Artistically Freeing Practices, Methods?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Artistically Freeing Practices, Methods?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Artistically Freeing Practices, Methods?

What are some drawing, or painting, practices you do that are artistically freeing for you? Where you feel you can just let loose without worrying about technical detail. It can simply be a style of drawing/painting where it's the easiest to do, making it relaxing. Methods where you can let it flow out naturally; creatively opening practices let's say.

Last edited by daeyeth; June 10th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put on some heavy metal and sketch like mad until something resembling a drawing comes out. Sometimes I'll go back and refine the sketch, mostly I just leave it in raw form to inspire myself later. It feels great to slam the intense emotion of the music down on paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like what I've been doing lately. Start with a couple of pages of circles or spheres to loosen your arm up, and then do some drawings that aren't actual things. Like the blob stuff in my recent sketchbook pages, they're not actually of anything, and all the anatomy is totally ad-hoc. Loads of fun, and some surprisingly fun stuff comes out of it that I could probably capitalize on if I were headed in that direction right now.

And music of course. Lots of music, it doesn't matter what sort. Long as it's good.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also put on some crazy ass music, then do loads of gestures (usually from pics, but not necessarily) I draw shapes I love. I make chicken scratches. loops. detailed emotes. render quick particle effects (like fire). Then I move on to doing whatever I wanted to do in the first place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I ask because I can't draw from my head, except for the same tired doodled I always do. I try but as soon as I see it's technically hideous, I lose all motivation to continue.

I like the shapes thing, I'll definitely try that. When you guys are sketching, are you thinking about what you are going to be putting on the paper first?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daeyeth View Post
    I like the shapes thing, I'll definitely try that. When you guys are sketching, are you thinking about what you are going to be putting on the paper first?
    Nope! In fact, I try to avoid it if I can. The more I can approach a drawing without preconceptions, the better. I've found with the blob shapes I've been doing, my best results are where I try the least to make it look like something specific.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes I'll do semi-automatic drawings: I start drawing more or less at random without knowing exactly what I'm going to draw, and let the lines suggest something, and then flesh it out...

Or sometimes I'll mess around with loose ink-wash-and-pen, it goes all over the place so you never know what you'll end up with. Or I'll do slapdash mini-paintings with cheap tempera paint.

Or if I need a break from drawing cute things for work, I might draw me some gore. Blood spatters are always fun.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I play with Alchemy a lot. http://al.chemy.org/download/

Putting some really large mark or stain on paper helps. It means "well this already went bad, now to make it better". Be sure when you do stain or mark paper you let it dry if you're going to draw over said mark.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is this Nick Pugh technique which is about doing massive amount of abstract doodles without thinking about it too consciously and just going with the flow. It won't make you draw better but it's a way to deal with cliches - http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...lity-in-Design

I also sometimes play with drawing different solids/ geometric shapes and combine them i perspective into some structures. They doesn't need to have meaning but sometimes end up as simple characters, architecture or some weird machines.

Last edited by Farvus; June 12th, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    There is this Nick Pugh technique which is about doing massive amount of abstract doodles without thinking about it too consciously and just going with the flow
    Although I can't buy the videos, even just the sample of Nick Pugh's process was very helpful. Being able to see the process explains a lot for me. Not to mention he's very eloquent! I definitely may buy his vids one day.

I've tried it only a bit so far but I've found I'm running into the problem of wanting to turn the scribbles into the same stuff I always (attempt to) draw...which circles back to me being frustrated at my technical inefficiencies. I suppose it'll take practice to learn to just turn my brain off and draw as I've never really done that before.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.