• yeah

48 34.78%
  • no

3 2.17%
  • you suck. go die in a ditch.

18 13.04%
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Thanks
    Hi forrest, ive questions again yay. Do you usually just do studies before an illustration and throughout it, then apply it from imagination to the illustration? is it how youve been working for the blue eyed girl ( with the bow and the deer)? This illustration is really beautiful from you so far

I kind of miss the texture you put into your pieces, of course not to over texture but the effect from post #542 on page 19 of your SB was really eye capturing. Maybe you could try incorporating a bit more texture to your pieces sometimes.. When you add texture to places in your illustration these days the texture just appears to sit on the surface often. I don't know how to word it, it just doesn't look like the surface is really manipulated

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah I will get one made as soon as I get a little free time, those arms bro....! How do you achieve such realistic skin? something I struggle with a lot

Thanks
    Pou Yep, exactly how I do it. Sometimes, if I can, I'll try to do studies that could pertain to whatever things I'm working on. So Sometimes I'll do a study and it's for client work but also can be applied to some personal illustrations or sketches too. And I know what you mean with the textures. First I overtextured stuff and now I make everything smooth, I've gotta find a nice balance

Stephen H Ha, I don't know really, values? Values and subtle color tones that you wouldn't think of using like green and some blue and pink here and there. Also to know where to texture can help too, I'm still learning this but I find it helpful to kind of scratch in skin texture with a thin brush in some areas, it kinda gives it a realistic rough look. But again I've just been experimenting with that

Not much for today, almost done with some client stuff so I'll have more time to do other stuff after I get some mutha flippin money!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Yeah, that's what I struggle with, I never know what colour to put into the skin. Also out of curiosity do you have a timetable at the moment? like the one on page 1 from a few years ago? I am curious as to what your day of studying is like now

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stephen H: Nah, the timetable didn't really work for me, I don't like having to do the same thing day after day. Now I try to make a to do list of studies and work either the night before or the morning of. This works for me and is flexible for doing specific studies that can be applied easier.

So I haven't posted in awhile since over the weekend I was pretty busy with having my first table in artist alley at a con. Small con, but still really fun. And I broke even and made a profit so yay!

Anyway, I got another client image I'm workin on, here's some studies for it and a couple doodles

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Need to simplify shadows more in this

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Damn man. Your stuff is so good .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So I was having issues staying logged in on here awhile back so I wasn't posting, I'll just show what I've been up to these last few weeks through a new thing I'm doin called "In an Art Shell".

I draw with crayons!
    I draw with crayons!
    I draw with crayons!
    I draw with crayons!
    I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Holy crap you have been busy! that's some incredible work! What are you working on at the moment?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Stephen: I'm just kinda noodling around and experimenting. Trying to step away from my portfolio a bit and relax

Man it's been awhile since I've posted, just kinda taking it easy right now. Also working on some client stuff as well which I'm gonna do some studies for tomorrow so maybe I'll post that tomorrow. Maybe. I don't know. Possibly. Ok bye.

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    So here's another week in an art shell that I forgot to post on here yesterday. And the rest is all from today. Just doodles and some quick studies for some client work

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    So wow, haven't posted in a week. But I have a good reason! I was busy!

This week was crazy with tons of family coming in for my sister's Bat Mitzvah which was also this weekend, as well as my birthday. So lots of dinners, driving around to places, and preparing for the Bat Mitzvah. But the craziness is finally dying down and I can start getting back to art, but it was nice to have a little break for a while.

But anyway, here is what I did get done this week, not much but still something.

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/ar...ek-7-477873443

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Wow, your art is really inspiring! I also really like your 'in an art shell', it seems like a good way to look back over the recent art you've done. I was wondering, how long do you spend on art a day on average?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunchdebunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Hunchdebunch: thank you! I usually spend 8-10 hours a day on drawing and painting, that's going to go way down once this new job starts though ha.

Sorry I've been bad about posting. I might be getting worse at it here soon, or better, not sure yet. So I may have gotten a studio gig, I'm not sure how much I can say exactly so I won't say what studio I've been hired by. But I'm doing a test week for them starting tomorrow to see if I can match the style they need. If I can then I'll be hired on to the project they're working on for about 4 weeks or so. This is huge for me, I've never had an opportunity like this and I'm really happy and excited about it. It's definitely not the perfect job, it's nowhere near the kind of stuff I like to paint and it's certainly not in the style I like to paint, but this is opening up so many opportunities for me for future work and for work experience. This means I'll only have about 4 spare hours every day for painting/chores/girlfriend time (excluding weekends, weekends are open). If I did my math correctly I'll roughly have around 40 hours or so still available if I make time for the studio work, sleep, and social time with girlfriend/friends. As long as I stay focused I can still get a lot of stuff done in that amount of time. So, wish me luck :p

For now here's some stuff:

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Here's some junk from today!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Well that studio job is sucking the life out of me but its good money. I'm very grateful and its been a crazy different experience compared to what I'm used to. I'm starting to try and work out a schedule so I can get the maximum amount of work possible while staying consistent with necessities like spending time with my girlfriend so she doesn't hate me and doing my daily workout so I don't become fat and lazy and irritable

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/ar...ek-9-481236307

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    your colour studies of anatomy are always crazy good like that guy in the top right of the last pose, how on earth do you get it to look so great?
    What kind of brushes do you use for that type of thing / skin?
    keep up the great work!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stephen H I just use the same brushy brush when I paint, at least lately I have been. The only reason anything looks like the way it's supposed to look is because I happened to get ok values and some natural color variation. At least that's why I think so :p

So the studio has been keeping me nice and busy (not really nice but whatevs). Here's what I was able to do over the last couple weeks. It's helped having a personal project to work on and do specific things for. And it also really helps that while doing it it's simultaneously requiring me to do studies so I'll stop sucking over time. Maybe. We'll see.

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/ar...253A1411360987

I draw with crayons!

Thanks
    Good work as always! I admire you for your consistency with your job at the studio, your daily things to worry about and doing personal stuff as well, it is so much work and you're just doing it. I'm gonna try to get that still life painting done every morning too, one of Dave's talks first got me into doing it but then I got lazy. But if you manage to do it even before going to work I really have no excuses any more.
    The way you do studies is also pretty cool and seems to be very efficient, I especially dig the studies in the upper left I'll look into doing stuff like that but the linework argh so difficult :/ Anyways
    I know that you know tons of stuff about painting and color and all that so it's weird and hard to give any critique for me, just noticed that you are using some of the same green tones in the foreground and midground in these landscapes and in the dudes' background environment as well and I thought that's normally like flatening things out a bit?! Anyways just something I noticed, it's actually not looking flat in this case so that's kinda weird but whatever
    Keep posting!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24