Concentrating on art... How?!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concentrating on art... How?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concentrating on art... How?!

Hey dudes.
    Perhaps the title sounds like most of the questions, but it isn't like that.

In few post i saw lists like
    -don't listen to music
    -stay away from pc
    -no video games
    -etc.

I think this all sounds great, but computer helps me so much?

As an example you are actually learning how to draw characters. A difficult chapter imo!
    Then you do Anatomy from your Anatomy book, but also drawings for the learned anatomy from a ref photo in the internet, or?

Then you use your computer and often you drift off to other sites...

So, can i also learn only from anatomy book, or should i buy a book with reference photos (which one?)?
    Should i print every day a few ref pictures, then turn off the computer for the rest of the day

What are you thinking?

Silwynar

PS: Argh, sry the post is bit confusing. I hope you get the important things.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just remember that everyone's different and responds to studying in different ways! I personally violate all of those rules.

- I listen to Video Game and Movie Scores (ie Nobuo Uematus, John Williams, Klaus Badelt, Clint Mansell) when I draw.
    - I keep my computer on in case I have to look something up really quickly or scan something and play with it in Photoshop to perhaps find a new approach for the piece.
    - No video games - I play first person shooters for 30 min - 1 hr to work out frustrations I may have from life or from an art piece in particular. I find they are inspiring to look at and serve to be an idle way for my brain to process information.

Your PC can be an excellent resource but also a source of great distraction. You could print reference photos then shut the computer down perhaps? That way it's not a convenient distraction.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it really depends on how self-disciplined you are. I've found recently the internet is a real problem for me and I am easily distracted from work. However when I set limits for myself (don't go to such-and-such site, only spend so long checking/answering e-mail etc.) I find it can be a useful tool.

Your best bet for references are real life and books (as for book recommendations I like this for figural, personally: http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Classic.../dp/0891340971 this is another good one http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-F...d_bxgy_b_img_c ), but hitting up flicker every now and again to look for images for practice dosen't seem to me like it would do much harm if you aren't prone to distraction and know what you are looking for.

Really though your best references will come from life, especially when it comes to anatomy, so getting off the computer and getting out there is always a good bit of advice. Not so much to deprive yourself of the computer (especially if you're a digital artist, heh, hard to do that with the PC turned off), but to instead limit it's use and get out and about and such, I think, personally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you need to reward yourself in art more? If all you do are art studies like anatomy etc it will get boring like a job. So maybe do some studies first then do something cool that pops into your mind. That way you reward your work.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have to simultaneously
    A: follow your own path, while
    B: pushing outside of your comfort zone.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've just gotta figure out what works for you. It's going to be a mix of discipline, reward, and obsession.

The computer is too useful to abandon imo. You could do it with books, but it would be slower going. Look into things like the LeechBlock addon for firefox or the Freedom program for Macs. These will let you shut down the internet for a time, or even just specific websites.

I'd say learn to get into a rhythm though. Do 10 minutes finding refs, then 50 minutes drawing, then 15 minute break (if you get burned out easily). There are infinite ways to handle this, find yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Music is a very different beast from TV or games, many people find music very useful while drawing as long as it's not "parasitic" music designed to grab attention (you know, those catchy tunes which stick into your head for hours or days, they are terrible when you need to focus and dig into your fantasy). I even listen to audiobooks while drawing.

On the other hand you cannot draw while watching TV or playing games, and it's easy to spend a LOT of hours on them out of inertia if you start them up when you are already tired. It all boils down to the time these activities subtract from drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 2