Theseus versus the Minotaur (Help needed)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Theseus versus the Minotaur (Help needed)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Theseus versus the Minotaur (Help needed)

Fairly new to photoshop and just gotten confident enough to try out a full illustration. Need help with the process. Particularly the color part.

Tried rendering it black and white first and then going over it with a color layer. So far, the colors on the minotaur is a bit well wishy washy. Are the values too light? Or should I just increase the opacity when working on the color layer?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember struggling to find a coloring way that works for me, I suggest you test out different methods to find out what suits your style best.

I gave up the use of color layer because I found it difficult for me to get strong and accurate colors that way. If the grayscale image values get too dark the coloring gets trickier also IMO.

I usually start sculpting the piece with almost full opacity colors straight from the start to get the colors I want even though it's a bit harder to get the values correct when going straight for the color.

The coloring of the minotaur seems a bit bland and the composition is somewhat cramped/forced at the moment so maybe give the piece some more canvas and room to breathe Maybe try a more widescreenish view with the minotaur in a wider/stronger battle stance and more to the right of Theseus?

Not sure if this was helpful but thought I'd share anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you go any further on this, I'd really recommend getting your composition (basically the positioning of the characters and how they're interacting, in appropriate perspective) down. Is that really the canvas you're going with, or is it just a partial crop?
    Right now it's looking like an Odd Couple portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I have to agree with the other crits in advising you to take a step back before you continue. Before you worry about the colors I think you need a solid drawing; that is, I think you need to make sure that the structure of your piece is sound. At the moment you have two static figures, floating in ambiguous space, which do not interact. At this point you could be the most skilled colorist in the world and not be able to get what you want out of this.
    Try building your figures up from a gesture. This should help you alleviate some of the stiffness they currently exhibit. I can see from the angles you placed the figures at that you're trying for dynamism. However, you're treating the human/Minotaur form like a cardboard cut-out. Work with the angles you have for the figures but find the essential movement you'd expect from them, let's see the arch in their backs and the strain in their muscles. Your figures, despite Theseus' sword, don't look like their fighting either. From a quick glance at the piece it seems like the simplest way to account for this is to have your figures break into each-other's space. If Theseus is grappling with the Minotaur and trying to shove his blade home then you're viewer wont have any other choice than to see them interacting and looking like they're really fighting.

I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

5. The Following User Says Thank You to strange1900 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be honest, before I noticed Theseus' sword, I thought they were about to kiss. After, I still wasn't sure, since even with the sword it's a pretty ambiguous pose.

But then, that would make for a much different story.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.