Commissioned Piece for Couple

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello.

My name is Tobi. I decided to join this site after some hesitation. But I really want to improve, and I accept all critiques. This image at the bottom isn't all that old, but nor is it new. The reason why is because lately I've been doing flatcoloring, and I want to show the shading I do. I know it doesn't look the best but, I want to redo this in the future, after I've improved, for my own personal satisfaction. I've been drawing for a few months now, and I want to stray away from the anime style I've done in the past. I want to slowly form and develop my own style. Please critique.

Thank you.
    ovo

Name:  freshie.png
Views: 239
Size:  667.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the poses of the characters, did you get them from the reference? Coloring could be better. There is lot of grays where could be added some color, also everything looks like it is from the same material

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I am still working on texture, looking into that, tutorials and such. No, I didn't use reference for that pic. I'm the type of person who realizes his mistakes AFTER he finishes a picture, so I can see all of the problems there are, which I find hard to believe I didn't notice while I was drawing, haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is what I could spot anatomically on here. There's probably more, but I'm still learning about this stuff myself. As for the coloring though, I agree with Danilo about everything looking to be made out of the same material. Take a look at how skin catches light compared to the way clothing does, and do some life sketches of what you see. The coloring itself could definitely use some work; try utilizing the color wheel for your shading. I hope this helped some. ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sort of thing isn't something I'm very familiar with, so I won't say much about how it looks overall other than it's pleasing enough to look at, I kinda like the characters, and it has a nice feel about it.

There are a few little bits I think you could improve:

His bass guitar - the neck seems to bulge out in the middle. Guitar necks usually start out widest at the body end and get narrower as you go along. The cutaways look a little odd and thin and like they've been hacked out by someone in a rush. There's also no bridge, which seems very odd to me. Maybe look at real guitars a bit closer.

Is that the start of the headstock just visible before her hair? That would make it a very small scale instrument, not really give him room to be playing it according to where his arm is, and it just looks a bit fussy and unnecessary. When objects disappear behind something, it's best to keep things clean - either make sure there is enough room to easily identify what they are, or leave them out, rather than have them 'clash'.

If you draw his elbow outside the canvas, does it look right? I'm not sure his forearm would join his upper arm correctly. Just looks a little off to me; I could be wrong.

The hands don't look great. Her right thumb looks deformed in particular, and his index finger looks a bit odd. Maybe tidy up the lines and experiment with them in different places after looking at some examples that have been done very well.

Her right animal ear looks kinda behind her head. But it's in front of him... makes the whole area a bit hard to 'read'. It should read better if you have the ear displace some of her hair so that it looks like it's more on the side of her head.

Not sure about the eyebrow being visible above hair...

The right hand side of his body (our left) doesn't seem to marry up with where his shoulder is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys very much! Some of those I noticed after I finished drawing, embarrassingly enough, but I didn't notice the ear thing. Thank you so much for telling me. I'll be sure when I redo this to everything you guys have mentioned. I'll have to resketch this later, especially the legs on the girl and the arms of the guy. I also felt like this legs were too short, but that might be the proportion, or my shading. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was ask about reference to see if you copied the pose. the Gentlefailure's paintover is wrong, the original does not have any drawing mistakes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read that you want to stray from your anime style so I recommend what every artist recommends.. draw from life.

Watching other artist helps me. I like watching this guy - http://vimeo.com/10315223

The tutorials and resource section of concept art is also great for finding info and improving your style.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.