Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

The Musicians Thread

I don't ever remember seeing something like this and I feel that it's horribly overdue...

It seems like a logical thread topic to me because basically all artists I've met at least dabble in playing music and visa versa.

I personally have been playing music a hell of a lot more than I've been making art for the past year or so.

I play bass, keyboards, some vocals (both sung and screamed/growled... lol later please ,) some guitar, and some drums. I've also played saxophone and violin in the past but I really can't remember how to play those things... :/

I play a lot of different kinds of music. Some metal, some rock, lots of prog (of both the rock and metal variety,) some folk, some funk, some jazz, some classical, etc, etc, etc.

Bass is without a doubt my "main" instrument. Some of my main inspirations are Martin Mendez, Sean Malone, Brendan Brown, Geezer Butler, Geddy Lee (yeah, I'm well over my hatred of Rush ,) Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, etc, etc, etc.

I just got this bad boy the other day as a graduation gift:

The Musicians Thread

It's a Fender Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass... It's a BEAUTY! Sounds great and the feeling is sweet as it gets! It sounds just like Jaco's bass, really!

For an amp I'm using a Roland Cube Bass 30 watt which is really an amazing little thing! It really has just SUCH an awesome tonality and variety of sounds. I met a musician at a concert who said his friend was trying to put like 4 of them together and make a half stack out of them because he loved them so much.

I play (well... was playing with) an organization called The School of Rock and we were doing some Thrash metal covers and stuff. I was recently asked to join a metal band that some guys (and girl) from the SoR were forming but not much progress seems to happening there. :/

Anyway, share your aspirations, your gear, your projects, etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by OldJake666; June 12th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Congratulations about graduating. Outside of high school, the only band I was ever in sucked. I no longer have aspirations in that direction, though I guess it would be interesting to have a theremin.

Thanks
    I've played a theramin before. It's fucking HARD... It's actually much harder than you'd think. Then again, I think I was doing it wrong.

Thanks
    I do play music as well as having a lust for art. However I am sure I am just equally as good/terribad at both.

My gear consists of a mexican strat, a usa made telecaster, a epiphone les paul, a art & lutherie acoustic and my banjo. I have a few other odds and ends but those are my main instruments. Amp wise I have just what I can use in my apartment without disturbing my neightbors.. A little 5w tube amp (Fender champ 600) and a frontman 65r for when I play out (Not good, but small budget).

Squire as a brand has been growing on me. The build quality keeps getting better with time

Thanks
    Yeah man, the squier bass I got is SO SWEET. I let my teacher play it today and now he's seriously considering getting one...

It's a surprise, really, because all of the Squiers I've played in the past have been sort of shitty, really. This one is heads and shoulders above them.

Thanks
    I'm slowly building a small orchestra here at home. As of now I posess an Ibanez electric guitar, a VERY crappy bass guitar that I play with in a band, a kickass MIDI-keyboard plus a lot of softsynths, a newly bought semi-acoustic guitar, xylophones, recorders, a tin whistle, some percussion pieces, a self-made lyre of sorts, a snare drum, and a circuit-bent Casio keyboard.

You could say I have a sickly urge to collect anything that produces sound. Guitar and bass are my main instruments, and those I can play reasonably well, but despite my enthusiasm I'm not much of a keyboard or fluteplayer. I'm very interested in recording and mixing music, and have experimented with that a lot, but I find I lack the songwriting skills to make decent songs out of those experiments.

Recently, I have bought the most nifty apparatus I have ever encountered. It's a Tascam 8-track portable recorder, not much larger than a paperback but capable of recording whole songs on a Flash card. I could recommend it to any musician with any interest in writing songs and recording them, it's really easy to use.

Thanks
    ^ Cool man. Out of curiosity, what is your "VERY crappy bass guitar"?

I wish I could say I have an awesome MIDI keyboard. I have the M-Audio Oxygen 49 Key. It looks really nice, and has a ton of features (that I've never used really ) but the key action is dreadful. It's plastic flimsy crap. Whenever I play on a "real" keyboard with well weighted keys, it's like I've been playing for years longer than I actually have been... It wasn't so cheap, either.

BUT, I DO have some AWESOME VST programs. I use Native Instruments B4 for Organ, G-Force M-Tron Pro for Mellotron, G-Force Minimonsta for Moog/Synth, a free program called Mr. Ray for Rhodes, and a free program called Prova for Piano. I also have a bunch of other VSTs that I've collected.

B4 and M-Tron are just AMAZING!

Thanks
    It's a p-bass model by a manufacturer called 'Adonis', that I bought third-hand really cheap. The g-string rattles like crazy on the first few frets, and recently the volume and tone knobs have been coming loose. The string problem might also be just a set-up thing, but I don't know how to fix it.
    It's also top heavy, when you leave it hanging unattended around your neck, the head wants to hit the ground. Still, it produces decent enough sound in the rehearsal room, so for the moment it fulfils my needs.

As for the keyboard, I have an E-MU Xboard. The large version with 61 keys. I haven't much comparison material, so I don't know about key weighting, but it feels alright. Nowhere near as heavy as piano keys, but miles ahead of my 'other keyboard', the Casio

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    I play violin and viola, and I've played semiprofessionally - small gigs. I'm not that good, though, and I'm out of practice. My in-laws have hidden my violin. I need to find it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Well. I sing. A lot. But I'm not sure it's something anyone wants to hear. I'm thinking of taking lessons. But art and being lazy takes up too much time.

I also try making some music on the computer every now and then. But I do it way too seldom to ever get any good at it.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    I play piano (started studying jazz piano this year), using an August Förster acoustic and a Korg SP-250 digital piano. I also play a bit of guitar on a LAG acoustic guitar and some cheap electric guitar which I can't even remember the brand of, but I like it. On guitar it's mostly bluesy stuff. I also dabble in electronic music using an Evolution MK-449C midi controller, which seems alot of fun too.

There's still a struggle inside me whether I want to spend more time on art or on music..
    Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    I played third clarinet in the school band, nothing more than C's, D's and E's maybe a G if I was lucky.

When I went to uni I met people that could play guitar and sing and they taught me and I taught myself. Had a few singing lessons and found a few good ones on you tube and have done backing singing with a couple of bands but they weren't that successful. The best time I've had was doing a few open mic nights which were a buzz I do Leveller covers, Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos, Alanis Morrisette and you know the usual blues and folk...Joni Mitchell is my first love though.
    Last edited by Angel Intheuk; May 18th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Jake, I demand a screaming/growling demonstration! I can't figure out how to do it myself, my voice won't cooperate :/

Oh, and I played piano for 5 years but didn't put a lot of work into it. I regret that a lot now. I really love listening to different kinds of music and wish I had the skills to make my own. But I ended up choosing to spend my time on drawing instead.

Thanks
    Last edited by Glum Tum; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    A Squier? I've never really found a high quality one, perhaps I'm just finding a good source of them.

Anyway, I play bass in a regularly gigging metal band, though my personal playing preferences go more jazz and funk. My main instrument is a Gecko 5 from Warmoth with SGD Neo pickups (amazing electronics! If you ever need to change out bass pickups, I recommend these thangs). I've got a Cort Curbow 4, aaaand through Warmoth again I'm building a fretless Deluxe 5 J-bass.

I've got an alright 200 watt Acoustic combo amp, it gets the job done, but really I need something a little stronger.

I play a little bit of electric guitar, but to be honest I just think better on a bass. Wanna learn drums soon, but that's a lil hard to do in an apartment. Responsibly at least....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Jake, I demand a screaming/growling demonstration! I can't figure out how to do it myself, my voice won't cooperate :/
    Well this isn't quite full on growling, but it's something. Skip to 1:50 or so. Take note that it's not flawless, and the mic got disconnected and I look silly amongst other things...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I tried making some ambient drone once...can't say I'm that musically inclined.

Thanks
    I'm a musician! I've been playing the ukulele casually for about seven years, and the guitar a bit more seriously for the last five years.

Below is the ukulele I have, the Flea. I have the green one on the left. I started out by teaching myself some very-non traditional songs for the ukulele, such as "Crazy Train" by Ozzy, "The Unforgiven" and "Fade to Black" by Metallica, and even a little "Stairway to Heaven." I learned much of what I know about music theory through modifying those songs to fit the ukulele. More recently, I've adapted "Dust in the Wind" for the ukulele, as well as the intro riff of "Sweet Child of Mine."

Attachment 999717

I've also written many riffs and a few complete (or complete-ish) songs for the ukulele. For example, here's a recording of me playing an original Arabian-esque song on my electric ukulele: link (should just play in your browser).

Like I said above, I also play the guitar. I have both an electric and acoustic. Both are inexpensive, generic brand guitars, but they get the job done. I've been playing and practicing consistently for several years, and I'm at the point now where I can start playing classic rock guitar solos with a reasonable amount of competence. I'm also making my first tentative attempts at singing while playing, which is a skill that has long eluded me.

For my electric guitar, I use a tiny cheap amp (it's barely a foot wide), the brand of which I have forgotten, and a Digitech RP10, an old but versatile effects device.

I compose quite a lot of music for the guitar and ukulele. Much of the music that I write is too complex for me to actually play. I usually use Powertab to compose my stuff, and just save it as MIDI files, but very recently I've started to use MixCraft and Guitar Pro to make some better sounding files. I'll post some of my better songs if there's any interest.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm reviving this dead thread... Anyway, you guys wanted a growl demonstration, so here's a growl demonstration: http://www.mediafire.com/?zbhpdk8t1nlelnu

Once you realize what I'm saying, you'll lol.

Thanks
    I play the baritone ( a besson, such a lovely instrument.) and I'm going to learn tuba for marching band so I don't have to near children. I bought a Yamaha keyboard on sale a few weeks ago too so I'm slowly learning that. i also have a Yamaha pacifica and random acoustic guitar that I don't play anymore.

Thanks
    i play guitar and sing learning the keyboard. digitally mix and master my own songs record other people stuff.......although these day's i feel like more of a producer than an artist......(insert sad face here)

p.s. you ruled in that vidja buy the way so did that kid with the bass?(guitar)taller than he was!
    Last edited by j.s. sabastian; August 19th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Watch me paint!

my sketchbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    I write stuff, have my own studio, guitars, piano, percussion, etc. I grew up playing piano, and taking lessons. I used to play guitar insanely fast until I was about 21, but then I had a bonfire of the vanities type why-am-I-playing-so-fucking-fast-all-the-time-when-I-really-just-like-to-listen-to-good-songs moment and thereafter dedicated myself more to songwriting. I was heavily into music theory as a guitar player and this carried over when I switched back to playing piano and writing, to the point where I read through Arthur Schoenberg's monster book "Analytic Theory of the Music" from 1920 or something. That book expanded my understanding of all the arts.

The most enjoyment I had was playing the few recordings I've done for friends, and listening to other local bands play my songs at major venues, including some of my brothers' bands. (My brother is the real musician in the family, among other bands, he's the bass and keyboard player in Limelight, a Rush tribute band that has played RushCon for a whole bunch of years as the top Rush tribute band in north america). I have about 60 songs which I haven't recorded yet. I have no idea when I'll be able to get back to recording. Since I've been working on my graphic novel, I haven't had as much time to do the music thing. I used my studio for a few years to do sound design for ad agencies in New York, which was fun, including a jingle for Ulster County, NY. I played trombone in a jazz ensemble. Even though I don't have a great voice, I like multi-tracking vocals more than anything and have thought seriously about joining a barbershop quartet.

Link to my recorded stuff is in my sig. The songs are not very heavy, very influenced by Brian Wilson's SMiLE album, a little bit strange perhaps...
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As a little one my parents constantly through colors at me. Paints and crayon, lots of books to play with. I had a tackle box at age 7 but it was full of paint brushes and acrylics. And my first painting was in the third grade and it was Peggy Bundy. Well, In the fifth grade my school began music and I really wanted to play the trumpet. Well, Instead, they put a clarinet infront of me and I took off.

My recieved countless medals and awards for music performance. I play everything from the flute down to the tuba and have made state on both clarinet and tuba two years running. Any way, I still play my clarinet and you can find me in some dark alley jamin out. It is wonderful. I will say my family is a little dissappointed in me. They had expected me to play Carnegie by now but, shit happens.

Thanks
    HEY THANKS FOR RIPPING off my life...i'm just joking.....i i'm glad you had so many inspireational people....to difine yourself.... to call you'r home.... and all that! ...i diden't
    Watch me paint!

my sketchbook

30. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've got a Master's degree in Music Theory. I play piano and compose. Classical music is my thing, but I listen to all kinds of stuff.

Thanks
    I play the piano. We have an Heinzman upright grand, which is actually my wife's, but she doesn't play any more. I would like to get a quality digital piano someday for the added versatility (I'll just put it on the list with the other "nice to haves").

Many years ago, when the world (and rock music) was young, I played in a band which performed at dances. We played in Legion halls with horribly out-of-tune pianos. My first job was to see which keys played which notes. Good times!

I also played a mandolin. I don't know what ever became of it. I didn't think about it for decades, and when I finally did, it was nowhere to be found. I would like to play the five string banjo. I'm a real bluegrass fan.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    come on guys, post some links to your music! i'd love to hear what you're all playing.
    i play guitar, bass, drums, sing, write all my own music and am currently figuring out how to play the piano.
    my guitar is just a yamaha acoustic i picked up at a garage sale for $50.
    i have a small boss loop station and a crappy yamaha keyboard i got at a different garage sale for $30.

i posted links to some of my music in another thread about a month ago, so i'll just copy paste it here:
    --------------------------------------------------
    just wrote this song for my father and recorded it as a gift. the lyrics tell a true story:
    http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/musi...atum_final.mp3

i've been on a real bluesy kick lately...
    these are still rough... some of them have changed quite a bit (especially dusted, that one has vocals for the chorus now). they were recorded just so i wouldn't forget the chords (i cant write or read music so i record things). in other words... there are no lyrics... these are pure improv:

http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/musi...TheseWalls.mp3
    http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/music/SheLied.mp3
    http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/music/dusted.mp3
    i was really drunk when i recorded this one:
    http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/music/7years.mp3

this one is 100% improv from a drunken night with my buddy yun. we were just jamming out and didn't realize my dad was recording. ha
    http://www.subdstudios.com/josh/07_Track_07.mp3

i also experiment with electronic music from time to time:
    http://www.thedirtsyndicate.org/music/sweet.mp3

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I made these today. I'm going to post them around the bay area. Spread the word!

The Musicians Thread

Thanks
    My weapons.
    The Musicians Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I have a classical guitar that I used to be really okay at playing with at 15 but I REGRET, REGRET quitting. (Especially after hearing shit guitar players.) I somehow ended up with an electric guitar later (Can't find an amp at the moment), rent-to-own acoustic violin (Also regret quitting and so did my teacher apparently). Also have a usb microphone (Blue) and FL Studio with some VSTs. But so far I've only made this crap using mostly my computer keyboard: http://velderia.bandcamp.com/album/floor-a-ep

I feel so conflicted about getting into music again. The only thing that didn't make me want to sell my instruments or stuff everything away is hearing about people getting back into it in their late 20s or early 30s and playing pretty decent. I don't hate playing music it's just I have no idea if I can practice on a regular basis again and do it well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast