Crits Please!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Crits Please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crits Please!

Howdy, I got some really great feedback from last posting! And I want MORE!!! This painting technically, is finished but I like posting in the crit section because to me no piece I do is ever finished But I like to hear waht people think so I can carry it into the next painting.

PS. I dont know if anybody has had this problem but I found that when I post onto CA that my images seem a little "soft". This really bugged me, but I found a solution! Before I post, I take the image into photoshop and slap a sharpen filter on the image. Easy fix! WooHoo! I am INVINCIBLE!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cretorian,

I really like the scene here... I think you've done a great job so far as the styling and the all-around is concerned (concept and dev). It reminds me of the old D&D books, with their 'rough' style and bold linear movements. I appreciate the empty bottom and the triplicated shape of the figure and the two mountains, moving from foregound to back. I should note that those old D&D books are a huge part of why I started drawing in the first place, so I mean all this as a compliment, truly.

All that being said, if I were made to give some advice or crit for you to take with you into the next piece, it would be that while the styling is great, it generally seems flat and somewhat static. Tweaking the pose or adding some motion in the legs (or in the snow - he's trudging, after all ) would help to liven it up a little. Perhaps a thought towards contrasts too... you could sharpen and deepen the scene with some bolder highlights and darker shadows... I get the sense of a bright mountaintop in this one, but there is very little hard sunlight. I realize it is snowing, but I think a little kick in the contrast would bring a better value range, adding depth and interest.

Last, the anatomy is such that it pushes the piece a bit into an anime-ish style that the rest of the work seems to lack. Not really a major issue, but something to consider. I really dig the scene as a whole, nice work - I hope my thoughts spark a thought. Cheers.

- JoBu

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JBurrough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word JBurrough,

Thanks buddy! yeah there alot of things I am unhappy with in this image as far posing and atmosphere are concerned. I like the concept too but my posing is wimpy at best If I were to do it again I probably would picked something that showed the chick he's caring a little more. The shapes on the anatomy are way more stylized than I wanted them to be as well.

Thanks for the crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good overall, but do more thumbnails next time paying special attention to silhouettes and readability.

It took me far to long to figure out that it was a girl flung over his shoulder, and that it was a monster's head on his spear.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to emphasize Truepinkas' point about the readability of the image which is the biggest issue of the piece that I see.
    There are a lot of things that you could have done or not done in terms of posing, accessorizing, coloring, lighting, texturing, etc to make the final image much clearer, which is a shame considering how nicely the image is rendered overall.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the edge between guy and a background is not clear what makes confusion. The part with a corpse could be more dynamic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Danilo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are correct sir! thank you Danilo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everybody who has posted a crit. I think I pretty much agree with everyone about images lack of clarity. I'll find my under drawing and post it up and see what you guys think about that as well. Im sure it'll be the same issues but id still like to hear the comments.

Thanks ya'll keep it ninja!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Just a note on the skin of the characters, since it's something I've been working on recently. You might want to experment with softer shading and blending of tones, to give it a much smoother surface, than say the clothes.

Love it though!

"I try to make everyone's day a little bit more surreal" - Calvin - Calvin & Hobbes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Faceface1991 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.