Sketchbook: Malidore's Musings

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Malidore's Musings

I'm such a loser for not making a sketchbook yet, lets fix this. A few things from recent sketchbooks:

This one wasn't horribly sketchish, but hey, it was fun!
    Name:  004.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  265.1 KB

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  247.8 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  242.2 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  372.4 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  255.8 KB

Again, not a sketch, but fun to do
    Name:  006.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  232.3 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  261.0 KB

More to come as I get spare time. Maybe I'll do some actual studies soon....

Last edited by cmalidore; July 1st, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love these sketches, the one with the warrior and the rock like monster seems to really stand out to me- really fluid and dynamic!

Don't feel like a loser, I can never regularly update my sketchbook it seems!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that one too, but it bugs me that they're planted so firmly on the ground, the guy should be moving more... but hey, maybe next time

Yeah, I usually forget about these things, which is why I kept putting it off.... but I figure some feedback and having a reason to sketch more would at least a lil beneficial for once. Not like it'll hurt to try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, looks like I have a moment to plop up some more...

One I keep meaning to turn into an actual picture but I never get the time, oh well. I've got a few different sketches on this subject, but I like this one the most so far...
    Name:  012.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  284.8 KB

The right most figure became an oil piece a lil while back, may post that up if I can ever get a good photo of it.
    Name:  011.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  431.6 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  378.1 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  283.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more before I head off to band practice...

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  272.1 KB

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  344.9 KB

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  269.4 KB

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  371.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boring dragon? Check
    Name:  017.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  235.8 KB

A lil sci-fi crash landing scene that I greatly enjoy but will likely never get to
    Name:  018.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  231.1 KB

And a no prize to which ever lovely person knows what Lovecraftian horror this was a study of...
    Name:  019.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  212.2 KB

I think tonight I'll probably do some studies, haven't done any real anatomy focus work in a lil while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having a crappy day, figured I may as well dump some work in here. I always feel like I should drop sketches in here, but all in all, a collection is more of what a sketchbook is, from unrefined to fairly.... so I'll go with it.

Work from awhile ago that I never really put anywhere... why not here? An oil piece for a CCG. I seriously need to get better at my oil painting...
    Name:  _ffg_doubloon.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  213.8 KB

Recent piece for a pulp horror game
    Name:  dark ritual.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  150.6 KB

My band's album cover - in progress. Sorry for the white edges, I just extended the canvas out for some breathing room on the left side, it was too cramped! If there's any crits for this piece, I sure won't turn em down
    Name:  dw_progress.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  186.1 KB

Working on my penguin revolution series.... this time it will be penguins versus zombies. Will you be ready for the zombie apocalypse? They are.
    Name:  zday.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  163.0 KB

Recent book cover thang. Not one of my favorites, didn't have the sort of playing room I prefer, but it worked well enough - I can't complain too much.
    Name:  Malagon_v2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  369.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude nice your from Washington too!
    The band picture, I think you should push the values more, the background and the creature are close to the same values, try and make your darks darker and the lights lighter. Though now that I look at it the light sources don't match very well with the shadows. But not everything needs to be followed that way. The boy (girl maybe? lol) not very clear where he plays in to the whole point of the image, he kinda fade off, If hes meant to be looked at then I would make him pop me, maybe make him bigger or something. Hope this helps in some way! surprised only 1 other person commented!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    hey dude nice your from Washington too!
    The band picture, I think you should push the values more, the background and the creature are close to the same values, try and make your darks darker and the lights lighter. Though now that I look at it the light sources don't match very well with the shadows. But not everything needs to be followed that way. The boy (girl maybe? lol) not very clear where he plays in to the whole point of the image, he kinda fade off, If hes meant to be looked at then I would make him pop me, maybe make him bigger or something. Hope this helps in some way! surprised only 1 other person commented!
    Always nice to meet another WA artist, there seems to be a large amount of us around here. I appreciate your critique, I've been a little under the weather lately and it's not helped with the painting process.... I may hold off on the image until next week when I'll likely be able to think more clearly. Foggy brain doesn't help values apparently! The figure (will be a girl - far too loose right now, obviously) will play a bigger role when all is done, so far I've been mostly trying to hit my compositional elements more than anything. Hopefully next time I update I can share a little more refined story telling on that aspect.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris,

Always loved your confident sketchings. Every time I see them it makes me want to draw on paper again... ... . So I will .

Keep updating with all you've got, if you've got time.

Lookin' good man.

AND you should totally render out the cockpit scene from the first post.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the kind words.... graphite was always the thing I felt more comfortable doing... after a bad day, it was always pencils that I found got it all out of my system.

Can't do any updates yet, but hopefully soon - major deadlines are sorta destroying what I can show publicly... NDA's suck sometimes heh. And no spare time means no real sketches to share.

But soon!

And yeah, I wanna do that cockpit one bad haha. It just looks like fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work those pencil sketches are very detailed, dynamic and very fluid. Inspirational stuff. Thanks for the treat.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JAB!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cmalidore, thanks for posting all the sweet drawings! your pencil sketches as most have said show a great deal of confidence, and they really shine. your finished pieces, while really good, dont have the same effect. every pencil piece has excellent composition. you really make great use of the space. they just FEEL right. your finished pieces on the other hand feel just a little imbalanced. if you could use your sketchbook composition skills in your finished pieces, you'd be unstoppable!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan a. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JAB: Thank you very much!

Ryan: Hey thanks for all of the nice words, it's very appreciated. I have noticed this.... I have a strong inconsistency with even my finished work.... it doesn't feel as powerful as the sketches, and even then, it ranges too broadly. A lot of my current stuff on NDA is better than what most of you get to see.... but even so, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that needs that tightening. I BELIEVE that the issue is that many of my things that go to final lately are getting faster sketches, and that perhaps I'm not spending as much time on the foundation stage as I normally do when just brainstorming for fun. So that's my new project for this fall

Thanks again folks, I can't wait to really dive into my sketchbooks again soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, I was stuck at a bar a week or so back while watching my girlfriend's friends drink..... thus stranding me from work. Whats a guy to do? Play in the 'ol sketchbook!

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  433.1 KB

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  408.8 KB

Second guy's face is a lil flat, but oh well.... if I get bored I may adjust that.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the penguins - I wouldn't mess with them. How did the band cover turn out in the end? Glad you updated.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very little has happened on the album cover - with me pushed against a large gaming book deadline I had to put it on a momentary hiatus.... which isn't a problem considering vocals aren't done being recorded anyway. No sense in packaging unfinished material.

I've started to consider shifting the image to a different view though for a dynamics boost. Thinking of a "from the ground up" view for that immense scale (and because that level straight on view bugs me). But we'll see, too many ideas too little time to play with them right now.

EDIT: I totally just nailed a fresh sketch for the album cover that'll add the dynamics back in. I hate to start over, but you do what you gotta do!

Last edited by cmalidore; August 26th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great sketches. I second the fluidity of them, and really enjoy how loose your initial sketching is. It really brings a sense of movement and energy to your work.

If I had any sort crit, it would fall in line with what Ryan A. said, in that your finished pieces seem to be a little off kilter compositionally. They almost feel too tight in comparison to your sketches. I would really love to see you develop a brushy, painterly kind of style for your finished work. I only say that because of how much great energy oozes from your sketches.

Love this post. Keep it up!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive work! Post more...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarsis View Post
    Really great sketches. I second the fluidity of them, and really enjoy how loose your initial sketching is. It really brings a sense of movement and energy to your work.

If I had any sort crit, it would fall in line with what Ryan A. said, in that your finished pieces seem to be a little off kilter compositionally. They almost feel too tight in comparison to your sketches. I would really love to see you develop a brushy, painterly kind of style for your finished work. I only say that because of how much great energy oozes from your sketches.

Love this post. Keep it up!
    Thank you very much - I think that pretty much confirms where I wanna go with all of this in the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by Mahran View Post
    Very impressive work! Post more...
    Will do! Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So a few people have inquired about the future of the album cover shown before - something that's bugged me for ages is that it was a straight on view, it looked good in the thumbnail base sketch but upon building on it just seemed anti-climactic. So this is what I'm currently working on.

I've also determined that since my graphite skills are obviously my main strength, that it would be good to set up a foundation layer in graphite. While this is a sketch done in ink and markers, my next step is to do a full graphite piece, and then colorize over that... a process that's worked well in the past for me.

Some elements on this sketch have changed on the base sketch of the full size graphite for compositional reasons (needing room for band name and what not - I've removed the elements in the upper right corner)... but this is the main idea.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cmalidore; August 28th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on this last night - hate the colors but like the shapes. I may continue with it.
    Name:  canyon01.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  89.8 KB

Remember the CGtalk challenge from a lil while back? B Movie? This was a sketch I didn't go with, but just rediscovered in my WIP folder.... I may pick it back up again.
    Name:  moonlanding01.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  105.2 KB

I need to work on my creature designs badly....
    Name:  treeminky01.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  219.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work , my favorite so far is this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1288382089

I'm a sucker for magical wizards .

32. The Following User Says Thank You to thedo12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thedo12 View Post
    Nice work , my favorite so far is this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1288382089

I'm a sucker for magical wizards .
    Thanks! I'll probably play around with it tonight. I appreciate the feedback

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. I would definitely suggest doing some value studies, both in terms of form and composition.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Liffey - I don't disagree one bit. It's something I used to do and eventually got away from too soon. I think we often forget to keep up on those foundation studies as we get buried in work and various priorities.

I've been doing a lot of studies lately but nothing is scanned yet, hopefully soon I can take a moment and assault my scanner with the ol sketchbook to show you folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some images from recent sketchbook pages, projects, etc.....

Plotting something fun....
    Name:  penguincomp_small.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  185.5 KB

Possible new image to try next week
    Name:  vortex.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  117.0 KB

Drunk musing
    Name:  mines.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  53.0 KB

Needed to do a quick comp study to see if an idea would work
    Name:  eclipse.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  104.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Never popped in here but dang there are some cool sketches. Digging that penguin there on the right in the last post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanka kindly, Metal Fingers - The penguins are definitely getting more entertaining. Miiight be the lack of sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, true...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2