places to study in the UK?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

places to study in the UK?

Ok so, i've been out of education for a few years and currently got onto an access to higher education course, that course itself held pathways through fine art or graphical design and i've chosen fine art which i feel was the right choice for the career i'm aiming for of being a games concept artist and freelance illustrator.

But what i'm really curious about is what kind of universities should i be aiming for once i've completed my course. I want to do illustration and i've currently viewed open days at UWE after hearing many good things, and Northampton. Both of which impressed me immensely.

I was just wondering what experience others may have had or any pointers you might have, such as specifics tutors at certain unis look for in a portfolio, life drawing etc.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    How were UWE and Northampton? I haven't heard/considered them so it would be nice if you could share some of your personal pros/cons?
    Well UWE and Northampton both had impressive facilities, and a friendly student body. There only seemed to be a few noticable differences.

UWE was a university that spread across all of Bristol, it felt more like the city itself was part of the structure. The facilities were clean and the work inside was very impressive. Also the Illustration facility itself was spread apart from any of the other campuses on the 4th floor of a building near the city centre above an exhibition centre.

Northampton on the other hand had all it's art facilities on one campus alone, the spaces given for each student seemed a bit larger than that of UWE though, being about 2 metres per person. However i still haven't seen enough of Northamptons city centre to know how useful it would be to potential at students.

All in all i would have to say Northampton seems more geared towards a childrens book illustrator while UWE seems slightly more professional.

We did go see Hertfordshire also, but everything about it was so shockingly bad i didn't really feel it was worth mentioning.

tbh i'm more partial to UWE but that's just me

EDIT: sorry spoonerman here, logged into my gf's account who also came visiting the facilities with me, thought i'd clear that up lol

My sketchbook challenge
    Keep up to date with my daily uploads
    My Deviantart
    all of my other art uploads! featuring furry stuff and traditional
    My IFX entry
    My WIP for Imagine FX's febuary forum contest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Spoonerman,

I'm currently a 3rd year Illustration student at UWE, although ive got about a week left until im technically not a student.
    Hmm, my opinions of UWE are a mixture really. Some parts I don't really like while others I do.
    First of all the tutors are fantastic and critting work, they really know their shit. They always spot something that I need to improve upon that I would never even consider. If you ask the correct questions you can learn alot from these guys.
    My main complaint is that there isnt really any teaching of technical drawing and painting. We had about 10 weeks of painting from life and that was probably it for the whole 3 years. The 10 weeks were geat mind, but pretty much all of my technical skills I have learned myself.
    However what I eventually learned was that they werent teaching you how to draw and paint, everyone can learn that (to a certain degree). They are pushing more of a contextual understanding. Content in the image that makes it sit together, stand out or whatever. It's difficult to describe. It's about making you think.

For submitting a portfolio, the first thing I would suggest is no manga. I think this will probably apply to other unis too. In your portfolio you need. Sketchbooks, to show your visual process, It's a key to the mind as it shows how you think. You need some good life drawings, observational and all that.
    You want to show images that just generally interesting. Ive seen the portfolio reviews and believe me the tutors have a short attention span. You want to get their interest in an instant

Hope this helps

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.