Art: 2 Questions about digital painting (skin tones & brushes)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 2 Questions about digital painting (skin tones & brushes)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2 Questions about digital painting (skin tones & brushes)

http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14033
    1. I just looked at this tutorial and had some questions about skin tones. I never knew that you you can make excellent skin tones with only 2 or 3 colors...? I have always used tons of different colors, and it always turns out shitty. For instance, if i try to add a shadow to a persons eye, it will look like a bruise rather than a darker shade of their skin. I dont really know what swrong though. Any ideas? I would just like some info on the way skin tones are set up and how i can make good tones without having the bruised look.

2. What media types do you usually use when youre roughing out the colors for a painting (for Painter 8). Like when you are blocking in colors, adding vague dark and light spots etc. I have tried gouche, palet knife, etc but they dont really work right. it just smears and doesn't blend right (it replaces the color underneath rather than combining with it). and yeah, i know about opacity, but it still doesn't work the way i see it on these tutorials.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually let me add something to question 1..

I am looking at that tutorial again and he said as long as you use the same hue but a darker tone it will work... i think this is my problem. (maybe?) I just randomly pick colors darker or lighter in the general color area (like tan/pink for skin).

Am i supposed to choose one color and move only the darkness slider (i dunno if thats hue, tone, intensity blah blah).. or do i move the actual color slider (the one that goes from ROYGBIV). or both...

? thanks. sorry if you dont understand my question. if you dont ill try to clarify

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 2