Chow 201 :: Andromeda - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice paintings everyone! I'm impressed! This topic actually lends itself perfectly for practicing human anatomy, composition and lighting and I see everyone experimenting with it. Nice work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    telamon: Nice. I think you should work some more on the composition before getting too much into polishing.

staticpen
    : Fantastic! That's gonna be a great piece.

Rusty: Wow, classy! Digging the pose.

Lodin: The composition works well. Very cool piece.

Ephelea: Good. Maybe you could work on her expression a bit more.

Here's my sketch with basic lighting set up. It would be really helpful to get some honest critique at this stage. Paintovers accepted as well

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ismo For This Useful Post:

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you guys are putting out some killer work, so cool to see everyone's take on the subject. Well here is my thumb, was after a real imposing shot...and playing around with some colour. Will work out the design of her clothing next since I got a bit carried away with the creature...doh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tomorrow my Cintiq will finally arrive! Can't wait to jump in

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was originally planning to to a watercolor Mucha style image but decided to paint it instead, as much as it pained me to go over my lines i think i've made the right decision.

Still a way to go yet.

~Jase

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I have so far. Going to try to get more done today. Lots of nice entries so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rusty: Thx for the nice paintover. My pic looks better in the closeup, but that doesnt change the lame overall look. I need way more practice.

Yours is great, it feels as if you had really used some oil like technique.
    If you keep this up, the finnished piece will look like a Vallejo picture. ^^

The scenery and the monster are beautiful, but its a characterdesign, so I would like to see something more on her. Right now there is nothing special about her, except her red hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Veshkau View Post
    I would go as far as to say it's not a character design exercise at all tbh - just a naked/almost naked woman and a sea monster. The winning entry will be the best drawn or most "cinematic" unfortunately.
    I don't really think this is true at all. There's a ridiculous amount of psychosexual (or just regular sexual) symbolism in the myth that shows up in most historical interpretations (which is why later depictions tend to be naked with phallic sea monsters) that you have a ton of freedom in exploring. Going full on Geiger would actually be fully appropriate this time around.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to humboldt squid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been meaning to participate in CHOW for a while now, and since I'm a big fan of ancient history/cultures and mythology, now's as good a time as any to start. I hurt my drawing arm two days ago while doing yard work, though, and have been drawing a lot slower than I normally would as a result, so I'm not sure if I'll finish in time or not. I'm definitely going to try though, dangit!

Very, very nice entries so far. I love all the different interpretations not just on Andromeda's looks, but her apparent personality/the situation.

Anyway, he's a very, very rough WIP of mine. Third concept I've had for it, but the only one far enough along beyond pose planning to share.

Looks like she didn't need Perseus' help after all.

Also, I think this is my first post here. So, uh... Hi!

Briana Higgins - freelance illustration, graphic and web design.
    My Portfolio | Web Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some progress on mine. There's a few areas like her feet that I haven't touched at all yet, but the monster's pretty much done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCF - I love your rich color palette. The rust-crimson is a great underwater red! These are the colors I'd like to have in my future home, that is, if I ever get one. Just one caveat: I'm having hard time with the drapery on Andromeda. It doesn't feel "watery" enough. I suppose I'm expecting it to be more translucent.

Rusty - Wow! and wow! I like how structurally sound everything is in your piece... and your vivid colors remind me of some of my favorite fantasy paintings, most notably those of frazetta.

staticpen - I love your lines... that figure and face are spot on! And that hair!? And the intrigue between creature and character as opposed to fear is really cool, too. I don't know about Andromeda's arm though. I feels elongated.

I'm probably waaaaaaaay behind, but I thought I'd try another one of my ideas... Please crit, as I need all the help I can get...

I have some previous WIPs but due to some technical difficulties I didn't post them. I will add them in due course...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MasterTroglodyte Looking good! Nice perspective. I'd add more space to the bottom of the canvas so her feet are not chopped off-it's really awkward right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my WIP, espescially loving Rusty and SCF's entries so far, although they're all looking really good.

Last edited by Pinback; June 16th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinback For This Useful Post:

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PinBack, those are super sexy colours you have going on there....looking forward to seeing a bigger version as I can only get so close to my monitor

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AhChu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moving slow, but at least I'm getting stuff down. Base colors and lines are down, but still have background, shading, highlights and such to go.

Like a few others, I'm taking the darker-skinned Andromeda route.

Briana Higgins - freelance illustration, graphic and web design.
    My Portfolio | Web Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the great work on CHOW Daestwen and Aly Fell.Congrats to Arthemis IX And IceMoon and good luck with the managment of this activity.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great topic.

I wanted to do a composition.At the moment just sketching.I wanted to do a somehow defiant Andromeda looking at those who give her as sacrifice to the monster.

Name:  chow 201 andromeda sketch grey.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  chow 201 andromeda sketch.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  129.7 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit01

Changed the figures on the left side.

Name:  chow 201 andromeda sketch b.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  140.4 KB

Last edited by DIMAGYAN; June 17th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I started yet again, being unhappy with the earlier wips. I'm hoping I can pull this on off. I know she's no warrior princess but as long as she's making an effort it's fine by me. Feedback?

Last edited by Rhdnor; June 16th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my first take on Andromeda. I did the sketches yesterday, while traveling by train on my way home. The train was rocking and rolling (which is optimal for sketching) and the Chemical Brothers were beating in my ears.

My idea was to explore the contrasts (the fragile beautiful girl against the colossal beast; warm (fire) vs cool (water); humans vs gods).

So far design and the layout are just plain classical, but that seems appropriate for the mythological subject. I wish I could find a way to push it a little further, though.

I'm thinking in a big orange sunset for the background, and I'm changing the "dignified" pose for the "defeated" pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuranym View Post
    MasterTroglodyte Looking good! Nice perspective. I'd add more space to the bottom of the canvas so her feet are not chopped off-it's really awkward right now.
    Thanks, Sakuranym! I do that waaaay too often. I'll hopefully have time to work on this once I'm finished moving... I'm excited to see how everyone's pieces develop!

DIMAGYAN, I love her expression! And I think the viewpoint is also unique. I only wish there was a way to make the positioning more dynamic/energetic. Maybe altering her stance a little. Ah well, I'm probably splitting hairs.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Still a way to go yet, just about to start painting Andromeda.

Pinback quite a unique style you got there mate really liking those colors, be interesting to see how that one turns out!

~Jase

Last edited by Rusty; June 16th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm coming to this rather late in the game, but have made a start. It's touch and go as to whether I will finish it in time. But it's a subject I was planning on tackling some day anyway so I thought I'd contribute... I'm also in the mood to get the oils out for a change. More in the mood for that than tablet grinding anyway.

Pose based on http://www.dashinvaine.deviantart.co...ites/#/d1tmqe5
    (upper body anyway).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    staticpen: it looks too close to this-

Last edited by jim12341234; June 16th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rusty, your rendering is quite impressive!

I don't quite get the big eye between those small reptile eyes. Personally, I would get rid of one of them (the central eye or the pair). So far, I found this link about reptile eyes: http://www.anapsid.org/sight.html

It would be great to find some document about the different kind of eyes (diurnal, nocturnal, amphibious, etc.). It's amazing how the environment and the behavior of the creatures affect the size, shape and configuration of their eyes (for example, it seems that hunters have frontally placed eyes while preys usually have laterally placed eyes).

Last edited by LeoListens; June 17th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ jim12341234: While it may be similar, I disagree that it looks too close to the Expose image. There's enough that's different and solid anatomy in Staticpen's image that would make me doubt that he referenced this image directly.

And no disrespect intended, but your user name, join date and the fact that you only have one post makes me suspicious that this is a duplicate account. If that's the case and you think that Staticpen is copying the image, at least post under your own user name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my (overworked) preliminary sketch. I feel like a tool throwing my work in here, but as Bill Cosby used to say on Fat Albert, "If you're not careful, you might learn somethin'." So any advice would be welcome!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel. View Post
    @ jim12341234: While it may be similar, I disagree that it looks too close to the Expose image. There's enough that's different and solid anatomy in Staticpen's image that would make me doubt that he referenced this image directly.

And no disrespect intended, but your user name, join date and the fact that you only have one post makes me suspicious that this is a duplicate account. If that's the case and you think that Staticpen is copying the image, at least post under your own user name.
    I agree. Don't be a creeper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rusty - Really nice classic feel to your image, can't wait to see it finished.

DIMAGYAN - Love the idea and the look on her face, great emotion coming from the image.

Sorry I don't have time for more comments or didn't post a WIP, I don't have anything yet! But I feel like I need to take part in this, just gotta finished up obligatory freelance stuff first. Hopefully post some crits and more comments when I get an image to show.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't have an account because, i don't go to this web site that much, i just merely look around and read some stuff occasionally. I'm a 3D artist,and I was just stating that it looks a like a well know 3d art piece. and it would not let me post if i didn't have an account, i also did not feel like making an elaborate account info/set up for 1 post.

if a sculptor is making an abstract piece of work and didn't notice that it looks like genitals, but everyone else saw that then, its a problem. further more i was just stating that it looked like that piece of work, (i didn't say that they straight up coped it) that's one of the reasons why i posted it up in this thread. a thread of wips, so if they feel like changing it they can before putting that much time into it. and that's another reason why you do lots of thumbnails because the first few ideas are typically stereotypical or of other artwork that's float around in your head.

and if I'm out of place than tell me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Still a way to go yet, just about to start painting Andromeda.

Pinback quite a unique style you got there mate really liking those colors, be interesting to see how that one turns out!

~Jase
    Dude...You're killing me!! That is awesome man, it's good compositionally, has a great value pattern and I really like the colour palette. Leads the eye around well also.
    I surrender haha

40. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great fun to see everyones progress! And thanks to everyone that gave me feedback on my picture.
    Here is a update on mine, still a million things to do. I had problems with her face as I always do. The light on her face doesn't really make sense at the moment either.

Name:  201_andromeda_wip.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  64.2 KB

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1