Art: Suicide Girl

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Suicide Girl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Suicide Girl

Here's my first attempt at painting with reference in painter 8. She's a "Suicide Girl" named Rudy. Done in a couple hours. Any crits would be grrrrrrrreATE!!!! Thanx

Suicide Girl

Last edited by Capprotti; October 19th, 2004 at 02:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your first use of Painter or just Painter 8?

In any case, it's neither underdone or overworked - beautiful indeed...

-Grant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mike.
    WOW great job!

It's really pulling togather for you!
    You know I love your art,BTW stop by the studio when you get the chance .
    Some things for you to think about ,
    The skin tones are wonderful, I love the warm reflected light on her shoulder.
    You really nailed the transitional greys , on the shadow side of the nose etc.
    Take another look at the eyes, are they too white? Should they have some of the skin tones mixed into them?

Could the muscles in the neck be softened?

the hair is beautifully done Mike and the sculpture of the face is the best I've seen you do.

remember that the whites of the eyes are never lighter than the middle/light side of the skin, what would happen if you where to place a highlight on the eye?
    would it show up?
    If you darken the eye a bit the highlight would scream wetness and a high "martin Sheen!

Look at the ear again, could it drop down in value? could it loose some edges and soften and not call as much attention to the shape?
    Does the back of the hair look to hard could it be soften to make it drop back in space?
    Could I ask more droning questions?

Keep up the good work Mike
    Daniel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow shes beutiful....great job

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the detail in the loose hair on her forehead

-3 processors - 2 computers - 1 man-
    Nextworks Design Studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a commitee!!!

Unit - I REALLY Love your work man. Your envorinments (and designs in general) are really inspiring. I was actually supposed to be working on environments today, but I got sidetracked by this. I've been messing with painter for a while, but only on occasion. I just started messing with it on a regular basis a couple of weeks ago. This was my first attempt at using reference while painting in painter. Thanx for the kind words.

Reau - It's always good getting any compliment for you, it let's my know I'm on the right track since you don't BS. Especially when it comes to your territory

DansADad - Processing drone questions... activating response systems... response in progress... You've probably got the best eyes in the business. I love how nothing gets by you, it keeps me on my toes and I reeeeaaallly need that. After your questions, I saw things I just left alone and things I didn't see at all and HAD to act on them. A good kick in the but is never a bad thing thanx. Oh and I'm having Horne Studio Withdrawl Anytime your free, I'll make myself free. I'd love to see what's new in Santa's.. uh, Daniels Workshop

Gasmask - I saw some of your pics on your site, you look like you might be young. so... QUIT BEING SO DAMN GOOD FOR YOUR AGE!!! And as for the model, it was the perfect pic, model and lighting. I lucked out with this find. Thanx for the compliment!

Morlok - The hair was fun to do, it was also fairly simple. I just took a smeary flat brush in painter, turned the feature up pretty high (like between 9-12) so the bristles were spread pretty far apart and went to town. Thanx man. Give it a shot if you use painter.

So here's the Updated version, I touched on some things that I let go before. Other than that, I just used Daniels wisdom, and it always pays off.

Suicide Girl

Last edited by Capprotti; October 19th, 2004 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It just gets better and better. I'm not a good painter so my input is more or less not of great value but here goes.

(insert nitpick here)
    I think you could mute the ear even more.
    For some reason I also want to see a little more shadow on the forehead from the hair on the right of the part.
    I think there should be some shadow on part of the chin and cheek where it could be getting a little radiosity and shadow form the shoulder (it looks like the shoulder is not quite touching the cheek)
    lastly a little shadow/muting of the right collar bone as it goes under the chin.

Very cool. I'm envious of the work.

BTW - how did that cover with the baby in the tube work out?

Last edited by Thrash; February 25th, 2004 at 03:42 AM.
    A may be a pro but that's in 3d!

ChaingunStudios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I'm new here but this seems like a great forum.
    This is a beautiful piece! I like the handling of the medium - nice "brushwork", and it's neither overworked nor incomplete.
    I do have a couple of points to offer, though (forgive me for my tendency to always focus on formal issues!) Also forgive me because the more I like a piece the more I tend to babble about how it could be "better."

First the eye color. "The white" in any painting (that is, the object whose local color is white) tells you everything about the light in the setting. Here I think the eye color is not reading as being in the same lighting situation as the other objects, in terms of color. Also, speaking purely 2-dimensionally, the whites of the eyes occupy a relatively small area, and therefore are being strongly influenced by the reds in the rest of the piece, and as a result are being pushed toward blue/gray. In a nutshell, I'd try moving the eye color toward the flesh color, or just generally warmer (redder) - (I think someone said that already...). You may be surprised how far you can move that color and it still reads as "white!" I think this will have a dramatic effect on the unity of the piece, and the "realism" (assuming that's what you're after).

Secondly I think there are some form problems happening around the forehead and right eye socket, caused by the shapes of the surrounding color areas. This is the kind of thing that can happen when you use a photo reference. It can be difficult to unravel the 2d photo and convert it into a 3d form (in your head), then back to 2d for the image, but that's what you gotta do! That final image needs to come from your mind! This is the same as the color issue above, in terms of the problems with photo references (now tell me you didn't use a photo reference and I'll feel like a chimp).

Very nice job!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As an art piece, I don't really like the added piercing below her lip, it takes away from the piece. For some reason it stops the flow of my eyes across the piece, it attracts all the attention. Sorry if it seems nitpicky, my design teacher is making us do abstracts and this whole guiding the eye thing is being imprinted in my brain.
    By the way, why'd you call it a "suicide girl?"

-Insert intelligent comment here-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris, thanx for the help. As for the color of the eyes, i was definitely aware of the color (or at least trying to be). The lighting was actually kind of cold, but since the rest of it is pretty warm, maybe I should warm up the eyes to tie it all together. I'm curious about the eye socket though, do you mean her right or our right? I'm def gonna fix it as soon as I can see it. And don't feel bad, it was from a photo. Thanx again.

Daemon - The funny thing is that the piercing is there because she's a suicide girl. There is a site called SuicideGirls.com where a girl photographer photographs girls who are kind of "freaks". Most of the girls are either pierced, tattooed or something more interesting. Girls travel from around the world to be photographed at her house/studio. The catch is, most of these girls are really naturally beautiful despite their hard edged fashion. Check it out. OH, that's one of the reasons I liked doing this painting, the girl was very classically beautiful, but the piercing is a nice twist. Maybe I'll just try to integrate it more.

Thanx again guys,
    Mike

Last edited by Capprotti; February 25th, 2004 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mike, glad I could offer something that might help. I'll try to describe what I'm seeing re the eye socket form... which will sound even more nitpicky as I attempt to describe it with words.
    I'm talking about her right eye (on the left side of the piece as you look at it). Specifically the area between her right pupil and the inside end of her right eyebrow, where the form turns under to make the inside top of the eyesocket, but here it's sort of lost in a single kind of triangular dark shape.

It's funny, because her left eye, to me, is rendering basically the same form beautifully, and very "economically." The underside of her left eye socket is rendered with a single kind of crescent shape, that's more saturated (orangey) than most of the other colors. This is reading very clearly as a strong 2d shape, but also as 3d form. Just beautiful. That's magic. That's the magic of 2d art, of painting. The dark triangular area on her right eye, by contrast, is doing the opposite, that is, it is reading as a flat shape, and breaking down the form in that area, or at least causing some visual confusion about it.

I can't say what the photo looked like in this area (and who cares, really, because photos don't understand how humans see things!). Certain 2d shapes just have a tendency to sit flat on the page, even if they are "correct." What I usually do when this happens is I sketch in the form in the given area without respect to any lighting, i.e. as if you were modelling a 3d mesh out of it (even using gridlines). This often reveals some otherwise subtle issue with the 2d shapes not properly "wrapping around" the form.

Let me end by saying, again, this is a wonderful piece, and I almost feel guilty writing a half a page about just one small part of it!!! The composition is fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, its all already said.
    Very nice peace, although i do have a couple of suggestions.
    I think it would benefit from more colors in the skin for one, the other is that the right (her right) shoulder sticks out at an unnatural angle to the body, because it doesn't align with the position of the collar bone and the pectoral muscle. Other then that - good job, keep it up.

Last edited by dusty imp; February 26th, 2004 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you're saying now Chris. It's kinda flat and doesn't describe the form very well. I can't remember whether the reference has that same effect, but either way, it should be more clearly stated. I'm definitely gonna fix it. Thanx, that helped out a lot.

Yutani - I also see what you mean about the shoulder, I painted the collar bones out of alignment. Fortunately, that's an easy fix, so I'll be working on these soon.

THANX GUYS!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.