WHAT am I doing...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WHAT am I doing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy WHAT am I doing...

Hello everyone,
    My name is Tiffany and this is my first post on here. I am an Illustration student approaching my last year of school and reality is starting to set in. I do not know what direction I am going job wise. I would love to get into concept design for gaming but I know my work does not show it. I am looking to develop my portfolio so i will have a better chance of landing a job once i finish school. I work traditionally and recently started using photoshop to paint digitally. I have the whole summer off to work on my technical skills. Could someone please help me in guiding me in what programs i should learn and what my next step should be. I have the whole summer to improve and do not want this time to go to waste. Thank you so much

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concept design for gaming = photoshop.
    Though, there do still seem to be some people who work largely traditionally or who got jobs with a mostly traditional portfolio. Most companies probably want you to be able to work in photoshop though. Helps to know about 3d modeling and texturing and such but I'd focus on your 2D portfolio first. You're right, your webpage doesn't show that you want to get into concept design.
    Look through Massive Black's portfolio for an idea of what you need in your portfolio. Or look up some artists from a game company you admire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel by the way, graduating from college I realized I didn't want to do what I thought I wanted to do, and I did not have many pieces or the skills or knowledge that would get me where I now want to be. Its a bummer, and takes some of us longer to figure out than others.

Last edited by Burhtun; June 14th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look around for the "sketchbook" area of the site and start one yourself. Start putting some stuff up in the Crits/ W.I.P. area and the people here can start to take a look were you are. There are a ton of people here who are willing to give you some help.

Just...stay away from the lounge, . . . place is a time pit

Photoshop was a good move. Play around with it and find some settings that you like, then just focus on getting more comfortable with the program. I wanna say that there is a thread somewere for people new to photoshop here on the forums somewere.....

Last edited by Cleverdart; June 14th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Designing is not that much precise these days as even the guys who are not even school passed can do this...I think its better to go into coding part of games as its much payable and have huge growth..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never done professional work, so perhaps somebody else could chime in here, but from what I hear some companies have a tendancy to want multiskilled people. It's like there's more people wanting to do concept art than there are jobs, and if they can hire someone who can also build 3d models and all that, then they will.

Just what I've heard from some places.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zx52hg View Post
    I've never done professional work, so perhaps somebody else could chime in here, but from what I hear some companies have a tendancy to want multiskilled people. It's like there's more people wanting to do concept art than there are jobs, and if they can hire someone who can also build 3d models and all that, then they will.

Just what I've heard from some places.
    It's good to know your way around 3d. Maybe find a friend who'se good @ it and spend some time just getting to know the basics.

I think more importantly than being super multitalented is being good at, at least something. Dont get too bent out of shape over 3d, you'll probably just need to prove your somewhat proficient in it. Just try to get somewhat interested in 3d. Figure out how to model, texture, unwrap, and practice that a bit, but if it's concepts you want to do then by all means focus on that.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.