Sketchbook: Danea's Sketchbook Journey
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Danea's Sketchbook Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Danea's Sketchbook Journey

Hey there . Welcome to my sketchbook.

Well after a lot of thought and people telling me to get a sketchbook here, I finally created one.
    I am a current art student at RMCAD majoring in illustration. I am always looking for critiques, comments, ect. to help me with my art. I want to improve more and it seems like a good way I can do that is from the people here. I really appreciate any help that anyone has to give me.
    My art mainly consists of animal illustrations/ nature art, character designs, and school work. My plans after college are to eventually go into animal illustration, character/ creature design, and other concept art.

Please scroll down to see most recent stuff please .

Here is my art blog and my DA if anyone is interested:
    Art Blog
    DA

Here is piece that I did for an art festival that never sold. It might be one of my best watercolors, but I still think it could use some help. Help is appreciated ! And yes, a reference photo was used.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wolffang101; August 13th, 2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Make it more professional
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, there! Ooh... nice texture! The eyes are bugging me for some reason - they feel off in size and positioning, as though they're sitting on a flattened human-style face instead of in the sockets of a lupine skull. Double-check the reference, and maybe look for a few more refs from slightly different angles. Also, the pupils read as different sizes to me. (Just MHUndereducatedO, though...)

Keep at it!

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much ^__^! I really appreciate it!
    Yeah, now that I look at it more and such, I agree. The do seem a little big and too flat for a canine. I think the are a bit more rounded or something in the reference. I will try to look at some other references too.
    I think I will try to see if I can fix the pupils . I agree that they seem like different sizes.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I am alive ^^;. Sorry for the extreme lack of posting. A lot of things just suddenly popped up into my life. It has been really hard to draw lately because of everything .

Anyway, this is my most recent pic. It was a character design for a friend's contest on DA. I tied for first.
    Now I would of done sooooo much more with this if I didn't have so much going on D:. I would of done a full character sheet given the time and such. But unfortunately this is all I could do .
    I am trying to experiment more with contrast and such. I didn't do much here, but more than some of my earlier works. I know it could use some more though x.X. I mainly focused on anatomy. This thing is part canine/ Anubis, llama, goat, phantom/ ghost, feathered serpent, and storm.

Please critique . I could really use some more help on anatomy and contrast with this. Paint overs are always welcome too .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help Please

This is a WIP commission piece. It's a female lion cub and a Clydesdale horse.
    I am really looking for help with anatomy on this one D:. Some of it just doesn't seem right. It is a tattoo commission, so I really don't want to mess up on the anatomy and such.
    Critiques/ paint overs welcome!

Sorry for the bad scan x.X.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Improvement!

Ok... I seriously didn't realize how much I have improved my thinking and understanding about my art till I did this >>;.
    This is a redo of a traditional piece I did back in spring semester. It is of a character of mine hunting in the trees.
    It is basically a detailed paint-over of the original. I painted over the original traditional piece in Photoshop. This is also my first time really working in Photoshop and finishing a piece with my new Intous 4 .
    Now her tattoos are suppose to glow, but I didn't know how that would work in this piece, so I left the glow out. If you think I should put the glow in there let me know .

Please critique! Paint overs are always welcome too !!

Here is the original: http://wolffang101.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2pnsaq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that's beautiful, the stronger colours makes it much more better. I would love to see a complete digital piece though. C:
    I'm too un-experinced to offer critique but to say; keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aquaticdog: Thank you ! I am glad you liked it. Sorry for the late reply x.X. Got caught up in school.
    I have been working a lot digitally lately, so I might post some digital peices, but not till I get better ^^;. I am mainly a traditional artist, so yeah.

Anyway, sorry it's been so long since I have posted something D:. I really got caught up in school, so yeah. I will probably be posting some stuff here gradually till school starts again on the 3rd .

Here is a graphite piece that I had to do in my pencil class d:. We had to do 4 small images of the same room, but there had to be something different with each piece. I choose to do a business meeting with animals. Simple idea, but I thought it would be fun to mess around with photos I had taken from the zoo at the time, so yeah. Hope you all enjoy. I thought I would post this before it was watermarked for other sites. All the other pieces in the next few days will probably be watermarked x.X. Sorry about that in advance!

Sorry for the horrible photo by the way DX!! My camera isn't the best.

Paint-overs and critiques are ALWAYS welcome ^__^!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The wolf at the beginning looks great. The fur looks real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm alive and ready for some new art.

Thank you so much !

and YAY! I promise, I really am alive xD. I just got done with finals at school and am now on break. Over the break I shall be posting a lot of my. I plan on getting more into this site, and I can't wait to get everything I've done over this past year up here. I've improved a lot and I've finished that horse and lion drawing a while ago, so I think it's time to post that xD.

Can't wait to be more active here. I'll probably start posting art sometime tonight or tomorrow. I have to edit the photos first d:.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Sorry for the delay in posts .

Anyway here are a couple more pieces from this year in my classes.

The first one is called Secrets. It's an illustration in graphite pencil that we had to have a suitcase in. This is what I came up with d:. One of my creatures coming into a cave looking for a suitcase that is guarded by this dragon.
    Sorry for the horrible photo Dx. It's really hard getting photos of graphite.

The second one is that creature, called an Ewuhakas d:. This is the very first sculpture I've ever done, and I had a lot of fun with it. As a creature designer, that is probably a good thing xD. Anyway the creature is part eagle, bunny, elk, horse, and lion. He has just stopped in a river to look at something behind him.

Finally the 3rd piece is that finished tattoo with the horse and Clydesdale shown above . Thanks to a TONNNN of help here on CA, it finally got done. This is my first time trying anything like this, so I hope it came out alright.

Any critiques and paint overs are welcome at any time! Thanks .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More update

Well here is some more arts from this last year at school.

The first one is a creature design I did for life drawing. This is the first creature I've created a full sheet for so yeah. Suggestions and critiques would be great. I will post more creatures for sure this summer.
    The next two are graphite drawings. One of an orange playing a trumpet and the other of a creature of mine that is hunting a deer in a snowy forest.

Then a scratchboard drawing of a wolf playing a trumpet (I like trumpets if you can't tell xD). I know this one needs a bit of work, so I would really like some help on that. Maybe I should edit it in PS and probably get a better scan or photo of it? There is a TON of detail that can't be seen here.
    The last one is a still life acrylic painting I did of some class and ceramic items in class. I tried to create some kind of story with it. Probably my best painting I've done so far. I'm not much of a painter so yeah ^^;.

There will be more art to come. Working on pieces for the Colfax Music and Arts Festival in June and I am taking animal anatomy this summer, so yeah . Can't wait to post sketches and others stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Busy busy needing help

I'm alive, I promise. I just got done with an art festival last Sunday and life still hasn't slowed down for me. Well I will be posting some more actual sketches from my animal anatomy class, and more character design stuff soon.

Right now though, I really wanted to share some of my animal illustration. I did this piece for the art festival on Sunday. It was never sold. It's probably one of my best pieces, but I do know it needs a lot of work. I just don't know how to fix what is wrong and how to point out those things D:.
    I would really love to have some input about this. What do I need to work on? Tell me what's wrong. I love watercolors, so I would love to improve in them from this.
    Paint overs and such are welcome

Thanks ,
    Danea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Wolffang,
    I think you're making nice progress already, but there is also much to learn.
    Just keep on painting, drawing, studying: anatomy, composition, light...
    (i know, we could all use a little practice, me too, so practice!)

About your last piece with the bear:
    The composition is ok, the bear looks good!
    I think the area that needs some work is the background; say, the bottom half is good, the top half needs to be lighter.
    The mountains in the distance are too dark, too much contrast with the sky, in the places that are furthest away. Deeper regions in your painting should have toned down colors, less contrast, less heavy dark or light areas.
    Also, the clouds seem an afterthought, something not yet finished.
    That area also brings down the quality of an otherwise fine painting!

I hope this helps. Now, paint!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon:
    Thank you so much for you reply . It helped a lot. And don't worry, I'm practicing. I try and draw every day and work on projects. I think a few speed paints in PS and quick sketches will help me with my lighting though. That's something that I have a real hard time with.

Thank you! I agree that the mountains are way too dark. I made some mistakes and then got way too caught up in them, thus making them wayyy too dark. I think if I went over them with some water and a paper towel to bring some paint up it might help? The same with the clouds maybe to make them a bit more fluffy? Now that I look at the clouds again they do look a bit of an after thought and not finished. The line from the masking is a bit too harsh I think. There is a bit too much contrast in many places, so next time I will try to tone them down slightly. That way maybe the background will blend a bit more to bring out the figure.
    And I'm glad the bear looks good . That was probably my fav part to do because of the fur.

Thank you again ^_^! That really helped.
    *goes to paint d:*

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wolffang101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a piece that I still need to work on a bit more, but I did it for the art festival. Critique as you like . It needs a TONNN of work I think.

Also here are some progress sketches for a creature I did for a contest on DA. I can't really post the final product here till July 7th, so I thought I would just post some silhouettes and head sketches for it. I based the jaw sort-of off of a snake jaw. Sorry for the cropping on the silhouettes D:, it scanned in wrong.

More designing stuff coming soon .

P.S. You get a cookie if you can read my handwriting xD lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Progression

Just some images of my progression of my creature design for my animal anatomy class final . The first 3 images are basically the full design without the creature's pattern. It is combination of a leopard, a tapir, and a giraffe. The images after that are of some of my progress.
    The last image is progress of an illustration that I'll be doing with the creature. I will be making a character concept for the one in the illustration .
    Also my teacher did sketch some things on my progress images. Where the creature is in the final pose I'm doing, my teacher did help me figure out some stuff, so he did draw on it. Yeah... all that good anatomy stuff in that image is his doing xD lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final projects

Long time no see here xD. Anyway here are my final projects of my creature design and illustration for my animal anatomy class during this summer. I'll post many sketches that were done over the summer in that class later .

The Lopari is a combination of a leopard, a giraffe, and a tapir. The Lopari is a carnivore and is a bit bigger than a normal leopard. It's a odd-toed creature like the tapir and it's hoof-like claws retract in it's front paws. With its pattern, I combined a leopard and giraffe spots as well as the stripes of a baby tapir.
    I do have a long story about it, but for the most part it's explained in the description in the design. It is endangered, because the Wiric had moved into it's habitat and has hunted them and their food supply to where it's hard for them to survive.

In the illustration I created a character and tried to show how hard it is for the creature to survive. s a worn down, scruffy, old one with scares showing his fights and battles with the Wiric creatures. He is also very strong though since rarely do these creatures survive to be this old these days.
    He is chasing an elephant shrew like animal to show that even though the Lopari needs a lot of food to survive, due to the Wiric, it usually can only find small creatures to hunt. Because of this, Loparis are constantly hunting around for new food.

I hope you all like and critiques are very much appreciated! Paintovers are welcome too. Sorry for the long explanation, but I put so much time trying to create this thing, so yeah ^^;.

~Danea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you become familiar with creature anatomy

it' time to do some epic creatures and illustrations with them

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    takashmen: Thank you . I agree and I do have a design that I want to work on that's more epic than the things I've done before. I'm excited to do something more with my designs and illustrations ^^.

Here are some of the studies that I did in my animal anatomy class at the zoo and the museum. . I think I've really improved over the semester, but I'm looking for more help and improvement. The birds and reptiles were done at the very end of the semester, and I think it shows.
    Critiques and feedback are much appreciated .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.