Does meditation help rebuilding motivation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Does meditation help rebuilding motivation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does meditation help rebuilding motivation?

I wonder if I posted a similar thread before but...no, it's not likely. I came up with this idea fairly recently.

I was a pretty well-motivated artist until the beginning of 2005. Then I was struck with a shocking event that caused a catastrophic depression, which caused unbearable psychosomatic pain. The pain was so severe that I attempted suicide in 2007. I survived and the pain was gone.

But the motivation never came back. Now I am 34 and finally graduated Cal State Fullerton this Spring/May. I don't know what to do beside going to figure drawing workshop. I am a fairly good draughtman, but I suck at everything else. I am considering building a portfolio to apply for a training program in Disney, and before that I plan to attend Concept Design Academy this Fall. I missed the Summer semester. Hopefully I can get enough amount to settlement from my major car accident to finance the classes at CDA.

But, without some proper, and direct guidance I can't do anything by myself. I don't know what to draw or paint. Somehow I signed up for the color comp class by Bill Perkins coming week, I simply don't have the will and motivation to draw or paint anything.

But I don't want to give up art.

It would be nice if there's a pill that gives me the willpower to do what I want to do, but I don't see anything like that. I tried 5-HTP, but my brain quickly adapted into it. So I am looking into meditation. Meditation, with only a few sessions, helped me get rid of my chronic insomnia caused by the shocking event in 2005. I wonder it will cure my lack of motivation, too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meditation can be a powerful tool. You should stick with it. It is not an instant cure-all, though; in fact I'm surprised you've gotten such quick results. When the benefits become less dramatic, don't get discouraged. Maybe try a few different styles, but keep following where it takes you and you will be happier and more at home in your own skin. As to whether it will motivate you to draw, I have no idea ;-)

What kind are you doing? Zen, Yoga, Insight, TM?

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it could actually work, its amazing how powerfull meditation can be.

try it and let us know ok? good luck!

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeymao View Post
    Meditation can be a powerful tool. You should stick with it. It is not an instant cure-all, though; in fact I'm surprised you've gotten such quick results. When the benefits become less dramatic, don't get discouraged. Maybe try a few different styles, but keep following where it takes you and you will be happier and more at home in your own skin. As to whether it will motivate you to draw, I have no idea ;-)

What kind are you doing? Zen, Yoga, Insight, TM?
    I prefer Buddhist one. TM has too much mysticism in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to agree. A nice Zen or Tibetan Buddhist tradition is a good way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, don't mean to pry too much into your life at all.. but maybe you're still dealing with some of the pain and you just became numb to it.

Traumatic events can cause you to kind of shut down your emotional circuits and somatize the pain to cut yourself off from feeling it. You might need to dig deep and release that negative energy before you can unlock your passion again. IDK if that helps but is just how your post struck me.

Also, trying to take on the "things you suck at" might help. If you can generate a few small wins in a new area it might put some new wind in your sails. Routines can be great because we can be "satisfied" but rising right outside of your comfort zone is where you grow. There's no shame in being bad at something new to you. The shame comes when you let fear control you and stop you from doing the things you want.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Other Weird Therapies

Wow, gogidolim. That's tough. Can relate, as I've had a similar experience. I'm glad you made it.

I've never done mediation, so I can't speak from experience there. Worth a try, though, eh? And do let us know how it goes.

In case you're looking for additional strategies, I'm gonna list a few things I've found helpful with issues such as yours.

Since you're into alternative therapies, you might find Julia Ross's book, The Mood Cure, enlightening. There's more to this stuff than 5HTP, though that can be really helpful if one needs it. Here's her website. Can't recommend this book highly enough.

Another more unusual therapy is EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), a.k.a. MTT (Meridian Tapping Technique). It's basically acupuncture without needles. Here's the founder's site. And here's the, uh, trailer? I dunno. It's a video, anyway. There are other tutorials on youtube (this one explains the tapping points especially well). Honestly, though, I wonder if, since you've had a traumatic experience, it might be wise to find an EFT Practitioner to guide you, if you decide to try it.

The King Institute Method is similar to EFT/MTT, in that it helps get one's energy flowing correctly again. I recommend the Median Sequence. Helps me with energy during the day, restfulness at night, and other random symptoms.

Anyway, whether any of that is right for you or not, I hope you're able to find relief. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Instead of spending time on meditation, spend that on 1 hour of blind contour drawing. It's like meditation, only better (since it improves your eye-hand coordination at the same time).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.