Looking for advice on college majors

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Looking for advice on college majors

Hello. I'll be a college freshman in the US come August. The university I will be going to offers Studio Art and Graphic Design as its only art majors. Naturally, I'm wanting to be a concept artist for either the game or film industry. I've read that illustration would be the best major option for an aspiring concept artist, but at the moment that is out of the question. The university (Florida State) offers BFA degrees in both of the aforementioned majors. Now, I know degrees aren't of the utmost importance in art careers, but I'm curious as to which major would best benefit me in development of the skills I need to be a concept artist. I'm thinking Studio Art would be better since it entails drawing mechanics and the like. I would just have to familiarize myself with Photoshop outside of class in that case, since Studio Art probably wouldn't involve graphics.

I'm not sure though. So I ask you guys because I know you're top notch artists who have far more experience and insight than I do. So what would be my best bet, Studio Art or Graphic Design?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I don't know the particular program, studio art is probably a better bet. Though going to a different schools is probably a better bet than either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    While I don't know the particular program, studio art is probably a better bet. Though going to a different schools is probably a better bet than either.
    I agree. The name of the degree doesn't mean anything if the education is sub par. I'd ask to see where their graduates are working and what they're doing with their degrees.

Understand that once you're out of school, you're going to have to compete at a professional level and not just be the best thing in that particular school.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.