C.O.W. #180_Beast of Revelations_Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Beast!

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ludic

0 0%
  • Parsakoira

13 21.67%
  • Featherwurm

0 0%
  • Aedant

22 36.67%
  • tarik

0 0%
  • Phade01

3 5.00%
  • (lark

5 8.33%
  • porcupine

0 0%
  • Homerid

5 8.33%
  • JanJager

1 1.67%
  • Arbinn

0 0%
  • Harmageddon

0 0%
  • Rich3

0 0%
  • Si Swe

2 3.33%
  • Snafu

6 10.00%
  • J-Sun

0 0%
  • Edward B

3 5.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #180 Beast of Revelations- VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #180 VOTING

Topic: Beast of Revelations

Deadline for the voting: Saturday June 26th 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; June 19th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ludic

Concept: Hellspawn
    These satanic beasts have lived in hell since the dawn of time, looking up at the creatures that wonder the earth. These Hellspawns rule under the satanic lord Satan himself. The Hellspawns created jealousy and greed, althought when used too much, those powers became to great for humanity to handle and the worlds fell apart. Satan became furious about this travesty, so he chained the spawnlings to the underworld using a magical sign, burned into their foreheads.

Last edited by Ludic; June 18th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Parsakoira
    Concept: The beast of revelations

"And behold, at the end of days, a white horse-like creature walks the earth carrying the mark of the beast,
    for it truly is the beast that will bring the destruction upon mankind. Its face masked with marble, deceiving and hiding its true
    nature that lies beneath. Know that this beast will lead many astray, using deception and lies as its weapons, and cast them down into
    Sheol, where it will eternally feed on their souls. But fear not, no righteous man shall falter under it's deception, for you will know the
    true nature of this beast and the horrors it brings. When its work is done, it shall crumble into dust, leaving the barren earth ready, to be purged."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Featherwurm

Concept: The Voices of Revelations
    The first came from the sea, monstrosities of heads and limbs, great dragons. Then came the mouths, all over the world, the speakers for the beasts, and where they went it people bowed down before the beasts of the sea and worshiped them as false idols. Their lowing was heard by all mankind and their dragon bodies grew fat on worshipers, their false lamb-like visages cracking and bleeding with their gluttony. These were not the voices of gods, they were the beasts of revelations.

The Mark of the Beast is simply the Hebrew symbol 'Peh' derived from the word 'mouth', as this is the mouth of the beasts of judgment. The second biblical beast of revelations. The sweet-voiced speaker of demons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Narseith

Concept: Zekebel

Excerpt from the Book of John

Rev.61

[1] And the slain Lamb arose from the ground: and his head was dislocated.
    [2] And the ominous, distorted corpse floated above Zion: and he wore the red mark of blasphemy
    [3] And I beholdeth a dark cloud ascending from beneath
    [4] And I looked into a bleeding hole on the forehead of the Beast
    [5] And I saw Him
    [6] And it was Him

Last edited by Aedant; June 16th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aedant For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Tarik

Concept: New World Order's Beast of Revelations
    "...and every man shall have the Idol of the Beast in his home."
    Name:  beast of revelationscopy.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  462.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: phade01

Concept: 6-6-6

And I stood upon the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having six horns, and seven heads, and the mark of the beast on its body. And the beast brought destruction upon the earth.

Name:  14_COW_V02.jpg
Views: 3142
Size:  203.7 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phade01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: lamb of satan

ancient, the lamb spreads darkness across the land.
    despair, sorrow, pain, suffering, and finality are it's only purpose.

baaa means your doom motherfuckers!

Name:  beast of revalations final.jpg
Views: 3091
Size:  502.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Dragonsheep

Little is known about the Beasts of Revelations, but what we do know is that they consist of not one, but two species. The true harbingers of doom has due to the evolution of its many heads and mouths lost the ability to speak human tounge. Because of this they are breeding and keeping these gentle dragonsheep to act as their interpreter. What humans call "The Mark of the Beast" is a branding system used by the harbingers to distinguish ownership among them. While these beasts are docile to their nature and wouldnt pose a threath to anyone they often appear skitterish, this is probably because they are constantly hearing their owners voices inside their minds.

Last edited by porcupine; June 18th, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: realised too much of details got lost in image so uploaded a bigger version

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Homerid

Concept: The Agent of Evil

The beast, marked in the fires of Hell, arisen from the earth, crowned in a false halo, and spoke in the tongue of dragons, spreading despair and agony.

A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: [ COLOR=White]Beast of Revelation[/COLOR]
    And A beast coms up out of the sea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Arbinn

Concept: Eve's Bane

The story about Eve taking a bite of the infamous apple is not false. What has been downplayed over time by historians and people talking about the story is the size and true nature of the so called "snake".

Last edited by Arbinn; June 18th, 2010 at 03:19 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "And the lamb opened the first seal,
    releasing the great beast
    from beneath the earth.

And it rose from the deep
    and it beheld the lamb
    and stared into his soul.

It knew then
    that time had come
    to meet the end."

Name:  Scan10323-30pct final burning.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  280.2 KB

Last edited by Harmageddon; June 18th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rich3

Concept: The Second Beast
    “Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon. And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.” Revelation 13:11,12

The second beast of Revelations, a gilded false prophet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: The Sinwalker

It was a giant that exited the mist and shambled into our midst. It walked like some awkward and malformed chicken, teetering with the weight of it's body roiling with images and things not of itself. On the smallest of it's three bobbing and swaying heads shone it's mark. A morphing Rorschach-type image of all the corporate greed and tyranny. All the evils of the world bubbled up in it's skin: Lust, Intolerance, Exploitation, Pollution, that crow that always wakes me up at 8 in the morning, Justin Beiber... and as it walked, the ground behind it grew stagnant and unlivable. It was beautiful.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Snafu

Concept: Soul Eater

It seemed to talk to you, I don't know how, but it promised a better world if we followed it. As I got nearer, I felt weak... overcome with a large sense of guilt and sadness, the area around me turned misty and the air dry. People standing by the beast were hypnotized by its promises; entranced as their soul left their bodies, I could feel it calling me and tried to turn away, but my feet kept moving closer...

Last edited by Snafu; June 18th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Beast of the Revelations

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image.
    Revelation, 14. 11

Last edited by J-Sun; June 18th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Edward B

Concept: The beast of revelations.

Thousands of years ago the beast walked the earth, manipulating men to worship the false prophet with the suffering and dying of millions to its name.

Only during the beasts 666 days of sleep did mankind recover, the wise Pharaohs of Egypt constructed several focusing pyramids to trap the creature in stone. But the Sphinx is only trapped, as the pyramids and their ritual sacrifices within wither away, the beast will be free once again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ludic - Your creature has a lot of personality. I can clearly see malicious intent, but I get the impression of mischief. Very malevolent mischief, but mischief nonetheless. I get more of an impression of a lesser demon or imp than I do a harbinger of the apocalypse.
    Parsakoira - I was really really close to voting for this one. It's an image packed with emotion and a great sense of wonder. Certain parts of it feel a bit blurry and out of focus, which in certain places gives a good sense of motion but in others looks a bit sloppy. Overall a really fantastically composed and executed piece.
    Featherwurm - I like the almost icon-like style that this one was done it. I can imagine it as a stained glass window very easily. Try incorporating the elements of the design more smoothly. The transfer from dragon to human skin is a little bit abrupt. Watch out for black, too, it flattens shadows a lot.
    Aedant - A really great design, with a very eerie and magical feel, as well. I know I say this all too much, but watch out for the use of black, it flattens shadows a lot.
    tarik - It's a clever concept to be sure, but I feel like the execution could have been better thought-out. Why is that person on the cliff cheering? Why is just one person sitting on that cliff? Watch those spatter brushes and the saturation levels on the water.
    phade01 - Very dynamic and very evil-looking image. It's a great scene but I would have liked to have seen the creature's feet. Most of the rendering is great but some of the highlights feel a bit out of focus.
    (lark - Man, you just keep improving. It's really awesome to see how you've evolved your own style since the Amphibious round. It's a great design and it's well rendered. If I have a complaint about the image it's that I can't stand that grass brush. It's really overused and I very rarely think it looks good. To make it look less brush-y, try fiddling with x-jitter and scattering and spacing.
    porcupine - After reading the description I have to commend you on concept. The cartoon level of docile expression threw me at first, but I like the idea of a interpreter. It explains the marks a lot more. On the other hand, the pose could really use some work, the legs in particular look very awkward.
    Homerid - Putting aside the very nice rendering and pure evil design, I love the scene here. I can see clearly that this beast caused all of this destruction, possibly simply by arriving there. I can infer that this creature has turned to the viewer and that the viewer should probably get out of there as fast as they can. So, I voted for it is what I'm saying, I guess.
    JanJager - It's nice to see a JanJager piece again. Very eerie creature. It reminds me a lot of the marshes in the Lord of the Rings. The actual significance of evil coming out of the sea in Biblical terms is really nicely emphasized by the piece. I guess the only crit I can give is that I'd like to see more of the creature.
    Arbinn - Great overal design and pose. I did really like your original idea of putting the one eye for two heads, but it works nonetheless. The image is great for the most part, but there are some inconsistencies in the quality of the rendering. Looking at the crown of horns versus the hands or the hanging skin on it's neck versus the adjacent sheep heads.
    Harmageddon - Nice, a lot more of a true-to-the-book approach to the creature, with traditional media. It goes well together. Because of your palette the creature doesn't stand out against the background enough. Everything in the image is comprised of warm colours, it needs some balancing. Using a cold neutral for those cliffs in the background would really make the creature pop. Keep at it.
    Rich3 - While I get a really good sense of form and the rendering is nice overall, I can't help but think: "sheep as designed by the Apple store". Perhaps on a different background I could get out of the clinical white technology mindset.
    Snafu - When I first saw your image it had amazing atmosphere. I creepy and enigmatic scene. The problem, I find, is with your incorporation of solid, sharp custom brushes with your very painterly style. Not the barely visible structures in the background, but the plants, the fences, the chains. They all look out of place next to the great painting job of the rest of it. Even the people are all solid black and it takes away from the idea of space rather than adding to it. It's really too bad because with a bit of polish in that aspect you would have had an incredible image.
    J-Sun - There is a great sense of fury about your creature and the. I like the idea of the whitehouse engulfed in fire as the background but the execution has left some very pixelated looking areas which take away from the piece.
    Edward B - You have a very pretty image and the rendering on a lot of it is gorgeous. The back of it feels infinished, though, and I just don't get the harbinger of the apocalypse feel from it.
    Self-Crit - On the whole I'm decently happy with the piece, I had a goal and I more or less did what I wanted to. I just ended up rushing it quite a bit it's a bit sloppier than I would've maybe liked. But now working more than 40 hours a week, as opposed to my student schedule, has really cut down on the time I can spend on these.

Cheers everyone. Altogether this was a pretty diverse round with a lot of great stuff.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ludic: You have really captured a good expression, you can really see him planning evil things. Overall the image seem a little sketchy tho and the perspective on the right ear doesnt look entirely right, try spend little more time (if you have of course) before you submit.

Parsakoira: Its beautiful. It gets my vote. Its amazing how the legs look like they move and the entire piece is so very frightening without being a traditionally evil monster. If anything could use improvment perhaps the tail looks little too blurry and the neck-region seem slightly off but the overall result is amazing.

Featherwurm:
    Its really symbolic. I think its beautiful. It would look even better if you worked some more on arms and hands, they look little rough.

Aedant:
    Very original. I like it alot. What kinda puts me off is the eyes doesnt really look funtional.

tarik:
    Really cool concept, it looks little rushed and flat tho, it would have been nice with bigger contrast between shadows and highlight.

Phade01: Awesome. Its so evil and the light is great. Only thing I would change would be the chains go straight into the arms, it looks better on the arm with bracer.

(lark:
    Its great, the background add so much to the scene and the creature is really cool. I also love the color of the mark. Thing that comes to my mind is that the eyes look kinda dim, perhaps you had a thought with that, else maybe it would look better with brighter reflections. Oh and as Si Swe says, grass-pencil is not good, its alot better to draw grass manually or just skip it.

Homerid: Awesome again. This and Phade01 was my two favourites besides Parsakoira. The overall scene, lights and athmosphere is really nice and the creature is too! (And the hoofs looks great aswell now)

JanJager:
    I really like it!

Arbinn: I really like this too, especially the back of the beast.

Harmageddon:
    Its so dynamic creature, it looks alive when its twisting like that. Just little shame it doesnt really stand out from the background and the worshippers arms kinda dissaperes. But the beast is really cool, especially with heads on the wings! I think I'm missing the mark tho, or am I just blind?

Rich3:
    A different beast, I like the perspective but it would be nice with a background thats not so similar in color.

Si Swe:
    Really nasty, evil looking Beast. Its a nice twist with a real life coorporate logo as the mark and the bird on the leg looks great, only thing I dislike with it is the thing coming out of the humans shoulder.

Snafu:
    Its really, really eerie. The story goes great with the images aswell. Whats not so good is that plant brush. I think it looks ok with the fences and structures and stuff, but organic plants doesnt repeat themself like a stamp. Better to draw them, or if using those brushes add some detail and cut some so it doesnt repeat its pattern.

J-Sun:
    NIce image and I really like the mark. Also its cool with the White house burning. Would have been nice with some more texture and detail on the beast tho.

Edward B.
    Really nice creature and scene, I think it would been nice with bit deeper shadows tho.

And finally my own:
    I like my story and how I tried to take whats in the bible and give it an explanation to why. I'm also happy with the people sitting on his tail, it looks cozy in a bizarre way. What I need to do is practise alot on perspective and anatomy, I have a lot to improve there!

Last edited by porcupine; June 19th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typos, typos, typos

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aedant gets my vote because his creature is so otherworldly, so dislocated and held together by an ominous unseen energy, it has a sense of presence and foreboding evil that's tough to pinpoint. And the image is solid, it has good sense of volume. I also like how he avoided the fire-and-brimstone element.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TimM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What fantastic work this week! I was really really torn in voting, I think absolutely everyone brought something really interesting in to their work,

In the end my choice was for Aedant, as that creature seems to me to best embody the concept of something terrifying and imposing. Hellish and evil and yet a deceiver and subtle destroyer.

I would like to say also that I love Parsakoira's work. It's so perfectly refined and the concept is just excellent.

Seriously though, everyone's work this week is great and the concepts and executions are just fantastic!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Featherwurm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Snafu! His work came as a surprise for me since we had not seen it in progress, and even if the choice of some elements are not totally right ( like the fences that can seem pasted on the surface ), I like that the environnement was unconventionnal for a hellish creature ( this was an important criteria for me in this round) The creature is beautiful, alien-like yet mystical. I also like the sketchy look, and the description is very well written. It was short, but really evocative and implicating. Bravo!

I'll probably take the time tomorow to write a critique for every other entries!

And by the way, thanks to those who voted for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough choice, but my vote goes to Parsakoira, the creature shows great design and expression, and really good execution. My next favorites were Si_Swe, Arbinn, Featherwurm and Aedant, really creative stuff guys. Sorry I can't post any more comments today, I have two finals this week and lots of books to read

A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Homerid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 425 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats to Aedant. Very cool creature!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com