Science Evidence From NASA There Might Be Life On Titan
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Evidence From NASA There Might Be Life On Titan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Evidence From NASA There Might Be Life On Titan

Researchers at the space agency believe they have discovered vital clues that appeared to indicate that primitive aliens could be living on the planet.

Data from Nasa's Cassini probe has analysed the complex chemistry on the surface of Titan, which experts say is the only moon around the planet to have a dense atmosphere.

They have discovered that life forms have been breathing in the planet’s atmosphere and also feeding on its surface’s fuel.

Astronomers claim the moon is generally too cold to support even liquid water on its surface.

The research has been detailed in two separate studies.

The first paper, in the journal Icarus, shows that hydrogen gas flowing throughout the planet’s atmosphere disappeared at the surface. This suggested that alien forms could in fact breathe.

The second paper, in the Journal of Geophysical Research, concluded that there was lack of the chemical on the surface.

Scientists were then led to believe it had been possibly consumed by life.

Researchers had expected sunlight interacting with chemicals in the atmosphere to produce acetylene gas. But the Cassini probe did not detect any such gas.

Chris McKay, an astrobiologist at Nasa Ames Research Centre, at Moffett Field, California who led the research, said: “We suggested hydrogen consumption because it's the obvious gas for life to consume on Titan, similar to the way we consume oxygen on Earth.

"If these signs do turn out to be a sign of life, it would be doubly exciting because it would represent a second form of life independent from water-based life on Earth.”

Professor John Zarnecki, of the Open University, added: “We believe the chemistry is there for life to form. It just needs heat and warmth to kick-start the process.

“In four billion years’ time, when the Sun swells into a red giant, it could be paradise on Titan.”

They warned, however, that there could be other explanations for the findings.

But taken together, they two indicate two important conditions necessary for methane-based life to exist.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...urns-moon.html

That's pretty cool if it's true

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So they're saying they found aliens that live on farts?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha! I just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut's "The Sirens of Titen" !
    I love it when it's found another crazy fantasy of his turns out to be somewhat close to reality

i'm gonna read Nasa's article in thorough later, but as i remember it's been assumed for some time now that if any life would be found in our solar system it's most likely to be on Titan...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Mark Allen says in the NASA article, it would be prudent to first rule out inorganic and non-biological explanations before jumping to "we found alien life, first contact guys!"

Nevertheless, this is brilliantly exciting news - I think Titan is, apart from earth, by far the most interesting celestial body in our solar system, and I'm looking forward to see what else the Cassini probe uncovers in the Saturn planetary system.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am cautiously really freakin' excited about this. It would be one of the most profound discoveries in history if alien life did turn out to be the correct explanation for this phenomena.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and if it's true "pretty cool" are not the words. It's fucking awesome - it changes everything about how we think of life in the universe and greatly changes our estimated odds of finding intelligent life in the universe. Find life on Titan or Enceladus and you can be sure to find it elsewhere without looking too hard for it - it may not be as rare as we've come to think.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Sounds like a bunch of wild bullshit speculation to me. Is it just me or does this "We believe the chemistry is there for life to form. It just needs heat and warmth to kick-start the process" sound more like alchemy than hard science.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Titan. That'd be an awesome name for the first place to discover alien life.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
    Wow! Sounds like a bunch of wild bullshit speculation to me. Is it just me or does this "We believe the chemistry is there for life to form. It just needs heat and warmth to kick-start the process" sound more like alchemy than hard science.
    Wow! Sounds like playing semantics for inferring accusations of pseudoscience to me. It's not alchemy. It's reasonable speculation with what seems to be a solid scientific basis. Conclusions will be drawn once we do know everything. They said that in the article. Hypotheses are a good thing.

Why do we always wind up with at least one person who believes the people who are doing the work are not qualified?

Brendan Noeth

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we should invade now, while they're still single-celled.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With science, you start with evidence then you work towards a conclusion. Right now the evidence says life seems very probable on Titan. It would be incorrect to say "Oh yeah, life is definitely there for sure." as would saying that life isn't there at all. One may want clean-cut 100% black and white answers but they're not going to get them. You'll have your answer when we send a probe that takes some samples and pics of the life there. Until then it's looking at the information collected so far and making statements based on it.

Of course one has to understand that they're reading commentary by the media outlet. If you have questions that require more in-depth answers, then go read the published papers on what they found. The media tends to exaggerate things. Obviously "Nasa discovers alien life" is more exiting than "Nasa discovered some things that could point to microbial life but there could be other explanations as well."

Until there is more evidence nobody is going to say any concrete statements. And they shouldn't because that's science.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hope it turns out to be true, but it definitely seems like speculation to me more than anything concrete. I hope they find a way to get more information!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I for one would like to take this opportunity to bow down to our new Titanian overlords, may the rule of Q'ltypezacath'ptl the All Encompassing Gaseous Form and Bob the One Who Builds last a thousand years!

Life or not, exciting and positive news!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's reasonable speculation with what seems to be a solid scientific basis.
    Like 90 years of failed experiments?

It's much more exciting to let their imaginations run wild with dreams of being the first to discover E.T.'s. I suppose the thousands of other possible explanations are just boring and would receive no media attention and maybe less funding.

Why don't they take the known chemicals on Titan, create an artificial atmosphere that mimics Titan's and add some heat. Seriously, if that's what they say it takes for life to spontaneously generate why wouldn't it? Maybe throw some crystals in there too while they're at it.

Here's my hypothesis. Alien life forms have been syphoning the Hydrogen for their planet Xygon-518 because of a hydrogen scarcity on their planet. Why not right? I mean, they probably have cloaking devices if they are already capable of interstellar travel, so we'd never know. Science!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like 90 years of failed experiments?

It's much more exciting to let their imaginations run wild with dreams of being the first to discover E.T.'s. I suppose the thousands of other possible explanations are just boring and would receive no media attention and maybe less funding.

Why don't they take the known chemicals on Titan, create an artificial atmosphere that mimics Titan's and add some heat. Seriously, if that's what they say it takes for life to spontaneously generate why wouldn't it? Maybe throw some crystals in there too while they're at it.

Here's my hypothesis. Alien life forms have been syphoning the Hydrogen for their planet Xygon-518 because of a hydrogen scarcity on their planet. Why not right? I mean, they probably have cloaking devices if they are already capable of interstellar travel, so we'd never know. Science!
    So you're basing your criticisms off of one sentence, taken out of any real scientific context, in a hyped news article? Read the papers, then come back and criticize. Or hell, go to school and get a degree in biology then use the evidence to prove them wrong.

Cause right now you're taking "there could be life because hydrogen and other gas levels near the surface are missing. But that doesn't exclude geological or other explanations, it doesn't have to be life." and turning it into "LOL THEY'RE USING FAKE SCIENCE TO FOOL US BY SAYING ET IS INVISIBLE."

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So cool.
    I suppose the thousands of other possible explanations are just boring and would receive no media attention and maybe less funding.
    Huh? Other explanations are explicitly put forward in the very papers in question, if anything there is a bias against assuming life. On the Nasa website Mark Allen, principal investigator with the NASA Astrobiology Institute Titan team says "Scientific conservatism suggests that a biological explanation should be the last choice after all non-biological explanations are addressed".

Why don't they take the known chemicals on Titan, create an artificial atmosphere that mimics Titan's and add some heat. Seriously, if that's what they say it takes for life to spontaneously generate why wouldn't it?
    Firstly, there have been countless attempt at generating life in the lab. Many have had promising results, no actual life as yet, but a bunch of fundamental chemical and molecular building blocks have been shown to spontaneously form. Why no actual life generating itself in labs? Perhaps scientists are currently missing some critical factor, or perhaps life spontaneously generating is exceptionally rare, it might only happen once in a million years amid a whole sea of the right chemicals, but just once is enough, planets and chemicals exist a lot longer than test tubes.

This talk on youtube from one of the scientists studying the mars meteorite ALH 84001 puts forward a fairly strong case that alien life is the most convincing explanation for the structures found on the meteorite. So, basically I think it's safe now to assume that life is abundant in the universe, which is so awesome.

Is your hypothesis testable? Because the "life on Titan" hypothesis is testable, that's the whole point, it's been tested by the Cassini spacecraft, and the results fall in favour of life on Titan. We can't be 100% certain yet, but this certainly isn't a case of guesswork or over-active imagination as you seem to imply.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually the laboratory tests for Titan's "primordial soup" have been very promising. It seems that nitrogen and methane with the right amount of UV exposure will start forming complex molecules and polymers - some the building blocks for life.

You also need to realize that they didn't stumble on these finds unexpectedly and go "we don't know what that is, it must be life!" Hypotheses that life exists on Titan have around for a while, and now many of the stipulations in those hypotheses are turning out to be true. And still the general scientific reaction is "We don't know what the cause for these discrepancies is. It's probably some weird meteorological thing or odd reaction or something. It could also be life."

These guys have quite enough healthy skepticism themselves, they really don't need your reminding.

Brendan Noeth

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More shocking developments! Users find evidence of troll-based life on this thread!

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lilnebo View Post
    Titan. That'd be an awesome name for the first place to discover alien life.
    That's what I was thinking when I read the title!

Titanites... Titanians... Titans... OMFG! O_O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Titians > Martians

With a name like Titan theres no reason we shouldn't find life

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A planet full of these?!? ....nooooooo!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we really find primitive life in Titan, I wonder what the religions of the world would say...

Christianity: "Jesus died for the Titanians' sins too!"

Islam: "ALLAHU ACKBAR!!!!"

Judaism: "Yes, yes, but the important issue is - are they circumcised or not?"

All kidding aside, this is really cool news. Was I the only one who thought of James Cameron's Avatar when I heard of this?

"...up ahead...was Titan - you grew up hearing about it, but I never figured I would actually be going there"

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    A planet full of these?!? ....nooooooo![/yt]
    Naw

Titan has long been the best bet on where we would find ET life within our solar system.

As far as i can see, it is still very much a vein hope.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hopefully the Gulf spill doesn't reach Titan.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Move to vote for putting giant humanoid warmachines deep under the titan surface, only to wait millions of years to beam into them using a huge storm cloud and then harvest the primitive lifeforms for their blood, which we all know is gonna be oil and then justify it by saying zeus commanded us to contain the titans.

Crit for a crit!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Hopefully the Gulf spill doesn't reach Titan.
    Wouldn't matter...on Titan it actually rains a form of gasoline. Not making this up.

Maybe the Titanians can establish an embassy in the Gulf Of Mexico...

On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.