What makes ripping into a new sketchbook so... frustratingly awkward?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face What makes ripping into a new sketchbook so... frustratingly awkward?

I'm wanting to burst into my very first ever Moleskine sketchbook. Though I'm actually fairly confident about my drawings these days, it's still pretty tough to see what I want to start off with.

Any ideas?
    Tips to prevent this problem now, and in the future?
    Trust me, I really need the help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I start a new sketchbook I get the same feeling. I usually start with doing a quick masterstudy or something else from reference. I am more confident that way that it will turn out good (I like to get a good start for a new sketchbook). The other thing you can do is to skip the first couple of pages. Then, after a few drawings getting you warmed up and comfortable with it, go back and fill in the pages you skipped.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is your personal workbook. Don't just think about drawing pretty pictures, don't be afraid to write things down in it too. Your sketchbook is there to help you solve problems in art.

The only reason it's awkward is because it's "clean" so you gotta break it in. Start with Anything to be honest, I found that sometimes the most odd ideas come when you start just doing stuff like crazy lines and shading on a paper. You might see something in that line, erase out stuff to create a silhouette and go from there.

Write something in it at first like some goals instead of making a drawing.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GREAT IDEAS.
    I think I'll start by just really making the sketchbook look like it belongs to me. Sort of mess with the outside. Stickers and whatnot. I'm sure it'll make me feel more at home.

Putting goals at the beginning is another great idea. Though I really go to my sketch book for either sillyness or just general material in which to do my study sketches in. I think it'll be good to include a point to my sketchbook this time though.

I wish I had some stamps to help out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah oh man... i just got my first Moleskine sketchbook too. Two weeks passed and I still haven't touched it for the same reason as you. I have tons of $2 sketchbooks filled with crap and I want to make the Moleskine something more special, but i just can't touch it, it's so new and pure and... I just can't decide what to do with it. I can't make the first step

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Set it on fire.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm at the point where I just sketch on white recycled paper now lol.. I dont feel so bad at 5 bucks a ream

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    it's so new and pure and... I just can't decide what to do with it. I can't make the first step
    Haha. LOL. Well at least I'm not alone.
    I actually think putting it into fire for a second wouldn't hurt.
    I've been doing things to just make it seem like it's a sketchbook I made myself.
    That kind of mentality is helping me quite a bit.
    I even know what at least one of the things are that I'm going to do with the first 2 page spread. I'm going to write a theme, a few thoughts and goals. Then I'll go on and start doing what I really WANT to do. It's like taking the first nibble of a dark chocolate french truffle. I'm want to enjoy it... So I'm going to let myself.

I think I've actually almost gone a month just drawing on other things because I couldn't touch my first hardcover sketchbook. The last couple ones I got on special at the art store I frequent and got HUGE recycled sketchbooks with a fat volume of pages for a good 2 dollars each. I went crazy buying those. Those were pretty easy to get started.

aaaanyway, back to deflouring myself and my Moleskine.
    Keep up to date on your moleskine start. I wanna know what it's been like for others too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you might find this page to be a bit of an inspiration on starting a new sketchbook, especially a fancy moleskine one.

When I do anything in my sketchbook, I try to keep in mind what my animation design instructor told me. A sketchbook is not a book. It's a mad labratory, where you do experiments and create monsters that the world must never see. It's not for display, it's for you. It's an extension of your brain, and to be honest some of the weirder parts of your brain sometimes, where you can do your thinking and half-thinking using your hands instead of neurons.

That whole concept inspires me, and makes me want to get WAY weirder in my sketchbooks than I have so far. And it takes a bit of the pressure of all those pristine pages off my shoulders.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I start off my sketchbooks by writing "fuck it" on the first page. Then all is well

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddieee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just use plain copy paper at home. There is no pressure at all because it's so cheap and I don't need to think how to make it look good as a whole. I put approved sketches in a drawer and throw the bad ones on the floor. My productivity increased a great deal when I switched to this method. Sketchbooks are good on the go.

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just don't think about it. Usually I'll just bring it over to a friend's and do a doodle of him or her. 'Cuz then you get asspats for the first thing you doodled in your new book. Hell yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, man, I have the opposite problem! I love starting a new sketchbook, but once I've started making headway in it, I always realize that I've drawn horribly and that the rest of the sketchbook will be forever marred by my horrible start. So then I switch to another sketchbook...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Amarok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovian M View Post
    I just don't think about it. Usually I'll just bring it over to a friend's and do a doodle of him or her. 'Cuz then you get asspats for the first thing you doodled in your new book. Hell yeah.
    this is a good one

actually the best thing to do is just not think about it.
    but i had the same thing when i started a moleskine. never used it a lot. still dont know if it was the moleskine pressure on my shoulders, or that i just didnt like the paper...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yell at yourself in writing.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck it, I'm just making my own sketchbook out of plain old copy paper and a 3 ring binder.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My Portfolio:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IT'S JUST A SKETCHBOOK!
    You're SUPPOSED to fill it up with crappy drawings! Where the hell ELSE are they supposed to go?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    IT'S JUST A SKETCHBOOK!
    You're SUPPOSED to fill it up with crappy drawings! Where the hell ELSE are they supposed to go?
    The 9th Circle of Hell?

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    IT'S JUST A SKETCHBOOK!
    deviantART

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    deviantART
    /thread

My Portfolio:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel so out of the loop, don't even know what a mole-skin sketchbook is =(

Don't draw much on paper anymore, but when I do I grab a "Dos Equis".......err I just grab some copy paper and doodle around. Or draw on the back of pages in my old sketchbooks...hell yea for the environment =)

Last edited by Mike D; June 6th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't usaully rip my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha. This thread is pretty great. I'm getting all kinds of ideas.

Ya know. I've really never treated a sketchbook as something so private. Probably because I've never really felt much need for privacy in my life. But then, I suppose It does degrade the appreciation of when I do let someone get a little peek into what I have in there. The mad laboratory is a great way to think of it. But I think I'll look at it more like my personal Illuminati/Freemason occult Pandora's box of mystery and discovery ^_^ ha, that actually get's me pretty excited to put things in it already. Especially with people always being confused as to what my brain patterns could possibly be (i'm an odd person in... person)

soooooo, I think I'll start off my moleskine with some kind of Freemason style passage. Ending the passage with the simple phrase, FUCK YEAH. Inspired by that other thread and Eddieee.

Now I need to make sure I stuff things into the little folder in the back to stick onto the pages later... I also need stickers and chocolate.

^_^ I'm already having fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is why I prefer to draw on computer paper

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its hard to start a new sketch book in my opinion because you want to set a precedent for all the work you do after that first page. You want to set your self up by having that first page look friken sweet and then try to out do your self with every next page of work. The problem with that kind of thinking though is that if you are really out doing your self with every new drawing then the first one in your book is always gonna look somewhat bad after you have more exp.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys..
    umm... what exactly is a Sketchbook? I know what it is for, but... are there any special sketchbooks i can purchase? any special papers or something?

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's why I like ringbinders. If it's total crap, you can rip the page out, except I draw on both sides. Scared of drawing crap - better stick to post-it notes.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never tear out pages. My massive failures must burn into my brain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinamo View Post
    hey guys..
    umm... what exactly is a Sketchbook? I know what it is for, but... are there any special sketchbooks i can purchase? any special papers or something?
    Here you go....

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend and I found the solution to this long ago: we skip the first page and leave it blank. That first page seems destined to define the rest of the sketchbook somehow or another. Leave it blank the make a mess of the rest of the book. Sketchbooks are for all your random thoughts and bad drawings. Just assume no one but you will ever see it.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Keng For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.