Trying to improve
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying to improve

Hey all, This is my first post to CA forums( please hold applause). Would like to hear thoughts on some of my work. Will be posting more soon soo look out for my handle! I need all the help I can get!

Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad, but there is room for improvement.

The perspective on the "tank" is boring. Since it is closer to the viewer than the dragon, it would pay off to enhance that sense of proximity. Also, it doesn't point at the dragon, nor do its guns, so it's quite unclear what is it firing at or why is it there. I want to see it as firing at the dragon, but it isn't, so the effect is baffling.

The lighting on the "tank" is too dim, hard to discern. Either work out a better backlighting, or silhouette it. Lighting looks rather contrived in general. The lighting on the dragon is out right impossible. If it's silhouetted by the flames, what is it lit by? If it's the gunfire from the tank, then why isn't the tank lit brighter than the dragon by it?

There are no falling shadows and very little occlusion.

There are lots of boring, repetitive textures in the rocks. Also the rocket trails are on two planes, instead of being spread far through the depth of the field of view.

The flames are framing the dragon too neatly.

The far background seems way too close, on the same depth as the dragon. Add aerial perspective, maybe? The perspective in general is very odd, and does not suggest space.

Also, the rider on the dragon is humongous. Is that intentional? That guy could pick the tank up like a suitcase if he stood next to it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with arenhaus, about the tank in the composition.
    As a suggestion, maybe, if the viewer was at the point of view of the tank, (like looking at the scene as seen through someone's eyes seated on the rear of the tank, and having the tank closer in the lower left corner, perhaps) rather than being somewhere off in the distance.
    I also got the impression that the dragon-rider seemed too large for the scene.
    Even if he is a giant, it just doesn't seem right.
    Those missiles seem to be coming from nowhere. I guess I would rather see a source, than to guess.
    It is a solid start though. The colors and painting quality seem pretty good, as well. I hope that was helpful.
    ~Zombifried

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could use more interesting camera angle, also the fire in the back and the thrill ont have explaination

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danilo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wells thanks a ton peeps. I agree that the Tank/6 wheel thingy could use some spice. My intention was to have it spinning towards the dragon A.k.a about to hit the Dino Beast with bullets and fire. I think I just got bored with it, and only cared about painting the dino and his rider.

And yes the rider is supposed to be a giant. And I know why it looks off....at least I think I do. It probably looks off because his proportions are more akin to a standard human (head height). Imagine a character with the hulks proportions sitting on the Dino. Might make more sense right?

I probably wont be making any changes to this painting though. Not because I think its perfect or anything. But because the client was satisfied and I simply have too much painting and drawing to do. I need to let this one go and carry the lessons learned into the next painting.

Please keep an eye out for my handle peeps im going to be uploading alot of stuff soon that you can trash, mangle, and spit on to your hearts content!

Thank you,
    arenhaus
    zombifried
    and
    Danilo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks great, i like the concept. i think you should study perspective a little bit. And also, the flames in the back look a bit too uniform

Please visit
    My Sketchbook

and
    my DeviantArt Page

To contact me, email me at: hpsvg@hotmail.com

I hope you enjoy my artwork!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MeBabyMe For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.