UPDATED: Taking a great online class with TAD starting 07-12?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which class would you be interested in taking with TAD starting in July?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Figure One - Mark English-John English-Sterling Hundley

83 28.82%
  • * Fundamentals of Light and Form - Dorian Iten- Brent Watkinson - plus guest instructor

105 36.46%
  • * Sketchbook - Brad Rigney (Cryptcrawler) / George Pratt / Sterling Hundley

80 27.78%
  • * Digital Photography for Artists (Brent Watkinson and guest)

15 5.21%
  • * Color and Composition- Jason Manley - Anita Kunz - Gary Kelley (Guest) - Terry Brown (Guest)- .

145 50.35%
  • * Linear Perspective - Marshall Vandruff + Professional Guests

50 17.36%
  • * Media One - Jon Foster - George Pratt- John English - Andrew Jones

48 16.67%
  • * I would take two or more classes if I could attend part time!

120 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Taking a great online class with TAD starting 07-12?

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,551 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Follows
    Following

UPDATED: Taking a great online class with TAD starting 07-12?

There may be a handful of spots left in some of the TAD classes which we are considering opening up to Non-TAD students for this semester only. Do you want to improve your education and portfolio? Would you be interested in taking a single online class with TAD if there are any remaining seats?

When I teach my color theory classes I get the same answer every time, to an important question. "How many of you got this info in art school?". Without fail there is not one student who got all of it in their entire four years of art school. Given that, I understand the value of these classes.

A. Classes would be for only this semester beginning July 12 2010.
    B. Tuition would be USD 195/month over seven months or USD 1280.00 up front or in two USD 640.00 installments in July/Aug for this semester
    *instructors will vary at times as there are a number of guest professionals and instructors planned for each key class above.

I wanted to see what people thought about this as there may be a few spots open which could be filled by artists who are looking to add to their education with information that can actually improve their work and help their careers.

We look forward to your answers. Again, this is just a poll to see if there is interest. Classes are subject to availability.

Classes begin July 12 and end December 10th.

Best,

Jason Manley

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jason Manley; June 5th, 2010 at 03:27 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted!

A question: most of the titles are pretty much self explanatory in term of content, but what are these classes curriculum? :
    - Sketchbook
    - Media One

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil_J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interested for sure.

A question though, would this class would be good for credit for those of us interested in attending TAD full time next year?

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,551 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TAD classes do not have grades. When a student can show they truly know the info, they move on. If not, then it is back to the drawing board, wacom, or easel until practice gets you there. That is how art learning truly works. If you take a class and your work demonstrates all of the information presented you would not have to take the class again and could take an elective instead, if you take the full program next year, and if seats are available when you register.

Regarding curriculum, the sketchbooks class covers a full variety of lectures, demonstrations, and presentations associated with the development of ideas, and in particular your own Personal Point of View, which is key. It covers both digital and traditional assignments and fully utilizes the process used at TAD to develop images and concepts.

The Media 1 class is a comprehensive class with demonstrations, presentations, and assignments covering oil, watercolor, ink, dry media, photoshop and painter tools for creating art. Technique, process, and method is shown and explained in full. Students are encouraged to experiment and push beyond their comfort zones in order to develop fluency in a variety of media which can be used to create personal work and professional art.

Thanks for voting so far. If you are serious please vote and we will contact those who are interested when spots come available. It is first come first serve at TAD and we will help you to the very best of our ability.

We look forward to this coming semester.

Jason Manley

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goodness I would die to take part in the colour/composition class. Sadly I'm on the other side of the world and a poor starving student at that. But what you provide sounds absolutely wonderful. And despite being in an art class/school right now. I'm certainly not learning anything from what you're to provide! *woes*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!

I can't do it this semester, but if the classes remain an open option at that price, I'd love to give it a try the next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would certainly be interested in classes but at the moment I simply can't afford it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be surely interested, the only reason i didn't send in my enrollment form is because of the monetary issue. But if this 3 month class is a fraction of the price, it will surely help my career. Where can we sign up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would definitely be interested in attending these classes. I would have to make a budget over the course of a couple of months to be able to afford it though. Hopefully, you will get some good results and have these classes available in the near future.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matthew White
    Concept Artist/Illustrator
    Portfolio: http://white-matt.blogspot.com/
    LinkeIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/matthewwhite2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This would be simply amazing, to be able to take 1 or 2 courses online, at an affordable rate! Any big-time colleges I've found either require leaving my country and paying enormous bills, so I've always had to say no and keep dreaming.

My biggest lack of progression is due to lack of confidence, lack of confidence due to lack of practice/study/education.

A kick in the butt like this, from some amazing professionals, would be a wonderful idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could consider this ;O really.
    But might be too late for me right now. Besides learning from kings of concept art would feel way too flattering and
    Simply, there are more skilled people who want in.

It just looks amazing it's all i can say and i could not agree more with Rashka, myself i belive TAD will be something BIG in future. You know, something that everyone will wanna be in.

And for anyone who is just able to get into there, and has enough skill to be worthy: GET IN, i belive you wont regret it.

Edit:

But im considering here, and Jason, if i can ask 2 questions: what if; student is not for concept art career, but to learn to become classical artist through theese "modern" teachings, since i mean everything is good to learn, and basically, if there is any teacher who learned even something in Atelier or anything alike, it's after all the information that passed through generations to this moment Isin't it the same as if atelier in this case? Just better?

And secondly, if i'm not technically skilled yet, (i gotta learn first anatomy and all, and i mean completely.) and still student, but i tell you, i do have the passion to work/study for 10 hours easily , and i mean. I really doubt this but, is it enough?

Last edited by J-P Nihtinen; June 5th, 2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: To think further, i have much more to say*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason, great offer. Just so you know if TAD was fully part time I would sign up tonight, even if I didn't get a scholarship.

For me it's a problem because I have a well enough paid job in the games industry but I don't have enough money to pay the fees AND not work. If it was part time I would happily pay the fees even if it takes me 5 or 6 years to finish the course .

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm definitely interested and hope I get the cash for it by then, when is the latest paying date for the first month of july? and is it 195$ per month for single subject of our choice for a 7 months period?

Thank you for presenting this opportunity!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wont be able to attend, lack of funds. I'm sure it's going to be very worth while/money

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to know pricing per class for the unit. I won't have enough for full tuition, but if a single class costs a fraction of full tuition I might be able to afford it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would be great to attend Sketchbook, Color&Composition and Media !
    I couldn't cope with the full monthly fee for now but 1-2 classes for part of the price is a wonderfull opportunity! Will there be some kind of competition for the places?. When/where should we sign up?.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

I voted for light and form, color and comp, and sketchbook.

I'd definitely be interested in taking a class, but I was wondering how an art class works online, how far in advance we had to sign up for a monthly payment plan, and what the light and form class and color and comp classes are about. I don't understand how critiques are given and how the teaching is done. Is it over a streaming video or something?

I am planning to move in August so taking an online class would be easiest for me as I will not have a car to take a class at a community college or anything.

What are the advantages of paying to take a class over doing art on our own?

Thanks!

Edit: PS - Do we need to apply to the program with a portfolio or anything if we are only taking 1 class? Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I would not be interested in this class.
    1. I think the cost is terribly high.
    2. Colors appear differently on different computer monitors.
    3. I have received quality information from rented or bought DVD's.
    4. I prefer to take any class on color in a classroom setting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this a great idea for people who can not afford the full TAD program, Hearing the words of wisdom from a brad Rigney or Marshall Vandruff would be well worth the money. How do we sign up? Will there be a separate enrollment form for these classes?

Slechtvalk is offline Your current user title is? Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to see some Industrial Design courses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vote

This sounds like a promising alternative. Even for those like myself who were accepted at TAD but simply can't afford the tuition. From my specific situation, after working in the art industry (hooray for NDA's) for awhile now I would like to view a syllabus before hand to see if it's something I'm not currently doing. Of course I'm not currently being tutored by the masters at CA specifically, but just wondering what the sketchbook course is all about.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting...pity i live in europe : /

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm leaning towards yes but there are a lot of questions still.

What will be in the program(s)? Color concept, drawing fund., 2D design, 3D design, etc. And, how will this be presented in the online course?

For example, will the instructor use 3D modeling to complement an industrial design course online or will they use live video to present something like creating a clay sculpture? Or a mixture of both?

And, how does this benefit the user online versus taking this class with a physical teacher? What can I get from the teachers that I can't from a DVD?

I've taken a class on CGTalk and know how valuable an online course can be so this could be something I would be looking onto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a good idea in general, especially as a sample for those who perhaps couldn't attend Discovery.

While I am interested in taking any one of them, I will be taking a full-time semester at my current school, so it would depend on how much this would conflict.

For example, how much total estimated time per week (lecture and work) will these be?
    And also, it would take place on a weekday, right? I know they can be watched on demand, but if I couldn't actually attend a single lecture (due to classes at my current school) to ask questions and otherwise participate, then it would practically just be a subscription for online videos.

Maybe, someday, TAD could offer part-time classes on the weekend for those of us who would have more time on the weekends?
    (I'm not necessarily asking for that now since I know this is just getting started, but I think it would be a good idea.)

(Though it did occur to me that some international students may also find some of the class times inconvenient but will just deal with it... so maybe suggesting weekend part time classes is just wishy-washy?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TAD

I'm interested, but like all of the other posts here, there are still lots of questions to be answered before I could commit.

Mostly, why are we paying for 7 months when there are only 5 months of classes? July 12 to December 10 is 5 months.

Also:
    What is the class schedule (what days and times are the lectures)?
    How much time per week is required?

I would also like to see the class curriculum. If there's a link you can point us towards, please do so Jason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My question is what level has the student ? this class is for beginners or you must have a high level drawing.

And I live outside of USA, I live in Spain (UE) and the difference of hours with USA ( depend of the coast of USA ) is important for me.

The money for me isn't a problem at this moment I'm working. on IT staff (my god I hate a lot this job).

Best Regards.

Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis,
    and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of.
    And onto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
    Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dunno if I count, but I'd love to be taking a lot of these courses. Figure drawing is a non stop journey so one of the first. I also liked the other courses you gave on color theory and composition. I also would like to see the sketchbook. Well geeze all of them

Course the problem for me is I have a full time job now so I'd have bad attendance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Already having an MA, I would pick and choose classes based on the instructors and what they are doing with their own work. For me, Jon Foster and Android represent two facets of art that I do not normally use. I do like to paint with oils over digital under paintings, so I have some common ground with Jon. But he gets a lot losser with his paints. That intrigues me. Watching Android work has opened up concepts of digital painting that I would never have grasp on my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would do this in a heart beat, where would we sign up if we can? Or is it a custom selection? Book marking this topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would be take any of these classes in a heart beat if I had the chance. Although my love is always with figure drawing, I need to work on a lot of stuff outside of figure drawing.

Last edited by lemming-clone-; June 6th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1