few years combined. The motivation and learning that you can get from having a group of friends like that is priceless.

And thanks for your feedback a few posts up Vak! That's quite reassuring that I might be able to get some sleep, haha. I will still be working as hard as I can anyway though. To be honest, the main motivation for me to join the school was the working environment. I rarely do more than 10 hours practise a week at home, sometimes only 1 or 2, and I'm torn between my social life, work, family and friends, games (fml dota 2 is so addictive) and other commitments. It will be good to leave all that behind so I can focus on improving my skillset enough to land a nice job. Regardless of how good the teachers are, I think anyone practising for 10-18 hrs a day in a competitive environment for an whole year would improve a ridiculous amount!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m also thinking going to Feng’s school sometime in the future (when I save enough money hehe… ). And I would really appreciate if Vak could answer my questions!

1) What options students have where to live? I read in the FZD’s FAQ that school does not provide any housing. So what are the most convenient options and how much does it cost?
    2) Also in their website it is mentioned that monthly expenses are around S$1000-1500. Is this information accurate from your experience?
    3) And my final question is, how good English you have to know so you don’t feel uncomfortable or be sort of in disadvantage in terms of participating in the classes? Are you required to talk a lot during the classes? Perhaps presenting your work, projects, etc.

Thank you a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In answer to your questions:

1) Its entirely up to you. You can find a flat with a bunch of roommates and spend 300$ a month or you can rent a condo right next to school for 4000 a month. There are other options like a hostel called Novena Hall, you can google it, its pretty easy to find- It's a cool place to stay, they take care of your laundry for you and stuff, but it's 1-1.5k for a tiny room.

2) Monthly expenses. Again, its up to you. Really with FZD you don't really have time to do stuff like go out drinking and all that, so most of your expenses go to food. You can eat with 5-10$ a day, or you can go to expensive places and pay 50$ for a tiny steak. Singapore is a place where prices vary drastically from one place to another.

3) I'm not sure how to answer that. Yes you do present your work, but seriously sometimes I don't understand a word my classmates are saying :p The better your English the better you'll learn of course, but if you can't speak english well enough to fluently communicate, you will find singapore a very hard place to live in, especially given the fact that the Singaporeans themselves have a very strong accent in English. You have to keep in mind that for most people here english is a second language, and the locals will usually speak some form of Asian language amongst themselves when no westerners are present.

all this is from my experience. If you want my opinion, e-mail FZD staff with the same questions. I'm sure Jill or one of the other FZD girls will answer your questions. No need to be shy, they're cool people and you can ask anything related to surviving Singapore and FZD directly to them. They're usually very prompt with responses too, except when it's close to a new term, when they're busy with managing visas and all that jazz. Next intake is February though, so you have a pretty big window to address all your questions.

Cheers!

PS: All the costs listed above are in singapore dollars, just to avoid any confusion.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsondf View Post
    Its fun and intense work in the school. In just two months, the stuff they teach, you can figure out to draw anything.

Its very advantageous for those who have drawn for a long time and exposed to concept art prior to attending the school. But any newbie in drawing, with the right attitude and work can evolve quickly.

The way they teach is amazing. Stuff actually make sense because they use science to explain.

Again, its too intense. Just one subjects homework alone fills an entire week to draw. Imagine if you have 5 different subjects that give homeworks. I need to plan my free time so far ahead because of the workload. I sleep at around 6am and go to school before 10am. But its still the most fun I've had.

Its very recommended for those who seriously want to learn to design. But if your like " I want to draw it this way because I feel it looks cool and I don't want to go all through those thumbnail and research processes.". you might have to adjust because you don't get to pick the topics and restrictions.

I was lucky enough to be one of the internaionals that got in... I don't know when they will be open for another batch.
    Thank you for telling me that they do accept newbies because Ican draw nearly everyday and sitll draw terrible, but I believe what I have is really good ideas, coming up with concepts and thumbnails sketchs, but Iwant to learn everything about what makes concept artist so unique and strong in his artworks , potentially.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone own the FZD art book? I collect art books and would like to hear some opinions of this book. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the artbook looks like it has the same artworks that's already on the blog... I don't if I should get them too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a pretty cool looking book. A lot of love has gone into the presentation and cover. I think it's worth having if you collect this kind of thing.

Most of the book is Feng's work. There are some of kingston's and tze wei's works in the same section as feng's, and then there's a section at the end with a bunch of work from us students, but if you're buying this book, you're buying it to get a lot (and I mean a lot) of Feng's work. Its also a book that looks really cool in your library, I think.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    May I ask what is the admission requirements? Do you have to finish High school? Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vak View Post
    Its a pretty cool looking book. A lot of love has gone into the presentation and cover. I think it's worth having if you collect this kind of thing.

Most of the book is Feng's work. There are some of kingston's and tze wei's works in the same section as feng's, and then there's a section at the end with a bunch of work from us students, but if you're buying this book, you're buying it to get a lot (and I mean a lot) of Feng's work. Its also a book that looks really cool in your library, I think.
    Thank you so much! Yeah, Feng is my favorite concept artist and it's only right to have this book in my collection. I'm just gonna wait till they make it available for us because right now the shipping is worth more than the book itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tungwhat View Post
    May I ask what is the admission requirements? Do you have to finish High school? Thank you.
    http://www.fzdschool.com/registration_dip.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I MUST READ! The Feng zhu Book from all inspirations of students and his teaching. Feng zhu reminds me of those good old masters, highly skilled and passionable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eru View Post
    I would love to attend this academy for improvements not for learning how to draw. Actually that is my question do you learn to draw there or would it be better if oyu skills are more high then go there to get even more higher thats what my suggestion is. I think I'm more likely to go to Feng zhu design school or TAD, and this place maybe to learn more of other artists like Jerad s marantz and mike corriero and learn on other things, like Z brush, clay sculpting etc .
    Dude, whatever you do don't take classes with TAD. I did take 2 of their classes and it was basically a waste of money/time. Go to FZD if you have the chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    Dude, whatever you do don't take classes with TAD. I did take 2 of their classes and it was basically a waste of money/time. Go to FZD if you have the chance.
    What didn't you like about it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkins View Post
    What didn't you like about it?
    There was too many students in every class. Half of the class time was spent on the teacher answering questions from students. I uploaded 3 home works for my perspective class and it was NEVER reviewed by the teacher. Elluminate is just not a program to teach art (i don't know if they are still using it). Students were always posting retarded comments on the chat. Comments not related to art or the subject we were studying. It was annoying. That's why I gave up and I started to physically attend art schools like SVA and the New York Academy of Art. Having a teacher next to you and students who are serious about the subject makes the learning process better. That's why I recommended him to go to FZD. In my opinion nothing beats having a teacher right next to you to give you the attention you need.

Last edited by saprissa9; November 29th, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: jgjgjg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    There was too many students in every class. Half of the class time was spent on the teacher answering questions from students. I uploaded 3 home works for my perspective class and it was NEVER reviewed by the teacher. Elluminate is just not a program to teach art (i don't know if they are still using it). Students were always posting retarded comments on the chat. Comments not related to art or the subject we were studying. It was annoying. That's why I gave up and I started to physically attend art schools like SVA and the New York Academy of Art. Having a teacher next to you and students who are serious about the subject makes the learning process better. That's why I recommended him to go to FZD. In my opinion nothing beats having a teacher right next to you to give you the attention you need.
    Hey, Mainly Feng zhu design school but at the moment quite impossible at this point, as it is very expensive and I have to develope maturity skills to be over in another country on my own. I live in New Zealand but here in my country I have been thinking of starting from the begginning for art. Like attending art and desgn courses or/and fine arts. And start learning the foundation. I think this is appropirate to start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eru View Post
    Hey, Mainly Feng zhu design school but at the moment quite impossible at this point, as it is very expensive and I have to develope maturity skills to be over in another country on my own. I live in New Zealand but here in my country I have been thinking of starting from the begginning for art. Like attending art and desgn courses or/and fine arts. And start learning the foundation. I think this is appropirate to start.
    As long as you don't waste your money going to TAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. I have a dumb question. It seems that FZD charges about $42,800 US dollars for the course fees right. So my question is do the miscellaneous, administrative and equipment fees are included or I do I have to add it to the $42,800? I also have to add the amount of money to get a visa and the physical tests. Anyway here is the link to the admission fees

http://www.fzdschool.com/admissions_program_fees.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by babynancy543 View Post
    How can I get a loan and leave the country to go to college?
    What country, what college. Actually it's irrelevant. This really isn't a question you should be asking on an internet forum. Go do your research. Go to a bank and ask. Or, ask google directly.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have some dumb questions you guys. At the FZD website you can see the admission fees http://www.fzdschool.com/admissions_program_fees.html
    My question is, the course fees is about $43 thousand dollars (US). From the $43,000 do I have to add the administrative fees and equipment fees as well? Or is that included.
    Does anybody know someone who is taking the advanced program? How different it is from the 1 year? Is it a thousand times more intense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm planning to go to FZD school on June or (more likely) October 2013. If anyone would be interested in cooperation, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been here since the forum started and I don't think this question has been asked. How hot does it get in Singapore during the summer. I live in NJ and this last summer was total hell for me. Yeah, I can handle cold weather better than hot. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it is always about 80-90degrees f or around 24-32 degrees celcius in singapore the whole year. But most buildings here are equipped with air conditioner so no worries .You would hardly have to step outdoors much. or just stick to the shade We get insane rain though. Thunderstorms brings cooler days

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerferinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not the heat that's the problem, it's the humidity... which makes 90 degrees F feel more like 100+ especially in the middle of the year. Paper will pretty much turn into seaweed if you leave it outdoors long enough.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 305