boring bot

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: boring bot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

boring bot

Could use help on proportions/perspective and some suggestions on how to make the ligaments look more interesting.
    I think the function of this bot would be to do some sort of lifting work and monitoring activities but he'd live in a deserted facility.
    So in other words hes a little bit dirty but his environment was sterile not too long ago.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig the design so far, but I think he'd look a lot less awkward with some thicker legs to support his rather top-heavy body... especially if he's going to be lifting stuff. Some scratches and scrapes would be good too... especially on his hands.

Speaking of hands, I wonder about his thumbs... they seem to be placed in different places on the hand. The thumb on his right hand (our left) looks to be completely worthless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah yes you got a point there. He'd probably break the legs hes got right now.
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    And yeah I thought the thumbs looked off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The design looks very cool!

In general, it looks like he'd have a lot of trouble moving...most of his joints look like the external plating would bind if they bent much from their present position, and I don't see any way his head can turn from his ribcage, or his upper body can twist from his pelvis--which means he'll have to move his entire body to even look around.

If all he needs to do is walk around and shoot things, that might not be a problem. If he needs to move in a more complex way, it might be a good idea to rethink the engineering of the joints.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input Giacomo.
    I was thinking about the whole thing with the head being immovable too, but
    I don't think mobility will be that important for this guy.
    I'd imagine he mostly roams around and picks up things, he is slow moving but capable of delivering some damage with those claws.His technology was current at the time but dated now. Think like the poor quality of the cameras that came with mobile phones a few years ago.
    That's also a good point you made about the ribcage though. I agree that currently his body is too stiff to perform even simple tasks like bending over.
    I'll see if I can try and make the hips more functional so that when he does bend over they'll support his upper weight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I made some changes to his legs and tried to fix his thumbs a bit.
    I'm not sure what to do about his head area around his shoulders. Right now I just have two blocky plates which don't seem to have much purpose aside from hindering his ability to move his head. Any ideas on how to fix this area would be great. I'm still having trouble with his proportions on the left our right) side.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LRomel; June 7th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head looks like it could naturally extend out of its little recess there and swivel around. Might not be too much of a stretch for it to place it in there to be more compact or protected when it doesn't need to scan the area.
    Overall it looks just slightly more armored than it needs to be, though...you could give it more flexibility and a more industrial appearance by showing more of its inner workings. The knee and foot guards you've added make it more militaristic, and I'm scratching my head more as to how it moves about. If you must, perhaps have the plates overlap instead of side-by-side?
    There's also a bit of assymetry which I'm not sure is intended. The right forearm guard is more squared off than the left, and the two feet are different. The bicep area, too; I can't see the equivalent of that circular disc on its other arm.
    Other than that, I'm liking the design of it. It's got a good silhouette. The white is a good color choice to show off its wornness; some dirt and dust at the feet or hands would clearly show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the art work, but you know what?

I would work in Maya (did you actually use this program?) and would polish the texture making it plastic white.....
    but I don't know)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tangleworm: Thanks for the comments on the legs. I agree with what you said about the foot and knee guards. He's starting to look more like he's meant for combat than lifting things. I've also noticed the hydraulic pipes at the arms don't make sense where they are placed right now and the knees (though not intended) look like they are sealed together rather than looking like there's a kneepad there which is what I was going for. I think I'm going to sketch out the details of the joints separately so I have a better idea of how I want things to move. This was based off of an old drawing I did for something else so having a clear view of the mechanics of this guy in the drawing phase was kind of skipped over.

SusanMart: Yes I do use Maya and after I do the painting of this dude I want to make a model of him. Right now I don't think it would be the best idea to go 3D because there are some unresolved areas on this guy for how he would actually move. When I have that figure out, yeah maybe I'll do a rough model to get the perspective down quicker.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.