Thanks

Thinking of moving to Florida

Hey guys,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Florida. Any floridians here or people who have been around down there have any advice on where to move?

We have been to the Tampa area and it's really nice. I've also been to Orlando and it's also nice. Seems like everything in Florida is kinda few and far between or a drive; which is no problem of course.

Just asking and advice would be greatly appreciated or even suggestions on where else to move would be appreciated. California would be nice but ma doesn't like earthquake. She'd rather deal with the hurricane.

I live in Pennsylvania and it's home but, so is North Carolina (at least for me, lived there for four years). In any case, PA's not really doing it for me anymore, need a change of lifestyle and scenery.

Thanks
    Last edited by Monkabit; June 12th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There hasn't been any huge hurricanes in Miami for a couple of years, so we are due.

housing market in Miami is shit, so you might find a deal, but getting a job is a different thing.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    There hasn't been any huge hurricanes in Miami for a couple of years, so we are due.

housing market in Miami is shit, so you might find a deal, but getting a job is a different thing.
    How's the humidity out there? Compared to, say Houston.

Thanks
    the humidity is like a wall compared to TX.

Thanks
    I'd recommend Orlando or Tampa if you want something to do or places to shop. Sarasota is a nice place too, I lived there for a while as a kid. Close to the beach, plenty to do.

I live in central Florida now. It's awful. Look for a place in the city unless you don't mind being in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks
    Yeah...I can imagine. I do like the hot weather though. Heh, you all think Florida's bad...you should take a trip to Bangkok in the summer, nothing like a blast of hot humid air hitting you in the face when you wake up in the middle of the night thristy.

Anyway, yeah we're not really looking at Miami (do know someone who lives there though ) more Tampa and around that area. I know that Florida has no income tax (that can be good and bad). But other than that, don't know too much.

EDIT: Thanks Shou_q I went down to Sarasota when I went to go tour Ringling (college ended up being over-priced...good school though). Where's SCAD? I've heard of it. Central Florida can't be that bad.
    Last edited by Monkabit; June 13th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    I'd recommend Orlando or Tampa. I've tried to put aside the whole tourism angle of Orlando, and I still think there's a lot to do around the area. I guess I'm kind of biased towards Orlando, though. UCF has an excellent art program, so there's that.

Thanks
    I've spent my 25 years wanting to get AWAY from Florida! TOO hot, TOO humid, no reliable public transportation, serious lack of sidewalks, no good food, pretty much every patch of grass is infested with fire ants, love bug season, oh wow, the list goes on and on...

I grew up in Sarasota, currently live in Orlando, and used to go to Tampa every once in a while.

Sarasota is nice and quiet and by the ocean, beautiful beaches, but other than that, -nothing- to do for the younger crowd(not sure how old you are), and mostly populated by older people. For older people it's a nice quiet compact small city. If you're younger, you'll most likely be driving an hour up to Tampa to find anything to do(unless you love the beach).

Tampa is bigger, more to do, large gay community(I'm just naming things it's known for lol), there is nightlife, etc, but kind of dirty and run-down looking. That's what I got from my few visits anyway.

Orlando is my choice of the three if I had to choose one, some things to do, actually has a nice downtown area with nightlife & restaurants but it's small area. You have a bunch of theme parks to choose from. Orlando is a large area and everything is spread out in pockets of civilization connected by highways and toll roads, so there will be a lot of driving.

I don't recommend anywhere else in Florida unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere, in a swamp. Actually, I don't recommend Florida at all. Not to sound rude but...unless you're looking to retire....WHY FLORIDA??

Thanks
    Rin, it's cool you don't sound rude at all.

I'm 22 and heading to Richmond, VA to TAD next year so I won't be in Florida. However, my mother is the one who wants to move to Florida (god only knows why...Florida sounded nice at first but, I'm having second thoughts) Rin, so ask her.

Anyway, Tampa was one of the choices...that's the only place I've been to besides Orlando.

Anyone else gives suggestions on where else to move besides Florida? Used to live in NC, so that was my other suggestion.
    Last edited by Monkabit; June 15th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    oh ok! Well, your mom might enjoy Florida then! Sarasota is a nice place, definitely the cleanest, safest, nicest looking, and most pleasant of the three.

What is your mom looking for in a place to move to? What does she not like/want?

Thanks
    Hey Nakhon I have lived in Florida for almost 4 years now and I have to say I truly love it here. The things that I hate are the old the people whom drive in the opposite lane of traffic, the lack of pedestrian walk ways and the fact that if you don't have a car your pretty dependent on a cab down here. The humidity is intense down here its been 85 degrees Fahrenheit every night here and 96 in the day almost every day. I personally love heat and humidity just as long as im not walking 10 miles in it. I would suggest moving to the Orlando area if you guys are coming down since its the least expensive and most economically stable area with Florida at the moment.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    I was born and raised in Florida and lived there for 38 years. I ESCAPED 4 years ago. (I now live in lovely North Carolina).
    My advice, don't do it. It is an overcrowded, hot, humid, buggy, tourist-trap state. And year by year it is worse. Of course, this is just my opinion of the place. I have relatives all over down there. Some love it and never want to move and others hate it (like me) and dream of escaping like I did.
    Stay out of Orlando. Everyone I know that lives or has lived in or near there hated it. I always avoid it if I can. I have family that lives in Tampa/Bradenton area and likes it pretty well. And my aunt lives in Sarasota an loves it there (she previously lived in Bradenton).
    I lived in St. Augustine most of my life. A lot of retirees love that little town. (Oldest town in the U.S.) Jacksonville was north of me and Daytona was south. I wouldn't recommend either of them.
    Everyone I know that lives in the panhandle never wants to leave. It is quieter over there, but is more prone to getting hit during hurricane season. And as far as the hurricanes go, it is like a lottery, you never know who is gonna 'win' the prize this year. We went years without anything and then got hit 3 times in one season. It wasn't as disastrous as most, but we were without power for almost 3 weeks and then for one week on another hit and a couple of days the next time. (make sure your mom invests in a generator).
    Here in N.C. there are TONS of retirees that are dubbed 'halfbacks'. They are people who lived up north and thought Florida would be a beautiful retirement only to realize after a couple of years of living there what a shithole it is. They don't want to live back up north so they settle in N.C. (which is half way back up north to where they lived before).
    There are good and bad things about any place you choose to live. Your mom should go and rent a place in the summertime for a couple of months and see how she likes it before making the plunge. I have a couple of family members that did that and then decided NOT to move there.

Good Luck and all the best to you and your mom what ever you choose.