Art: My concept art/portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My concept art/portfolio

Hi everyone, my names Alex, don't know if this is the right section so i apologise if it isn't, just like to show you my current portfolio of concept art, obviously i'm trying to get a job as a concept artist so critiques would be welcome, the harsher the better due to recently being rejected by Rebellion, they said my work wasn't realistic enough and wouldn't be easily converted to 3D, just wondering where i'm going wrong, obviously i will be adding some photoshop pieces soon just waiting on my laptop to arrive etc. i have done some work on photoshop but that was on my pc which died a few weeks ago and never got around to uploading them anywhere So here it is, many thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

colonial marine

Zombie slayer

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks again guys & gals

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful concept work! those character drawings are stunning. as far as critique, the first piece is quite off on perspective. it the linework and detail is excellent, but the vanishing point isn't well defined.

love the detail in your 4th piece, but that guy would be falling over, he's quite off balance. Also his feet need to be bigger, as do his legs. remember to use the 7-8 head length rule.

7th piece is great, if you were to color that it would be good to see some dark foreground to light background contrast to get some perspective in there. you should be using linear perspective as well, the only way the third demension is suggested there is by overlapping. you could use at least one other method to put some realism in it

8th piece, again a few linear perspective problems in the building, but mostly its spot on. that one looks great!

really love 12, 15, and 18. excellent artwork there. hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    simply amazing work. I love the army figures that you have done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude that is some sweet art, love the guns and the guy pointing the pistol.
    good stuff keep it up

Zodiac Master/ MageBoldrim

'Player two has entered the game.'

Haven't you got work?

@$£%[/FONT]

'Player two has left the game.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You really need to work on how you draw your cloth textures. Find some reference and study how the folds work and how the light reflects off it. Your folds all look like weird rock formations. Also, if this is meant to be a concept art portfolio you'll probably want to get rid of the dino head since it doesn't really describe anything's design. The first image has bad perspective but it still does a good job of describing something, which is your main job as a concept artist. The guns look very nice. I'd like to see a 3d version of them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nobody mentions this before... So.. here I go, The human characters seem very off. In a sense the lack of knowledge of anatomy plays here. How folds work mentioned by Liffey is absolutely correct. Before you shade, try to figure out where the light source is, then add the shading accordingly.

Keep Drawing! Your car designs are better then mine... !

Greetz,

Writero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a lot of things you can work on.

The perspectives in the environments seem pretty arbitrary.

The cloth folds are completely random, the proportions in the figures are off - covering that up with a lot of detail isn't going to fool an art director. The one visible face is symbolic rather than representational.

There is no lighting in any of the images, so there's no way to tell whether you understand light and form.

The vehicles are sketchy, the perspectives are wonky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say work on your anatomy drawing, your perspective and dealing with different textures. To really make your portfolio concept artist focused you need a better understanding of their role and how they work they do reflects that role. I would say that you work in this form is more akin to illustration then concept art at the moment. You have a good start and I am certain that with some effort you could really knock out a decent concept art portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol @ the i hate babies tattoo, i think thats what it says

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with minigoth that there are too many details that seem to try to be compensating for a general lack of proper anatomy and proportions. A lot of times the head is too big and the body just kind of shrinks in size the further down it goes. I'd like to see the process of how you draw these pieces because where you're starting with the sketch is probably where you're making anatomical mistakes and just sticking with them until the end. Another thing I noticed is that your character forms often seem stiff or unbalanced; there's not really any good flow in the poses. Try looking at some exaggerated character poses like in animation to really understand the line of action, like in these sketches by Jayenti Collins: My concept art/portfolio

Other than that, I think you've done a great job with technical/ mechanical concepts, such as the guns. The vehicles are looking pretty good too! Keep up the nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah don't focus so much on detail at first, the texture is very interesting .... could lead to a stylistic stand point...... but too much ..... for right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.