Feng Zhu School of Design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feng Zhu School of Design

Is there anyone who is attending to FZD and can make a review of it? I'm considering attending there and some comments from students would be great

thanks you so much

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking of attending myself. I made a thread in this sub-forum a while ago - a "Frederick Rambaud" did the short certificate course, but I haven't had the chance to converse with the full time diploma students yet.

I've sent in my portfolio, and am currently getting my documents in order.

I had the chance to talk to Ms. Junying on then phone, and she said that students regularly go to bed at around 2:00AM - so when the webpage says the course is intense - it really is.

Anyway, if there are any full time FZDSchool students out there, I'd like to hear what you have to say/comment on.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi My good friend and studiomate will be attending the school starting this month...I'm very excited for him

He even gave me a link of work from a recent graduate...

http://ericyeo.carbonmade.com/

I really hope I could attend something like this as well...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Yo, I was at the show. i would say a good 90% was pretty sick. A lot of the guys i had talked to were not very good concept designers or artist Prior to Attending, Definitely lacking in The fundamentals. These online portfolios don't do any justice, 95% of the student had a portfolios packed with industry quality work.Fair amount of senior concept artist were in the house and industry scouts were present. Feng seems humble. A few days later I even got the chance to check out a polytechs university portfolio show.. And the 3 year programs portfolios had nothing on the fzd portfolio show..I felt sorry.. Not trying to come off as a fan boy, i'm just relaying what i seen to who ever wants to know.
    They told me get ready to draw all day every day until that shit is wired!.When they say 1 year intensive .. It's a full time gig..expect to get little sleep. Class starts at 10am 2morrow BallaS! IS Any From CA.org in this country now?.. fucking ridiculously amazing country eh!.. (CHICKEN RICE AND TIGER BEER! 5$).. hit me up and lets photo ref Singapore on the little days we get off. Pumped to shit to do this. I guess i gotta do a sketch dump soon.. first post in like 2 years! i will do my best to relay the 1st semester , but don't wait for it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all for ur responses
    hope I can study there someday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phats View Post
    Yo, I was at the show. i would say a good 90% was pretty sick. A lot of the guys i had talked to were not very good concept designers or artist Prior to Attending, Definitely lacking in The fundamentals. These online portfolios don't do any justice, 95% of the student had a portfolios packed with industry quality work.Fair amount of senior concept artist were in the house and industry scouts were present. Feng seems humble. A few days later I even got the chance to check out a polytechs university portfolio show.. And the 3 year programs portfolios had nothing on the fzd portfolio show..I felt sorry.. Not trying to come off as a fan boy, i'm just relaying what i seen to who ever wants to know.
    They told me get ready to draw all day every day until that shit is wired!.When they say 1 year intensive .. It's a full time gig..expect to get little sleep. Class starts at 10am 2morrow BallaS! IS Any From CA.org in this country now?.. fucking ridiculously amazing country eh!.. (CHICKEN RICE AND TIGER BEER! 5$).. hit me up and lets photo ref Singapore on the little days we get off. Pumped to shit to do this. I guess i gotta do a sketch dump soon.. first post in like 2 years! i will do my best to relay the 1st semester , but don't wait for it.
    How much does it cost btw?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tandy1000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    40k for international students

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh hehe hehehehe.
    Seems like mr Zhu wants to retire early.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well Worth the money

Its fun and intense work in the school. In just two months, the stuff they teach, you can figure out to draw anything.

Its very advantageous for those who have drawn for a long time and exposed to concept art prior to attending the school. But any newbie in drawing, with the right attitude and work can evolve quickly.

The way they teach is amazing. Stuff actually make sense because they use science to explain.

Again, its too intense. Just one subjects homework alone fills an entire week to draw. Imagine if you have 5 different subjects that give homeworks. I need to plan my free time so far ahead because of the workload. I sleep at around 6am and go to school before 10am. But its still the most fun I've had.

Its very recommended for those who seriously want to learn to design. But if your like " I want to draw it this way because I feel it looks cool and I don't want to go all through those thumbnail and research processes.". you might have to adjust because you don't get to pick the topics and restrictions.

I was lucky enough to be one of the internaionals that got in... I don't know when they will be open for another batch.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,599 Times in 2,206 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Bard;2780406]Hi My good friend and studiomate will be attending the school starting this month...I'm very excited for him

He even gave me a link of work from a recent graduate...

http://ericyeo.carbonmade.com/

I really hope I could attend something like this as well...[/QUOTE

Is this the average graduating student?

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No Far far far from that... check the website out for more student galleries.

www.fzdschool.com

tnx.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsondf View Post

www.fzdschool.com

tnx.
    The average is better or worse?
    And where are the student galleries on that site?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to gallery then student showcase. http://www.fzdschool.com/gallery_student.htm

How you develop in the school really depends on the students personal effort, like with all things. Time management and commitment is crucial. Some are always better than others.

I thought my architecture background would make Perspective class a breeze but they really hammer it to you once you get there. For the Concept Design subjects usually those who have been exposed to movies, drawing and concept art before comes up with cool looking believable stuff than those who is just being exposed to the industry.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to gallery then student showcase. http://www.fzdschool.com/gallery_student.htm

How you develop in the school really depends on the students personal effort, like with all things. Time management and commitment is crucial. Some are always better than others.

I thought my architecture background would make Perspective class a breeze but they really hammer it to you once you get there. For the Concept Design subjects usually those who have been exposed to movies, drawing and concept art before comes up with cool looking believable stuff than those who is just being exposed to the industry.
    Ow right, had javascript blocked.
    Ok, let's presume students who start from nothing and put in the effort, how high is the quality of the average there?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was lucky enough to be one of the internaionals that got in... I don't know when they will be open for another batch.
    Yeah, I envy you I tried to get in for October, but they said their certificate/license to bring in international students expired/lapsed. They said that February would be possible, but that it's not 100% certain - but still highly likely.

The sleep schedule sounds like hell, but I'm training up for it. I'm going to sleep, incidentally, at 4-6am nowadays, but I still wake up late. Need to get and set up an alarm clock to wake me at 8 or 9am. I don't mind the sleepiness, sounds like a lot of fun and hard work.

Also, Wilson, which term are you in? 1/2/3?

Edit:

Btw, this is my portfolio of 15 pieces that I submitted a few months back, when I was planning on going in the October intake. When I talked to the people at FZD, they said that it was "ok" - but I'm not up to speed (Never was really), with industry jargon. But some people (2 art teachers), said it implies that my portfolio is decent, at least anyway. But I'll leave that for others to judge.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,599 Times in 2,206 Posts
    Follows
    Following

www.fzdschool.com

tnx.
    That looks the same as the work on the website linked earlier. Sorry but I can barely tell any of that work apart. If you told me it was all the same student I might even believe you.

FZ is a good guy so this is nothing personal.

I am going to say this from my own view and perspective. I have had teams of concept artists on hundreds of projects in film games toys etc...and run a concept program here at TAD. My comments will come from experience and from having a concept design school which comes from a different angle entirely.

First, industrial design is important. Being able to design forms is important. Hard surface work is a worthy area of study. In that area, FZD School is doing pretty well. These are just opinions. Take them as you will.

With that said, the work coming out of FZD shows a serious need of focus study in traditional foundations (except perspective), color, light, idea development (especially in the environments and more finished illustrations), knowledge of the human figure (I did not see one well done figure) and personal flair (it all looks like Feng if he were younger). Most of it is overly stiff and mechanical and needing sensitivity that comes from the study of life and nature. The student work far too closely resembles feng's and that should be completely discouraged. The reality is that if someone wants Feng they will just hire him. The art directors at the top do not want the real deal. The only things that are going to set any of the young students apart from the others is their own flavor..their own language of design and media handling and their own vision. I am not seeing that happen in that body of work.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, appreciate the kind comments. I'm just careful on how I answer in the forums, how I reply here is just my personal opinion and no way reflects the school.

The school just entered its first year and for us the fourth batch they just started with Life Drawing classes, so in my opinion I count it lucky because employers are looking for an all around concept artists who can draw humans well too. I think for the first batch they focused to heavily on hard surfaces.

In my opinion, its more of a cram school. I wish it went on longer though. And these tight deadlines can affect the final submitted work.

Basing from the student gallery, as someone exposed to this before I can say that I have seen better work than those from other schools and artists who are self taught. But I can also say my personal work is not yet at the level the senior of my schools have.

Jason, I know where your coming from and I feel do notice it in school. I guess it safe to assume that the school is capable to teach and bring out better results from someone who never drew before.

But for us Asians, it opened a lot of doors. And Singapore is just 3 hours flight to where my country is. And art schools and living expenses in the United States are outside my budget range.

Feng is super honest like. At the start of the first week he tells us about only 10% of a batch gets work right away and not everyone makes it. There is no sugar coating in that school. If your late in class instructors will not even look at your work. And that kind of dicipline I appreciate. I also like the part during Design Class we have to present our designs in front of people.

As a student there, I believe its the best choice for me right now. I've never digitally painted before and even if I know my stuff is still rough. Its way better than before I came to FZD. I'm doing my best so I can have stuff worthy to post here.

Hopefully more schools will pop up in the Asian region. After graduation I might move to San Francisco during my break to check out the cool scene there.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah thank you people for participating on this thread I can't believe that even Jason dropped by
    I agree on fact that there's a lack of personal flair in those galleries, and that there should be figure drawing classes, besides i strongly believe it shouldn't be so hard to include them since there are ways of studying the human body from a design perspective, some call it "structural", some "sculptural" i don't know..., anyway but this also must be complemented with some good life drawing classes in order to avoid getting too geometrical non-natural bodies.
    As for color, light and idea development mmmm I haven't studied that yet hehe so no comments.

I find very interesting and attractive what Wilsondf says about their use of science as a means for developing artwork. Being honest this is what got me to consider FZD an option despite being so far from where I live. Right now it's become harder (if not impossible) for me to study there, but Feng's work inspired me to choose an Industrial Design major that I'll use as a complement while I study art on my own. I know that one day (not so distant) I'll be skilled enough to apply for a TAD Scholarship

Jason from your position as the head of this website and of a Concept Art School, as teacher and most importantly from your own experience what do you think about that dualism of ART/SCIENCE as a means for learning the proper skills to be a successful concept artist/designer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good topic.
    Me I hope a school like that will open in France or Europe because except traditional drawing (of course I like) there's nothing in concept art or 2d field for games/video etc. Because to move in asian or usa to learn it's really beyond my budget. As always France is always late in many things...

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kevlineuh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    France...late in many things??? =/ you definitively have never been to South America my friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Alright.. 1 semester is almost up ..i think about 4 weeks remaining.
    A bit of a low down on FZD .. for those who are international and are thinking of coming

1) its a Design school .. not a art school..
    people should keep that in mind before applying. I look at it as a hybrid industrial design school.. your not painting portraits or anything like that.
    design is key.. we just use art to communicate.

2)its hard.. very hard... fzd lectures expect a lot from each student .. always
    try and over achieve.. with every assignment ... they will definitely call you out if your work is half ass or if your not following directions. never drop the ball! hardness on a sacle of 1 - 10.. for me its a 13..

3.) you won't sleep .. so really our life becomes fzd home work and assignments.. again you came here to study so any commitments or distractions you have its best you shake them early .. gf. bf wives .. ect.. make sure they understand this shit is important to you .
    my current sleep schedule went something like this .. (friday 5pm= 7am catch up on sleep. saturday daily naps but all nighter ..sunday 4am -9am .. monday over nighter .. tuesday 3am -9 am.. wens 5 - 9am Thursday overnighter .. keep in mind at my stage im much slower then some of the younger guys. i have to sacrifice the sleep time ) .. best way for me is just not to think about it period..

4) Gains factor") wilsons right you see drastic gains in your work as well as your level of confidence providing you don't fuck around and waste time.
    remember gotta make those gains!

5)lectures .. they are monsters.. in there abilities . try and absorb as much information from them as you can.. for my self i tend to be much slower then my classmates,and my level is not the best .. but i try and incorporate
    every thing from my classes into each assignment.

6) start drawing as much as possible .. every topic .. not like sci -fi of fantasy .. i mean get a skecth book and draw real world objects and pick a topic like .. i don't know! insects, heavy machinery, anatomy and draw from life as much as possible..

7) don't fall behind always stay ahead.. even if you can't move forward any more .. force your self to push forward .. remember its only one year of your life..

also every one should remember like anything in life there is no guarantees .. just because you study here doesn't necessarily mean you will get hired right out of the gate .. you fully need to understand that .. its up to you to make it happen .. there is no reason why you can't be working now.. you just need to discipline your self way more.. for my self i found fzd is making me more pro then i was prior to attending i still have a long way to go .. i know this .. forever a student. but i feel my confidence level is growing. I'm totally looking forward to the rest of the year! FZD is by far the hardest institution i have ever been too.. but also the most effective..
    best thing you can do is come to the school and talk with them .. find out if this is the place and if so how do i make it happen.

i will try and update more .. but for now my ass has got to get back to work

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by andres333 View Post
    40k for international students
    40k Singapore Dollar (SGD) which is roughly 23,000 Euros or 33,000 USD. Which is affordable for a 1-year diploma I think..

39. The Following User Says Thank You to KingElvis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,
    I'm currently in my final year of my college (The One Academy) and is very interested in this school. I will probably visit it soon, but I need to have an idea of what kind of standard are they accepting for international students... Can someone post their accepted application portfolio?

And, it seems the time table sounds really hard core, though I'd expected it to be much worse than the college I'm in right now. As far as I'd known, 90% of my classmates already practice the sleeping time as Phat mentioned(in my college O_Olll), but I still sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day ><; Guess I need to start adjusting...

Thanks in advance.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to yaoichia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FZD

I guess this school has no place for rookies like me.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    I guess this school has no place for rookies like me.

Hey come on you guys.. the school is about improvement .You gotta look at the positives .Rookies don't know shit so they don't have any bad habits. your cup is empty. you can fill it up with knowledge. Don't get down on your current level.. No matter what always some one better then you.

Yah the school can be intense at times, but its good.. it's this kinda discipline that helps you grow.It's only 1 year too.. 1 year ago i was thinking about going back to school.. time flys!

I think the sleeping thing gets better.. I feel more conditioned in my second semester. Also have a understanding of the standard the Lecturers are looking for.

In the end u submit a portfolio that shows you have some interest in design.
    my feeling is the portfolio is just something to judge your current level, nothing more. Looking back my portfolio seems dated now. I will post links to my work i guess, once my time at FZD is done.

There are a ton of schools out there now that focus on developing skills for the entertainment industry, people have a ton of options. Take the time to find out what your passionate for,Find out what places offer those gains ,then just do it.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was talking with Feng and I asked him if his school, Art Centre accepts people who's not really good at drawing. He said to me, yes what they were looking for were passionate people with some drawing skills because the skills part is what the schools job is to teach.

The same applies with FZD I guess, that's why there are those questions like, which movies/projects would you like to work on and name your favorite artists/designers pop up.

http://www.wilsondf.deviantart.com/ - pretty outdated but I think some of my portfolio stuff I sent the school is in there. hope it helps.

I was lucky to be one of the internationals to get accepted. Inquire on when their license for accepting international student is going to be renewed. or maybe their gathering as many applicants first before scheduling a renew.

Second term is insane.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was talking with Feng and I asked him if his school, Art Centre accepts people who's not really good at drawing. He said to me, yes what they were looking for were passionate people with some drawing skills because the skills part is what the schools job is to teach.

The same applies with FZD I guess, that's why there are those questions like, which movies/projects would you like to work on and name your favorite artists/designers pop up.

http://www.wilsondf.deviantart.com/ - pretty outdated but I think some of my portfolio stuff I sent the school is in there. hope it helps.

I was lucky to be one of the internationals to get accepted. Inquire on when their license for accepting international student is going to be renewed. or maybe their gathering as many applicants first before scheduling a renew.

Second term is insane.
    I'm an international student applying for FZDSchool as well - I couldn't go for the October 2010 intake, as as you've said, the license to bring in international students expired. They said that it hopefully would be renewed by February 2011, and I intend to go for that intake (Deadline for submission is the 21st of January, but talking to Junying, she advised that I submit my documents prior to December's end).

My portfolio when I submitted it about half a year back is here. I'll be submitting an updated one soon as well. I'm also preparing to go to Singapore soon to review accommodations and stuff.

Wilson, are you already attending FZD, or applying like me?

Btw, saprissa, email Jungying Charmaine (Think I butchered her name there) and ask her for 2 PDFs regarding accommodation put together by the Singaporean Government - I got it a couple of days ago when asking about places to stay. And it is very thorough - there are lots of options, ranging from Hostels, Hotels, Private Apartments, Serviced Apartments, etc.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rabbi

yeah already attending since June, but really waited for almost a year since it took awhile for them to get internationals approved.

Hope to see you soon at the school.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there people just wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences and portfolios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FZD

Wilson what kind of work are they making you do??? I would like to know so i can practice. are you working on backgrounds, characters, creatures? thank you. please stay in contact with us and tell us your experience.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to saprissa9 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 298