Sketchbook: Back to the Drawing Board

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Back to the Drawing Board

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back to the Drawing Board

Hello there, CA (citi/deni)zens. I found this site a while ago, forgot about it and then happily rediscovered this treasure-trove of a forum. I have recently acquired Drawing on the Right Side of your Brain and I must confess that I love this little book. It makes plenty of sense to me so far and explains the often enigmatic ways of art. So I'm here to learn what the book has to offer and learn some more and when I'm nowhere close to being done learning, I hope to become a great environment artist. Enviros are can most easily affect my emotions because of their majesty and mood.

Back to the Drawing Board isn't some random name. I'm 16 (almost 17 ) and soon to be a Junior. The thing is that I haven't taken any art classes at school because I won't be going that route. I plan to go in to engineering but art is a must for me. Whether it be orchestra in which I play or drawing in class and at home, art is essential. So besides teaching myself, I also lack something sorely desired--a tablet. I'm trying to get one but I'm broke and jobless for the foreseeable future :/

Enough text here are some old sketches I've done along with the materials im working with, and I'll post anew for some newer stuff

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok now for some newer stuff!

The portrait is the first pre-instruction exercise for the Book.

The iceberg is something :U

The ocean there is for a friend and I'm still trying to figure out to paint color over black and white stuff without losing the textures I made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work so far, your thumbnails with markers look to be the best.

Your figures seem a bit vertically stretched. Try to keep an object in proportion to itself - when you're working from observation, compare width and height to each other to train yourself. IE 'this is as tall as two widths of that". Eventually your eye will be able to do that automatically (though it's always good to check!).

As for a tablet, it's a good tool and I love mine to death, but it's important to remember that it's only a tool. While traditional materials are a bit harder than photoshop and painter simply because you can't hit alt+Z (and a few other perks like not getting paint over all your clothes!), there's no shame in working with them, and they can produce fantastic results. Being well rounded makes you more marketable as a professional as well.

Edit: To your concern over textures, if you're using photoshop or painter, both programs allow you to use 'layers', which basically allow you to consider your artwork as an object with 'depth' - You can paint 'over' and 'under' things. For instance, if you have linework, you can designate that as a layer and set it to 'multiply'. This tells the program to treat white as blank space, and darks as additive to anything 'below' it. Then you create a new layer and arrange it beneath the linework to color on. This preserves your lines without having to worry about painting over them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I'll definitely have to reference the proportions and work on those figures. As for the tablet, maybe I am too focussed on it but I think it'd be nice to have. Well I do have some miniature paints down in my basement from my 40k days. I'll go grab a reference and go paint with em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I painted some stuff using my games workshop paints. I definitely need better paper for painting <.>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest to buy some illustrator boards for your acrylic paintings
    They are cheap as hell in some places and you can paint on em like on a canvas.
    I got like 20 for 40€ :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/images...Strathmore.jpg

Are these foam boards (as I call 'em) what you were talking about? I have a Michaels store close to home so I can probably get some as well as supplies for the DRSB ("drawing on the right side of the brain" hereafter) book. Any other supply suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practicing perspective here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    completed the pre-instruction exercises! now to learn how to access this R-mode :U

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick little thing. also went the park to draw some stuff. shall post those later

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.