Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Suggest a good fantasy book

    Anyone know some real good books?

    I really like fantasy type, but more dragonish age type stuff, nothing futuristic really. Almost LOTR genre I suppose.

    Horror is great but not too long. Violence is good. Pictures are optional.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,797
    Thanks
    2,276
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    The Bible?

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You definitely should read Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to vulcant13 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    But it's good! And it's a book!

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcant13 View Post
    You definitely should read Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
    The trailer on youtube looks surprisingly interesting.

    Your serious in this suggestion right?

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    But it's good! And it's a book!
    Lol, that was funnier than I thought it would be.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
    A Wizard of Earthsea

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloocat For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocky Mountain USA
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 212 Times in 69 Posts
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

    Coolest ex-wife evar.
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell


    By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Auslander For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind...it is well written and has a great story...unfortunately if you do like it it you will then be reading the 11 others that followed.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penabled For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 271 Times in 199 Posts
    His Majesty's Dragon is an excellent fantasy/historical fiction novel, and I believe is currently available for free as an ebook.

    A Game Of Thrones is all manner of awesome, though it can be a bit challenging to read due to the absurd number of characters, and the length of the series (four books out of an eventual eight have been released so far, and each book is longer than the LotR trilogy)

    Most everything by Terry Pratchett is excellent fantasy/comedy. Small Gods is my personal favorite.

    Heroes Die by Michael Stover is an excellent sci-fi fantasy crossover, and should more than satisfy your desire for violence.

    Everything I've read by Niel Gaiman has been worth the time. Neverwhere is my personal favorite.

    China Mielville writes some awesome, dark steampunk novels. I deeply enjoyed Perdido Street Station and the Scar, though I had a hard time getting into The City and The City.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Eh, what the hey...

    I second the recommendation for the Temeraire series (starting with His Majesty's Dragon - US title - or Temeraire - UK title.) No real magic to speak of, but an alternate-world history wherein the Napoleanic wars feature airborne Dragon Corps on both sides, with dragons serving as flying warships. The author reworks world history to include sapient dragons, with some nations persecuting them, some enslaving them, and some treating them as equals. Very well written, though I strongly suggest reading them in order. (Book 1 is largely a set-up, but still very good; the second book is where the series really comes into its own.)

    My favorite epic fantasy would be the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (Tad Williams.) The world just pulled me in...

    I also enjoyed Book 1 of the Symphony of Ages series (Rhapsody) by Elizabeth Haydon, and the first of her companion YA series, The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme (starting with The Floating Island.) What starts as traditional-looking fantasy fare takes on a life of its own in her hands. Oddly enough, I can't seem to get through the second SoA book, though that may just be me getting distracted. I also thought the second Polypheme book felt a little flat. Still, they're good fantasy, with some original twists on the standard formulas.

    Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy (first book: Ship of Magic) isn't really sword-and-sorcery fantasy, but it has living sailing ships and magic and pirates and sea serpents... and dragons, though they pop up a little later. Technically, it's in the same world as her Farseer saga, but I far prefer the Liveship series. (She just came out with a new trilogy about the dragons of that part of her world, but my budget isn't in good enough shape to read it yet.)

    There are some good young adult fantasies out there, too. Almost every book I've read by Tamora Pierce is excellent; you'd probably be interested in her Tortall quartets, which are set in a magical medieval-style world. Each quartet can be read independently, though some characters cross over.

    Oh, and if you love high fantasy but haven't read Diana Wynne Jones's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, you probably should do yourself a favor and track it down. A fun "tour guide" to standard epic fantasy fare. (She also has a couple young adult titles based on the idea of a fantasy world forced to give "tours" to offworlders, recreating cliche story events; the first one, Dark Lord of Derkholm, is fun to read, but the second one kinda falls apart at the end.)

    That's all I can think of off-hand, though I know I've read and enjoyed many others...

    (Shameless plug: I have reviews of these books and many more books at my book review site, if you're exceptionally bored... 99% spoiler-free!)
    -----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brightdreamer For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,047
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I like hobb's style of writing, and I heartilly recommend the farseer trilogy. Soldier's son trilogy is pretty cool as well, but not AS good. I'm in the middle of the first liveship traders book now, so far its somewhere in between the two.

    I also have a soft spot for R. A. Salvatores work, particularly his books about drizzt do'urden and artemis entreri/jarlaxle.

  24. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    2,304
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,763
    Thanks
    768
    Thanked 769 Times in 340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    The bible.
    LOLOLOLOL

    ...a little late.

    Also, The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    2,304
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    I seriously recommend getting into A Game of Thrones, it'll keep you reading for a while (4 books each 800-900 pages each ). But a warning: the fifth book has yet to be released (I think it was slated to be out in '09 originally...) and there are seven books planned for the series, so get ready for some serious waiting if you do get into them. The author is also .... let's say.... really big.... and hes getting on in years.... I hope he makes it to the end of the series .

    I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. My favourite fantasy novel .

    I also second Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. Such a magical book...

    Also Dune although it's Scifi, has some elements that are just so mystical/spiritual/pseudo-science-magic that I think it borders on fantasy. It also has swords. SWORDS... in the FUTURE!!!! Yeah.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to bogan For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Do any of these have a large cast of characters?

    I was kinda hoping for that too.....

  33. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    His Majesty's Dragon is an excellent fantasy/historical fiction novel, and I believe is currently available for free as an ebook.

    A Game Of Thrones is all manner of awesome, though it can be a bit challenging to read due to the absurd number of characters, and the length of the series (four books out of an eventual eight have been released so far, and each book is longer than the LotR trilogy)

    Most everything by Terry Pratchett is excellent fantasy/comedy. Small Gods is my personal favorite.

    Heroes Die by Michael Stover is an excellent sci-fi fantasy crossover, and should more than satisfy your desire for violence.

    Everything I've read by Niel Gaiman has been worth the time. Neverwhere is my personal favorite.

    China Mielville writes some awesome, dark steampunk novels. I deeply enjoyed Perdido Street Station and the Scar, though I had a hard time getting into The City and The City.
    Ah, large cast Might enjoy that personally

  34. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The Bible?
    Suggest a good fantasy book

  35. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    too bad the bible isnt a "book" but a library of books. self-owned

  36. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightdreamer View Post
    Eh, what the hey...

    I second the recommendation for the Temeraire series (starting with His Majesty's Dragon - US title - or Temeraire - UK title.) No real magic to speak of, but an alternate-world history wherein the Napoleanic wars feature airborne Dragon Corps on both sides, with dragons serving as flying warships. The author reworks world history to include sapient dragons, with some nations persecuting them, some enslaving them, and some treating them as equals. Very well written, though I strongly suggest reading them in order. (Book 1 is largely a set-up, but still very good; the second book is where the series really comes into its own.)

    My favorite epic fantasy would be the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (Tad Williams.) The world just pulled me in...

    I also enjoyed Book 1 of the Symphony of Ages series (Rhapsody) by Elizabeth Haydon, and the first of her companion YA series, The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme (starting with The Floating Island.) What starts as traditional-looking fantasy fare takes on a life of its own in her hands. Oddly enough, I can't seem to get through the second SoA book, though that may just be me getting distracted. I also thought the second Polypheme book felt a little flat. Still, they're good fantasy, with some original twists on the standard formulas.

    Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy (first book: Ship of Magic) isn't really sword-and-sorcery fantasy, but it has living sailing ships and magic and pirates and sea serpents... and dragons, though they pop up a little later. Technically, it's in the same world as her Farseer saga, but I far prefer the Liveship series. (She just came out with a new trilogy about the dragons of that part of her world, but my budget isn't in good enough shape to read it yet.)

    There are some good young adult fantasies out there, too. Almost every book I've read by Tamora Pierce is excellent; you'd probably be interested in her Tortall quartets, which are set in a magical medieval-style world. Each quartet can be read independently, though some characters cross over.

    Oh, and if you love high fantasy but haven't read Diana Wynne Jones's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, you probably should do yourself a favor and track it down. A fun "tour guide" to standard epic fantasy fare. (She also has a couple young adult titles based on the idea of a fantasy world forced to give "tours" to offworlders, recreating cliche story events; the first one, Dark Lord of Derkholm, is fun to read, but the second one kinda falls apart at the end.)

    That's all I can think of off-hand, though I know I've read and enjoyed many others...

    (Shameless plug: I have reviews of these books and many more books at my book review site, if you're exceptionally bored... 99% spoiler-free!)
    Thanks

    Now that I am reading descriptions I have a better idea of what I am looking for....

    -Semi large cast (20+ characters ?) preferable
    -Dark age time period, castles and the like
    -Creatures are a must
    -No sappy love stories but a little is fine
    -Violent
    -A story that really compels you and sinks you into that story and is hopefully a surprising/intelligent concept
    -Steampunk would be an interesting element
    -Magic is cool
    -I really love the movie Willow, LoTR, Braveheart, Reign of Fire, Dragonheart and Eragon.
    -Somethin that really makes you think too

    I hope Im not getting too descriptive now lol. Might have to write my own

  37. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBomb View Post
    Also Dune although it's Scifi, has some elements that are just so mystical/spiritual/pseudo-science-magic that I think it borders on fantasy. It also has swords. SWORDS... in the FUTURE!!!! Yeah.
    That sounds cool as hell but, future.....and Scifi......eh I dunno........hmmmmmm

  38. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    320
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 188 Times in 105 Posts
    The Qur'an... hur hur hur... featuring the Invisible prophet

    You can try the Children of Hurin, but i think you have already seen it. It's shorter and better than LOTR. Other good book is Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden. It's Warcraft novel, but it's surprisingly very strong book and it tells the story of how the orcs turned from peaceful people to rage murdering machines. You don't need to know much about the games to get it.

    Or screw books and play games. Dragon Age: Origins has dragons as the name suggests and it's kinda LOTR rip-off, but still the best fantasy game out there

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:


  40. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 774 Times in 261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeris82 View Post
    Now that I am reading descriptions I have a better idea of what I am looking for....
    I second A Song of Ice and Fire. Except for steampunk, it fits your bill. George RR Martin is an incredible writer, too.

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:


  42. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    same place as ever
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 695 Times in 467 Posts
    + 1 to George R R MArtin. I don't read any fantasy anymore, but that series has always stuck with me. Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Throne also was a big favorite of mine. And anything from Neil Gaiman still is.

    I also firmly believe you also can't go wrong with the real old school stuff like R E Howard's Conan stories and Clark Ashton Smith's tales, though that's all a lot less high fantasy than what you might be going for. And Jack Vance of course. Probably extremely outdated in this day and age, and the writing style is an acquired taste, but for sheer imagination and depiction the guy can't be beat. Check out Lyonesse and his stuff from the Dying Earth cycle (eyes of the overworld etc)

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:


  44. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Well Wheel of Time is allways brilliant.

    And Terry Pratchet is guaranteed to make you laugh.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:


  46. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    A few of my personal favorites:

    The Black Company by Glen Cook.

    Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson.

    All of the Elric of Melnibone books by Michael Moorcock (start with The Stealer of Souls, obviously)

  47. The Following User Says Thank You to redacted For This Useful Post:


  48. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 70 Times in 9 Posts
    Malazan book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
    Series of 9 books with the 10th and final to come early next year.
    Takes a bit of getting into but well worth the effort. Read it now.

    Also agree with people about Terry Pratchett

    Also Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Not high fantasy but very cool.
    This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it.
    - Bernard Black

  49. The Following User Says Thank You to Nhil For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is this book any good?
    By Saintmaikeru in forum Art Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
  2. Fantasy Forest: The good and evil forms
    By tildat in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 24th, 2012, 06:24 AM
  3. Looking for a good resource on fantasy anatomy/kinetics
    By Rainwalk in forum REFERENCES & INSPIRATIONS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM
  4. Is this a good book?
    By elyo11 in forum Art Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: September 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
  5. need a good book
    By |NTeRN in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 30th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.