Good use of time? practice ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good use of time? practice ?

hi,

so the summer holidays just started and I have a lot of free time .. I want to improve my skills during this period since I'm free .. but the problem is how to use the time correctly .. how many hours should I spend drawing? and how I get started .. I have some anatomy books but I don't know how to use them .. should I copy each drawing? when I look at the drawing in the books its looks complicated and hard to draw .. should I start from the bones, gesture, muscles ? sometimes when I try to draw some anatomy stuff I can't and I feel like I'm loser .. and seeing some people draw some amazing stuff I feel like its impossible for me to reach their level ..
    I need some help and advice and you can see my sketchbook if you want to know my level .. I'm still beginner

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at your sketchbook, I'd say you'd be best getting out in the world and drawing from life. Practicing basic shapes whenever you've got a spare moment (see my recent sketchbook stuff for what I mean) isn't a bad idea either, it's never a waste to brush up on the basics. But you seem to have a decent handle on things so drawing from life would benefit you a lot.

As to anatomy, if you haven't don't studies much, then you're not gonna be good at it right away. So don't feel bad if you can't do what Frazetta did (I can't either). Set yourself an easy task, like doing two or three pages of studies a day, and just do that. Building skill is a cumulative thing, and before long you'll be surprised at what you've learned.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    So don't feel bad if you can't do what Frazetta did (I can't either).
    Maybe that Frank Frazetta thing is an art myth. Logically, assuming the anatomy book is 150 pages (a very humble estimate) with anatomical illustrations on every page, how is it possible for any man to copy everything in 1 single night (approx 8 PM to 6 AM, which again, is a very humble estimate, since he probably goes home late due to his work load), unless he scribbles and doodles all those stuff?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Maybe that Frank Frazetta thing is an art myth. Logically, assuming the anatomy book is 150 pages (a very humble estimate) with anatomical illustrations on every page, how is it possible for any man to copy everything in 1 single night (approx 8 PM to 6 AM, which again, is a very humble estimate, since he probably goes home late due to his work load), unless he scribbles and doodles all those stuff?
    It's an actual quote from Frazetta in my sig about the story, so you'd have to take it up with him. Maybe he was lying, but my impression is he was laughing at himself for thinking that's all it took.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    It's an actual quote from Frazetta in my sig about the story, so you'd have to take it up with him. Maybe he was lying, but my impression is he was laughing at himself for thinking that's all it took.
    I'm pretty sure the quote is often taken out of context, often missing the following part.

"Of course Ralph fell over and roared with laughter. 'Frankie, you silly bastard! I've been studying for ten years and I still don't know anatomy, and you went home and learned it last night?!'"

But more to the subject at hand; I don't think you can really power game or min\max practice. As far as I'm concerned, spending too much time worrying about what should be practised and in what order is costing time that could actually be used for drawing.

You can never learn it all so I think a guy should just examine his pictures for flaws and practise on the weakness that can be seen. If your figures are great but your perspectives are bad, then practise perspective.

If the arms on your figures do not look right, then practise drawing arms and getting them right.

My two pence.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw as much as you can enjoy it. dont forget to visit concerts, museums, movies, and your friends. Its important to maintain your balance between real life and art.

To quote Marko: "If your life is boring, your art is boring" ;-)

Draw what currently interests you or inspires you. Don't draw something just because you think you have to, in order to get the best of whatever.

And don't avoid drawing something, because you think it wont get you further.

If it feels good to you, it's ok. If you love art, you can't do wrong.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advices
    I'll try to do what you guys suggested

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.