Constructing and creating armor/clothing on a character
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Constructing and creating armor/clothing on a character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Constructing and creating armor/clothing on a character

How do you go about doing it?

I find it a bit time consuming, more than the character itself for example. Is that common in conception of fantasy type characters for any of you?

What methods can you suggest for making the process smoother or more successful?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i kinda build a pose that i like and proportions that are cool and then i lay abstract shapes on top and kinda develop the clothes and armour from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend looking at real armour. Medieval armour got where it was at the end of the period through hundreds of years of warfare. A lot of the armour I see in fantasy seems like it would actually be dangerous to wear, with so many bits on which weapons could catch or snag.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes good point, just so much armor is boring as it is real lol. I see your point though,

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Real armor is boring? My advice is also to look at real armor. It might be hard in California to find something. Maybe if you took a trip to San Fransisco or LA, there might be a museum or something. Hollywood might have a prop museum. Armor is a complex, mechanical design, emulating all the joints of a human. It's hard to understand what you're seeing from a photo, so seeing it live really helps.

But still, look through some photos, look through your favorite artists' designs. I really like some of Larry Elmores work. Get inspired, do some sketches.

Plan your designs based on the kind of warrior you're designing. What aspects matter most? Strength? Power? Speed? Agility? Moving quietly?

Then, what weapons will the warrior use, and what armor will best fit with that? What time period are you considering? Finally, how much ornament, and what kind?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dover-Publications -C. Grafton: Ancient-and-Medieval-Arms-and-Armor. Check it out. It's easy to find online, good reference material. It's good to understand how realistic armor works before abstracting it into the fantasy realm, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medieval armour is fascinating if you get into it. There's a lot of changes as the years go on and many different designs. Those big suits of armour everybody thinks of are only part of it, and they aren't as cumbersome as the stereotypes go.

You haven't lived until you've seen a guy in a full plate harness doing cartwheels like an acrobat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The art of armor is not boring, has never been. If you feel so then why do you want to get into it in the first place?

to address your question, besides looking at photos of actual armors, look at conceptart for fantasy games, fantasy movies, etc. There are tons of resources out there, more than enough to light some sparks.

Most importantly, look at nature, Insects, armored creatures. You would be amazed to see how brilliantly constructed some of their carapaces are.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post
    , look at conceptart for fantasy games, fantasy movies, etc. There are tons of resources out there, more than enough to light some sparks.
    This.

Go to www.tesnexus.com, spend an afternoon looking through the Armour/Weapons & Armour categories, download the screenshots, study and analyze them, that should help.

But currently, the Nexus series of websites are down for some reason (As of this writing). Check the site in a couple of hours or a day or so.

This is for fantasy armour, mind you. If you're looking for post apocalyptic, the nexus sites have that as well. www.fallout3nexus.com

Edit: Nvm, sites are back up.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post
    The art of armor is not boring, has never been. If you feel so then why do you want to get into it in the first place?
    To clarify, in my opinion, a lot of actual armor is boring in its appearance when compared to fantasy armor.

I found some sights with cool reference as well.

What technical approaches anyone uses when creating their images is what I am mostly interested in.

Thanks for the input so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    It's good to understand how realistic armor works before abstracting it into the fantasy realm, I think.
    Yes, very true. I used to make abstract shapes basically and then try to get them to work on the character which really doesnt work unless you are just roughing out a silhouette or thumb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post

Plan your designs based on the kind of warrior you're designing. What aspects matter most? Strength? Power? Speed? Agility? Moving quietly?

Then, what weapons will the warrior use, and what armor will best fit with that? What time period are you considering? Finally, how much ornament, and what kind?
    Good things to keep in mind, thanks

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jeris82 View Post
    To clarify, in my opinion, a lot of actual armor is boring in its appearance when compared to fantasy armor.

I found some sights with cool reference as well.

What technical approaches anyone uses when creating their images is what I am mostly interested in.

Thanks for the input so far.
    Most people creating fantasy armor usually had to look at real armor as well as fantasy armor. If they just went off fantasy armor, it looks more like a copy of someone's design or stops looking believable because they didn't understand the basics of armor. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but about every good believable design I've seen was someone who dug into history and looked at real armor.

It's actually the same process as creating fantasy creatures. It's not just looking at what everyone did to make a dragon but looking at "real boring" animals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.westkingdom.org/

Go on a reference taking field trip to an SCA event. You should be able to get a good range of armour samples from different time periods (600ish AD -1500ish) and most fighters would be happy to pose for pictures or let you take photos of individual pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jeris82 View Post
    Everything's boring when you know very little about it.

Cars, for example. Basically boxes on four wheels. Some go faster than others and they come in different colours. If I had my way all cars would be theme cars because a car covered in ferns is way more exciting than the box you drive off the car lot. However, judging by the way my guy friends talk, lots of people would disagree with my opinion.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.