Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year of Drawing - 0 months to go

Thanks

A Year of Drawing - 0 months to go

Hello!

Here goes my first post
    ive been lurking around here for years but it has always seemed a bit big to try and become an active member... well, now i have a reason to do so.
    Until now ive worked mostly with Digital mediums (3d, web design, general photoshopping, etc) but since i tried getting into a certain art school for 3d/animation/concept design and failed for not knowing how to draw properly, ive taken up a goal to learn a bit of life drawing this year. ive always liked drawing but never had the chance to learn it properly.

This is a beginning for a long journey...
    if youre interested, you can view my digital stuff on my hompage here
    and the level of drawing i was at when applying in a pdf here

lets begin!
    like i said, i have no previous experience exept doodling for fun on edges of notebooks in school (been out for a few years)... downside of living in a small city with no art courses

Week 1
    First i picked up a book called "figure drawing for dummies" (horrible brand but i liked the style the drawings were.) so for the first week i did that, followed the exercises, learned to draw different parts of the head and body

then the book lost itself somewhere in my opinion... it told how to draw specific parts but putting them together was rather vague, so i went ahead and tried doing a portrait with what i had learned

and after that the book flew into the corner...

Week 2
    So now i picked up this video from gnomon- figure drawing by Dave Finch
    it's really exellent! The drawing style fits me perfectly and the way he builds up the body really did it for me... ive always struggled to draw a natural figure- i never knew where to start and it always end up like stiff disproportioned log... well, not anymore

ive mostly been following he's progress... only tried my own stuff a few times but so far so good, once im through it il start drawing from my own mind.

and now back to drawing... the week is far from over!

For thread thumbnail:
    Last edited by equilerex; May 10th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow your off to a great start. you may want to try posemaniacs 30 second poses. Posemaniacs.com.
    Keep it up and you will go far

Thanks
    thanks!
    and that link is really nifty.. will definitely try it out after i chew through mr. finch's dvd

Thanks
    Todays scribbles.. a bit little but il try better tomorrow

Thanks
    i wish my studies looked that good haha nice work, keep pushing and you will be great in no time
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    thanks! but unfortunately im just following the video.. il see how well il to tomorrow when il start sketching from my imagination and photos (keeping my fingers crossed)

and in other news, got some more projects rolling...
    making a little video to learn after effects

making props (gun and the outfit) and just finished first part of the storyboard.
    more photos of the build process and finished products on my blog: http://blog.koivistik.com/?p=222

Thanks
    I should check out the David Finch video also. I didn't even know they had a figure drawing video at gnomon workshop. I would say just keep drawing. Your anatomy studies are looking good.

Thanks
    This looks like a really great start, keep it up
    I also have to say that I'm glad you kicked that book you started out with XD it sounds like it was something that basically taught symbols for the different features and that's seldom a good thing, It'll just keep you from creating anything other than a lifeless mask. The video you found seems to be doing much better for you. I would also recommend life drawing of any sort you can manage, as good as the dvd surely is nothing can compare to working from a live model.
    I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

Thanks
    hi equilerex,
    I like your proportion study, you learned it very well!
    Keep it up =)

Thanks
    thanks guys!
    and yeah, il definitely try out drawing from real life once i sharpen my skills a bit more... although it will be just sketching in public places since theres no places around here where you can sketch a model.

well, havent been home much the last couple of days put tried to do atleast something...
    so found some stock photos as reference and did some sketching.. i think its coming along real nice since ive never managed to properly sketch down what i see, something is always out of proportion. The last few weeks have really helped and now i can easily get the rough figure done without any effort... just have to keep learning to refine and detail it
    Attachment 1001569

and today i continued following the dvd for some shading studies.
    Attachment 1001570

Thanks
    Looks good, But I would say streach your self just a little bit, I am sure the dvd is great but try and do some anatomy and perspective from books. Andrew Loomis and Goerge Bridgman (If you didn't already know) are some of the best people to learn anatomy from. But the more sources you can get the info from the better. And remeber (if you didn't already know) not to just copy but really look and feel what you are doing so you can use that in other projects. And drawing from like is (Depending on who you asked) the single most improtant thing you can do while learning, because it teaches you how to turn 3d into 2d and how thing in the world work
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Looks good, But I would say streach your self just a little bit, I am sure the dvd is great but try and do some anatomy and perspective from books. Andrew Loomis and Goerge Bridgman (If you didn't already know) are some of the best people to learn anatomy from. But the more sources you can get the info from the better. And remeber (if you didn't already know) not to just copy but really look and feel what you are doing so you can use that in other projects. And drawing from like is (Depending on who you asked) the single most improtant thing you can do while learning, because it teaches you how to turn 3d into 2d and how thing in the world work
    yep, that pretty much covers what ive been trying to do so far
    just using different sources... last week was a book, now its a dvd and il see whats next. The reason why i like this exact dvd the best is because it fits my style and workflow perfectly and by following it im learning a great deal (ofc its not the only thing il be using since this is like week 3 and theres a whole year ahead...)

And thank you for the the feedback, i definitely keep it in mind
    Last edited by equilerex; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
    its been a while... graduations, birthdays and struggling with motivation but i finally got some stuff done.

I'm pretty much finished with finch's figure and head dvds... it has been fun but i dont think anything can improve my damn heads! so i have mostly following the study and scribbling a bit.

Attachment 1007059

But last night when i tried some shading with a classical 9B pencil i got some ideas!
    Attachment 1007060
    i wanted to try drawing gesture figures or what ever theire called... didnt turn out that well:
    Attachment 1007061
    but i found a way to make use of it...
    Attachment 1007062

the shading seems to become much more simple and straightforward this way... just have to get over my habbit of drawing small.. hard to add detail on a figure 1/4th of an A4
    Attachment 1007063

and did a few more
    Attachment 1007064

this one's to compare my skills with a year ago (army in between) when i made my portfolio....
    Attachment 1007067 vs the old Attachment 1007075

what the hell was i thinking adding this to my school app when i managed to make the one above with a month of studying?? to make it worse i gave in like 30 of these crappy scribbles

ah well, got 12 months until retry... got to keep drawing.
    on another note... when making the progress shots i noticed that comparing the drawing with the stock photo really gives a good overview of what went wrong... seems like im drawing my legs and hips too short and narrow :/

have been reading a bit of bridgamn- a bit too heavy for me but il get there... got to take up a book now that im through the videos (ah, well, still got one for hands n feet.. havent learned that at all... never... ever!)
    Last edited by equilerex; June 26th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast