thanks for C&C

Name:  man_1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  91.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi There, this is a pretty good start. From here I think you should do some skin studies. Try to get a better grasp on how skin folds, looks, etc. This image is a bit creepy in the sense that he looks like he is wearing a skin suit, like its not real skin. I think the other part that stands out to me right away is the face and hair. The hair looks like it was done quickly. Thats not what hair looks like unless you have strange hair. Some people do. I suggest doing some studies specifically focused on hair. That goes for the face too. Something is not natural about it. It doesnt have human quality to it. I suggest looking up other artists to see how they achieve it. My favorite for that is michaelangelo. He makes amazing sculptures that would help you plus the faces. The thing i like about old artists like that is that their definition of art was purely beauty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from what Sunny already said, I think another big thing you could take focus on is getting an overall sense of lighting. Keep in mind where light sources are coming from and then do your value shading accordingly. Right now, the drawing just doesn't have a sense of unified lighting, which is making his skin look splotchy in places.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start dealing with edge control: hard to soft edges. Right now, there's a lot of soft where it ought to be harder, like on the outer contour of your forms. Also, a lot of your softer tones are "hairy" and inconsistent, like the primary shadow running through the (viewer) right leg. Remember, tone change = form change, and vice versa. When you make a tonal mark, you are describing the surface normal (direction in 3-dimensional space) in relation to the light.

I like the general gesture and positioning of forms in space, as well as proportion. I definitely agree with Sunny in regards to checking out older figurative sculpture, and figure out how you can mimic those real bronze/marble forms with your brush.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the others.

I will wrote about anatomy flaws because I'm still a beginner but I can spot some of them. I don't know if merely giving a list helps but I hope so.

Strange but never mentioned the lower body is definitely smaller than the upper. It's very disturbing to me.

His right forearm is too long and his cranium has an unnatural shape or his hair is extremely tricky and has various length... His head looks weird this way.
    The foot and both hands could be better as well... And something is wrong with his left (our right) shoulder. Use a reference and if you did, study it better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.